• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Full Smash 64 Learning Curve (MASSIVE UPDATES)

JBSC

Smash Journeyman
i finally reached level 5 part 1 not with everyone, but still with at least falcon and jiggly maybe luigi, mario and yoshi. I still have troubles dominating fox speed and im trying to kick *** with all the chars.

Mura

Smash Apprentice
Who casted level 5 Necromancy on this thread? >_>

Level 2!!!!!

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
Hmm... all I have to say is... LOL! That's exactly what happened to me when I first started playing. :p I can remember myself going through the stages when I didn't know anything about the game.

I'd say I'm probably a level 4 now. I'm totally past grabbing (I don't think I even do, only when I'm having fun or to suicide off the edge) and I most certainly go off the edge. I can beat most of my friends but I also lose a lot too to my Samus-player friends. Right now the only thing I could do better is timing my sword technique to spike them off the edge. I think just drilling them down is so cheap...

And what's so bad about the Kirby Rock? It may sound newbie, but it's perfect for tons of stuff. Is the rock considered a bad move? :/

[EDIT] I've been reading other threads. I might still be a level 2. I dunno. The thing is, I don't think I use any... combos? At least not with Kirby, anyway... Does aerial d+A, d+A count as a combo? I do it a lot. :p

What the hell is "tilt a"? I'm using an emulator right now, but does it refer to "angling" your moves on the control stick?
I scrolled back to the first page...and this guy just made my day

tigerbombz

Smash Journeyman
that combo is lame..first of all..taht cant be done on everyone! 2nd of all...its jiggs for *** sake! samus is good for her ablity to suk dik! k thx bye

whaahppnd

Smash Journeyman
I dont think everyone necessarily goes through these "phases"
When I started playing I was pretty noob but I picked up Z-canceling within a week. Soon after I started comboing but pretty short (maybe 3 move) combos.

After that, it was all simply improving mindgames, including dashdancing and faking.

I'm at the last level for sure, considering I can beat pretty much anyone on Emularena except well known smashers (Met, Dreday etc)
and I am still improving mindgames...

I was playing Nintendude the other day, and asked him what I was doing wrong. He said I was playing fine; he was just out-mindgaming me all the time :dizzy:

felix45

Smash Lord
I wish I could say that. my combos are ****. and I dont grab enough. and I could always improve my spacing & mindgames. so I still have pleanty o room for improvement pretty much.

tigerbombz

Smash Journeyman
troll my asss!! motherfuker dnt speak wen i am on the boards. U are not high enough ranking compared to this piece. Anyways...whaahppnd, u think ur last level huh? Im pretty sure i will fukign PWN ur assss. So back the *** down the ranking system! noob! yadadada? OH yea..james bond called me, he wants me to teach him the art of OWNIGN! k thx bye

whaahppnd

Smash Journeyman
troll my asss!! motherfuker dnt speak wen i am on the boards. U are not high enough ranking compared to this piece. Anyways...whaahppnd, u think ur last level huh? Im pretty sure i will fukign PWN ur assss. So back the *** down the ranking system! noob! yadadada? OH yea..james bond called me, he wants me to teach him the art of OWNIGN! k thx bye
I'm pretty sure Johnny can pwn ur *** so i dunno why u r talkin about him being not high enuf ranking...

and you beating me has nothing whatsoever with me being in level 5... Isai ***** you too.. does that mean u should "back the *** down the ranking system! noob!"

yea thats right STFU lil ****er

PikashoX

Smash Apprentice
I dont think everyone necessarily goes through these "phases"
When I started playing I was pretty noob but I picked up Z-canceling within a week. Soon after I started comboing but pretty short (maybe 3 move) combos.

After that, it was all simply improving mindgames, including dashdancing and faking.

I'm at the last level for sure, considering I can beat pretty much anyone on Emularena except well known smashers (Met, Dreday etc)
and I am still improving mindgames...

I was playing Nintendude the other day, and asked him what I was doing wrong. He said I was playing fine; he was just out-mindgaming me all the time :dizzy:
whaahppnd youre so full of it. first off, you didn't even know about z-canceling in the first week. and you didnt perfect it until about 2-3 months after if not more. and you were a kirby player in the beginning and your combo consisted of roll+smash so i have no clue what you're talking about.

and I highly doubt that you're in the last level. my pikachu has beaten your best character the last few times that we've faced and i'm not even sure i belong in Level Five (Part 1) let alone Level Five (Part 2). To belong in part 2, you need to "beat a part 1 players with 2-3 lives". you have yet to beat my pikachu. in all honesty, i think mura's pikachu belongs in part 2 particularly after he five stocked my pikachu just the other day.

im confident that you can beat pretty much anyone on emularena except well known people...you have above average mind games...and okay technical skills but to say that youre in part 2 is pushing it.

tigerbombz

Smash Journeyman
whaahppnd, you're feeding the troll! You must resist
motherfuker better feed me! i am fukign hungry as a fukign ur mom wen he had an accident baby like you! yadada

whaahppnd? r u fuking serious?! i am soo good taht i do not even need a # as my level. Isai mite be level 5ish but fuking when u scan me with ur dbz scouter! THAT SHIET WILL BLOW!? you know wat im saying! ahahahahha...***..i am too funny. ahhaa..funny u think ur 5.2..more like 2.5 motherfuker! u heard me! feed the troll! ***..i have a feeling imma get banned but *** it! no one can stop this piece! yadadasaying?

lil *****? STFUPPERCUT

JBSC

Smash Journeyman
OMG, send the baby tiger to sleep he just need it. Lol.

Reported for truth.

whaahppnd

Smash Journeyman
man this is why i love forums...

anyway pikashox... go back and read the original post by valeom... if you don't think your level 5 then look at the last level 4... it consists of "just discovering" advanced techniques such as edgewhoring and up smashing to finish...
if you think ur at that level then i feel sorry for you

and cut the bull... when we played that last pikachu ditto i was up two lives but then i died and on your last life you had about a 100 damage and i threw you and you got lucky and lived and grabwhored ftw...
on any given day our pikachus are about even

and btw, I have beaten Mura most recently

and i was never a roll smashing kirby... i did play kirby and rolled too much at one point yes, but my combos were not "roll-smash" ... if you really think I did that, I was only down to your pikachu by about two stocks at that time which means you must have sucked pretty bad as well

so just like I said to Tiger, STFU noob!

I'd like to witness a tiger-johnny match one of these days... its funny how he doesn't say hes better than Isai but says he ownz johnny

and i'll take your advice... no more feedin the troll

whaahppnd

Smash Journeyman
sorry i never double post but i felt i needed to add something:

the last level part 2 consists of 40-50% combos...
pikashox, all you can do is play pika and use the tail-backkick-grab combos

have you ever done wall combos with Dk, fox, mario?
have you ever 0-deathed a pika or kirby on the **** tent on hyrule with mario or fox?
have you ever done jiggly air deaths on kirby/pika?

yea.. thought so...
you know i have done all of the above

all you are is a pika player who doesnt even combo fully at that

Box_of_Fox

Smash Journeyman
Lol actually Tiger you aren't... amazing. I overestimated you when we played a few nights ago, I was expecting Sensei combos and the like but I was keeping pace with relative ease :) I'll play you again once I can get on a faster comp.

Also, I think level 5 needs to be a bit more buffered out :D I have a feeling there is a larger, broader difference between 5.1 and 5.2 ....Maybe you should make a 5.15?

JBSC

Smash Journeyman
theres the level where you can move your chars with posibly no lag from any move in combat moments like when isai does up B with link ending right on the edge of a platform and the char slide and cancels the lag from the up B

tigerbombz

Smash Journeyman
motherfuker! u think ur badassss dnt u! i dnt give a *** if i aint flashy. I is oldschooL! and i take the W! tahts all that matters! k thx bye!

KEEP FEEDIng!

StealthECartman

Smash Apprentice
theres the level where you can move your chars with posibly no lag from any move in combat moments like when isai does up B with link ending right on the edge of a platform and the char slide and cancels the lag from the up B
Do you think he can do that everytime????

SmashThugZ

Smash Journeyman
Those slide off are mostly just coincidence and luck
In order to actually purposely execute it means you'd have to aim for your Up+B near a ledge, then gotta make sure you fall down at the edge of the ledge, and then gotta make sure you slide off of it
All that isn't really worth the effort of being able to recover a little faster

StealthECartman

Smash Apprentice
Those slide off are mostly just coincidence and luck
In order to actually purposely execute it means you'd have to aim for your Up+B near a ledge, then gotta make sure you fall down at the edge of the ledge, and then gotta make sure you slide off of it
All that isn't really worth the effort of being able to recover a little faster
My point exactly

PikashoX

Smash Apprentice
man this is why i love forums...

anyway pikashox... go back and read the original post by valeom... if you don't think your level 5 then look at the last level 4... it consists of "just discovering" advanced techniques such as edgewhoring and up smashing to finish...
if you think ur at that level then i feel sorry for you

and cut the bull... when we played that last pikachu ditto i was up two lives but then i died and on your last life you had about a 100 damage and i threw you and you got lucky and lived and grabwhored ftw...
on any given day our pikachus are about even

and btw, I have beaten Mura most recently

and i was never a roll smashing kirby... i did play kirby and rolled too much at one point yes, but my combos were not "roll-smash" ... if you really think I did that, I was only down to your pikachu by about two stocks at that time which means you must have sucked pretty bad as well

so just like I said to Tiger, STFU noob!

I'd like to witness a tiger-johnny match one of these days... its funny how he doesn't say hes better than Isai but says he ownz johnny

and i'll take your advice... no more feedin the troll
sorry i never double post but i felt i needed to add something:

the last level part 2 consists of 40-50% combos...
pikashox, all you can do is play pika and use the tail-backkick-grab combos

have you ever done wall combos with Dk, fox, mario?
have you ever 0-deathed a pika or kirby on the **** tent on hyrule with mario or fox?
have you ever done jiggly air deaths on kirby/pika?

yea.. thought so...
you know i have done all of the above

all you are is a pika player who doesnt even combo fully at that
First off, go and reread my post. I never said that I was in level 4; I simply said why I didn’t belong in level 5. Valoem’s system is missing an intermediate level between 4 and 5, possibly a level 4 (part 2). Secondly, you never defended yourself and state why you belong in level 5. Are you beginning to doubt your statement? I thought so. You don’t combo fluently nor can you break shields and DJC consistently. Cut the bull and lower yourself.

That was one game, and everybody knows that I play down to the level of my opponent. Besides, if I remember correctly the game before that I two stocked you and two games before that I five stocked you although you claim that you “gave up half way”. Make excuses or w/e you want like a noob, but face it you just aren’t as good as you say you are. “On any given day our pikachus are even” … I highly doubt that. Money match me and we’ll see. Any day you want. I am certain that everybody at our school will confirm that my pikachu is clearly better. It is more fluent and more experienced.

And the fact that you have the most recent win over mura is overshadowed by the fact that he only lost because you kept screaming in his ear throughout the whole match. I bet you could take malva down to 4 stocks with that strategy. I would bet my smash life that mura can 2 stock you on any given day if not 3-4 stock with money as incentive.

If I’m just a pikachu player, then why do my DK, link, samus, captain falcon, ness, and pikachu all have the most recent win in our ditto matches? Just because my pikachu can beat you on any given day doesn’t make me just a pikachu player. It just makes me a better smash player, considering the fact that I own the best character and half of the smash characters I play are better than yours. If you insist that I only use the “tail to backgrab combo”, isn’t that an insult to all the well-known players that I have beaten (btw I’m not claiming that I am better than you guys).

Now if you want to go and list everything you claim to do, then go right ahead. If you don’t remember, my DK wall combo-ed you in the **** tent and ended with a clap that killed your DK. Your fox gets a maximum of 50% damage in that **** tent mostly on drills that don’t do anything and grabs that don’t go where you want it to. Your fox is only better than mine because I can’t navigate with fox off the edge. You have no right to claim any abilities with wall combos. Your mario’s supposedly zero to death combo in the **** tent is extremely inconsistent against better players than the noobs you constantly show it off against. And you’re saying you can do the jiggly combo in the air? You have only done it once in your life and that was against a junior who touches a controller for two minutes a day. So don’t accuse me of not pulling off all these combos that you stole off malva’s videos because frankly, you can’t do them either.

Your kirby, back when you used him as your main, didn’t “combo with three moves” like you said it did. Your moves were stagnant (and to some extent still are), and consisted of smashing, rolling, and drilling. If you meant “doing three moves”, then you’d be correct. Yes my pikachu was only 2 stocks better than your kirby, but remember…I had yet to learn z-cancel and you apparently learned it within the first week. I never said my pikachu was amazing back then, and I’m not saying that now either. You have trouble interpreting my words and you become delusional and make up sh*t. I was mainly focusing on the fact that you didn’t combo that well with kirby if at all, not how good my pikachu was. I only did three moves with pikachu, and you named them correctly. This isn’t about how good my pikachu is, though you seem to like talking about that. Its about how you rate yourself highly than you are and how you think you’re so good.

In all honesty, if you didn’t go and post all arrogant on smashboards, you would have much more respect. Your pikachu, and only your pikachu, is above average but you are rating it higher than it should be. To put things in perspective, excluding me, you aren’t even in the top 3 in our school in terms of best character. So you might want to lower that confidence.

valoem

Smash Journeyman
Im gonna update this system alot and now that i have gotta better. I think there are several more levels. I also didnt include mind games in this system becuase how one learns mind games is too unique for me to rank so i think i will leave that out.

However I am going to say that PikashoX you are definately level 5 quality. I think that level 4 may have a part 2 and I am also certain now that there is a level 6.

whaahppnd

Smash Journeyman
First off, go and reread my post. I never said that I was in level 4; I simply said why I didn’t belong in level 5. Valoem’s system is missing an intermediate level between 4 and 5, possibly a level 4 (part 2). Secondly, you never defended yourself and state why you belong in level 5. Are you beginning to doubt your statement? I thought so. You don’t combo fluently nor can you break shields and DJC consistently. Cut the bull and lower yourself.

That was one game, and everybody knows that I play down to the level of my opponent. Besides, if I remember correctly the game before that I two stocked you and two games before that I five stocked you although you claim that you “gave up half way”. Make excuses or w/e you want like a noob, but face it you just aren’t as good as you say you are. “On any given day our pikachus are even” … I highly doubt that. Money match me and we’ll see. Any day you want. I am certain that everybody at our school will confirm that my pikachu is clearly better. It is more fluent and more experienced.

And the fact that you have the most recent win over mura is overshadowed by the fact that he only lost because you kept screaming in his ear throughout the whole match. I bet you could take malva down to 4 stocks with that strategy. I would bet my smash life that mura can 2 stock you on any given day if not 3-4 stock with money as incentive.

If I’m just a pikachu player, then why do my DK, link, samus, captain falcon, ness, and pikachu all have the most recent win in our ditto matches? Just because my pikachu can beat you on any given day doesn’t make me just a pikachu player. It just makes me a better smash player, considering the fact that I own the best character and half of the smash characters I play are better than yours. If you insist that I only use the “tail to backgrab combo”, isn’t that an insult to all the well-known players that I have beaten (btw I’m not claiming that I am better than you guys).

Now if you want to go and list everything you claim to do, then go right ahead. If you don’t remember, my DK wall combo-ed you in the **** tent and ended with a clap that killed your DK. Your fox gets a maximum of 50% damage in that **** tent mostly on drills that don’t do anything and grabs that don’t go where you want it to. Your fox is only better than mine because I can’t navigate with fox off the edge. You have no right to claim any abilities with wall combos. Your mario’s supposedly zero to death combo in the **** tent is extremely inconsistent against better players than the noobs you constantly show it off against. And you’re saying you can do the jiggly combo in the air? You have only done it once in your life and that was against a junior who touches a controller for two minutes a day. So don’t accuse me of not pulling off all these combos that you stole off malva’s videos because frankly, you can’t do them either.

Your kirby, back when you used him as your main, didn’t “combo with three moves” like you said it did. Your moves were stagnant (and to some extent still are), and consisted of smashing, rolling, and drilling. If you meant “doing three moves”, then you’d be correct. Yes my pikachu was only 2 stocks better than your kirby, but remember…I had yet to learn z-cancel and you apparently learned it within the first week. I never said my pikachu was amazing back then, and I’m not saying that now either. You have trouble interpreting my words and you become delusional and make up sh*t. I was mainly focusing on the fact that you didn’t combo that well with kirby if at all, not how good my pikachu was. I only did three moves with pikachu, and you named them correctly. This isn’t about how good my pikachu is, though you seem to like talking about that. Its about how you rate yourself highly than you are and how you think you’re so good.

In all honesty, if you didn’t go and post all arrogant on smashboards, you would have much more respect. Your pikachu, and only your pikachu, is above average but you are rating it higher than it should be. To put things in perspective, excluding me, you aren’t even in the top 3 in our school in terms of best character. So you might want to lower that confidence.
w00t for long asss posts...

im not even gonna bother readin all of that

all i have to say is ... there was NOTHING arrogant about my first post ... i simply stated i was above level 4... which you seem to agree upon... which would place me in level 5 according to valoem's system

for your reference this is exactly what I said:
and i am much more respected than you online considering you don't even play online so stfu

if you think that because I am rating myself level 5 I am ranking it "higher than it should be" then you obviously don't understand valoem's system

and tiger... you haven't played him

Top Bottom