• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Heavenly Scriptures:A Pit Q&A thread!

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Okay so like,

I've always wondered this. I think Pit is mad fun and I enjoy playing as him (Michigan does NOT want me to because I play super gay sometimes) but like admittedly I could learn a lot more about the character. Anyways..

Why do people Wing Dash? I know that when you use Wings of Icarus that windbox comes out and opponents get pushed back but like what are the benefits to using that? Some people tell me its just a flashy thing but I feel like there's some odd uses for it. Just really curious. I never considered it to be "essential" but I wanna learn the character more. So if someone could enlighten me with a detailed response...I will love you. Thank you <3

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
1. it cancels most projectiles

2. it pushes people away so doing it is a great spacing method

3. can push people off platforms from underneath

4. is an alternative movement out of shield option

5. sets off snake's mine safely

6. wing chase is fast and mobile

ill elaborate more later

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I use it to bait people into shields so I can freely walk up and grab them >_>

I also use it to PC and land in situations it wouldn't normally be possible.

BOrookie

Smash Cadet
This might have been already answered in this or anther thread, but what is auto-canceling? I heard someone say that it gives pit an advantage in the air because he can do it to all of his moves. So my question is, what is it, and how do you do it?

DeLux

There are four types of landing lag that people typically associate with aerials:

First, there is soft landing lag, which occurs when landing from a specific height. It's the shortest of the landing lags.

Second, there is hard landing lag, which occurs when landing from a taller height/moving at a faster fall rate. It's slightly longer than soft landing lag.

If you land during an Aerial attack, you go into aerial landing lag. This is typically longer than the soft/hard landing lag in most cases. Different Aerials have different aerial landing lags.

If you land after doing a subset of certain special moves without landing before, you go into RCO lag, which is like the end of all time.

Essentially autocancelling an aerial let's you circumvent aerial landing lag and instead go into only hard/soft landing lag even though you're still technically in aerial cooldown.

DeLux

Just practice at what heights you can throw out an aerial without Pit having horrible delay before he can act when he lands >_>

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
No, not really. It's just something you have to do.

If you WoI and hit opposite on the control stick and hit the same direction your facing on the c-stick that makes the bair iirc.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong. Cuz i don't remember lol. It's muscle memory at this point.

Unsound_Shinobi

Smash Apprentice
Possible Third Pit Spike?

Hey, sorry I didn't wanna look through the many many pages of Q&A but I wanted to check on a possible third spike my friend and I may have found. We were messing around in a multiplayer match when I jumped off stage to attack with my uair and he countered with a dair which immediately killed me at 48% on castle siege a fair way above the blast line. As for the details if I remember properly it was the very edge of the hit that hit me, and I was surprised it didn't launch me up like it usually does when I use it. We've been unable to duplicate the results of this possible spike, and I was wondering if anyone had frame tested it for possible spike potential or anything?

Unsound_Shinobi

Smash Apprentice
For Personal Help

Also, if anyone is still in this thread, I'd like to ask some advice. I recently started maining pit within the last few months, before him I played Mario, Bowser, and Zelda. I've also been going to more and more tournaments lately in the central New Mexico area where I generally place in the upper 70% between12-35 players depending on the tournament. I also friendly match with one of my close friends who tends to place in the top 3 in the smaller tournaments, and the top 5 in the larger tournaments. My biggest flaw that I've noticed more and more when watching replays is that I tend to have very bad spacing, I have a hard time avoiding attacks, and a horrible tendency to try and PSG an attack or go into a roll. My friend always comments that my rolls are very predictable, but he has a very hard time countering them due to roll>counter dsmash with PSG, although in tournament I feel most people can punish the roll fairly easily.

Basically, does anyone have any tips for improving my spacing against characters such as DK and Falcon? Also what are some good alternatives to PSG or dodge rolling other than short hop into a fast air based on the attack?

I have bad experiences with spot dodging in most situations playing DK but it tends to work against most other characters, I.E. they attack I roll behind them, they dsmash I spot dodge into a dsmash/fsmash depending on positioning.

Any advice is welcome I'm just having a hard time improving, even when I watch the replays I have a difficult time realizing what I could do better. I feel like I'm at a skill plateau where I won't get any better without some serious reconfiguration of my strategies.

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
Dair is not a spike, castle siege is a weird stage. Also, change your font color plz. And spacing is something that comes naturally when playing so just try to hit them and avoid their attacks at the same time.

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
DK, Falcon (and just about any other character without projectiles) can't really do anything if you just camp and spam arrows. Spacing isn't an issue if they can't approach you. Use your arrows to harass, and bait a punishable approach (especially vs DK, who you could get a decent Fthrow CG in on low %).

You'd have a much better chance close up in the air rather than on the ground. Unless you're behind DK getting baired, I don't think there's much either of them could do to beat Pit's aerial game.

Not saying it's necessarily good advice, just the first things that come to my mind. GL =)

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
well im back so ill contribute. fyi i invented the dk MU.

nair utilt and slow jab>infinite jab or back off, along with spammed arrows and uair-ing him whenever he is in the air will win u the MU. seriously he has to approach and then every move we have is faster/has more priority and eats his pathetic shield. plus u don't have to try to actually kill DK, just get him offstage and mirror him. if you want super specific stuff pm me

Unsound_Shinobi

Smash Apprentice
Dair is not a spike, castle siege is a weird stage. Also, change your font color plz. And spacing is something that comes naturally when playing so just try to hit them and avoid their attacks at the same time.
Sorry didn't expect it to be that vibrant of a blue when I set it, and yeah we tried to get the spike to work again for a few days and tried it in slow motion trying specific areas of the sword. I'm assuming it was just a random miracle on his part or something haha.

Don Guero

Smash Journeyman
Hey, sorry I didn't wanna look through the many many pages of Q&A but I wanted to check on a possible third spike my friend and I may have found. We were messing around in a multiplayer match when I jumped off stage to attack with my uair and he countered with a dair which immediately killed me at 48% on castle siege a fair way above the blast line. As for the details if I remember properly it was the very edge of the hit that hit me, and I was surprised it didn't launch me up like it usually does when I use it. We've been unable to duplicate the results of this possible spike, and I was wondering if anyone had frame tested it for possible spike potential or anything?
this has happened to me too, its almost impossible to duplicate

Unsound_Shinobi

Smash Apprentice
Questino About Videos

So I have a lot of replays between me and some friends, and some of them I wouldn't mind being critiqued, but I'm not entirely sure how to go about posting them? I have an SD card to move the files from Wii to computer, but from there how do I put them on Smash Boards?

BOrookie

Smash Cadet
So I have a lot of replays between me and some friends, and some of them I wouldn't mind being critiqued, but I'm not entirely sure how to go about posting them? I have an SD card to move the files from Wii to computer, but from there how do I put them on Smash Boards?
If they are Pit videos, you can post them in this thread.

To post the video, you have to go into the "advanced post" page (under quick post on bottom) and link it.

OR you could type the URL in quick reply using this code: (URL="YOUR VIDEO LINK HERE")(/URL) <------Replace ( with [ and ) with ]

zFlashyStyle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
T-Type
What do i practice?I hate going to trainning mode and just think of what to do.I been doing the UpB to like dair cancel thing,i really dont know the real name of the AT.I also been doing the Arrow looping but im still bad so yea w.e.
So yea guys if you guys could tell me what to pracrtice i will really like that.
~

Unsound_Shinobi

Smash Apprentice
Question about Pit's CG

What characters can Pit chain grab? I can do it to Donkey Kong at 0% but after the second grab he grabs me before I can grab him. I think I might be waiting a little bit too long to grab maybe? Any advice for Pit's grab game in general? I like d-throw to uair to retreat lately.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Decided to try out Pit after playing Uprising for a couple weeks. :p
Read through the guides, just a couple questions left.
1. What should I be momentum cancelling with? By the looks of the frame data I would have to say U-Air, but I'm not sure.
2. Should Jab1 or Jab2 be cancelled when jab cancelling? Or does it matter?

Unsound_Shinobi

Smash Apprentice
You guys can't find it when it's listed right under this thread? You serious? Lmao

:phone:
I didn't realize I had some settings on that only showed threads that had been active in the last month haha, I was able to find one with an exceptional amount of data by Maharba though, I'm guessing that's the one I was supposed to be looking at.

Unsound_Shinobi

Smash Apprentice
Also, any advice for the DACG? How different is it from a normal dash grab? When I input the c-stick then shield he continues the dash attack, it feels much more difficult than DACUSing with Sheik haha.

HariKyuubi

Smash Journeyman
Uhm... Any advice on the Olimar matchup? This has to be my worst personal one. I know he outcamps us, and I should get him in the air, but I'm still having trouble with my approach... u_u

Top Bottom