• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Impact Site (Now with pictures!)

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Umm... Why put that in the match-up thread and not the social thread?

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
cant believe I got infracted. See if I ever make awesome pics for oli boards again.

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
it does.

your mods are nazis. I guess the only oli pics they allow is pics of oli pivot grabbing

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
a while ago someone proposed an idea very similar to zoris. U could of volunteered to do a write up on a mu or revise a large portion of of on already done. I heavily revised thh marth mu. check it out. put it in the impact site if u want.

(Special thanks to BOB SAGET! for revising this entire Marth summary for me. He wrote a large portion of it.)
• Behaviour :
There are 3 qualities that make a good Marth. A good Marth knows how to space well, pressure you with tilts, aerials, and dancing blades, and knows how to win off stage using fairs and the occasional dair.

Tippering- This is what happens when Marth hits his opponent with the tip of his sword on any sword attack. It induces more knockback and more damage. His attacks will kill much sooner.

• Her scaring moves :
-Fair: Easily Marth's best aerial. It's got range, it's disjointed, if tippered it's strong, and not it makes for a great WoP (wall of pain). He can use 2 in one short hop. If he lands a fair on you, he can usually combo it into dancing blade to rack up even more damage. Basically, his fair outclasses yours. Don't try to do the downthrow->fair combo on Marth past maybe 0-5%. If he DIs correctly, his fair will beat out your fair so you will get hit instead! He can also kill latched pikmin with this move. To avoid being mauled with fair simply walk away from fairs range. When there's ending lag quickly grab, or if you wanna be unorthadox upb. You can also spotdodge and then use a tilt or smash, though grabbing would be your safest, most reliable option.

When you're caught in a WoP, whistle and airdodge to get to safety. Don't attack back with aerials! He'll outrange you. If he WoPs you offstage, You can upair coming from below to get back. That's always safe.

Marth on the ledge- Marth players generally tend to use a fair from the ledge to protect themselves while they get back on. Don't stay close. Shielding, then grabbing won't work if he's behind the ledge. Just chuck purple pikmin at him to screw him up, and try to catch him with an fsmash or grab as he lands back onstage.

"Also Olimar is small so if Marth is spamming f-air then time it and run under him. I play against Marth all the time trust me it works. I know shield grabbing is hard, but when it comes down to it there are times when you can grab him. You just have to make the most out of your opportunities."
-Whodat

-Dancing Blade (sideb): This is possibly the most complicated move in the game to master (and to explain). It has multiple uses for Marth. It's great shield pressure and/or damage if he uses the green(down) portion of it. The blue(up) is great for knocking people into the air (plus it can kill), and the red will just knock you off the stage for edgeguarding opportunities. You CAN shieldgrab the entire thing if your shield is full, but don't count on it every time. Just be aware that if it isn't full, dancing blade will cut it. Dancing blade will easily cut through your pikmin as well.

Try to know it's range before hand. If you know where its hitbox is and will be after and while he's using the move, you can roll behind him and punish or you can pivot grab him. You can't attack him while he's using it. Don't retaliate. Just run and/or (if you can) shieldgrab, or pivot grab it.

-Dolphin Slash(upb): Things to know: It's great OoS (out of shield). It has invincibility frames during the first 5 frames and sends out a hitbox on the 5th. C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!!!

It has considerable after-lag as well. When you think he'll use it, shield then punish in the air the after lag. Also, this:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=175891

-Fsmash: It's powerful when tippered and it's fast. However fsmash can no longer hit you on the ledge like melee. Avoid the attack when used onstage. Just shield, or spotdodge to avoid being hit then punish wih a grab or smash attack.

• How to win ?
GRAB! You must grab to win. Find openings- most of marth's fatal attacks have a decent amount of after lag. Grab then set up grab combos. Marth has no projectiles, so camp a lot. Chuck a lot of pikmin, and keep chucking them! When he's away from you there's no reason not to. Your goal is to pressure Marth into making mistakes. Then you find openings, and you punish! Marth will need to space well to touch you, so don't let him breathe!

"The key to this match up is knowing where their attacks will stop so you can be right out of range and grab them"
-Skank (Asob)

Also, keep in mind that thrown purples are unusually good at disrupting his approaching, pressuring, and stage control game in this matchup.

• Match-Up 40-60: (hard)
It's a fun matchup. It's a battle of the minds. It's all about great spacing when fighting Marth, and sadly, that's what he's good at.

He has his faults. Here's a list: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=183759 :3

• Recommended stages:
There aren't really any stages that Marth isn't good at. He's one of the most versatile characters in the game. He's good on platforms, good on stages without platforms, he can maneuver around obstacles on stages such as norfair and doesn't have trouble WoP edgeguarding anyone anywhere... except maybe Metaknight. Here's a thread about Marth's good stages that I dug up: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=172505
Really, just pick a stage you're comfortable with. Final destination is a good option because it's a flat stage with no platforms- Perfect for chucking pikmin.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I'm a little iffy on Dite doing the snake writeup lol if only because we really don't know much about him, or his competition.

but i dunno

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
DITE should do the Fox and R.O.B. matchups.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
THE FOLLOWING PEOPLE STILL NEED TO DO THEIR SUMMARIES (caps):

Diddy Kong: RichBrown

Fox: Fino
R.O.B.: Fino

Ice Climbers: PS
Luigi: PS

Kirby: Hilt

Lucas: Denti

Wolf: Dabuz

Olimar: Weruop
G&W: Weruop

Snake: IcyLight
Yoshi: IcyLight

Set me to "ignore" now because I'm going to start riding the hell out of you guys in a little while since Zori seems unwilling to do it (let's say a week and a half).

1. Zori, update the OP with dabuz's MK writeup, please.

2. Hilt, something is better than nothing on the Kirby matchup. You can always update it when you play him more.

Geddan

Smash Ace
i don't think icy or weruop are going to be posting again any time soon. i don't know where fino is in terms of writeup progress, and some one would have to post them for him. dabuz.... logic, i haven't seen him post much on here lately, same goes for rich.

denti and hilt...... NO EXCUSES

in the mean time have dite write everything if he wants to, he might be some sort of secret oli genius.

Dnyce

Smash Master
all top olimars are lazy :3 (unless dite somehow manages to break that rule xD)
I appreciate your ennobling comment even though I have yet to procure any tournament results. From my understanding, composing an essay on a match-up would be ill taken. Both Zori, in a private message, and Hilt question the foundation of my deductions as they apply competitive play. This has persuaded me to continue posting as I have. Perhaps in the future I will accept the exposition challenge again.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
I appreciate your ennobling comment even though I have yet to procure any tournament results. From my understanding, composing an essay on a match-up would be ill taken. Both Zori, in a private message, and Hilt question the foundation of my deductions as they apply competitive play. This has persuaded me to continue posting as I have. Perhaps in the future I will accept the exposition challenge again.

I apologize for the inconvenience.
let me put it this way...write a matchup and i will tell you if it can be applied to high level tourney play :)

i have a feeling you are better and know a lot that you aren't letting us in on

Denti

Smash Master
i've beaten every luigi i've met. i've made sure i've gottin a MM or a tourney match or a ladder match out of them. I do this because I've never seen luigi adv and i always hafta prove to myself that ya'll arent johning me because i generally 2 stock. i'd need more demand tho.. i don't wana put serious work into completely destroying the luigi MU for our favor if no one is really guna use it. im serious about this MU being oli adv tho.. 2 stocked big lou XD and 3 stocked DS who apparently almost beats dabuz every time XD

edit: okay i lied, chic brought me down to my last stock in 1 round on his CP. XD

Geddan

Smash Ace
i've beaten every luigi i've met. i've made sure i've gottin a MM or a tourney match or a ladder match out of them. I do this because I've never seen luigi adv and i always hafta prove to myself that ya'll arent johning me because i generally 2 stock. i'd need more demand tho.. i don't wana put serious work into completely destroying the luigi MU for our favor if no one is really guna use it. im serious about this MU being oli adv tho.. 2 stocked big lou XD and 3 stocked DS who apparently almost beats dabuz every time XD

edit: okay i lied, chic brought me down to my last stock in 1 round on his CP. XD
sure? i have no weegees in my area, but in the case that someone decides to pick him up, it would be really beneficial to both myself and to the entire oli community if you were to write a guide with the given credentials that you have.

Dnyce

Smash Master
let me put it this way...write a match-up and i will tell you if it can be applied to high level tourney play :)

i have a feeling you are better and know a lot that you aren't letting us in on
Problem:
Whether or not to produce a match-up composition.

Assessment:
=*= Inputting time into something with a chance of failure would be unfortunate.
===*= Time is valuable.
=*= From reading information given by previous contributors, it appears that the objective is to lead players into epiphanies on how to play match-ups.
===*= The inspiration comes from elusively obvious little nuggets of experience, such as Olimar's jab clanks / beats Snake's forward-tilt, furnished by those who can prove qualification.
=*= Qualification nor experience cannot be determined for the time being.

Solution:
While producing a write-up may serve as a temporary convenience to the forums, the risk of failure and squandered effort would be a frivolous use of time. In an effort to maximize relevant data productivity, continuing to post in response to others seems to be logical and most beneficial.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash

DS? and if your so confident make the matchup NOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom