• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Impact Site (Now with pictures!)

Denti

Smash Master
the luigi MU.

keep in mind we have something wigi doesn't have, that's ranged attacks.

what wigi wants is to air juggle you. avoid being near him in the air as much as possible because you'll get hit and wont be able to defend your self. being underneath him and using a Uair works, this is acceptable air battle.

Don't follow up from your down throw, let him nair, then re grab. He nairs because it beats all olimar's follow ups. worse thing that could happen is he'll get away instead of using nair. when he catches on to this, start mind game following up with down throw.

pikmin tossing on the ground beats his fire spam, he's now forced to approach. he'll try many different approaches, such as bair, nair, down B, grab, and dash attack. all of which kills your smashes. when this situation happens stay on the ground and grab and pivot grab a lot. he can't kill your pikmin during a grab, so take advantage of this the most.

When luigi's air approach's start becoming predictable you can tether him. tether has more priority than he does.

down smash is the best smash in this MU. he can out punish and beat your up smash almost every time with his aerials. since luigi is so slippery that even when in his shield being hit by our down smash it causes him to slide back, in other words he can't punish our down smash well.

fire ball beats our F smash, except fire F smash will absorb it. they'll catch you with this and you'll be punished for it.

when luigi is off the stage your options to gimp him are pretty good. when he is charging his side B he wont go anywhere if he hits a pikmin, even when a pikmin is latched onto him. pikmin tossing a lot at wigi off stage is a good idea generally. when luigi uses his tornado to help him recover, you can spike him out of that.. easy kill.

You can grab him out of his tornado, you can also shield it and punish, or just jump in the air and avoid it.

you should probably ban brinstar. no need to fight this sucker at close combat in the air with a small killzone.

I cp FD mostly, if they ban that then SV, BF, or YI. these all are winnable stages

well there is my luigi MU, i didn't miss anything did I? I might have videos up soon of this MU

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Not saying you didn't do a good job, haha. It was just lacking. You didn't really talk about anything specific. Not that you didn't seem like you knew what you were talking about, it's just you were like grouping everything into one big assortment of... stuff.

There's a bunch of random things about luigi that you didn't mention that I wouldn't expect you (or many people outside of luigi mains) to know lol. My best friend is a luigi main so I know a lot of random knowledge about the character and the matchup.

Your part about tornado was propaganda. You can't always grab it. You can't always punish it after shielding.

You can only safely spike a luigi from a tornado at the end of the tornado, and a smart luigi is going to recover low with tornado, or at least far enough so that he still has room to jump to the stage and that the tornado doesn't end right where you can spike him. Also, chasing Luigi recklessly offstage will cost you a stock. If a Luigi knows how to tornado well without using his second jump, his recovery becomes much, much better, and extremely difficult to gimp. All of his aerials are rediculously fast (nair on frame three) and beat every single one of our aerials, sans uair. A smart luigi will not recover with tornado anywhere near the general area of the stage and will still have his second jump. Easy kill? Yeah right.

I could go on but there'd be no point unless I were to just do a writeup of my own, because all I'd be listing would be things you left out lol. That isn't really a writeup of the whole matchup. It's a basic list of things that we can do to him.

Denti

Smash Master
lol then my bad, i understand what your saying but it still is such an easy kill to me XD idk, it's prolly play style and personal view. i play a different type of olimar than most.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
i saw TWO flaws in your matchup write up denti...you didn't mention how luigi can shorthop moves so we can't get the upair openings AND you forgot to mention how except for with yellow, luigi can beat our upair with well timed and spaced bairs, dairs, and nairs (not kidding about this)

otherwise it was a pretty nice summary IMHO (i never say that about anything from the olimar boards :laugh::chuckle:)

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Dabuz, do you still plan on doing Wolf?

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
fdhkjshdfkjh
All right, whatever.

Denti, are you still going to do the Lucas matchup?
Thank you for picking up Pyronic_Star's slack with that Luigi MU summary, BTW. ^_^

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Saget, the writeup you linked is outdated, getting a new marth writeup would be better. That's the point of this thread. And Zori chooses who writes what dependent on who he thinks would do the best job in them.

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
your saying im ****? lol

Listen, i may not have much tourney expereince but i have mu experience.

Im the best olimar in Canada even though i havent proved it yet!

Hmmm, i dont have the best marth experience here but im willing to help.

I only wish you'd do ROB hilt!

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I'm not saying you're bad. I'm just saying that that writeup was written too long ago for what Zori was wanting.

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
i know.......

can i write a new different mu guide? Someone else who knows the mu better than me shoud do that.

Denti

Smash Master
If you write a marth guide again try to write up a few good mind games and what marths want to do to olimar and how that can be avoided. Try to avoid just talking about what the MU is, get the progessive points made. It'll shorten it making it look more atractive to read and help players more IMO.

@ coud - I don't really think I could write the best lucas MU. All i could tell you are neat things you can do, and how to avoid getting killed by lucas. I don't really have solid lucas mind games, just the regular mind games. I coudln't produce really anything guide worthy, just a bulleton of things

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Personally, I believe that something useful is better than nothing.

Zori's in charge of the thread, though. I don't know his policy on what he'll accept.
All I know is that you signed on to do it. ^^;

Tin Man

Smash Hero
your saying im ****? lol

Listen, i may not have much tourney expereince but i have mu experience.

Im the best olimar in Canada even though i havent proved it yet!

Hmmm, i dont have the best marth experience here but im willing to help.

I only wish you'd do ROB hilt!
stop goin around saying that title as if it means nothing. Regardless of if your joking or not, your getting really annoying. The results speak for themselves.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
My, I've been away too long.
Zori, have you received ANY other matchup summaries?

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Well the social thread is booming at least. It'll only be a matter of time before things pick up again. Just let things go slowly :p Push people too much and nothing will happen, haha.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
If you push them enough, they fall down. :3

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
EDIT: I had another joke here, but then I remembered that Hilt made me quit comedy.
Don't look at it, Hilt.

Denti

Smash Master
The olimar boards aren't really dead, just inactive atm... if that makes sense. People aren't having a want or need to come here but we do have people who come here when they need/want to.

What I'm thinking about doing is making a constant updating Metaknight thread where all the olimar's work together to improve the Oli vs MK MU. Why? because in order for olimar's to perform well in a tournament they are always going to have to fight a good Metaknight. It'll be a thread devoted to improving olimar's game on Metaknight. Anyone think that's a good idea? It would have videos, mind games, stages, strategies, and other useful ****. It would avoid useless information, only short bulleted facts. We'd all have to work together though..

edit: oh yea, Dite's thread would work instead rofl

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
After MLG I'll be back to my normal self and I'll be able to help more towards building up the Olimar Boards, researching, managing threads, etc. But until then, most of my time is going to go towards preparing for the tournament, sans researching a few key things that I think will be important.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
After MLG I'll be back to my normal self and I'll be able to help more towards building up the Olimar Boards, researching, managing threads, etc. But until then, most of my time is going to go towards preparing for the tournament, sans researching a few key things that I think will be important.
I c your starting the green greens stage discussion for MLG prep. I'm hosting a tournament in my region with the MLG ruleset to prepare for it (go the idea from a socal tourney).

Please do share every single key thing you find with us man.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Alright, this seems like the best place to post this (it's always hard to figure out). I was just playing a Luigi, and I made the self-discovery that dtilt clashes with fireballs and tornado, and I think nair (I seem to remember but not enough to say it confidently). I don't know how it fares against the rest of his aerials, but if it's well this could be fantastic. I apologize if this isn't a new discovery, and will withdraw my statement in shame, but if this was already known, why wasn't it somewhere easy to find? I was overjoyed when I discovered that ish! :laugh:

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
It's known but isn't spoken about too much, so I don't know who knows it lol. It's kind of a big deal if you see the opportunity, or if he's camping his *** off, but never try to clank against his Nair with anything but like... uair. Maybe... utilt sometimes but that's usually not a good idea either.

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
Yo, you guys should totally discuss Diddy Kong, or atleast have someone make a write-up for him.
I have no idea how to play vs that monkey with Oli.

MiniTroika

Smash Journeyman
Alright, this seems like the best place to post this (it's always hard to figure out). I was just playing a Luigi, and I made the self-discovery that dtilt clashes with fireballs and tornado, and I think nair (I seem to remember but not enough to say it confidently). I don't know how it fares against the rest of his aerials, but if it's well this could be fantastic. I apologize if this isn't a new discovery, and will withdraw my statement in shame, but if this was already known, why wasn't it somewhere easy to find? I was overjoyed when I discovered that ish! :laugh:
D-Tilt clashes with a lot of things. From what I recall, D-tilt clashes with DK's Smashes.

Top Bottom