• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Kokiri Konqueror

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkmelee

Smash Lord
Lol, it sort of seems like on the pros. and cons. part that you are trying to make Y. Link look better, whereas in HDL"s guide, Link looks better. But still nice guide. its good to see a Y. Link guide being made.

bboyspaz

Smash Cadet
Hey, i haven't read all of the guide yet, but i'm checking it out now. Its great, and being a decint smasher, who's looking to get into more advanced techniques, i'm loving this. thanks much

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Talk about dedication...

thespaz said:
WHOA... are you serious? :laugh: Well, I'll take that as a compliment. I'll just let you know that it is not quite finished. I am working on some finishing touches and implementing things I have learned over the past few smash sessions. I'm working really hard on the character-matchup section. I just barely got settled down here in Utah (having moved from Washington) so I will pick up the pace now that I actually have space to work in.

Thanx for the comments, guys. It'll be greatly improved in the next couple weeks here! I'll keep ya posted...

ant0n

Smash Rookie
Please do!!

i think i am gonna have to print this too.. my mom and dad took away the new TV by the comp. (i am gonna smash the hell out of them if that dont buy a new one, cuz it was 28" widescreen.... :( )

anyways.. keep it up! when you update it i am going to read it entil my eyes bleed.. or atleast entil i learned how to play properly :)

and btw "Amateurs go until they get it right. Professionals go until they never get it wrong." so true ^^

and one last thing, could you tell me some great ways to beat dorf? he is my big brothers main and i want to get revenge for all the times he owned me... :laugh:

rezz

Smash Journeyman
thanks buzz this guide rely helped

its like i say
y.link is so bad a$$ he doest even need pants :laugh:

ant0n

Smash Rookie
thespaz said:
thanks buzz this guide rely helped

its like i say
y.link is so bad a$$ he doest even need pants :laugh:
*lawl* ^^ .. but maybe it is true :) ... what am i saying!? "maybe" .. ofc it is true :laugh:

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Will do.

ant0n said:
and one last thing, could you tell me some great ways to beat dorf? he is my big brothers main and i want to get revenge for all the times he owned me... :laugh:
Well, I will certainly make the effort to post details on how to do that when I finish the guide. As for right now, you can view my tournament matches against one beast of a Ganondorf in the Richland, Washington tournament thread (http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=62318). However, I think those links may be expired. I hope to re-upload a fresh batch so more people can view those matches. If you catch me online, I could probably just direct file transfer them to you (AIM - KokiriBuzzSaw or MSN - TheBuzzSaw@GMail.com) As far as advice goes, LEARN HOW TO USE PROJECTILES. Believe it or not, there actually is a rhyme & reason to how Young Link should throw projectiles. They should not be blindly chucked. Ganondorf has no projectiles so use that to your advantage.

ant0n

Smash Rookie
Well.. i just finished a 99 stock match agains Dorf XD (lvl 9 comp) didnt win, actually i lost quite badly...
but i tried hookshoting alot.. so like like 30 stocks lost there, but it is good training.. I just let him beat me to like 100% and try to recover as good as i can when he hits me from one side of the screen to the other.. -.-

also i tried some bomb combos.. with the boomerang, like; Throw bomb(up) (new bomb) then time the throws so that thay hit eachother and hit the stupid npc xD charge bow, fire, "helicopter" (on ground) and shield throw. Then just beat the crap out of him >_<
pretty nice actually!

RTRM

Smash Apprentice
Alameda, California (Right next to Oakland)
Hey Buzz, GREAT guide so far, But I got a question. Is there any time-table on when it's gonna be completed? This guide has help my Young Link game quite a bit so far, it's even inspired me to make a new Y. Link combo vid, and trust me, it's ALOT better than my old one. Thanks for the inspiration.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Patience, young padawan...

RTRM said:
Hey Buzz, GREAT guide so far, But I got a question. Is there any time-table on when it's gonna be completed? This guide has help my Young Link game quite a bit so far, it's even inspired me to make a new Y. Link combo vid, and trust me, it's ALOT better than my old one. Thanks for the inspiration.
I thought I would be done this past week, but I've been learning so much recently that I'm taking it all in. I am going to edit some pieces, add some notes, and then finalize my character matchup section. My birthday is coming up in the first week of February so that is my goal: a birthday gift to me! :chuckle:

ant0n

Smash Rookie
Hmm. it would be very good to have a combo vid to improve my skills. looking forward to vids and Buzz's updated guide so much! ^^

Cross-Blade

Smash Cadet
Nice guide Buzz. It does help a lot.

I'm still confused on "Bomberang" though. Is there a chance you could provide a vid of what exactly it is?

Btw, happy birthday!

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Sweet deal.

Cross-Blade said:
Nice guide Buzz. It does help a lot.

I'm still confused on "Bomberang" though. Is there a chance you could provide a vid of what exactly it is?

Btw, happy birthday!
You are in luck, my friend. I just obtained my video capture cable. I will begin working on a series of vids when I get the chance. And thanx! I'm 22 finally! :)

ant0n

Smash Rookie
you know what would be great Buzz? if you could send me some money to pay for a planeticket to eagle mountain!.. then i can eat your food.. and you could teach me some things! (not... ^^) or if you pay all the Y.Link players you could set up a training camp! (we will vote on that one.. :p) i just orderd an iPod video 30gb too. smash+mp3 is really nice actually, + i can load it with all of your vids.. >_<

btw, happy birthday and nice new sig. it is kinda true tough...

well. looking forward to vids. and stuff... gonna go play some smash now!

Cross-Blade

Smash Cadet
Buzz said:
You are in luck, my friend. I just obtained my video capture cable. I will begin working on a series of vids when I get the chance. And thanx! I'm 22 finally! :)
22 eh? Sweet. I always thought the 21st birthday is the best one. :laugh: Although I still have 6 years before I reach that point. :rolleyes:

Pneuma

Smash Ace
I cannot ever see the Bomberang working.
Other than that I liked the guide. ^_^
You didn't even mention Up+B from a shield to stop combos although you use it quite a bit in your matches. Same with using a bomb to cover the distance in front of you followed by a dash attack or wavedash into hookshot.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Hmmm... lots of changes are happening. I promised to finish this thing like a couple weeks ago. However, understand that I have been working on a rather large alternate project. Understand that I will release everything at once: a new web site, my completed guide, and maybe even some supplimentary vids to help explain my tactics.

Cross-Blade

Smash Cadet
Buzz said:
Hmmm... lots of changes are happening. I promised to finish this thing like a couple weeks ago. However, understand that I have been working on a rather large alternate project. Understand that I will release everything at once: a new web site, my completed guide, and maybe even some supplimentary vids to help explain my tactics.
*relaxes in chair* I'll be waiting for them.

Sinspawn xTSx

Smash Rookie
First off I just want to say good jorb. I really liked the guide and all of your advice. I am just now getting back into smash after a long break (too long) so this really helped me the other day after I read it to get back into the game. Keep up the good work, ill be looking forward to more stuff from you. Young Link is my main, for most of the same reasons you picked him. I just prefer his speed and most of his other differences over Link. Y. Link *****, I tend to go through waves of offense and defense (covering with projectiles) though, never just one or the other.

Anyhow, job well done.

ant0n

Smash Rookie
hmm.. this is kinda off-topic. but anyways, Y. Link should have his own .. well.. instaid of Link & Y.link forum would like to have an Y.link only forum.. cant explain it better :p

Fenrir

Smash Ace
NNID
FenrirW0lf
3DS FC
3523-2051-9785
They have the "clones" together because of the constant comparison between the two. It's best to keep it all in one place than scattered across two forums.

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
buzz, i was doing myself a young link guide, but understood that no ones can use young link the same way :p this character is too much underpowered and not egnouth studied by the community... so your young link, caveman's young link and mine are learning on both 3 really different ways...

so yeah, it was only to say that young link will never reach mid tier or anything because no one agrees on how young link should be played... *sad backgrounds music*

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
THE RED SPARROW said:
Buzz would you say that Nair is the primary KOing tool for Y.Link?
I don't think any of Young Link's moves are "primary" KO tools. It's purely situational. I would have to say that the D-smash is the most common for KOs, but the N-air is most definitely a commonly used KO weapon.

Pneuma

Smash Ace
Forward tilt is not so good.

I'd say the MOST common KO moves are Dsmash, dair, nair, uair, and dtilt meteor in that order from my own experience and from watching virtually every Caveman, Buzz, and Wak YLink video. Hell I'm bored, I'll share what I have seeing as how it's 2am and I'm not getting to bed any time tonight:

Caveman plays the tightest of that list of three. He very sparingly uses dair/uair/fair and when he does, they hit. He always has one bomb in hand if not another in the air. His boomerang doesn't fly around all day, it's precise. His bow is used at just the right times. His movement is very quick and precise from wavelanding platforms and dashdancing, not the most fluid though. Absolutely NO up+b on the ground and virtually no grapple to recover.

Buzz plays pretty loose and aggressive. I would even say a bit reckless at times. I see quite a bit of dsmash and dair/uair (too much Buzz). The bombs, boomerang, and bow from you are very situational. One thing that I like that you do a lot (maybe it's just the noise it makes) is that up+b on the ground. I adore that move. It always seems like it should do more than 13% though. Your sheildgrabbing game is pretty good too, but again, that's the reckless part. You do risk the laggy moves (up+b, dash attack, grabs (if they miss), dair, uair), sadly I don't see them paying out as often as they should. You're in the fray constantly but if they predict your dsmash (which they do), I feel you forget that YLink is essentially a light character.

Wak I've seen the least of. The first thing I notice is a lot more fluid movement. A lot more well-timed wavedashes, though I can't stand your use of dair! I guess that's personal though, that attack is pretty scary. You, like Caveman, use bombs to great degree. I don't see much shield-grabbing in your game. Honestly I can't make a real set opinion without more vids, I'll work on that.
Lavagolem (ADHD) I've watched quite a bit. His style is very similar to Buzz's.
I've not seen a lick of Wife's YLink though I hear it's quite good.

I'm really a fan of the tighter YLink model that Caveman presents, using the non-laggy attacks like bombs and nair for the majority of the offense and the bigger hits only where you know they'll really count.

One thing that I like to do that I don't see very much of is a travelling bow. As far as risky moves go, it's pretty punishable. The results are immense though. Do a dashed short or fullhop jump, just a bit in front of them, or where you think they'll be. Charge your bow forward or backward, and let loose into them, follow into combos because of the teens% damage it deals and the way they get knocked upwards. There's hardly any lag after loosing the arrow. It works best to jump way past them and charge the arrow backwards (like backlanding or shooting a charged shot or DK's punches, I assume everyone knows how to do that) then dash into them. A dash attack to their feet while in the air gives a lot better knockback than dash attacks on the ground.

Another thing is bomb juggling. Throw the bomb up and just catch it when it comes down if you haven't moved. Or throw it up, jump up and catch it then throw it at the opponent. Or throw it up, jump up catch it, release it, fast fall and grab it, then throw it. Never waste a bomb if you can hit your opponent with it instead. Bombs provide fantastic mindgames. Also I've found that throwing it up is a good way to delay an opponent's advance if you're distanced. Throw it up, wavedash back, charge an arrow. They can't approach, you loose the arrow and now you have a good approach of your own.

I'm amazed with the boomerang most of all, really. It can be angled pretty absurdly, it does a LOT of damage close-range as well all know, but I think more interesting than that is how it turns opponents around (when it hits them in the back on the return trip). If you can pin an opponent towards the end of a stage, throw the boomerang over his head. The one thing in my life I wish I had gotten on tape was playing a friend's Doc. I kicked him towards the edge and had thrown a boomerang down over the edge softly. I fast fell and wavelanded to where he landed right on the cusp of the level, the boomerang hit him coming back to me (knocked him off his back), and I dtilt meteored him all pretty much in one jump. Eh, the best is never on tape.
Oh, and a returning boomerang also cancels your taunt animation if you like to taunt but don't want to risk the two-something seconds it takes. That's just a bit random. =P

Well enough with my wall of text. Sorry for any attempt at a hijack Buzz, just didn't know where else to put all my YLink ramblings. Take my advice with a grain of salt, I've never won any tournament like Buzz or Wife or Caveman has. I just see a lot of potential in YLink.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Wife said:
Young Link is fast and has projectiles. He has what I call the "little ***** factor" This means that he is a "little ***** you can't touch" because he's small and slippery and he can run away effectively. Running away, being evasive, and spamming items is really the only way to go if you want to play to win.
caveman, wak, n buzz dont seem to play completely to this style, but no matter since they all of unique ylinks <3
but aniki seems to be never spoken of, i lik his ylink. wife's quote basically describes aniki's style. he's a HUGH spammer (no ylink player is really), but his ylink is very evasive. i just realized how good his ylink seemed while making clips for my vid. if you (to whoever is reading this) havent seen aniki's ylink, you should look at the 3 vids that are floating around in the hub (or be cheap and look at my vid)

bboyspaz

Smash Cadet
wow

1st off i just wana say thats a GREAT set of clips. I'm a y.link player (obviously) and over the last couple months just got into REALLY playing smash. so i've been workin on things, and trying to learn all the terms and this video is just great. i saw just how Much of a diffrence being able to shuffle can do (i can't right now, and the speed diffrence is just amazing). and like. its always cool to see how other ppl play y.link.

But neways. i had a question. 1st off, there was one part in the clips....i think it was y.link and a sheik @ final destination.....(or whatever that one is called w/ the platforms can't remember the name :'() but y.link fell of the edge and sheik was hangin off the edge, and he had a bomb in his hand so after he did his up b it exploded so he could do it again. now i've done this myself, and i think its more of a used technique with link (am i correct?) but with y.link is there any real way of doing that other than just happening to have a bomb in your hand before you get knocked off the edge? cus what i've noticed is that his bomb really takes WAY to long to explode to do that unless you just happen to have it in your hand for a little bit before you get knocked off the edge. (i did it to my bro once (which by the way is really good) and it TOTALLY surprised him). so someone just let me know about that.

2nd, on the clips where its y.link verses ganon @ final destination. WHAT IS THAT THAT Y.LINK DOES!!!! OMG!!! when he's knocked off the edge, sorta high, and he throws his boomerang, does his air doge (with the grapple after it) and then was able to do his air dodge again??!!! was that b/c he cuaght the boomerang after the 1st air doge so it gave him another one?? cus that was like the CRAZIEST thing i've ever seen. someone just let me know about these things, i was just wondering. thanks for making that video by the way. tis WONDERFUL. watch it ALL the time. put it on my video ipod too so i LITERALLY watch it ALL the time. good stuff

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
bboyspaz said:
But neways. i had a question. 1st off, there was one part in the clips....i think it was y.link and a sheik @ final destination.....(or whatever that one is called w/ the platforms can't remember the name :'() but y.link fell of the edge and sheik was hangin off the edge, and he had a bomb in his hand so after he did his up b it exploded so he could do it again. now i've done this myself, and i think its more of a used technique with link (am i correct?) but with y.link is there any real way of doing that other than just happening to have a bomb in your hand before you get knocked off the edge? cus what i've noticed is that his bomb really takes WAY to long to explode to do that unless you just happen to have it in your hand for a little bit before you get knocked off the edge. (i did it to my bro once (which by the way is really good) and it TOTALLY surprised him). so someone just let me know about that.
yea, caveman was lucky that robmoney's sheik hit him off after he pulled out a bomb after keeping it his hand for a few seconds :chuckle: lucky :chuckle:
bboyspaz said:
2nd, on the clips where its y.link verses ganon @ final destination. WHAT IS THAT THAT Y.LINK DOES!!!! OMG!!! when he's knocked off the edge, sorta high, and he throws his boomerang, does his air doge (with the grapple after it) and then was able to do his air dodge again??!!! was that b/c he cuaght the boomerang after the 1st air doge so it gave him another one?? cus that was like the CRAZIEST thing i've ever seen. someone just let me know about these things, i was just wondering.
you right, when boomerang hits him after his air dodge+ grapple, he gets another air dodge :) but the boomerang must hit during his grapple animation.
yea, aniki is crazy. he so good at recovering with ylink and link. his link does crazy bomb jumps and he's very smart wen coming back with ylink. this double air dodge is very original, i wish more people paid attention to his ylink (maybe cause he only has 3 vids of it, i dont know :ohwell: )

bboyspaz said:
thanks for making that video by the way. tis WONDERFUL. watch it ALL the time. put it on my video ipod too so i LITERALLY watch it ALL the time. good stuff
thank you!!! :chuckle: but most of the credit should go to the players :)

bboyspaz

Smash Cadet
any tips on shuffling by the way. its seems sorta hard for me to get the l cancel right i think thats what my main problem is. and i know how to wavedash, just don't much. think that could be a flaw? i'm hoping to get videos of my and my brother playing sometime to be looked @ for tips and what not, just gotta find softwear/hardwear (for mac) to do my recording

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
him, i shuffle this way. short hop with Y, then do an aerial, then i press down AND L at the SAME time. wenever i say this to others, it NEVER works lol, but that's how i shuffle. wavedash isnt that much important with ylink or link at all. aniki NEVER wavedashes and if u look at any other ylink player, they dont use it much. there's no real purpose to wavedash with ylink unless you need spacing for a certain attack. then again, a simple dash left or right, or a backward's short hop + forward boomerang should be good enough for spacing attacks. not wavedashing isnt a flaw for all most any character. good luck on finding whatever you need to get some videos :)

bboyspaz

Smash Cadet
new video question

thanks for the tips and luckful wishes. but not, in my many times of watching this wonderful video i have another question. so i was watching and everything and i noticed alot of the y.links when they would like short hop and do like a nuetral air kick, would be able to jump pretty much just one second after that to follow it up with like the back air kick. so i was like hmm, thats pretty nice, never tried that before, so you know i'm playing the computer and what not and i realized that i couldn't do that. like, i would just be in the air doing my Nair until i decided to either fast fall and TRY to shuffle (getting a little better @ it) or just, do whatever. so how is it that they were able to get that 2nd jump in that quick to complete another air attack like that? cus i tried and just can't seem to do it.

also another opinion question. (i wish i had a vid to show) i drop bombs alot (like instead of throwing) and i do alot of running around my opponents heads jumping over them, dropping a bomb over them, throwing one @ them while the others falling and boomeranging, things of that sort. would you all say the dropping bombs technique is very useful? cus in the clips on the video i noticed most all the y.links were only throwing their bombs @ opponents to help them get closer, ot to start of a combo (like throw a boomerang run in w/ a short hop Nair. things of that sort) just trying to improve my game some. cus after seeing those videos i'm very inspired to play more often and go to more tourneys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom