• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Kokiri Konqueror

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pneuma

Smash Ace
You have to start the nair as you're rising, not while you fall in the air.

Dropping bombs is VERY useful, actually, that's a good trick to get into the habit of. Just throwing them comes out faster, but after a while gets predictable.

bboyspaz

Smash Cadet
foxandfalco said:
him, i shuffle this way. short hop with Y, then do an aerial, then i press down AND L at the SAME time. wenever i say this to others, it NEVER works lol, but that's how i shuffle. wavedash isnt that much important with ylink or link at all. aniki NEVER wavedashes and if u look at any other ylink player, they dont use it much. there's no real purpose to wavedash with ylink unless you need spacing for a certain attack. then again, a simple dash left or right, or a backward's short hop + forward boomerang should be good enough for spacing attacks. not wavedashing isnt a flaw for all most any character. good luck on finding whatever you need to get some videos :)

you know. i actually started practicing shuffling this way. and guess what??!! IT WORKED FOR ME. the thing is i was thinkin. what do you do about Lcanling things if you don't short hop? or if you are in a fight and you know. just didn't short hop @ the time? should you still fast fall and then hit L a little bit diffrent? neways, i wana thank you, i was able to get 4-5 shuffles in a row. now i just need to apply it in fights. and i'll be much better

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
im glad it helped you :)
for non short hopped aerials, i just time it normall though

Aiser

Smash Lord
After playing around with Y.link today and skimming this guide I've seriously decided to pick up y.Link, his combo ability is just to good to pass up. =o (still gonna use Link is my primary) but Y.Link is definatly under-rated xP

paraxis

Smash Cadet
very insiteful. i have to say i knew a little of these things but this really helped...y.link my be movin from 2nd to 1fst 8D

KizzoGirl

Smash Ace
I can't wait - I'm a Young Link main. Once I get enough videos of myself playing, I'll make a combo video myself : )

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Alright, peeps. The guide is cookin'. I will release updates often. Sorry about the wait. :)

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
good stuff Buzz, it's good to see nice representation for us ylink players

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Wow, everything went quiet when Young Link moved into his own forum. I think my guide had more publicity in the Link forum. No matter. I just wanted to inform everyone that this guide will be completed before E3. Life is much easier when you have a team working with you. :)

EDIT - I lost my Internet for a long time and a number of complications came up. Sorry for the delay. I have another surprise for you all instead. I'll post it very soon. :)

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Any questions about Young Link I should answer in the guide?

bboyspaz

Smash Cadet
Buzz said:
Any questions about Young Link I should answer in the guide?
i haven't checked out the update and everything yet. but i'm totally gona get into it. cus i know the last time i read it and everything it helped out so muhc. THANKS FOR MAKING SOMETHING SO FREAKIN AWESOME

Supreme Pie Ninja

Smash Ace
I haven't read your guide in a while...and I didn't catch a reply by me in this topic either...I guess I had just read the guide and went straight to smashing. ;)

Anyway, very nice job on it so far! I like, as someone mentioned earlier, how this isn't a technical guide. Like, you don't list the moveset, and %'s they do and everything. You go straight to telling us what the little guy is capable of. Kudos for that!

I wish I lived in a more lively area for smash...but alas, I'm stuck in New Brunswick...currently 2nd in the city...maybe I should move. :D

Excel_Zero

Smash Lord
Nice guide, I recently started using Young Link again (I used him a few years a go and now I'm learning how to play with him using advanced skills). Anyway when the guide will be updated or completed?

RTRM

Smash Apprentice
Alameda, California (Right next to Oakland)
1.) Your Up+B is so laggy that your opponent can give a nice WD or SpotDodge and figure out what to do with you. So I would so no. WDing out of your shield or beginning a shffl I would say is a better option, seeing as WD gives you an opp to start being a projectile prostitute, and shffling gives nice quick damage. You might get your opponent with this ONCE maybe, but it only does a small amount anyway(Can't think of exact off my haead)

2.) I would say no to this as well. The Flame Spike is not an incredibly useful attack to begin with, not to mention takes alot of practice for something you can do with a D-Tilt. Sure it's flashier, but people may view you as a prick if you intentionally do it all the time. People usually do it on accident.

3.) If Peach is coming horizantally, shes gonna make it back, so I would suggest Rang and Bombs for stun, then a nice Boot the her face. If she's coming from below the stage, you could try to Spike her, and use a D-Smash, which is a little safer.

HeroSublime

Smash Ace
RTRM said:
3.) If Peach is coming horizantally, shes gonna make it back, so I would suggest Rang and Bombs for stun, then a nice Boot the her face. If she's coming from below the stage, you could try to Spike her, and use a D-Smash, which is a little safer.
Dair is MUCH more efficient at killing floaties since it knocks them vertically where there's a whole lot less they can do about it in terms of DI and recovery.

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
RTRM said:
1.) Your Up+B is so laggy that your opponent can give a nice WD or SpotDodge and figure out what to do with you. So I would so no. WDing out of your shield or beginning a shffl I would say is a better option, seeing as WD gives you an opp to start being a projectile prostitute, and shffling gives nice quick damage. You might get your opponent with this ONCE maybe, but it only does a small amount anyway(Can't think of exact off my haead)
1.) agrees (but the version 1.0 is different, you can't DI out of YL's up B) BUT most of the time, I see them coming, and I run left, pivot, boomerang right... with pratice, it will always work

D-20 Dice

Smash Ace
RTRM said:
2.) I would say no to this as well. The Flame Spike is not an incredibly useful attack to begin with, not to mention takes alot of practice for something you can do with a D-Tilt. Sure it's flashier, but people may view you as a prick if you intentionally do it all the time. People usually do it on accident.
True. It is not that useful. It doesn't take THAT much practice though, it's just really hard to set up a purposeful one. I don't think people will ever call you that for doing this, and even if they did, it wouldn't be very often ;)

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Finally... posted... update... *chokes... dies...*

HeroSublime

Smash Ace
Depends on who you're fighting, small levels with platforms = good versus Falco, cause SHL, is practically worthless there(This is my opinion from experience, it may or may not be an all around rule). Same goes for most floaties versus Y Link.

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
My opinion is: against every characters, choose kirby 64, except against peach who never dies...

this is surely beacause I ALWAYS played people on dream land 64...

so dont listen at me until you know why DL64 is a good stage for YL >_>

HeroSublime

Smash Ace
I actually agree with that, though I'd prefer to fight some characters at Pokemon Stadium even thought it's -10 to grappling.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Pokemon Stadium is pretty much my best stage now. I play there so often that I know how to use the terrain to my advantage.

Picitt

Smash Apprentice
Any plans to finish it soon Buzz? If you need any help I would be happy to help and I am sure my others would be to. Nice work.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Hey Buzz, dont forget to mention Young Link's glitches(just for the sake of having a completed guide). Their just used to freak your opponent out and not really for anything else(As you probably already know).

There are:
The Double Hookshot glitch, where YL throws his boomerang against a wall while in the air then uses his hookshot. The boomerang should return back to him and cancel his hookshot allowing him to use it again.

The Bomb Sliding glitch, where YL sets a bomb onto the ground and throws a boomerang. The boomerang should miss YL's body(by you jumping out of its way) and instead hit the bomb..causing it to slide across the ground by itself.

The Flying Young Link glitch, where YL throws a boomerang into the air..then hookshots near the bottom of the lip of the stage. The boomerang should return to Young Link while he hangs from the hookshot, causing him to literally fly up into the air from the ledge. Only works on version 1.1, but out of all his other glitches..this is the one that freaks them out the most.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I'm gathering info for the character matchups because I want a careful overview of each opponent. It won't be so straightforward as to say which fights are an auto-win or auto-loss or whatnot. So, I haven't given up, folks. ;)

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Just so everyone knows, I haven't abandoned this project. I'm now having troubles with access to my web space. I may need to transplant. O_O

EDIT/UPDATE - Problem solved. ^_^

SmashMac

Smash Lord
Yea this guide is good man. I like how you made a separate webpage for the entire guide. It looks good. Good stuff Buzz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom