• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - NO SPOILERS, USE THE SPOILER THREAD PLEASE

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
And to think the internet blew up over GS 8.8 for Twilight Princess.

But to let you know, most reviews have been averaging round 9.5 for SS. This particular one is out of place.

But just remember - lol gaming journalism

etecoon

Smash Hero
to be fair, TP got a ton of 9-10 scores and retrospectively 8.8 was much more objective than most of those

Part of the appeal of The Legend of Zelda and other adventure games lies in seeing the grotesque enemy designs. By presenting the same foe more than once, predictability sets in and the shock factor is diminished.
this guy is just trolling though

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I do think that some of the reviews have been overly generous (like IGN's perfect score), but the Gamespot review literally says the opposite of every other review I've read.

etecoon

Smash Hero
this should be boring but it's 2am and I'm not playing any games atm, internet dramarama is a great time killer

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'm gonna read this Gamespot review right now. Or is it a video review? Guess I'll find out to see what it's all about.

At the same time though, I myself am a harsh reviewer...and while I would not give Zelda a 7.5, I could easily see myself giving a game like...TP an 8.5 or 8 on a crummy day.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Good luck reading it.

From what I understand, it's riddled with contradictions. Some of which can be found in the same paragraphs.

I too don't care. But I am on the internet. Kind of hard to ignore. Just shows me how credible these people are. :awesome:

etecoon

Smash Hero
I'd give TP an 8 and I don't consider myself an exceptionally harsh reviewer, maybe just my scale but for me 9+ scores are for amazing games, not pretty good games

I wish I had started replaying one of the games a few days ago, I could replay LTTP at least but I wouldn't finish any of the others before sunday anyway

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I wouldn't even say I review games. I play them.

If I like them, I recommend them. If I don't, I warn the people considering buying them.

All there is to it.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well I do see the validity to some of his complaints. Some that have been mentioned in other reviews. I also see a contradiction here and there. Overall though, it seems like the guy is just tired of the same old same old. I wonder how reviews other games that stick to the same formula? Wonder what he would give games like Uncharted 3, AC: Revelations or even MW3.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
That is why I am under the impression, or just belief, that reviewers are paid to give their scores. How do I explain this one? Nintendo didn't give them ****, or the competition gave them a sum for lowering the score.

I never paid reviewers much mind, but when a bro got fired over that Kayne and Lynch ordeal, I just completely ignore them and discount any possibility of legitimacy they may have.

besides. Opinions.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
The guy who got fired over Kane and Lynch...didn't he in general post low score reviews...but the reviews in general were well...not professional so to speak?

This review did come out pretty late, so conspiracy theorists can now say he didn't get paid by Nintendo. That's why he had to wait so long to release the review.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
The guy who got fired spoke out after he got fired. Admitted that GS was being paid off to provide a high score so as to help boost sales (cause, unfortunately, folks determine their purchase based of a single review - very powerful tool) but instead he gave it something like a 6.

And the rest you can figure out.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Random funny bit pertaining to Zelda obviously getting kidnapped.

Zelda's dad, to Link: "Where's my daughter?" (After Zelda was last seen riding off into the horizon with Link)
Link: [makes hand gestures signifying what happened.]
Zelda's dad: "Oh, a big black tornado swept her away, you say? Oh ok, then. We'll find her."

Best dad ever.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
his address and phone number have already been leaked apparently

I've done a lot of trolling in my time but even I'm amazed at the venom that comes from the internet sometimes
lolwut

Eh, I don't generally rely on reviews to decide whether or not I will enjoy the game. I am a diehard LoZ fan and I'm sure others that have a liking towards LoZ surely don't rely on ratings either when a HOME CONSOLE Zelda title comes out. Actually, that's my attitude towards games in general. I don't look up ratings at all :p

theeboredone

Smash Legend
There are a lot of things I wish I could get the inside scoop on. Whether or not gaming journalists get bribed in any sort of way would be one of them.

D

Deleted member

So...the limited edition just comes with a golden wiimote, but both editions get the anniversary CD?

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
My friend SWIM torrented this game.

SWIM says this game is fun so far. He's playing with his wife, like he did for WW and TP. He said the controls are pretty tight, in particular the swordplay. He says the art style totally works, and he's really happy with the game so far.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
LT, it's definitely an 8 in my opinion. Borderline 9. But I guess you should take mine with a grain of salt since I've only logged about 4 hours.

etecoon

Smash Hero
he was making a sarcastic remark about how ridiculous all the score nonsense is

4 days :(

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Haha, saw that last night during the **** storm that GS caused.

Damn funny.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
To personally rate a product by a numerical basis I find is cocky.
Cocky, sure...but it still gives a feel for the paying customer whether or not if they should invest their money. Of course, it's important to READ the reviews, but I do have an appreciation for sites like Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic to make it easier for me to check out what everyone thinks.

Maybe I'm strange, but usually my opinions do tend to fall in line with movies at least. I pretty much called the "scores" of the last two movies I see before they came out.

Games, my scores are generally much lower z.z..

And I love Mega64. I hope they do another "Game Awards" video at the end of the year.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Speaking about reviews, I feel that there is an important aspect missing from them....how they compare to their predecessors. Like an "expectation" category; I'm not quite sure the best way to describe what I'm feeling. Galaxy is the perfect example. The scores were 10's and they said that they dethroned the 64 Mario games, but to me they didn't do it any justice. 64 was all about a sandbox figure it out experience and being able to do things out of order, Galaxy was not like this is anyway. I felt like Galaxy was a 3D version of a 2d mario game where the flagpole was replaced by a Star. No puzzle solving, no exploring.

And now with Zelda, the talk is that Zelda is going away from its roots. Its going away from being the ultimate sandbox game, its going away from exploring the world due to its new overworld travel design. People are saying that its turning into the Mario formula. I think these are important factors in judging a game, how well does keep things fresh without straying too far from the core traits that defined the game in the first place.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
This Zelda game has been more compared to the Metroid series than Mario. You have your hub, and you revisit areas repeatedly based on changes that occur. But yeah, I see your point.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I never really got into the Metroid games so I guess I'll really find out what that means in 4 days. That sounds similar to banjo kazooie (more like tooie) a little lol

theeboredone

Smash Legend
The only Metroid I played was Other M. Mainly because I'm just not a big fan of the series. So I can sort of see what they are talking about, but at the same time I am not totally familiar with it.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
The only Metroid I played was Other M. Mainly because I'm just not a big fan of the series. So I can sort of see what they are talking about, but at the same time I am not totally familiar with it.
Eh, Other M was the least Metroid of the entire Metroid series. Metroid's more about adventuring alone in an incredibly expansive land. Not very many characters, very little plot.

That said, I don't think a Zelda game could ever come close to being similar to a Metroid game.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
For instance, say you're going through a dungeon and you find some blocked off room then later on you get the item you need to get past it, so you go back to that dungeon and go through the blocked path.

I'm not saying this is what SS is doing for sure because I don't know, but that's what I assumed, and that's pretty much what the devs said in Iwata Asks

Top Bottom