• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - NO SPOILERS, USE THE SPOILER THREAD PLEASE

etecoon

Smash Hero
other m was a major major departure from what comprises a standard metroid game and was received pretty badly especially by long time metroid fans, if that's the only exposure you've had to the series I'd highly recommend checking out super metroid or metroid prime, SM should probably be cheap on VC I'd imagine

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
That said, I don't think a Zelda game could ever come close to being similar to a Metroid game.
That's interesting that you said that because I was just thinking about developing an indie game in the zelda universe modeled after the metroidvania style. 2d explorer, probably very similar to metroid fusion and castlevania DoS.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
other m was a major major departure from what comprises a standard metroid game and was received pretty badly especially by long time metroid fans, if that's the only exposure you've had to the series I'd highly recommend checking out super metroid or metroid prime, SM should probably be cheap on VC I'd imagine
Eh, I'll pass. Once tried playing a few of the SNES Metroids a long time ago and just couldn't get into it. I barely finished Other M. Only thing that kept me going was emo Samus and the token black guy.

So here's a question sort of relating to Zelda. As far as Other M goes...the average score on Metacritic is 79. Higher? Lower? Or just right?

Spire

III
BRoomer
That's interesting that you said that because I was just thinking about developing an indie game in the zelda universe modeled after the metroidvania style. 2d explorer, probably very similar to metroid fusion and castlevania DoS.
Like holy **** Dastrn, I worked on a project just like that once. It is totally dead, but um... Let's talk?

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Received a text message and a voicemail from Gamestop telling me that the SS special bundle is at the store now, so I can grab it tomorrow at midnight. I would suspect other GS outlets are holding midnight releases too.

But the special bundle is 75 dollars, 70 since I pre-ordered, and I only have 80 or so atm, so tax might go over my limit....guess I'm trading some games in to lower the price. Ah well, I don't play Sonic Colors DS or Super Mario Bros. Wii that much anymore anyway.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I forgot what store it was, but on Black Friday, they will be selling the LE Zelda SS Bundles for 60 dollars. I wanna say Walmart.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
The other alternative is Gamestop though.

Gotta decide which one's the lesser of two evils at that point.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Gamestop is not even offering any legitimate BF deals. It's gonna suck cause people are still gonna go, and those uninformed parents are gonna buy 60 dollar games, thinking they got the steal of a lifetime.

Edit: For any of those who watch the TV show "Psych", Wednesday's episode showed a flashback of when the main char was a kid. He comes home and says he's planning to play "Legend of Zelda."

Convenient that line shows up the weekend before its release lol. I love that show.

LLDL

Smash Hero
This game is the truth. I'm addicted so far. I'd say it's surpassed twilight princess by far and I've only just beaten
the forest temple. Yoo, tell me why Lord Ghirahim is so hard and he da first boss lmao. I eventually learned to just wait and angle my slashes so that he can't counter, but how was I supposed to know that LOL. Just slashin at him for mad long.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I cannot say that I am not jealous.

I want this game like no body's business.

I gotta spam play FF12 so I can finish it before it releases Sunday.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I do most of my shopping at Wal-Mart lol.

apathy is a very strong force
ditto

being ghetto is a strong force

and gamestop is evil too and opens 3 hours later than wal mart here, and wal mart won't gut the game, let it's employees take it home and play it, put it back in the box, and then sell it to me as "new"

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
It should be available at midnight tonight at any 24 hour Wal-Marts.

I have the bundle shipping from Best Buy, but that won't be here until Monday and I have jury duty on Monday...so I might just buy a second copy tonight to get my fix in.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I was just looking up the codes that the hackers have made so far for SS, do you guys still think that playing SS with codes is completely in bad taste? For these two codes, I don't think so

force required to swing sword modifier [wiiztec]

no weapon usage instructions [wiiztec]

They also have two other codes I might be interested in but I will hold off until I play the game. One adjusts the walking speed and one regens stamina faster.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I'd be interested in that "Force required to swing sword modifier" code. Know where I could find it?

I hear that you can still just flick, but I want to actually swing my sword yo.

But then again, I can do that normally anyway. It's more of a laziness prevention code.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Here is the codes page. There is a GCT export button at the top that will create the file for you. All you have to do is delete the codes you don't want.

I will probably make the sword more sensitive if I find it not very responsive. It might also make the sensitivity of swinging on ropes more which would be awesome.

http://geckocodes.org/?c=SOUE01
theeboredone said:
-Prepares for mass Zelda orgasms in less than 12 hours-
Lucky. My GS won't have a midnight release :(

kupo15

Smash Hero
I won't be sure until I get the game as it depends on the code. It could be a global code or it could be a code only targeted at the sword. Both are possible. Though judging on the appearance of the code (1 line) makes me believe that that its only for the sword

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I haven't even played the game yet, and I got my Zelda fill for the day all due to the reorchestrated Zelda Medley from the bonus CD.

Edit: THE ENDING PORTION OF THE TWILIGHT PRINCESS CREDITS THEME IS USED IN THE END OF THE TWILIGHT PRINCESS MEDLEY IN THE BONUS CD. I AM IN TEARS. <33333333333333333333333333

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
I got it at the midnight release.

The introduction is the best out of ANY Zelda ever.

I ACTUALLY WANT TO SAVE HER!!!!!!!!

etecoon

Smash Hero
first impressions so far

all of my glowing praise for the art style being perfect for the series was UNDERSTATED, IT IS PERFECT. not only does it look gorgeous but it really does somehow combine elements of so many of the games, as all over the place as zelda's art has been this takes a lot of my favorite things from previous games, whether coming from WW, TP, MM, or any of the 2D games, it's equally familiar and new at the same time. I would rebuy any/all of the 3D zelda games if they were remade with SS' art style

you got a blue rupee! like TP, you continue getting these messages every time you turn off the console, dammit nintendo...

not liking how menu navigation is also driven by the WM+ instead of the censor bar, it's making me turn the remote at way too steep angles to look at things

I like how you can now move in first person mode

I picked up a cat and the game immediately prompted me with the controls for throwing it, aonuma you sick *******...

edit: that's censored? wtf smashboards

not impressed with the sword combat so far, it's hardly 1:1 and it's rigid, no reason you couldn't do similar with a cstick.

kupo15

Smash Hero
first impressions so far

not impressed with the sword combat so far, it's hardly 1:1 and it's rigid, no reason you couldn't do similar with a cstick.
Same here. Also the sword wipes are only limited to the 8 cardinal directions...just like I said it would be weeks ago. I am definitely going to be using that code to make the sword more sensitive.

My impressions so far.
Booted game up, looked at the screen for 3 secs.....6 HEARTS?? Wtf.
Stamina....even for pushing blocks? Uhg, probably going to have to use a code for that too. I guess I'll stick with the faster regen time instead of the unlimited in case puzzles are based around the stamina time in the future.

etecoon

Smash Hero
eh, it works, it's just not ideal and being billed as "1:1" was blatantly false advertising. the WM+ might be capable of it, but the sword doesn't control that way

sword combat isn't that bad at least, loftwing controls on the other hand...

have to say I'm loving the narrative so far

theeboredone

Smash Legend
It's true 1:1 outside the sword combat, but yeah...I was hoping I would be able to swing in any degree angle I wanted. I guess they prevented that so people wouldn't spam attacks.

etecoon

Smash Hero
the fortune teller in this game is extremely disturbing

and this stands out in a series featuring characters like tingle and the guys at the lake hylia cucco thing...

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Just played 2 hours and i had to stop cause it was seriously putting me to sleep. This isnt a bad game(i hope) but the beginning is very slow/boring tbh.

The concept(skyloft/surface of earth) is cool
The music is good
The controls are good
I hate the cel shade graphics

Lets hope it gets better.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Make sure you have fully charged batteries, that actually helps a ton. Sword combat is really smooth imo dunno maybe you need to learn not to spaz so much with your hands and wrists. Every minor motion is picked up so just be careful.

Aaaaand I think everyone in this thread has only just started so there's no use in me asking how to get Monster Horns.

I only need one more for a shield upgrade but for the life of me I can't seem to figure it out. The fortune teller and the game imply something that doesn't seem to work. Suppose I'll keep having to kill that one little douche then. :/

Edit: I'm like 20 hours in I've done 3 temples and just grinding to get a maxed out shield before I go onto dungeon 4.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I don't think it's that sensitive, I tried using more subtle flicks of the wrist at first but it's failed to execute swings a few times, and to get your bird to ascend you have to go jimmy fallon on it

it starts a liiittle slow I guess but it's mostly just too heavy on cut scenes and a lot of the dialogue is too slow, I'm still really digging it so far though, few minor complaints with the controls aside this is probably going to give MM a good run for it's money as my favorite zelda

this is first run though, new game+ better let me skip some of this or speed up the text or replaying will be difficult...

Top Bottom