• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - NO SPOILERS, USE THE SPOILER THREAD PLEASE

kupo15

Smash Hero
All you have to do is wag the wiimote up and down rhythmically . You don't have to move it horizontally, you don't have to flap like a bird (seriously, wtf?). you can make very small motions and it reads easily without much force required.

And you people complain about handholding lol XD
There is a difference between hand holding and simply not explaining controls that can be ambiguous especially (and specifically) in this motion control world because...(below)
I moved it up and down, nothing happened. That was the first thing I tried and my bird was stuck nosediving into the clouds.

I didn't gain height until I did it horizontally.
yes, I encountered this very same problem. I couldn't figure out how to fly or what to do for about a minute because nothing I was doing did anything onscreen and there was no instructions on how to fly. I was expecting a tutorial once I got on the bird.

I had a similar problem with rolling in DKCR. I tried everything I could think of to roll but nothing happened but once I started using the CC support hack, I figured it out in no time.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Haha swimming. When I first learned it, the first pool has an amber relic there at the bottom and no lie it took like 2 mins to get it. Have fun with that lol.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Yeah, the swimming was the worst part of the motion controls. I enjoy them through most of the game but sheesh, swimming was awful.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I'm watching my son play, and I didn't realize how much easier this game becomes if you use the shield.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I think I'm the only one that finds swimming incredibly easy and intuitive lol. I hear so many people complain about it. It's just weird at time thinking that you have to use the remote as if it were Link, so if he's facing the screen the turns are reversed basically.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
this is untrue, the sensor bar is used for calibration. and for some aiming/cursor calibration as well
I was only referring to gameplay aspects, and I was focusing on flying as the example as that was where he was having the problem.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Only thing I hate about swimming is when you want to talk to an NPC...you have to position yourself within a certain range to engage in conversation.

Though I do think swimming would be better off with analog.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
That's what I thought, until I watched my son destroy everything in the game with a shield parry.

etecoon

Smash Hero
shield parrying is useful, but it's different from previous zelda games in that just staying behind your shield constantly isn't always a good move, especially before you get the better shields that can withstand more hits or regen

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I only used my shield when required to. I used it against the Pirate Captain and the deku scrub things.

Vionce

Smash Journeyman
I only found the shield useful against Demise. For the rest of the game i use the cursed medal. I think anything ur shield can do, u can do the same with a well timed sword strike.

I still would have preferred the shield-bash to be powered by a button rather than a motion. With buttons when trying to time attacks, you could wait until the last minute to quickly press a button and have the action come out fairly instantaneously. Instead you have to factor in the time it takes to swing the nun-chuck.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Not enough buttons on Wiimote + nunchuck lol. I mean, I liked changing items on the fly, but I still would have preferred "hot keys' to two or three items like in previous games.

Wii U Zelda...your tablet is your shield lulz.

There were two unused buttons on the wiimote. The left and right directions on the control pad were not used at all. Up was for your harp, and the lower one was for calling Fi. I suppose there might have been an issue with pressing the wrong button in that case... Fi popping out in the middle of a battle for no reason would be quite irksome.

Her personality reminds me of Mr.Spock.

etecoon

Smash Hero
yeah just bad design there, there's no excuse for fi being mapped to the same button as recalibrate, diving etc, the other direction buttons could have been used

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
The button issue only really bothered me because it meant that there was no way to control the camera.

Did you really need to adjust the camera all that much?

Using any of the weapons or C to look around in combination with the Z to center behind you seemed good enough for most things. Only a few times was I upset with how the camera ended up being angled.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I never missed the camera, but that was a WW and TP thing and I have much more play time on OoT and MM, so I'm not used to using it a lot anyway

Every system has its setbacks. I liked how you could zoom in with a weapon for a change. But not too much it was distracting.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
I rarely use my shield 'cause I never get hit.

Shield parry is vastly overpowered in my opinion seeing as how you can parry pretty much every attack and not get hurt. I mean your shield doesn't even get damaged
(except the Hylian Shield which can't get damaged lol).

This game was fairly easy. The puzzles were pretty linear, Fi pretty much wiped your *** the entire game, bosses were way too easy, etc. Still a VERY fun game. One of the best in the series.

I hated fighting Tentalus though just because charging a Skyward Strike is hard for me 'cause of how I'm sitting and the placement of my motion bar lol.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I actually REALLY missed the movable camera a la Wind Waker. It feels pretty archaic when I'm fiddling around with Link's position and the Z targeting to line up my jumping when ten years ago I had complete smooth control of the camera.

I'm not exactly sure the best way they would employ the controllable camera with the Wiimote setup...

One thing I think would have been cool would be to have the moveable gyroscope camera when you Z-target like in OoT3D. When I first started playing SS, I always instinctively moved the wiimote around a bit when I Z-targeted, and was surprised to see the camera not move with my movements. It might not transfer as well from the 3DS gyro but who knows I think it'd be neat

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Man, I failed so hard sometimes angling myself on jump. Trying to align straight with the Z-camera, but not getting it right, running "straight" and falling off lulz.

I feel like I'm really the only one who never noticed the issue with the camera. I first realized that there were "camera issues" after I had already beat the game, and that was because I read about it. x__x

Life

Smash Hero
re: the bird flapping thing

I beat the entire game without knowing you could do this, then when I started a second playthrough it was in the tutorial that I could have sworn wasn't there before...

Wait... How did you get anywhere without flapping those wings? I pretty much sunk to the bottom of the cloud layer the first time I tried playing and couldn't get out until I finally figured out I had to do large, large flapping motions.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Man, I failed so hard sometimes angling myself on jump. Trying to align straight with the Z-camera, but not getting it right, running "straight" and falling off lulz.
Actually, this is mostly the fault of the physics engine and not the camera. In OOT and MM, you had air control for jumps which allowed for some flexibility with lining up your jumps. Starting with WW, the physics have gone to **** actually.

Top Bottom