• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (USE SPOILER TAGS)

pokemonmaster01

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ever notice how almost all zelda games since lttp have followed a theme of contrasting elements. Many times it involves Link becoming something other than his familiar Hylian self. Let's take a look, shall we?

A Link to the Past:
Link travels between the dark world and light world. For a short time he takes the form of a bunny rabbit.

Ocarina of Time:
Link travels between the world of the present and the world of seven years in the future. He takes the form of both a teenager and a young boy.

Majora's Mask:
Link uses various masks and takes on the forms of a deku scrub, a goron, and a zora, as well as his original self.

Wind Waker:
Link battles his way across a flooded Hyrule over both land and sea. It also features two co-op dungeons with CPU characters, in which you can temporarily play them.

Minish Cap:
Link uses the minish cap to shrink down to the size of a mouse and explore the world from another viewpoint. He can also return to normal size.

Twilight Princess:
Link travels into Hyrule and takes the form of a wolf for some reason.

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
buuh, buuh buuh...

I've been watching some of the new footage of gameplay from the Nintendo booth and Gamespot's impressions...and I must say it's looking very good...it was starting to look at lot less like a zelda game after watching the new trailer, but this new stuff is just like the good ol' days...

As well as having a playable demo of the villiage where the game starts and the mini-boss and first level that follows, Nintendo has also said that one of the main themes in the game will be communicating with animals, as transforming into a wolf seems to enable link to do this...

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Of course. As anyone should know, all animals can talk with other animals.

Jamo

Smash Journeyman
I have to admit I was a lot more excited about this game before I saw this trailer, mainly because the whole wolf thing. I hope it won't be the top feature in the game, and kept strictly to something like flying seagulls in WW, but it seems like it will be more than that. Oh well, watching the gameplay really gives me a adrenalin booster. This game will still be an awesome experience. Just go back and look at the first 2 trailers and add the power to turn into a wolf.

AHHHH!!! Check out all the new gameplay footage! Ok, this is Zelda. YES!!! Fighting with a sword on a horse is definatly one of the best things they have done in this game. Ooo, looks like you can be knocked off your horse as well.

Boomerang. :D
Magic with Boomerang?
Forest Temple. :)
Victory pose after killing boss.
Monkey butt slap.

Wooooot.

Dear Nintendo,
I love you.
Sincerely,
Jamo

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
Aye, the boomerang (or gale boomerang) seems like it will be as cool as it was in WW...except when you throw it there is a mini tornado thing underneath the boomerang that can rip up tiles and stuff and will apparently play a big part in some dungeons...

and yes mic, it is common knowledge that all animals can talk to all other animals...us humans were the only ones left out of the loop ;)

Aurora Grid

Smash Lord
Hopefully I'm not too late on posting this info.

-The title of the game comes from the "Twilight" which is apparently a dark and evil force spreading throughout the world. Seems like there's some sort of a Dark/Light world thing going on.

-Link in this game is a completely new incarnation of the Hero, and not the same Hero as the one in for instance Ocarina of Time or The Wind Waker

-Link Transforms into a wolf whenever he enters the "Twilight" Hyrule. He is NOT a Werewolf

-The Female creature shown in the trailer riding link is an enemy of some sort, but you have to team up to fight an even greater evil.

-Link can talk to animals, and they teach you abilities throughout the game.

-Certain puzzles in dungeons require you going back and forth between the Light and Twilight worlds. (Similar to Link to the past and Metroid Prime 2)

-The "new" Boomerang, as seen in the trailer, is called "Gale Boomerang". It represents one of the many traditional Zelda items which will return with a new twist. There will also be completely new items.

-The inventory screen has been modified from the traditional setup, so that it won't reveal exactly how many items you have left to collect. This is because this was a semi-spoiler of how much you had left of the quest.

-The entire soundtrack for the game is NOT fully orchestraed like previously believed, but the "especially dramatic scenes" will be. Aonuma added with a touch of humor that " this will only occur when it's "fiscally responsible" to do so ".

-The game is going to feature more Dungeons than OOT and the overall scale of the game is much much larger.

-The hawk is not Zelda.

-There's a character called Fado in the game.

-Midna, the creature you see riding on Link's back, is apparantly an evil creature, but helps Link still. (evil vs. evil ? interesting).

-The cloaked character is the "Twilight Princess", Zelda. She uses her cloak to protect herself from the effects of "Twilight Hyrule". She is also held prisoner.

-The game is set in between Ocarina of Time and The Wind Waker. What could this mean in terms of the storyline of the game? In order to not break with the consistency of the storyline so far, it has to end with the King praying to the Gods to save Hyrule, and the land being flooded. Time will tell...

Most of the info was from here: http://cube.ign.com/articles/616/616559p1.html

RichBrown

Smash Master
holy crap, there have been a lot of e3 streams posted today. jado posted the link to all of them, but here they all are so you dont have to do so much **** clicking (windows media only):

HORSEE!!!

pirahna plant looking things....

pirahna things continued...

this has gotta be fado.... boomerang action!!!

keeps fighting that thing...

LINK IS HACKING AND SLASHING!!!

link uses his boomerang... cool tornado action going on link acquires the boomerang

monkey w/ a dark boomerang, and another monkey...

more horseback riding

theres something in this video, didnt feel like watching it...

[URL=http://streamingmovies.ign.com/cube/article/616/616921/zeldatwilightdirect_051805_8_wmvlow.wmv?wu=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.cube.ign.com%2Fmedia%2F572%2F572738%2Fvid_1130935.html%3Fmu%3D%3CURL%2F%3E]1st person horseback riding!

*orgasm

guys talkin about zelda (w/ gameplay)

guys talkin bout zelda, pt 2

pt. 3

pt 4

pt. 5

pt. 6

pt. 7

pt. 8

pt. 9

pt. 10

pt. 11

pt. 12

pt. 13

pt 14

pt 15

pt. 16

geez i freaking hate that stupid jeep advertisement at the beginning of all those...

well, this certainly reveals almost everything we need to know.

yeah, i dont like how the game pauses when you hit an enemy w/ the sword. hope that gets fixed....

the sword fighting technique looks interesting. apparently you now have to nail ur enemy w/ a finishing move... that better not be a problem when fighting masses.

loving the boomerang! no doubt it will come into play, seeing as that other monkey had that dark one.

MONKEYS I LOVE MONKEYS LIKE A DRAMATIC BAGEL COVERED IN SAWDUST HANGING FROM A DOLPHINS ELBOW!!!

ill let the rest of you do the speculating...

mic 128: kudos to you my friend for also finding some great zelda info, youve been on top of it, i salute you.

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
The pause before Link hits an enemy is on purpose. It was there in WW. They use it to make it seem like Link is really hitting the enemy hard... or something. I honestly don't care if it's there or not though.

Lightsaberboy

Smash Champion
****. a three hour wait right when the showroom open, but it was all worth it just to play zelda! the controls are basically the same as in master quest and WW, so you should have no problem getting the controls down for TP. There were 2 playable levels at E3, one horsebackriding part and a dungeon part. The horseback riding part was pretty cool. you basically control the horse the same way you would to move around, and you can press A to do these small dashes to go faster. the bottom of the screen shows how many dashes you can do, but they recharge over time. i spent like 5 min going around and knocking enemies off the horses. I especially enjoyed going in a whole crowd of them, then doing the spin attack so they all fall off. that was great. :D

The dungeon part was pretty cool too. We got a chance to use the new Gale boomerang. basically it's like a regular boomerang, but when you throw it it makes a huge tornado. This is useful in the boss area, where you had to throw it at a bomb so it would carry over into the boss's mouth to damage it.

wheee!!!

here are pics of the zelda area at E3:

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Whoah...

I've ignored this game for a while, and now that I've seen those shots and info...

Link turning into a wolf? PWNAGE!!!

Some weird Sneasel-look alike with a strange hat riding you in the dark? (eww...) I love the character design and the idea of the super-cool looking twilight side of Hyrule.

And it kind of looks to me like this Zelda game is going to actually have some genuinely freaky/scary/unnerving bits in it that may bump the classification up a notch...

Zelda goes gothic.

DukieMan1223

Smash Lord
Also you can notice many similarities between the skull kid and the flea men. Of course their goofy smiles, but also look at their leaf capes and necklace things. Great to see a classic character updated, I hope to see many more.

hero_oftime333

Smash Cadet
I would rather fight as normal link in the twilight area though. Having that monkey thing on me makes me seem more like a steed.

The Windwaker

Smash Journeyman
Originally posted by hero_oftime333
I would rather fight as normal link in the twilight area though. Having that monkey thing on me makes me seem more like a steed.
I find this post hilarious because this member is talking as if he IS Link.

Hopefully this game will end with Ganondorf breaking the seal, killing everyone, and sinking hyrule thus leading into the Windwaker.

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
For some reason I just can't imagine that Nintendo would let the game end with Evil winning.

I don't think we should consider that everything has to be connected to the other Zelda games, I mean, this is Zelda there are more plotholes in the series than anything else.

But on the other hand why would they then say that it takes place between OoT and WW???

I'm confused, but I believe there will be a surprsing twist towards the end of the game.

That extended trailer was awesome! I really like how Link moves/is animated when he fights with his sword, it looks very realistic.

GanNingoftheBell

Smash Apprentice
well for it to fit in

Ganondorf must escape in some form

he kills the Wind and Earth sage

Link is unable to destroy him

Hyrule floods

Link and Zelda manage to save the population somehow by getting them to higher ground

Gerudo Knight

Blademaster
BRoomer
I don't think there's any real harm in posting this, so here goes.

A summary of what we know about Twilight Princess so far:

According to Eiji Aonuma, Twilight Princess is set after Ocarina of Time and before Wind Waker. This has of course created a bit of controversy, as the storylines from Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker do not seamlessly connect, as purists have pointed out. Still, Nintendo has never gone out of its way to chronologically align the series, and has instead preferred simply to say that with every game there is a new Link and a new Zelda.
In Twilight Princess, Link is about 16 or 17-years-old, according to Eiji Aonuma.
The video of course confirms that Link can change into a wolf. However, it does not appear that gamers will be able to trigger the change whenever they desire. Rather, the transformation occurs depending upon where Link goes.
In Twilight Princess, Hyrule is under attack by a mysterious force known as the Twilight Realm. The shadowy alternate dimension is spreading throughout the land, sucking anyone or anything in its path through.
When Link enters the Twilight Realm, he automatically changes into a wolf. According to Eiji Aonuma, humans cannot exist in their current form in the Twilight Realm. When they cross over, they change into animals, which can exist in the alternate dimension.
When Link enters the Twilight and changes into a wolf, he encounters a mysterious new female character named Midna. She dons a magical mask that covers one eye and rides on top of wolf Link. The two are inseparable in the Twilight Realm.
When Link clears an area in the Twilight Realm, it changes back to normal Hyrule and he returns to human form.
Midna also undergoes a change when she exits the Twilight Realm. "If you go with the strictest definition of exist then yes, she can exist in normal Hyrule," explains Eiji Aonuma. "But there is a certain kind of subtlety to that which I can't reveal at this point in time." Some gamers have speculated that Midna is in fact Link's shadow, which comes to life in Twilight.
Ganon is in the game and very likely the main antagonist.
The creatures and look of the Twilight Realm will have sci-fi elements to them, according to Eiji Aonuma. However, he says, the title will still be fantasy based.
Link will be able to combine items in the game. He combines bombs and arrows to create bomb arrows in an older trailer. In the latest footage, he carries a lantern and oil, presumably to refill the light-giving device when it runs out.
The game is much bigger in scope than Ocarina of Time, which it strives to better in every way. Because of this, Link will actually need to use Epona to cross very long distances as it would simply take way too long to travel on foot.
Eiji Aonuma says that with Twilight Princess, locations -- presumably structures and temples -- will be enormous, truly dwarfing Link in scale.
Link can use a canoe to traverse waterways.
The hero can dive and swim underwater, which suggests there will be a Water Temple.
According to Eiji Aonuma, Link might be able to fly across great distances, presumably on the back of a still-unrevealed winged beast. We're hoping for a dragon.
The character will gain more weapons and items than ever before. Some will be returning weapons and items while others will be brand new to the series.
Link will be able to fish again and also use chickens to float.
There will be more dungeons and boss battles in the game than in any other Zelda.
Zelda is in the game. She is the cloaked figure seen in videos. She wears this mourner's robe to mourn what she sees as the death of Hyrule at the hands of the Twilight Realm.
Zelda may be able to transform into an animal, according to Eiji Aonuma.
There will not be any significant time travel in the game, as there was in Ocarina of Time. That seems to indicate that Link will probably stay the same age and not grow older.
The game will run in progressive scan and Dolby Pro Logic II, but not 16x9 widescreen mode.
The title will feature orchestrated music as well as MIDI songs.

Dark Lord Uraj

Smash Cadet
One of the things I find interesting is how Twilight Princess is merging the more realistic look of the Ocarina of Time with the more fantastic effects possible through cel shading.

What am I talking about? Well, for those who haven't read this month's issue of Nintendo Power, it has been revealed that several different elements in Twilight Princess (most, if not all of it, in the Twilight Realm) will use cel shading, ala Wind Waker. For example, the large feather-like adornment atop Midna's head is cel shaded, and has been speculated to point towards objectives or enemies.

What's more, when enemies drop into the Twilight Realm they do so through a cel shaded portal (look at the video closely and it's easy to tell). Finally, all enemies in the TR have markings on their body rendered in cel shading.

I find this new aspect strange but intriguing. Hopefully it won't be overdone, but I would like to see what other ways they can use this merging of different graphics styles.

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
Straight up, this game is looking, to quote Conker's Bad Fur Day, Fan-f5cking-tastic.

I'm not worried about the graphics at this point. I mean, Nintendo's already shown us the style, and I'm pleased.

I'm concerned with everything ELSE. The sound I wonder about...Is it going to be of the same quality in the trailers, or more MIDI-esque? Also, why is there no voice acting? That's all this series needs to push it into the last step of atmosphere. I've heard that they're still tinkering with ideas in that field, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for now.

The gameplay, of course, better be top-notch, but Nintendo has yet to screw that up in a TRUE Legend of Zelda title.

I guess the one thing I'm most worried about is the story--the writing. It looks promising, but so did a lot of other games, like Starfox: Adventures.

The story needs to break some traditions, especially since Nintendo has said that they are pushing to make this title the one that people will think of when they hear 'Zelda' (essentially, the level of recognition that OoT has today).

Originality, realistic dialogue, and character development, p33ps. Ocarina of Time's major flaw was that Link wasn't REALLY a character. I'm sorry, but I'm fed up with the days of the main character being an emotionless droid. In Mario RPG, it was FUNNY, but in Ocarina of Time, it was kind of annoying.

At least in Wind Waker (an amazing game, as well, as not as respected as it should be), you could FEEL what Link felt. The whole point of the story was that he was a little, wimpy twerp that wanted to save his sister and was willing to go through all that crap to do it. If that doesn't show the Courage Link is known for, I don't know what does.

This one is obviously focusing on a more adult Link, and, from what I've seen, he's already showing emotion like the previous Link. The Zelda Manga of OoT was awesome because Link was a CHARACTER--he had feelings, he changed over time, and you could relate with him.

I'm not sure how they're going to do that with this Link, but if they do a jo as good as WW, I guess I'll be satisfied.

This game has some f5ckin' huge expectations to live up to, and if it does, Nintendo will be happy.

If it doesn't, then...the series could be in for some trouble.

T-minus 6 months and counting...

^^^Noting a previous post...

You said that humans (close enough, though, last time I checked, humans don't have pointy ears :p) get turned into animals in the Twilight Realm...

I'm sure someone has already suggested this, but...

The trailer from E3 showed a 'mysterious' figure in a hood with the Sheikah symbol on it...And, ya know, golly-gee, what we saw of her face look SUSPICIOUSLY like a certain Princess...

Also, the setting was dark, dreary, and had those little black ash-thingies floating around outside...

When Link turned into a wolf, there were black, ash-thingies floating around...

Maybe, and, of course, this is only speculation, ZELDA is the 'Twilight Princess,' she's a 'human' in the Twlight Realm and when she goes into Link's realm, she becomes an animal...I'd be hopin' for a hawk.

I'm hopin' that someone already hypothesized that. It only makes sense to me from what I've seen...

I have a good chunk of evidence to back that theory up. Again, all speculation. Sorry if I somehow 'spoiled' something, but...Well, it'll probably turn out to be wrong. That happened the last time I speculated... :laugh:

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Destiny Smasher said:
I'm hopin' that someone already hypothesized that. It only makes sense to me from what I've seen...
It has, but you just put it real purty like. ;)

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
Old/10, eh?

That must be some new, hip phrase, or somethin'...

Tell me where this was confirmed, as I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere. Of course, I only really go to IGN and Gamespot...And they have all the news I need. Maybe I missed some random tidbit, despite all of my scrounging around.

Besides, I didn't say it was NEW, I said that I hoped it WASN'T new.

GanNingoftheBell

Smash Apprentice
Destiny Smasher said:
Also, why is there no voice acting? That's all this series needs to push it into the last step of atmosphere. I've heard that they're still tinkering with ideas in that field, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for now.

I'm sure someone has already suggested this, but...

The trailer from E3 showed a 'mysterious' figure in a hood with the Sheikah symbol on it...And, ya know, golly-gee, what we saw of her face look SUSPICIOUSLY like a certain Princess...

Maybe, and, of course, this is only speculation, ZELDA is the 'Twilight Princess,' she's a 'human' in the Twlight Realm and when she goes into Link's realm, she becomes an animal...I'd be hopin' for a hawk.

its been said that that cloak of zelda' protects her fromthe effects of the Twighlight

and, the reason there will never be any real voice acting in zelda unless Nintendo is 300% positive that the fans will love it is cause of this:

"Hey, Excuuuuuse me princess!"

and

"Im so hungry I could eat an octorok"

wouldnt you rather have a game where link's Dialogue is suggested then them give him a crappy voice.

Some people out their are real arses cant appreciate a character of game if it has bad voice acting

HeroOfTime

BRoomer
BRoomer
GanNingoftheBell said:
its been said that that cloak of zelda' protects her fromthe effects of the Twighlight
That hasn't been said. The cloak is nothing more than a mourner's robe. Zelda is wearing it because she is mourning what has become of her kingdom.

Cyrahk

Smash Journeyman
I'll say what I said on RvB.

This is supposed to be the darkest Zelda game yet.

So here's an idea. How 'bout Link kicking the bucket.

Here me out, don't scream at me yet.

If this manages to provide the link (no pun intended) between OoT, and WW, it isn't going to matter that much.

And especially if he sacrifices himself to at least provide some temporary peace.

Creature_85

Smash Lord
I'm surprised I haven't posted in here yet.

I was talking with a few friends, and we theorized a few things about the game. First off, it does not have to end with any relating to WW, because an exact number of years between Oot and WW was never confirmed. Centuries were mentioned, and 100 years is assumed, but the flood could happen long after TP.

To remove Link from the equation (allowing for Ganon takeover) without killing him, they could just send him home, that would get him out of the way.

The new wolf system actually has a lot of promise gameplay wise, from various trailers we can already see the extent of the magic weilded by Midna.

We figure the wolf/link transformations will be handled a lot like Metroid Prime 2. Different portal like areas (perhaps warping will be done with the ocarina or it's reincarnation) will send Link back and forth to get through the place, with doors only existing on one of the sides.

With all of the new races out there, TP has to take place quite a while after Oot, unless somehow the new people are coming from somewhere else, alternate dimensions like Termina.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
"Playable code of forthcoming Gamecube title The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess will be offered to the public for the first time ever this August, at the Edinburgh Interactive Entertainment Festival in Scotland. In what amounts to a major coup for the EIEF, the game will be showed off alongside Nintendogs and Battalion Wars.

Taking place between August 10-14, the EIEF will be held at the Edinburgh International Conference Centre. Further information regarding bookings is available at the official EIEF website."

Can anyone make this?

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
HeroOfTime said:
That hasn't been said. The cloak is nothing more than a mourner's robe. Zelda is wearing it because she is mourning what has become of her kingdom.
Maybe she's just cold? :p

Seriously, unless the cloak does protect her or something, she probably wears it because the game designers thought it looked cool...they don't put that much thought into stuff...

And I would so love to go to that thing...

HeroOfTime

BRoomer
BRoomer
Fierce Deity Vegeta said:
Seriously, unless the cloak does protect her or something, she probably wears it because the game designers thought it looked cool...they don't put that much thought into stuff...
She wear it because she is mourning. Aonuma has stated this in an interview. ;)

I can't find a link to the interview, though. :ohwell:

Hawkeyes

Smash Cadet
Sorry if this is old but IGN has a small update: right here.

Anybody get the new Nintendo Power? It had an interview with the artist responsible for art from Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, The Wind Waker, and now, Twilight Princess. It was very interesting to me because I draw and I'm sure everyone else will find it a good read. Someone on GameFAQs had scans from the issue but I cannot find them.

GanNingoftheBell

Smash Apprentice
Creature_85 said:
I'm surprised I haven't posted in here yet.

I was talking with a few friends, and we theorized a few things about the game. First off, it does not have to end with any relating to WW, because an exact number of years between Oot and WW was never confirmed. Centuries were mentioned, and 100 years is assumed, but the flood could happen long after TP.
Still, from the Legend of what happened and the stuff that we find out in Windwaker

Ganondorf comes back, and Link cant save Hyrule because Ganon disposes of the sages who empower the Master sword.

This game is in the right place, and it has Ganondorf. I find it MORE likely that this is when Hyrule gets screwed than when it doesnt

Top Bottom