• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lucario Video and Critique Thread

Ojih~Sama

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ojih-sama
3DS FC
1907-9993-5995
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lpz1M4-6ZEc

alrite, so i recently picked up lucario and i have a friendly set here with a friend from college.
i feel my lucario is improving but when i look back at the replay i see rather lame mistakes on my part that cost me games 2 and 3, so im hoping that i can get some pointers, would be helpful :)

VaxtinTheWolf

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1977-0415-5766

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Here are vids from the tournament on the 24th, I'll have some more up eventually, but can you guys critique these first?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFRiYPjIqv4 Vs. Lee% (Falco) 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKaGBO3Z-7c Vs. Lee% (Falco) 2

Edit: Got 2 more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swmCTIOuFRo Vs. TWiNK (TLink) 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbst4Jigxqc Vs. TWiNK (TLink) 2
I'm sorry I didn't do this earlier. Like I promised.

The bad:

Firs thing I notice is Fsmash spacing, you have been told to fix this so I haven;t seen recent vids of you, this remember Ftilt/Fsmash for spacing. However if you get a read on Falco if he tried to ledge jump ir Side B it is a good punisher for it. Also something I do to Falco when I read a Side B is rolling backward and catching him on landing.

Get up attack off the ledge, first match against the Falco you do it a lot. Watch that habit because it is very punishable. Try to mic up ledge options more.

You roll into people too much, they aren't catching it in these vids but you should reduce this a lot more and work on walking approaching, this way instead of committing all those frames to it you can be free to use any options you want, like roll, lol, shield, spot dodge, attacks etc. Be careful of this because if Falco read this he could Usmash or Fsmash you on a read. TL can get some nasty set-ups if your not careful. Twink seemed to be a lot better an punishing this compared to the Falco.

Sheild grabs, a lot you mispace these, or do it on reaction to people hitting your shield and try it when it won;t work, try jab or dash grabs to get those punishes. Still this is another habit I;m noticing, be care of this and try to mix up how you punish people.

The good:
You air walk, dunno if this is intentional or not but it's very good to do out of hitstun.

Your good at the TL match-up how you play it and carefully approach is good for not running into the **** and taking your time. You also power shield his projectiles pretty well on reaction, which makes approaching a lot easier. This also helps with your play safe nature, you live pretty long and get the big hits with aura when they count.

Your aggressive offstage, this is very very good. This is something I wish I could do better. Your taking advantage of TL and Falco at times when they are low to not in a good spot to recovery well to get free damage off.

Reactions, you tend to see people doing things and punishing it well when you see it. Get up attack from Twink? you Dair him when he comes up. Sometime it might be just situations but if you think they will spotdodge or airdodge into the ground Fsmash and Ftilt aren't bad ideas.

My thoughts on your Lucario sorry if this is really late.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Got some vids of me from a smashfest today, all friendlies. They'll be up around tomorrow-ish. Sadly, none of Trela since he did not come...

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I should critique those sometime

btw, I should be getting Brawl vids of my Lucario up soon.

edit: nooooooooooo, why are half these files corrupt? T_T

@ Nives: Match 1, You seem to kinda just aim for the opponent and rush in, just because his shield's booty doesn't mean he has ways to completely outspace you. Approaching is a delicate art, and one that I think more lucarios need to be good at in this game, since most of the high tiers end up beating us in camping. Try landing right outside his pivot grab range and see if you can punish, or pressure with dair right above him to force him to move, dair is a really good move in this MU because it's way safer in this MU and allows you to change up your approach when spaced right (since if you space it right, you can nair or air dodge, or even jump again sometimes), and if you get a dair above him, he either A: got hit, or B: used his laggy shield to block it (which he can't use aerials out of, by the way), which means you're safe either way. Dair also helps restrict his movement, you can pseudo-wall with it sometimes if you predict where he's gonna go. Overall, the Yoshi just got the better of you since he seemed to grasp the MU better, he was a pretty decent Yoshi too. Basically, I think the things you need to look at the most is your approach and pressure, I felt he got away with too much because he wasn't pressured, partially due to how linear your movement was at first.

Match 2: lol you severely outplayed your opponent, good call in using your shield, most people forget how unsafe Falco's aerials are on block. imo he ran into a looooot of your stuff, if you play against a better falco in the future, use a little less fsmash since that will get outsped, although there will be plenty of moments for a hard read in that MU. Also be careful of using dair when that high above falco, he can get a good kill off of you for whiffing at that height. Also do less ff bair, that is mega punishable by a good falco. cool edgeguard at the end, by the way.

Match 3: Pretty good, imo you should use a little more jab in this MU (actually, try to incorporate more jab in general), When you're edgeguarding marth, be careful of using just fsmash over and over again, they can counter. I would throw in an occasional rar'd bair, sh dair, or uair for when they jump, and AS is really good because if you have it charging and wait there, there's not a lot of options marth can do without some good risk, since you can easily shield cancel for if they jump or ledge hop -> counter. Rely on shieldgrabbing just a little less, against a good marth it'll be hard to shield grab spaced fairs and nairs and it'll get you punished a lot more XP.

Overall: You've got a lucario that can do some work, but you should probably also test your mettle against top players in your area as well to see how well you'd do. You've got some dair habits and a reliance on shieldgrab that's a little worrisome, but it works out because you're playing against people who either have never played against lucario, or aren't more aware of their options against those. Throw out less "knee-jerk" fairs and bairs, even these got punished by your friends. Play around more with your approach, using some b-reversed AS tricks seems gimmicky, but they do go a long way to help mix up your landings and approach. Try also looking at all you can do out of a short hop and full hop, I didn't know until I played around that if you buffer a air dodge from a short hop, you have enough time to nair/dair/sideB, which makes for an interesting mixup, it's not the best option per se, but sometimes a good mixup is the difference between getting a good setup for more reads, and just getting punished over and over again.

Nobody commented on mine either. But mine was (very) bad anyways. I've barely ever played this game

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Dark Falco has a pretty good CQC game, I wouldn't recommend running at him like you have been :x

If you fight him again try some fake out approaches.

iRJi

Smash Champion
Their on their way. I actually just bought the new Dazzle like promised 2 nights ago. I have not been home to upload any new content. I am just uploading what I have on my laptop stored away. As soon as I can get home this weekend to grab the videos from my PC, they will be up.

Steam

Smash Hero
Phiiil why are you jumping so much against marth? jumping at Marth facing him is just asking for trouble. in that situation he outranges us, outdisjoints us, and out damages us by a lot. if you're going to be jumping and using an aerial against marth it should prolly be bair because it competes with marth's fair... but it's still a matchup where it's best to plant your feet on the ground. Obviously Fsmash to space aerials on landing... instant Dash attack to potentially punish marth's spaced moves. and Ftilt can surprisingly compete with marth's moveset. but all that is IMO... I'm no expert on the marth MU

also I haven't asked for advice from any lucario in months... I know it's against lucas but it's all I really have :/ just general **** would be good.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEJpoH-wwh0

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Yeah, I probably should, I was hoping to make him fair more for punishment instead of waiting/empty hopping around, he's sooo ridiculously patient. I usually hold my own against bad marths that fair into lucario but, MikeHAZE was very different to play.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Yeah, that definitely was not working, was hoping to get some reads, although it was generally unpunished (fortunately so, usmash is soooo laggy).

Steam

Smash Hero
upsmash probably isn't the best move to use after Uthrow. there are better options that cover the same things :/

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Would you do a dash -> AS if they DI away? I was thinking of doing fair stuff, but got discouraged from getting fair ***** so hard.

Steam

Smash Hero
if they DI and AD I usually try to grab them or catch their landing with a dash attack. if he throws out fair shield and punish since it won't be spaced... unless he uses fair right before he hits the ground to make it frame safe against us. in which case Dash attack will catch him before he fairs.

jumping at him can work too if he's doing delayed fair. but due to marth's GTFO game you won't get much reward off of it with fair shenanigans. so Uair or nair would be best or bair if he DIs behind you... this of course at higher%.

at low% you can probably just Utilt him unless you predict upB/downB

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
This is some pretty good stuff, thanks

I guess I wasn't playing very smart, but hey, first national, so it's a first time for everything, right?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Opponent holds jab button...it's over.

tekkie

Smash Master
Gimme vids of you playing against Dekar with Lucario, then we'll talk.
i'm working on that. i actually live/go to college 80 miles away and don't have a car so that'll have to be something for you to look forward to for now :awesome:

btw, did you play against him at genesis2?

Top Bottom