• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lucario Video and Critique Thread

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Hey~
I'll be posting here pretty soon. I think i've hit a wall with this character. Feels like no matter how much new tricks and set ups I learn, I still stay the same. Its disappointing. I think my main problem is i'm not serious enough. Like I don't fathom how well i'm suppose to play until its too late. I always start off weak, then get serious when i'm in peril, but its a little too late. Fitting for a lucario I guess, but I can't afford to play like that in tournament.

A tourney's coming up, so i'll see if I can nab some replays from there.

Other then that. Anyone got any good guides? Not of lucario. I know his moveset inside and out, but...just some kinda guide or write up for getting past a mental block? I'd really appreciate it.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I want to post a match here so people can tell me what I do wrong, but i keep forgetting to save matches.

DrSoussou

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2552-2785-0774
i've never uploaded one here because idk how to convert replay files into a youtube-friendly format

DrSoussou

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2552-2785-0774
i'm bad at analyzing Lucario dittos, someone else take this one

i did like your consistently good use of rising nair

and lol at your opponent dying while attempting to gimp

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
I actually use to be semi-decent at the lucario ditto. I don't know how good I am now. Honestly the last stock is the only thing that matters in this match-up unless you/ your opponent is 2/3 stocking. If they are that means the losing player just needs to get better in general.

DT is actually more useful in this match-up than in others. I still don't recommenced using it all that much. Lucario's options vs. Lucario are some of the most predictable things in the game. You also have to be careful how you put on damage. You have to realize that you will get hit. The question is what will you get hit by. Just don't get hit by something that will kill you.

I know this advise sounds trivial, but it really comes don't to not dying. The ditto auto balances itself even if one player is usually better than another. With that knowledge your execution has to be exact. That missed punish gives your opponent a opportunity to punish you.

This MU is dumb. In tournament I have always found that if your opponent has any secondary at all they will switch.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787

Other then that. Anyone got any good guides? Not of lucario. I know his moveset inside and out, but...just some kinda guide or write up for getting past a mental block? I'd really appreciate it.
Very very late response, but here. Read this:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=273746

And then start playing :pit:, :bowser2:, :dk2:, and whatever character more often.
Best thing I've seen in a character board is Lucas's advanced techniques in, well, the Lucas boards.
Any other guide on basic stuff is nice, but keep watching players on videos and see how they do it so you can learn.
And then.........learn advanced techniques on any character.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Ahh its all good now man, but I appreciate you actually took the time to dig up something for me. I'll bookmark this for the next mental breakdown I have.

I figured out my problem was I wasn't letting instinct take over fully. Once I let go and stopped second guessing my actions for even a milisecond I started pulling off crap like reversing aurasphere charges in the air, to land infront of my opponent and grab. Like, consistently without thinking. A tactic I knew existed but I was never bold enough to do. I focused so damn much on spacing and being safe that i never tried anything bold because of the risk. ****, I landed that stuff everytime against a guy that clobbered me a day before, and ended up winning.

Sorry, i'm totally proud of myself right now for finally overcoming this barrier~ <3

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Good to know, man. I'm pretty glad you're moving up some more.

Now I need help on who to decide I go all with on september's tourney.
Man, it's either :lucario: or :kirby2:. I can't decide.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Just use both. Kirby is better in the DDD and maybe wario MU.

:phone:

Regin

Smash Cadet
Here is a video of my first time using Lucario in a tournament. I've only been playing with him for about a month and I would love it if I could get some valuable advice for my gameplay. Disregard my crazy input malfunction that resulted in diddy losing a stock -__-'

Esam+Stingers(Green) vs Rgin+Jag(Red)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH6YTcSnF1U&feature=plcp

theDuL0R

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I'm theDuL0R from LI and I main Lucario. And I got a funny wall clinging video from a friendly game I had with APEX|Vinnie this past Friday. It made him quit the game just so he could record my wall clinging shenanigans. He suggested that I post it on the Lucario boards. Enjoy!

Vinnie says WTF theDuL0R

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I always thought wall clinging over and over again to the same wall wouldn't work. Like, I thought it was basically the same thing as wall jumping, where you have to be facing the wall in order to jump off it, and jumping off a wall turns you around. That's pretty swag.

EDIT: Just tested it, it isn't very hard to do, and it seems pretty situational. Definately worth knowing about though. I legit had no idea you could infinitely do that. You don't have to be facing the wall or anything, it's quite easy. Themoreyouknow.jpg

theDuL0R

Smash Journeyman
Holy ****!
New Lucario CP stage found. Nice sticky jumping shenanigans Dulor~
Just don't take an Olimar to this stage. It is nicknamed on LI as Dabuz's Castle for a reason lol!

I always thought wall clinging over and over again to the same wall wouldn't work. Like, I thought it was basically the same thing as wall jumping, where you have to be facing the wall in order to jump off it, and jumping off a wall turns you around. That's pretty swag.

EDIT: Just tested it, it isn't very hard to do, and it seems pretty situational. Definately worth knowing about though. I legit had no idea you could infinitely do that. You don't have to be facing the wall or anything, it's quite easy. Themoreyouknow.jpg
Yeah it is very easy to do actually! It's simply just pressing back when you are back next to the wall. And I have to admit, this was done entirely on accident! But its great when you don't have a jump after a chain grab lol. And I'm just so glad to bring something new (I think this is new, cause Vinnie and Allied bugged out when they saw this) to the table as a new competitive player! :D

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Beautiful!!! Very well executed 2v1's. You seemed relaxed, calm and focused. Not much to say. You used upsmash on edge which is a fantastic option. Maybe more Breversed AS. Also why were you trying to challenge lucario's dair with upair? I don't get it. That set was fun to watch. Keep it up.

theDuL0R

Smash Journeyman

D. Disciple

Smash Master
Beautiful!!! Very well executed 2v1's. You seemed relaxed, calm and focused. Not much to say. You used upsmash on edge which is a fantastic option. Maybe more Breversed AS. Also why were you trying to challenge lucario's dair with upair? I don't get it. That set was fun to watch. Keep it up.
Half the time I wanted to utilt, but I wanted to move away while doing uair. So I'm avoiding the bigger part of the hitbox.

Next time I'm just gonna do retreating fairs.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Oh my 45 minutes!!! I typically don't like to watch sets in parts. I guess I will make comments later or not. I will watch it though. I have seen every video that came through this thread for ~the last year. This shall be no different.

theDuL0R

Smash Journeyman
Oh my 45 minutes!!! I typically don't like to watch sets in parts. I guess I will make comments later or not. I will watch it though. I have seen every video that came through this thread for ~the last year. This shall be no different.
I need to catch up on the videos. But 45 minutes of video sounds awesome! Just finished watching the video D.D. Good stuff, great synergy with your teammate. Just gotta stop rolling into Snake. He will eat Lucario alive with tilts all day! Other than that, good stuff my man!

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
So I finished watching the set. More of the same. Dair is good and I didn't feel you go t overly punished for it. Just use it smarter. Rolling did get you killed a couple of times. You used it as a panic button. When you would get 2vs.1'd I felt like you forgot you could just jump out of shield. It seemed like you would always roll in the of snake. IMO.

The only other thing I saw was just knowing what battle lucario wins and what lucario loses. I have the same problem and I know it will take a while to memorize when I have the priority/ can trade. This stop you from guess whether or not your move will hit. Good stuff. I wish more lucarios would post stuff here.

theDuL0R

Smash Journeyman
So I finished watching the set. More of the same. Dair is good and I didn't feel you go t overly punished for it. Just use it smarter. Rolling did get you killed a couple of times. You used it as a panic button. When you would get 2vs.1'd I felt like you forgot you could just jump out of shield. It seemed like you would always roll in the of snake. IMO.

The only other thing I saw was just knowing what battle lucario wins and what lucario loses. I have the same problem and I know it will take a while to memorize when I have the priority/ can trade. This stop you from guess whether or not your move will hit. Good stuff. I wish more lucarios would post stuff here.
One thing I learned and learned hard, was to never roll into Snake. It's probably one of the worse things we can do! Especially at at High Percent. UpTilt out of shield...kiss your stock goodbye! I would've tried to keep away from Snake, take out the other guy (especially when he's just a Melee Player and doesn't know Brawl that well) while trying to build up damage on Snake. But overall, great matches D. Disciple!

And once I start performing better, I'll start posting matches here on the thread.

DrSoussou

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2552-2785-0774
Thanks to John2k4, I can finally post some videos of myself playing for you guys to see. The first two are games between my friend and I (Lucario vs Falco), then two more friendlies against 8Bitman and NickRiddle respectively. Be brutal.

Dr. Souss vs. AZN (Falco)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFbwZ8YMXU8&feature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsJ6TNKsgdQ&feature=plcp

Dr. Souss (Lucario) vs. 8Bitman (Diddy)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdV_EXCkyNA&feature=plcp

Dr. Souss (Lucario) vs. NickRiddle (ZSS)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCTI3RYSNGU&feature=plcp

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
I'm going to be honest. So I watched the match with 8bitman and I have to say that entire match sucked. Having TONS of top level diddy expirence from player-1, biglou, and a little DRN I have to say that 8 bitman doesn't really know how to play diddy that well and you need to stop reovering low, learn to DI, and learn how to meteor cancel. It is hard to gague true skill when both of you SD/get gimped in horrific ways for the first 2 stocks each. I'm excited to see you vs. nickRiddle I have never done well vs. DRN so maybe this will provide me with more insight. I will also watch the math with AZN later.

Maybe one day I can get a set with me and Player-1 on here.

Edit: So I finished watching the vids. Your general approach to falco was correct. Just keep control of the center more and the rest will come with practice. Good job. You did great vs. nick riddle IMO. It seemed that first stock you were just panicking. After you gained some composure you did just fine minus the SD. I'm impressed. I will be rewatching that match in the upcoming months I saw some thing I really liked.

DrSoussou

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2552-2785-0774
I'm going to be honest. So I watched the match with 8bitman and I have to say that entire match sucked. Having TONS of top level diddy expirence from player-1, biglou, and a little DRN I have to say that 8 bitman doesn't really know how to play diddy that well and you need to stop reovering low, learn to DI, and learn how to meteor cancel. It is hard to gague true skill when both of you SD/get gimped in horrific ways for the first 2 stocks each. I'm excited to see you vs. nickRiddle I have never done well vs. DRN so maybe this will provide me with more insight. I will also watch the math with AZN later.

Maybe one day I can get a set with me and Player-1 on here.

Edit: So I finished watching the vids. Your general approach to falco was correct. Just keep control of the center more and the rest will come with practice. Good job. You did great vs. nick riddle IMO. It seemed that first stock you were just panicking. After you gained some composure you did just fine minus the SD. I'm impressed. I will be rewatching that match in the upcoming months I saw some thing I really liked.
Yeah that match vs Diddy was saved just for the lulz cuz we both SD'd in the very beginning. I thought it was one of our serious ones but i was wrong, he's actually got a pretty good Diddy. I agree with what you said about my match against NickRiddle too. At first I was like OMG HE'S SO FAST AND SO GOOD and then I realized that I could hold my own and tried harder. *** Frigate Orpheon

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Steam... quit spamming Jab to FP :p

The Gyro is a landing frame trap, quit trying to land on it.

AS turnaround to BAirrrrrrrr gives ROB trouble when he tries to heckle you off stage.

You could've killed him way earlier with UTilt/DTilt on first stock.

ROB's FAir is annoying, try to imagine it like Marth's if you wanna counter his spacing with FTilt up.

UThrow at high %s, why...?

Sexy stagespike tech. Sexy ending.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
A move that leads to follow up is only good if you land the follow ups. I can imagine maybe a UThrow to Rob landing on a platform to UTilt or something at low %s, but you're guaranteed more damage at any % unless you're way behind in stock with DThrow rather than UThrow. You may rather stay grounded anyway and charge up AS because you know what happens if ROB is on the ground and you're in the air :< Weight of risk.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
I see them. I need to get through my 2 college midterms then I'll look at them.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
I saw you stuff I just never posted. You have improved a lot from the last time I saw a video of you. You seem to just be doing smarter things in general.

Just a couple of things. Jab 2-3 is always bad on marth. Just don't use it. Always jab> roll or Jab. grab. Also vs. ROB if you know he is going to go under the stage grab the ledge or run off and start using Dair. Do anything to put pressure on him and limit his options so you can get an easier read.

Nau

Smash Rookie
Hi guys
I wanted to get some advice basing on my videos of the last national spanish tournament, as the next one is pretty soon and I would like to correct some of the errors I might have had.
Please, in the first set (the one vs rydle) notice I was choking and making mistakes I wouldn't have done otherwise, so don't point out things like "wow you suck at punishing nados", that won't really help me (that was a nerves problem!). Also I fought him again in losers and lost last game last hit but it wasn't uploaded idk why.
Well here are the videos (I only have 2 sets but anyway...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIZtg5Yvuag&feature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzLk0KxUNVc&feature=plcp
Thank you for reading or watching or commenting!

Top Bottom