• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lucas Player Interview Thread: RocketPSIence

Status
Not open for further replies.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Omg I didn't miss this.

Do you ever intend on returning my fireballs? Because like, in Paper Mario those things were like 10 coins a piece and you took like 100 fireballs. I don't have that many coins!!!

Count

Smash Champion
Tyr, the diddy comment made me sad :(. Especially after the glory of the tourney we teamed together.

Its okay though you're still awesome.

cloudenvy112

Smash Apprentice
Have you ever felt like you'll get worse with Lucas by playing someone who sucks?

Do you play against the computer? If so, do you develop any bad habits from them?

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Why don't you go to more tournaments?

Do you still B-stick for some matchups?

Are you going to Pound 4?

Do you have a job?

What's your favorite color?

Galeon

Smash Ace
What color Lucas do you main?
Purple with the pink tennis shoes. Used to be red but I got bored so made the change.

you are considered as the best Lucas main, how do you feel about that?
It's kinda cool getting recognized. Like joining some random livestream and the Lucas topic comes up, somebody usually mentions me. It's a pretty good feeling since recognition is like the only perk of being a Lucas main xD. As for being considered the best, iunno. We'll see if I do anything I can be proud of when Winterfest comes around. As for if I think I'm the best Lucas main, well, I'll wait till that question is asked.

Where did you come up with your name?
I used to write short stories when I was in high school. Galeon was the common name for my main character. Didn't even start off anything specific, I just thought the name was cool. I needed a username to sign up with on smashboards and didnt think I'd have to rep it for so long. Only people who call me Galeon though are people who just know me as the Lucas player. All my friends call me C.

How did you learn how to use dtilt lock so well in the last stock of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWAOoJ0YVxQ ? Did you practice for hours on end wiggling the control stick from down to left from down to left without accidentally doing an ftilt or dsmash or dash attack or whatever, or did you just use your c-sick somehow?
To tell you the truth, it just came down to training mode. What helped was that I reaaaally wanted to learn it. Lucas was 'ok' to me at that point but then I saw this cool new trick where you could hit someone.. and didnt have to stop till they were dead. It brought me so much joy lol. I wanted to have it perfect, so I just practiced until I got it. It doesnt take long if you're enjoying it (not getting frustrated). Now, I can actually jab lock chars across the stage without looking at the screen. Perfect time to stare at/console your opponent or turn away from the screen to ask someone to buy you a soda mid match.

Why don't you go to more tournaments?

Do you still B-stick for some matchups?

Are you going to Pound 4?

Do you have a job?

What's your favorite color?
I don't drive. I go to whichever tournies my steady ride goes to when I have the money. Now that I work, I have the money but less time ha. I actually b-stick for all matches except for Pikachu (since I prefer being able to consistently di his stuff than spacing pk fires/zap jumping). I'll know if I'm going to Pound 4 when Winterfest finishes. If I make money or if I'm still feeling super into Brawl, then I'll go. Otherwise, not really into spending that much money to go somewhere just to play brawl. My favorite color is purple.

your favorite fast food joint?

you play any other games competitivly?
Hmm changes like every week, really. I used to loooove BK sooo much but then they discontinued my Cheesy Bacon Tendercrisp and since then, I've chosen never to forgive them. Checkers has the Baconzilla but I hate their fries. Wendy's is.. a tragedy. I only eat there when I'm broke. Despite making a terrible mistake, I still gotta go with BK since the BK Oreo Sundae Shake is just way too good when its done right.

I tried to play Blazblue competitively. I played Carl too with a lil bit of Tager. I got bored and lent the game out though. I might get back into it but I wouldnt consider myself competitive. Im gonna be into Tekken 6 but the chars I'm gonna play (Xiaoyu and Marduk) arent too good so I wouldnt see myself as competitive in that either. Really, the games that I guess fall into the category are games that wont have super serious tourney scenes, like Castlevania: Judgment, the tenkaichi series, ngnt/rev series (10 person tournies arent super serious) and stuff like that.

OniTheWolf

Smash Journeyman
You owned me hard, you Lucas is so sexy xD, how did you get it like that, by practicing with the "right people"?

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Have you noticed any other Lucas players worth mentioning in the state of Florida?

Do you still play Melee? If so, which character(s)?

Do you have any secondaries?

Does it bother you when random people approach you asking for friendlies/money matches?

Any hobbies outside of gaming?

How long do you plan on making your Smash career?

Do you think you could play Lucas as well without corn rows?

What's your college major and/or plans for the future?

What sort of short stories do/did you write? I'm just curious 'cuz I also write (fiction) in my free time.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Why is it that not until about less than a week ago we found out that your black O.o?

prOAPC

Smash Lord
i remember Galeon posted a picture with 2 other guys, but nobody knew he was the black guy lol

have you ever watched some videos of other Lucas players to learn/copy/whatever stuff? Could you name them?

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
Would you prefer fighting in the standard Brawl, or hacked ones like Balanced Brawl and Brawl+? (bbrawl removes all grab release crap)

Galeon

Smash Ace
You owned me hard, you Lucas is so sexy xD, how did you get it like that, by practicing with the "right people"?
Yup. By playing enough people, you just get used to seeing certain situations and being able to deal with them. I'll tell you straight up that I'm not a creative player. If I'm forced to fight something I've never seen before then I'll get wrecked. If I've been in the situation from past experiences, I can adjust and know what to do. One of my biggest regrets in this game was when I was first getting my name out there and started getting 'big-headed', not doing friendlies with Lucas. I would beat them with a secondary char or a char I didnt play kind of as if saying "See? I can beat you with this character. I dont have to play Lucas." But that style of thinking only hurts you since you're losing out on experience.

You can learn from people who are WAY worse than you and the only reason I was even using those secondaries was cause I was a little worried about people taking stocks off me or beating me when I knew I was better. Play everyone you can, get as many friendlies as you can in tournies. Don't worry about people learning your style. Its alot more frustrating to lose to gimmicks your first time playing someone in tourney than losing to someone you believe completely outplayed you. I've been playing this game seriously since the Jpn release so I had a head start with some of Florida's best players and just kept going with it.

Have you noticed any other Lucas players worth mentioning in the state of Florida?

Do you still play Melee? If so, which character(s)?

Do you have any secondaries?

Does it bother you when random people approach you asking for friendlies/money matches?

Any hobbies outside of gaming?

How long do you plan on making your Smash career?

Do you think you could play Lucas as well without corn rows?

What's your college major and/or plans for the future?

What sort of short stories do/did you write? I'm just curious 'cuz I also write (fiction) in my free time.
Actionb@stard is another Lucas in Fl. He actually made me change my playstyle a little because our playstyles are so different. I play my Lucas in a generally safe way and expect my kill moves to be ftilt and dthrow. I'd only use a smash if they did something really unsafe or airdodge into me. I watched him play and he would throw it out and get early kills with it. He would also punish some platform landings with usmash from below. I was just like O_o because I knew things like that were punishable with smashes but I just never went for it cause I wasnt used to it. Onithewolf is a newer Lucas player in Fl. He's probably the youngest brawl player in the state and is promising. The kid learns pretty fast and fixes things when they get pointed out to him. All he needs is more experience.

I dont play Melee anymore but when I did, I was Mario/Falcon. In brawl, I'm actually learning Snake so I can co-main him with Lucas. In a perfect world, Snake'd be my main but I just know so many matchups with Lucas that in tourney, I know I'd go Lucas under pressure.

I actually like when people I don't know ask me for friendlies/mm's because it gives me a chance to fight a new playstyle. It's a double plus if they recognize my name, lol. These are also the type of people who usually put out a few 'Wut...?'s since they havent seen Lucas shenanigans/how fast he can be on you. Hobbies? I just like hanging out with friends, doesnt matter what we're doing. I wanna get good at DDR after yesterday lol. I'm gonna play Smash until all my friends stop.

I'm pretty sure Lucas is powered by my corn rows. The general consensus in Fl is that Lucas is a farmer because nobody knows what he does in his game. His up smash is a prime example of crop picking.

I'm an English major. I wrote fiction too, stuff that was pretty out there tho. I'm not really into writing about stuff that could reasonably happen.

What makes you keep using Lucas, not a higher tier character?

What advice do you have for Lucas mains trying to get better?

Do you like waffles?
Recognition keeps me playing Lucas. I so wish that I didnt do well when I picked up Lucas. If I didn't, I'd be playing a clearly better char by now. But now I'm just used to him so its hard to change. I'm trying though.

To get better, play. There's no trick to it. Try to watch people's patterns. Take small steps first. Watch how people get up off the ledge. Roll behind them shamelessly once and see what they do. Were they waiting for it? Did they sidestep? Watching for things like that'll at least get you more kills. As for waffles, they're ok. I'm more of a pancake man, maself.

Why is it that not until about less than a week ago we found out that your black O.o?
Lol, I guess it doesnt come up alot in convo.

Do you think you're the best?
Ha, this question is pretty tough. I've been called the best Lucas literally since the game came out. I had a vid of me winning a tourney for the game in like a week after it was released but I've never been able to actually say that I'm the best Lucas. Cant bring myself to do it. There's alot of good players out there. Okin was the first Lucas I watched that really impressed me cause it was like ****, this guy's smart. Nowadays, people like Tyr and Apc are beasting it up like crazy. The thing about trying to gauge who the best is among Lucas players is that in the end it does come down to opinion. None of the notable Lucas players get a chance to fight the same people so you cant compare that. We rarely meet at the same tournies or travel. Placings are generally inconsistent. All the vids that are out are either tourney matches that are good, but you know don't show everything or friendly matches where us Lucas players sandbag our ***** off/try new things.

To put it flat out, being the best Lucas is alot harder than it used to be. If I had to flat out say who I think it's the best, I think for now me, Tyr and Apc are sitting on the top. Tyr's **** good. Apc's probably the smartest Lucas across the globe just because he realized before any of us that Lucas needs top tier backup to win tournies. The reason I won't give it to any of us is cause of consistency and we all play soooo **** different that it's incomparable (I could say what I mean by that but that comes just from a small selection of vids, which isnt fair). I have respect for all of em and out of those three, I'm probably coming from behind since the other 2's biggest accomplishments are more recent. So I gotta prove myself when winterfest comes around.

I will say this though. PinkFresh is probably the future undisputed best Lucas main. He's amazing, has matchup experience and his Lucas shows traits of all the best Lucas players out there. Once he goes to more tournies, I could see him doing something huge.

Who would you say is your hardest matchup?
Snake or Diddy. Silly chars. They're beatable but man, I feel like I try so much harder. They can almost autopilot and keep it close.

have you ever watched some videos of other Lucas players to learn/copy/whatever stuff? Could you name them?
I used to avoid watching other Lucas players as a pride thing but now I watch and steal shamelessly. I liked Seanson's dairs at the ledge in his old vids against Rob, stole em. I liked Apc's footstool dairs so tried to find situations for em. I liked how Sade caught airdodges after nair with smashes so consistently so I stole that. I liked Tyr's general use of dair and forced it in my anti-Snake game. Like I said, I'm not creative so its great to see cool new things to add to my game.

Would you prefer fighting in the standard Brawl, or hacked ones like Balanced Brawl and Brawl+? (bbrawl removes all grab release crap)
I like Brawl+ Lucas. I like Snake in standard brawl since your work/predictions actually shows itself in your reward, maybe more than it should.

Galeon

Smash Ace
Why is raikage your sig?
He's too much of a man for someone not to rep him. I could go into examples but I dont wanna do spoilers for those who dont keep up with the manga.

Where do you think lucas should be in the next tier list?
Right where he is. His placing was put up probably without knowledge of some of Lucas's better things but also without some of the worse things. In the end, it kinda balances out to where he is.

Have you played MOTHER 3?
I have the rom on my comp and I got up to the part with Salsa. Haven't played it in like a month now, though. I have a history of never finishing a 1p game (unless there are cheat codes that warp you to the last level). I'm way more into fighting games or just anything where you can make someone lose.

OniTheWolf

Smash Journeyman
Have you played M2K and/or Ally?

(This might have been answered) How long did it take you to master the DAir DTilt Lock combo 'till you were able to lock your opponent all the way across the stage?

Do you like Lucas Ditto's?

How long did it take you to get used to Zap Jump recovering? I've seen video's of you recovering that way.

What's Lucas's best edge guard technique in your opinion?

What's your favorite taunt?

Do you like any sports?

Snipa4800

Smash Lord
How could you let Riddle replace you with Shaky?
Why did you guys break up the team if you consistently placed 2nd.
Aren't you and Nick Riddle Bffs? xP

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
Would you prefer playing standard brawl or Balanced Brawl (where abuse against ness and lucas through Grab Release is eliminated), if given the choice between two tournaments that use either one?

If grab release crap didn't exist (i.e. Lucas and Ness come out of GRs within the same amount of frames as everyone else) where would you think Lucas is on the tier list?

Favourite food?

Galeon

Smash Ace
Have you played M2K and/or Ally?

(This might have been answered) How long did it take you to master the DAir DTilt Lock combo 'till you were able to lock your opponent all the way across the stage?

Do you like Lucas Ditto's?

How long did it take you to get used to Zap Jump recovering? I've seen video's of you recovering that way.

What's Lucas's best edge guard technique in your opinion?

What's your favorite taunt?

Do you like any sports?
I played M2K back in 2008 at FAST in pools. Got 1 stocked close then easily 2 stocked. Fought Ally on wifi only mid 2008 when I started doing wifi to get snake practice and got 2-stocked over and over. It was pretty bad. I didnt even challenge him again lol.

Mastered the lock thing in about a day but even today, sometimes I mistime my fastfall and the crowd goes 'Awww'. I hate Lucas dittos. They're not fun at all =/. Practiced zap jumping for months in training mode till I felt comfy enough to do it when I wanted.

Invincibility dair'ing/bair'ing someone feels the best but pk thunder is the most effective. My favorite taunt? I like em all about the same. If I just went on a rampage, I like to do the trip. If it was an anticlimactic ftilt kill, I'll do the rope snake one. I like to play sports, not watch em.

How could you let Riddle replace you with Shaky?
Why did you guys break up the team if you consistently placed 2nd.
Aren't you and Nick Riddle Bffs? xP
Lol I didnt really have a choice in the matter, apparently. He teamed with Shaky at Halloween Bash with the team name 'In honor of Galeon', they got 2nd and decided to ditch me, which in hindsight is pretty funny (team name plus the fact we dont place lower than 2nd). Terrible, but funny. His reasoning was that Shaky did not get gimped and had a bthrow. So to test out who he would team with, he decided to team with both of us at Tommy G's smashfest to see who he did better with against Chaz+Seibrik(current number 1 team). I was up first. To directly fix the problems he said we had, I decided to stop stock tanking, fight up front so its harder to get me off stage and use more kill moves. The result was that I was killing them at an average of 110% (early 80% fsmash/usmashes with dthrows/ftilts at 140) and didnt get gimped once in like the 4 sets we had. However what I didnt count on was that Seibrik learned how to ledge Justin so he starts getting stagespiked at 60... consistently, and it looked like he was getting frustrated. The final rundown I believe was that we lost the first, won the next 4, lost 3, won 2.

Shaky teamed up with Justin and they had a better record against the Marth/MK team (easier to grab them than fsmash them) but a worse record vs the Marth/DDD team. At the end of the day, he decided to go with Shaky. This answer probably sounds a little bitter (cause it is) but it's whatev, y'know. I'm still friends with em even if I'm not happy with what went down. So close to winterfest too =/. I was pretty surprised to find out I was getting ditched especially since I figured we were doing really well/had potential/were pretty good friends. He says he wants to do exceptionally well at Winterfest though so I'm not gonna try to hold him back if he thinks he'll really do better with another partner. On the same note, I'm not gonna team with him again though even if the Shaky thing doesnt work out. I DO hope it DOES work out though, since they're both pretty cool.

Would you prefer playing standard brawl or Balanced Brawl (where abuse against ness and lucas through Grab Release is eliminated), if given the choice between two tournaments that use either one?

If grab release crap didn't exist (i.e. Lucas and Ness come out of GRs within the same amount of frames as everyone else) where would you think Lucas is on the tier list?

Favourite food?
Its funny. Although I helped give most of the advice for how Lucas ended up in BB, I still have yet to play it. So probably normal Brawl. If Lucas/Ness didnt have to deal with gr shenanigans, they'd both probably be solid mid tier. My favorite food? Probably blueberry pancakes with Hungrybox commentary. I love that guy xD.

Galeon

Smash Ace
since noone asked it yet... Do YOU think you're the best Lucas main?

and.. C? I presume that's like the first letter of your name.
Answered the first question lol

And all my friends call me C, yea. My real name is Chandan. It's an indian name that means Wooden Sandal. The H is silent. Guess how often that gets butchered? So everyone calls me C, ha

~Nasty~

Smash Lord
Answered the first question lol

And all my friends call me C, yea. My real name is Chandan. It's an indian name that means Wooden Sandal. The H is silent. Guess how often that gets butchered? So everyone calls me C, ha
yeah sry, my comp was being stupid and didn't display a whole page where you answered that question.

And yeah i bet that get's butchered alot. Thanks for the answers

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I agree with you on the best Lucas thing. Especially about Pink Fresh. I'm starting to think he may already be the best of us. Looking forward to seeing his most recent vids. One of the coolest thing about Lucas is that he actually has different playstyles.

While I'm thinking of it, do you think you'll retire any time soon or continue playing? I only ask because I'm planning on quitting "competitive" smash pretty soon.

Galeon

Smash Ace
Do you think you'll retire any time soon or continue playing?
Like I said, if my friends stop playing, I'm done. I dont especially like the game, its just what we all play. So if they moved on, I would too. A good number of em have already decided brawl wasn't for them so now there's only a handful left playing seriously. No idea how long till I retire, realistically; it could be a month from now, could be never.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom