• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lucas Player Interview Thread: RocketPSIence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galeon

Smash Ace
hablas español?
Y'know, I took Spanish 1 last semester at my school. I dropped it halfway through lol so I know almost nothing in Spanish. I can do greetings, I know the words for rice and beans and I can tell chicks to take off their clothes so I think I could get by for like a day in a Spanish country :laugh:. I actually know more Japanese than I know Spanish. I took three semesters of that at my college.

When you play Brawl, do you verse any computer players at all?
I have but it's not often. When I was trying to learn anything that involved a footstool (like APC shenanigans), I spent time against the computer since they were moving targets. I spend alot more time fighting the training mode comp. All they can do is recover but it makes me feel like a big man to put it to em until I finally get bored. I also fought the computer like once to test out new controls and another time to make this vid I wanted to show someone (which involved a footstool so thats back at the first point).

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
Your name "Galeon" makes me think of the Galeon in Gaogaigar!
^__^

What's your favorite thing about playing as Lucas?

What's your favorite RPG?

What's your favorite Music Genre? :O

Do you have any role models? (players, celeb's?)

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
How's your new controls? I find myself doing normal SH PK fires and b-airs too often so I think I'm just gonna stay with b-sticking.

Galeon

Smash Ace
What do you do in training mode?
I practice my technical. I spend time working on zap jumping in different situations, dustersliding, thundersliding, general movement and buffering (like short hop forward, fast fall, turn around, dsmash), pkt angles, jab locking, throw followups, footstool combos and stage specific lucas tricks.

Your name "Galeon" makes me think of the Galeon in Gaogaigar!
^__^

What's your favorite thing about playing as Lucas?

What's your favorite RPG?

What's your favorite Music Genre? :O

Do you have any role models? (players, celeb's?)
My favorite thing about playing as Lucas is killing people in ways they never agree with, like counterspiking people, bthrow'ing marths at 60 with bad di, fsmashing nonfatties in the low 80s, jab locking em; it all feels amazing. Every time I get a surprise early kill, I remember why I like the char. Plus there's also the fact that there's always someone at a tourney you go to that goes 'woooow' when you do some obscure Lucas tech.

I dont play 1p games generally, just into fighting games really. I'm going to have to go with Mother 3 though even though I'm not that far into it, just because it blew my mind when I tried to go into someone's house at night and everyone had their doors locked. Pokemon had me trained to want free access to everyone's home at all hours of the night without knocking.

Favorite music genre? Eeeeh, I dont really think I can answer that without sounding like a weeaboo, so general hip hop/rap is pretty cool to me. There's not alot of music that I DON'T like, really. As for role models, none really.

How's your new controls? I find myself doing normal SH PK fires and b-airs too often so I think I'm just gonna stay with b-sticking.
The new controls are hit and miss. When I play with them in friendlies, I actually try not to do the pk fires because I'm afraid I might mess up (when the whole point of doing friendlies with the setup is so you can try to do it with only minor pressure) but I stop caring about that when I c-stick someone's face. I've only been trying it for a couple days so I cant have a solid opinion. I've been using b-sticking for months so all that muscle memory's not going anywhere. There's no harm in trying to ride this out until I can make a final decision. Logically though, this is the most ideal control scheme for any Lucas player.

what's your favorite Lucas AT?
Dustersliding if I ever get it perfected. Jab locking is a close second if it counts. Thundersliding WOULD be high on my favorites list if I didnt faceplant so much instead of sliding across the stage.

lil cj

Smash Lord
Are there characters that you dont have trouble beating that most would say is a "bad" matchup for Lucas?

Are there any matchup ratios you think should be changed?

lil cj

Smash Lord
Thanks for posting that APC
Sorry Rocket we got a little side tracked by this new technique
I'll add it to the video thread, its been a while since Ive updated =/

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I know, it's pretty rockin' awesome...

Anyway, so back to the thread

What character would you use if Lucas weren't in Brawl?

~Nasty~

Smash Lord
The new controls are hit and miss. When I play with them in friendlies, I actually try not to do the pk fires because I'm afraid I might mess up (when the whole point of doing friendlies with the setup is so you can try to do it with only minor pressure) but I stop caring about that when I c-stick someone's face. I've only been trying it for a couple days so I cant have a solid opinion. I've been using b-sticking for months so all that muscle memory's not going anywhere. There's no harm in trying to ride this out until I can make a final decision. Logically though, this is the most ideal control scheme for any Lucas player.
I couldn't agree with you more on this control scheme being the most practical/ideal. I was just saying in the general discussion thread that it should have it's own name. And so my question to you is... If we come up with a new name for this control scheme, what would you suggest?

Galeon

Smash Ace
Are there characters that you dont have trouble beating that most would say is a "bad" matchup for Lucas?

Are there any matchup ratios you think should be changed?
I'm thinking Falco. I'm thinking that matchup is dead even.

Any ratios I'd change'd only be by like 5 points or so, so it wouldn't really be worth it. I think they serve the purpose of giving us an estimate of how we should do vs Char A or B. None of em seem too far off to the point where I'd ask for a change, or at least not yet.

What character would you use if Lucas weren't in Brawl?
I'd probably be a Mario/DDD player. I mained Mario in melee and he was the easiest char for me to play when Brawl came out. If I hadnt already told a friend I'd be maining Lucas before the game came out, I'd be repping Mario. It's funny. I said I'd play Lucas kinda randomly. When we were gonna go on break in college (winter break, spring break, something, iunno), Danny, who was like our best melee player, was thinking he didnt wanna play Brawl. So I said he better play Brawl and I'd be playing *think think* Lucas. It was pretty random since that was just the first Brawl name that popped into my head and I kinda felt obligated to keep up with it. It helped that Lucas was amazing in ffa's so I thought he was too good and stayed with my choice.

I couldn't agree with you more on this control scheme being the most practical/ideal. I was just saying in the general discussion thread that it should have it's own name. And so my question to you is... If we come up with a new name for this control scheme, what would you suggest?
Z Special'ing... not creative. I dont think it really needs a name. My TL friend a while back changed his Z to special. I forgot the reason why; I remember that it was stupid. Seemed pretty normal back then so Iunno if it's special enough to require a name. We're just using a game mechanic in our char's favor. If anything, the action of sliding from the c-sticking to the button configured to special to get the directional b input should have a name. However, I have nooo idea what we'd call that.

Strawhat64

Smash Ace
Interesting interview and the likes, C! I do have a few question my self?

"How did you feel when Gigs was shut down?"

"What was your favorite match to watch?"

"What would you do if you win Winter Fest?"

"Do you do money matches?"

"whom would you team with now since your team mate ditch ya?"

"What's your occupation? (I think I missed it @_@)"

"Who is the most funiest smasher in FL?"

time for straw hat random question...ready D:?

"Would you like to example Straw Hat's famous Denny like breakfast?...or just the pancakes?"

Video of me cooking under "Blogs"

http://www.youtube.com/user/jamesokonomi

And that it for now...I think ;p.

Galeon

Smash Ace
"How did you feel when Gigs was shut down?"

"What was your favorite match to watch?"

"What would you do if you win Winter Fest?"

"Do you do money matches?"

"whom would you team with now since your team mate ditch ya?"

"What's your occupation? (I think I missed it @_@)"

"Who is the most funiest smasher in FL?"

time for straw hat random question...ready D:?

"Would you like to example Straw Hat's famous Denny like breakfast?...or just the pancakes?"
To tell the truth, I didnt care that Gigs was shutting down. I didn't go that often, the memories weren't that great and I think it's primary purpose was just to see me overheated against the wall as I waited for my match to finally be called. My favorite match to watch at Gigs? Iunno, I like watching Hrnut and GDX play the most probably. They have really good teamwork.

If I won Winterfest, I dont think anyone would hear the end of it. I'd spend like all that cash on like a 3-week celebration party.

Historically, I don't do mm's but I started doing em recently.

I team with ESAM now, defaulting as Snake since Pika/Lucas is.. eh. I work at Publix. Funniest smasher in Fl is probably Afro with Hbox or Danny pretty close behind.

And yea, I'd try the breakfast, omelets included, I'm guessing.

Cloudstealth

Smash Journeyman
So you mentioned Marths with bad DI, I can only assume that's me, or have you played other Marths who like to die at 60%?

Also you said you would not be teaming with Nick Riddle anymore, is that out of principle or do you really think you'll find a better teammate and he's not worth it anymore?

How do you feel knowing that your new teammate Esam beat his brother last ZP?

Counterpicking stages, do you CP for your Lucas, or do you CP with the option of having a D3/Snake who can easily play there?

When you win Winterfest am I invited to this 3 week party?

What do you think of the Marth/Lucas Matchup, because you do well enough against me, or is that just because you know me so well?

Do you still think straws should be put in BK bags when eating inside the restaurant?

How come you've never entered any low tier tournaments?

How come we need more than one bottle of Cheese Whiz?

Brian: Who was your first girlfriend?

Galeon

Smash Ace
So you mentioned Marths with bad DI, I can only assume that's me, or have you played other Marths who like to die at 60%?

Also you said you would not be teaming with Nick Riddle anymore, is that out of principle or do you really think you'll find a better teammate and he's not worth it anymore?

How do you feel knowing that your new teammate Esam beat his brother last ZP?

Counterpicking stages, do you CP for your Lucas, or do you CP with the option of having a D3/Snake who can easily play there?

When you win Winterfest am I invited to this 3 week party?

What do you think of the Marth/Lucas Matchup, because you do well enough against me, or is that just because you know me so well?

Do you still think straws should be put in BK bags when eating inside the restaurant?

How come you've never entered any low tier tournaments?

How come we need more than one bottle of Cheese Whiz?

Brian: Who was your first girlfriend?
LOL, yea, it was you. You should be happy. You inspired my Lucas in death. As for the NickRiddle situation, I've said before that I think ZSS is Lucas's best partner. The reason I'll never team with him again is definitely out of principle. We'd been partners for a long while and the way he ended it was preeeetty shady.

As for counterpicking, it depends on the person. If I'm going against a DK, for example, I'm going to take him to FD and see what he does. If he stays, I'd change to DDD and see how HE likes to get infinite cg'ed. Same logic against Snake. If I'm going against a char that I feel I have a lot of practice against and understand the matchup, it's probably gonna be Lucas on Brinstar or Battlefield.

And oh my, yes. The winterfest party will be a long celebration that engulfs the nation, long golden rope snakes being given out like Mardi Gras beads. A statue will be built in my honor that depicts Lucas choking out Snake with his bare hands.

I can't lie. I very much enjoyed hearing that ESAM beat NickRiddle.. twice. Brought me alot of joy and I was really proud of ESAM.

I think I know the Marth/Lucas matchup like the back of my hand. The fact that I know you so well helps alot but you're also the best Marth in Fl and can adjust so I'd like to think that I'm pretty good at the MU. I think that the matchup is like 60-40 in Marth's favor if he plays as gay as possible. It can go to Lucas's favor if he has a lead on a good stage but if Marth has a lead, it can go really bad pretty fast.

****ing yes, straws should always be provided. It's ****ing ******** that they dont put the straw in your bag when you get the food inside. They know you're going to drink that soda. It's not like the fact that you're ordering inside automatically cancels out your desire for liquids. If they dont wanna give me a straw when I go inside, they need to make an indoor lid that makes the soda not need a straw.

I've wanted to enter the low tier tournies. There've been like, what? 3 in Fl recently? Everytime there's gonna be a low tier tourney at a tourney I go to, they save it for last. And my ride (Justin) neeeever wants to stay for em. So then I get home, get on aim the next day and start getting flooded by angry people making Yoshi johns. As for the cheeze wiz, ugh.. I'd assume they'd try to make it so that just one bottle of cheese wiz wouldn't be able to cover your ENTIRE body. There was probably even a meeting for it. And as for the gf, hmm.. I dont think I'd call any of the girls I've gone out with a girlfriend so I'll leave that N/A.

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
****. Sucks to be out of the US. I don't get any of the fun :/ If rope snakes were being given out I'd never have to use stairs again.

How do you secondary D3 if Lucas' and D3's playing styles are so different? One's slow, one's fast. One's heavy, one's light. One can run in for grabs, the other camps as much as he can... Do you occasionally make mistakes on D3 that are somehow related to maining Lucas?

ChaosTheoryX

Smash Lord
How do you secondary D3 if Lucas' and D3's playing styles are so different? One's slow, one's fast. One's heavy, one's light medium.....=]. One can run in for grabs, the other camps as much as he can... Do you occasionally make mistakes on D3 that are somehow related to maining Lucas?
10 mediums

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
comparatively light

i.e. lucas is like a feather compared to how much flab that darn chaingrabbing fatty is hiding under his costume

not as in the absolute definition of weight

Galeon

Smash Ace
How do you secondary D3 if Lucas' and D3's playing styles are so different? One's slow, one's fast. One's heavy, one's light. One can run in for grabs, the other camps as much as he can... Do you occasionally make mistakes on D3 that are somehow related to maining Lucas?
I think I'm closer to 2nd'ing Snake than DDD. The only thing I can think of that rubs off from playing as Lucas is that I never do the right momentum cancel when playing as DDD. I have a completely different mindset when I play other chars.

who should be next? PF?
Yea, next person to be interviewed should be PF~ or APC. Depends on whichever one has more time this week.

Renegade TX2000

Smash Ace
LOL lucas mains... Snake vs Lucas. TyR can tell you all about that match! =D mines/c'4's/grenades/ and seeking missle ftw!!! snake doesn't need ftilt!

Strawhat64

Smash Ace
I am not sure if you told me this before, but do you play lucas against a snake on tourneys?
I quit going lucas against that match up...is so horrible that I had to sent my fat friend Wario to do the work. but if you do, give me a few tips here and there. if ya please.

Galeon

Smash Ace
Why do you play Lucas?

How did you feel when you won your first tournament?

Which character do you think is your best?

What's your favorite pasttime outside of smash/videogames?

prOAPC

Smash Lord
RocketPSIence, could you please change the title for only APC?

I am not sure if you told me this before, but do you play lucas against a snake on tourneys?
I quit going lucas against that match up...is so horrible that I had to sent my fat friend Wario to do the work. but if you do, give me a few tips here and there. if ya please.
that's for Galeon or for me?
Anyways, i'll answer it.
I hate Snake, i'd say his my second worst matchup, that's why i have a secondary: DDD. I think that in this MU Lucas has to play a pressure game, with lots of jabs, ftilts and pk fire. Control the stage, don't let Snake outcamp you and watch out for nades and C4 (it sound easier than it is)

Why do you play Lucas?

How did you feel when you won your first tournament?

Which character do you think is your best?

What's your favorite past time outside of smash/videogames?
I can't stand fast characters, MK is too fast to me, i like those characters with average speed, like Lucas. Also, his PK Fire, i think i'm good with spammeable projectiles and, for me, Lucas is the most similar character to Melee Samus, my Melee main.

When i won my first tourney, it felt incredible. It was with like 100 people, FFA, items and all those nooby rules. I won a Wii (which i sold later), and everybody cheering, congratulating, taking pictures (lol) makes me felt like a famous person. I had won some other videogames tournaments before that, but none of them were as big, so it was really important to me.

Definitely Lucas. I have tried a lot of characters before, trained those characters to have them as good as my main, but i just can't. Why? Because with Lucas i have something i can't have with other character, with him i am versatile. With Lucas i can improvise any time. If my opponent have i new strategy that i have never seen before, it is hard for my secondaries to handle it, but just give my one stock with Lucas, and i'm sure i'll find something that makes that strategy useless. I know almost every trick he has so it's easier

Your from Europe right?
^He's from Colombia (South America).

Are you coming to America for Pound 4?
I was born in Cartagena, Colombia, lived 4 years in Bogota (the capital city) studying electronic engineering and now i'm back in Cartagena.

That's the idea. Right now i have the money for my plane tickets, haven't boought them because i don't know if i can get all the money for everything i need (food, transportation, etc.) I'd travel to New York City and stay in a friend's home, who is searching for the best prices to travel from NY to Frederick by bus (round trip).
I HAVE TO travel to the US, because i have my Visa for 4 years and haven't used it, and if i don't use it next year, i won't be able to travel to the US again in my live.
I'd be there for like 10 days, most of them in NY, like a tourist. In Frederick only on Sunday and Monday. Maybe one of you guys will receive a pm asking for housing/hotel and/or pay pal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom