• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mach Rider For SSB4 Thread!

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I thought that nintendo wasn't allowed to use real bullets since they don't want an age rating for the game higher than need be.
BTW, SSBF, am I allowed to be added to the mach bike supporter list, IDK how they work.
They are allowed but Sakurai decided to not include firearms in SSBB.

SSB4 is a entirely different ball game.

:phone:

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
I think Mach Rider could be playable on or off his bike, either way he would still be a cool addition.

Add me to the supporter list.

D

Deleted member

So, Mach Rider's a girl? Well, at least "she" hasn't fallen into the female gender argument that plagues other female contenders.

@Oasis_S: Awesome, Mach Rider's #1 supporter is here (guess you could call me #2)!

Regarding that move, do you think it could work as a recovery move for Mach Rider? And if so, how long do you think the recovery move's range should be?

I was thinking of a recovery move similar to this, but without damaging the opponent to keep him balanced.

@jigglover: How you get in is simple, say that you want him in.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
If it were me, I would apply "exploding and reforming" throughout the entire moveset.

WHICH WOULD INCLUDE THE UP SPECIAL.

Still weird how no one is as Surprised at the possibility of Mach Rider being a woman as I am. Or that perhaps there is a second rider.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The second rider thing would be interesting considering the fact that it is post-apocalyptic and Mach Rider was (I think) the only survivor. Plot twist!

But I can't find any confirmation on the "Bonus Rider..."

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Now, what would the supporters rather have: Red and Blue original Mach Rider, or the Melee redesign? Which one do you guys find more appealing (or appalling)?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Supposing Sakurai himself redesigned Mach Rider in Melee, it would be pretty likely he would use that design for Mach Rider. It fits more with the overall atmosphere that Mach Rider would add to the game. It would also be more visually appealing during explosion and reformation sequences. The added elements to the design could fly around, y'know. Be more noticeable.

Though I wish he would extend the red line on back of the helmet to the front. Not sure why, but in my mind that makes Mach Rider more identifiable.

See that? Red line.

I would expect a sort of "classic" palette swap though. Maybe even alt costume.

D

Deleted member

Supposing Sakurai himself redesigned Mach Rider in Melee, it would be pretty likely he would use that design for Mach Rider. It fits more with the overall atmosphere that Mach Rider would add to the game. It would also be more visually appealing during explosion and reformation sequences. The added elements to the design could fly around, y'know. Be more noticeable.

Though I wish he would extend the red line on back of the helmet to the front. Not sure why, but in my mind that makes Mach Rider more identifiable.

See that? Red line.

I agree. Melee redesign with classic palette swap.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well, only the Mach Bike had a machine gun. Mach Rider himself has some sort of pistol.

Also, to go along with other badass bikers (namely, Ghost Rider and Nightwatcher), Mach should have a chain :troll:. To make it more future-y, a chain covered in energy. :awesome:

I like this idea, to be honest.

I also like the idea of Mach Rider using the bike like Wario (while Wario should use Warioland movesets)

As for movesets, he could always go the field hazard route.

He could leave puddles of oil, set them on fire, throw oil drums.

Anyway, love Mach Rider. I'm glad people are starting to consider more retro characters that don't necesarily fit in a limited ammount of "retro slots". It's not like retro characters should be branded under a single banner.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Mach Rider should be in for many reasons. He's the character in need of a revival the most out of pretty much every idea of a retro rep on this forum since he hasn't even cameo'd at all and has literally been in one game his whole life. While characters like muddy mole, also good retro reps, have had only one game too, and haven't cameo'd, they can't do much and would not contribute to the balance of the game (with the digging and all, so it fails on the fourth criteria.)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Mach Rider should be in for many reasons. He's the character in need of a revival the most out of pretty much every idea of a retro rep on this forum since he hasn't even cameo'd at all and has literally been in one game his whole life. While characters like muddy mole, also good retro reps, have had only one game too, and haven't cameo'd, they can't do much and would not contribute to the balance of the game (with the digging and all, so it fails on the fourth criteria.)
Except that he doesn't fail the 4th criteria? It can still be made workable without being unbalanced.

On topic, I, too, think a classic and remodeled costume for Mach Rider would be the best solution: It keeps the retro gamers happy, and the fans of the new design happy.

D

Deleted member

If it were me, I would apply "exploding and reforming" throughout the entire moveset.

WHICH WOULD INCLUDE THE UP SPECIAL.

Still weird how no one is as Surprised at the possibility of Mach Rider being a woman as I am. Or that perhaps there is a second rider.
Two riders would be the answer, especially when you take into account Sakurai's trophy description:
After the destruction of his home town, Mach Rider jumped onto his machine-gun-equipped combat motorcycle and set off in search of a new home, destroying all the Quadrunners who got in his way. His motorcycle had four gears and endless ammunition. When hit, Mach Rider would break into fragments and then rejoin together.

See that? Red line.

I prefer he would get in with his classic model, though I am fine with the redesign.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm sure it's possible to have a character permanently on a bike in a fighting game.

I swear I've seen a fight scene on a bike in an action movie

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
Something that would be cool for Mach Rider is, if one if his moves was his bike, it could work kinda like Wario's Bike, or something like that.

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQq9q6JVOIE&feature=relmfu

^^^ Victory Music Found. :)

Having no preference about Mach Rider, I actually now very much support his inclusion.

Someone in the "Icon Database" thread requested a Mach Rider logo, suggesting his helmet as the icon.

I wanted to know what you guys thought before I brought it into that thread!

I made a classic version, that's faithful to the sprite of his helmet, and I also did my own personal take on the sprite, and modern-ized it. Is there one that you guys like over the other? Should I include both?

Classic / Modern Version:

D

Deleted member

I personally think his icon should be the two half wings on the sides of the title close together, like this:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
When I first thought about this character, I'm not gonna lie, my opinion was MEH at best

But I was just thinking. It would be really damn cool if he were on his bike the whole time. Like, his whole moveset revolved around him being on his bike. Now I suddenly like the idea of this guy appearing.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
When I first thought about this character, I'm not gonna lie, my opinion was MEH at best

But I was just thinking. It would be really damn cool if he were on his bike the whole time. Like, his whole moveset revolved around him being on his bike. Now I suddenly like the idea of this guy appearing.

Hey I like your idea! It would be the first heavy+fast character in the roster.

His drawbacks would probably have to be in the form of mediocre recovery.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945

30 minutes of free time. I'm sorry, I had to do it.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I personally think his icon should be the two half wings on the sides of the title close together, like this:
I also had this idea when I first saw the half wings next to the Mach Rider logo. The head logo that someone showed earlier could be used for stocks.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Hey I like your idea! It would be the first heavy+fast character in the roster.

His drawbacks would probably have to be in the form of mediocre recovery.
He wouldn't necessarily be fast.

The way I see it, he would have to gain momentum on his bike to have any real speed. And his maneuverability while fighting would be pretty slow

However, I think they could do something great with it

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
I agree with keeping him on his bike, compared to Falcon's car, a bike is easier to handle.

I really don't think it will be that difficult to program if developers really think about it.

D

Deleted member

Sakurai will not have Mach Rider always on the Mach Bike if he's included.

He'd see Mach Rider having the same "problem" that the Excitebiker had in Melee and why Sakurai denied him; he'd "have to give stages ramps".

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
It would be pretty epic to see him perform bike stunts as aerials. His jumping could use the bike's "turbo" to launch in the air.

I really wish Sakurai would think a bit harder about movesets for characters.:ohwell:

It's not difficult to be creative without making it impossible or "unrealistic."

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
It would be pretty epic to see him perform bike stunts as aerials. His jumping could use the bike's "turbo" to launch in the air.

I really wish Sakurai would think a bit harder about movesets for characters.:ohwell:

It's not difficult to be creative without making it impossible or "unrealistic."

Sometimes I just have to wonder, why he couldn't think up of moves for Urban Champion, for example, but did however come up with moves for ICE CLIMBERS.

Imo, coming from an Urban setting gives you a LOT more to play with.

And this isn't particularly to give more support to Urban Champion, but there were a lot of noticeable elements that could've been used for his moveset... Like the flower pot, the confetti, the manhole, a Police Car counterattack!

So I too raise an eyebrow to the type of characters which he can't give a moveset to, and another eyebrow at those whom he CAN come up with.

D

Deleted member

Updated the OP with more supporters.

Mach Rider is far overdue for a fan-made move set. Perhaps I can enter Make Your Move 13 and try to make a Mach Rider move set?

@shinhed-echi: The more I think about it, the more I wouldn't mind the idea of more retro characters in Smash. Mach Rider can make a fantastic addition if done great and just about any retro can be made interesting.

Regarding Mach Rider being on his bike all the time, while I am all for Mach Rider using his bike during the game as a part of his move set or even a Final Smash, the thought of him being only on the bike doesn't appeal to me. Having a mix of both on-foot and bike action allows for the most variety of move sets and Sakurai is not going to have a bike-only Mach Rider.

@Onyx Oblivion: Logo is okay, but I think that victory music has real potential to be awesome. Perhaps drag it out a little, add some rock music to it, and put as much energy into it as possible. Because quite frankly, the original kinda hurt your ears.

D

Deleted member

I don't think the Urban Champion's "doesn't put out too much" reasoning means that he couldn't be given a moveset. I think it means that he didn't have enough to make him interesting, which is what Sakurai was looking for.
I mean, compare the blandness that is a street brawler to that of a tag-team of mallet toting mountain climbers.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Sorry for the bump, but that image with that female character?

IT IS REAL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5eLC6mR-NM

3:11, you can see the female start to form before the player skips it.
Mach Rider is female, or female is secondary character? DEBATE.
...Oh my goodness.

Mach Rider was Samus before Samus was cool.

BUT UH, yeah, it has to be a secondary Rider. The original is quite obviously of a masculine build.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
O_0

Here I thought it was a hoax. I feel silly.

But to answer, I think perhaps it was purposely left ambiguous. If I had to guess, I would say that it was a different rider, as it is a "Bonus" rider.

D

Deleted member

...Oh my goodness.

Mach Rider was Samus before Samus was cool.

BUT UH, yeah, it has to be a secondary Rider. The original is quite obviously of a masculine build.
Sheik had a very muscular build too, so you can't rule out that possibility. Also, it could just be the suit that makes "her" look like a "him". Jus' sayin'.
Also, continuing through the video, it slowly completes the image as the stages are cleared. Once all 10 are complete, the image is finished and you start over.

The "Bonus Rider" thing I think is the game saying you got an extra life, as I could be mistaken, but that phrase only appears on the image when you get an extra life as shown in the video.

D

Deleted member

But Sheik has Zelda's proportion,while Mach Rider is MUCH more muscular than this thin woman,this looks like a skin-tight suit,IMO.
Only in Brawl does Sheik have Zelda's proportion.
In Melee and OoT, Sheik had a masculine physique.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
[COLLAPSE="Comparing"]
[/COLLAPSE]

I'm sorry,I didn't find pictures of the same size,but when I was on Google,the pictures were pretty much the same size.And the arms are about the same size and the shoulder pads and gloves makes it impossible to see if there is a muscle,so i'll compare how thin it is.Even though Sheik's left arm looks clearly more muscular,his straight right arm doesn't look as muscular(it actually look as slim as Zelda's),and Zelda's arm are straigh,and look as thin as Sheik's right arm.

The legs really differs from a girl,I would give you that if the dress didn't make impossible to compare with Zelda's.

Even if Sheik is actually different and I just don't see it,they have the same shape.

Let's take a look at the riders this time.

[COLLAPSE="Comparing"]
[/COLLAPSE]

Now,the shape and proportion is not the same anywhere,maybe exept the legs.Not only that,but it seems the Bonus Rider is taller,or I'm confused by the pictures being the same size but not centered.

D

Deleted member

They are different distances from the bike, even if you level the images by the bike together, based on the lines on the ground.
The "Bonus Rider" (which is a stupid name, as the "1 Bonus Rider" thing only shows up when you get an extra life as the video I posted show) is closer to the camera.

Top Bottom