• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mach Rider For SSB4 Thread!

D

Deleted member

She is not there to show you got a life, she's there to show you completed the game.
Every level you complete, she slowly appears.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
When I first thought about this character, I'm not gonna lie, my opinion was MEH at best

But I was just thinking. It would be really damn cool if he were on his bike the whole time. Like, his whole moveset revolved around him being on his bike. Now I suddenly like the idea of this guy appearing.
I was against too and had the very same thought! Or even he walked along side his bike and then for running would jump on.

D

Deleted member

I don't see why they wouldn't use Melee's design.
Brawl Ridley takes Melee's Trophy (and Intro) design, which is based off of the artwork for Super Metroid, but colored purple like the original Metroid.

The design in itself has not been used in any Metroid game.

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
I wouldn't mind if his design is recycled from his SSBM Trophy, it really looks like a fitting character in the roster.

Smash is known for giving retro characters complete makeovers though, such as Pit and Ice Climbers. Most likely Mach Rider will get the same treatment.

Tweezer Salad

Smash Apprentice
Smash is known for giving retro characters complete makeovers though, such as Pit and Ice Climbers. Most likely Mach Rider will get the same treatment.
not alot of thought went into Ice climbers appearence design in my opinion. But then again, there was never much to them in the first place, so it would be hard to make them interesting besides the 2 character thing. But Pit got a good fitting makeover.

anyway, yeah Mach Rider is the best NES character to bring back. Melee had Ice climbers, Brawl had Pit, only makes sense to give us Mach Rider. I guess its a duel between him and Baloon fighter. I'd like to have both but if we only get one I'd take Mach Rider way over Ballon fighter. Since there really hasnt been too many new nintendo characters in a while, I think its best they go retro with smash 4.

Also Falcon Vs Mach Rider is a godly match up

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
not alot of thought went into Ice climbers appearence design in my opinion. But then again, there was never much to them in the first place, so it would be hard to make them interesting besides the 2 character thing. But Pit got a good fitting makeover.

anyway, yeah Mach Rider is the best NES character to bring back. Melee had Ice climbers, Brawl had Pit, only makes sense to give us Mach Rider. I guess its a duel between him and Baloon fighter. I'd like to have both but if we only get one I'd take Mach Rider way over Ballon fighter. Since there really hasnt been too many new nintendo characters in a while, I think its best they go retro with smash 4.

Also Falcon Vs Mach Rider is a godly match up
While there might not have gone much thought into their appearance, their abilities were pretty much all original ideas. I personally don't like the idea of Mach Rider at all, it's a bland character and has much more interesting/funny competitors for the "retro spot".

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Mach Rider doesn't have to be bland. I can't picture him bland, just a bad *** biker who kills aliens.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think that Excitebiker is a more popular character if we were to have one, and he was planned for Melee.
He was never "planned", he was considered (presumably briefly) then rejected due to Sakurai believing there would need to be ramps on each stage for him. There's a very good chance Sakurai still has the same mentality. Mach Rider, who BTW was Sakurai's favourite character for Melee, could work very well as a "revived and re-imagined retro" along the same lines as Pit, which Sakurai has hinted this retro would be. In fact, other than Takamaru, I'd say Mach Rider stood the best chance at being the retro included.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
You know, the whole "Sakurai's favorite character in Melee is Mach Rider" thing sounds very off to me. I mean, praising what essentially is a random trophy sounds very unusual in context to a "your favorite character in Melee" type of question.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You know, the whole "Sakurai's favorite character in Melee is Mach Rider" thing sounds very off to me. I mean, praising what essentially is a random trophy sounds very unusual in context to a "your favorite character in Melee" type of question.
Well when he said it, it wasn't like "my favorite character in all of Melee is Mach Rider", it was before Melee came out and he was asked who his favorite character for "Smash 2" would be. So it's not like he just picked a random trophy. He obviously liked Mach Rider enough for him to get a redesign as well, not something common for unplayable characters.

Source: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/PostReturn049.html (it's the last question on the page)

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
He should be able to perform wheelies while on his bike, like Wario but more flashier.

:phone:

D

Deleted member

When I first saw Mach Rider as a trophy in Melee, I had a wish that he will become playable eventually along with Pit.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Mach Rider could be a interesting choice. Though we already have a similar character named Captain Falcon, I think Mach Rider being added wouldn't feel redundant.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If Wario's chopper could be made into a move, I don't see how Mach Rider would be unfitting.

Also, Mach Rider kills aliens?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The only thing that makes me skeptical of his chances is that Sakurai rejected him for Melee.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
The only thing that makes me skeptical of his chances is that Sakurai rejected him for Melee.
That was the Excited Biker.

Unless you mean like, despite Sakurai saying how Mach Rider was his "favorite character for SSB2" yet he still didn't show up.

And while he and Captain Falcon are pretty similar, what with Mach Rider sort of being like a proto-Falcon, they're from completely different worlds with completely different personalities, so I'd think it'd be easy to differentiate the two.

@Diddy: YEP. His world was invaded by QUADRUNNERS, so he blasts them all while he drives from city to city in search of survivors.

D

Deleted member

Mach Rider would likely get a set of Specials that reference actions while on the Mach Bike, making him/her quite different than Captain Falcon, who's Specials are based off of actions in the Blue Falcon. (Unless Mach was added as a last minute clone/semi-clone)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I hope Wario gets his shoulder barge as Side B, and a new Forward Smash. This way Mach Rider would be far more unique. And I'd think Mach Rider could play a lot like Wario on his bike. Being able to tilt and all. But maybe he could also jump on it? Seeing as it looks a lot less heavy than Wario's.

D

Deleted member

When I first saw Mach Rider as a trophy in Melee, I had a wish that he will become playable eventually along with Pit.
I'm thinking that Mach Rider is one of the characters Sakurai has been keeping an eye on ever since pre-Melee. I feel as Mach Rider didn't get into Brawl due to being out prioritized by Pit and R.O.B.

With us about to approach Smash 4, the choice for retros have been pretty much been slimmed down to two character. One of course is Takamaru and I also think that Mach Rider is going to be taken a serious look for a playable character. I think if we were to get a second retro character, it'd be Mach Rider.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Mach Rider would likely get a set of Specials that reference actions while on the Mach Bike, making him/her quite different than Captain Falcon, who's Specials are based off of actions in the Blue Falcon. (Unless Mach was added as a last minute clone/semi-clone)
Speaking of Specials referencing the Mach Bike, one of the most notable gameplay mechanics in Mach Rider is how you CHANGE GEARS. I would really like this to be implemented in Smash in some way. Like maybe changing the speed of a dashing special mid-dash or something. Might have MIX-UP POTENTIAL (which in general is how I view Mach Rider, strangely). ALSO I WANT HIM TO EITHER SHOUT "GEAR CHANGE!" OR just make motorcycle noises while he does it. That would be AMUSING.

I also want him to drop oil slicks...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I might even start wanting Mach Rider more than Takamaru.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
If Captain Falcon is Kamen Rider, I wonder if it would be fair to say Mach Rider would be... Kenshiro? Since they were both based on Mad Max, I think.

Actually, didn't somebody edit a Kenshiro spritesheet to turn him into Mach Rider for some fan Smash game?

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
If Mach Rider looked like this, I'd be pretty okay with him making it in alongside Takamaru.

[COLLAPSE="Redesign"]

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm only at loss to why we have only 3 pages of discussion for this character.

I think he can easily create mass hype for Smash. Even though he isn't as well known.

Also, reading from his wiki page, it seems like F Zero is often considered the spiritual succesor to Mach Rider. Should Mach Rider share some similarities with Falcon you think? I actually have a hard time NOT pcituring him as a Falcon semi-clone on his regular moves as of now. But he's still awesome in my book.

D

Deleted member

Perhaps Mach can inherit Falcon's old Smashes from 64, I guess.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I like Golden's idea to take inspiration from C.Falcon's N64 moveset. Especially dat F Sash would fit. I mean, Melee Falcon is definitely the most awesome Falcon, but I still kinda missed his N64 Forward Smash.

Also, does Mach Rider use that machine gun all the time? Or is it only on his bike? Another question, should his bike be destructable like Wario's?

D

Deleted member

Mach Rider hasn't really been seen in combat off the Mach Bike, though notably she is holding a gun in Vs. Mach Rider before you start the game and holding a knife when you see her outside the biker gear.

EDIT: As for the Mach Bike being a Special, NO.
Final Smash only plz.

Top Bottom