• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

THE Mario Guide (LEDGE TRICKS/PLANKING FINISHED [i think])

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I'd say Mario has a definite better aerial game because his aerial mobility is so much better.

Mario_ 101

Smash Ace
^ not really ocon. its actually equal cuz luigi can get moar SH double aerial strings and he has moar range. and mariofanpm 12 even though some of that is common knowledge thnx i'll post it. but i probably wouldn't even update that section on my own cuz ima lazy XD. anyways gunna update guide during thnxgiving break WOOT

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I know he can get more aerials in one SH, but he can't move that far in the air. So if an opponent is getting to where he starts knocking them pretty far away, he won't be able to chain Uairs like Mario can for a while.

I can see how that may make them equal, but I still say Mario has the advantage.

Mario_ 101

Smash Ace
I know he can get more aerials in one SH, but he can't move that far in the air. So if an opponent is getting to where he starts knocking them pretty far away, he won't be able to chain Uairs like Mario can for a while.

I can see how that may make them equal, but I still say Mario has the advantage.
luigi doesn't rely on up air chains nearly as much as mario, but more like double f air double b air ect.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I was using that as an example, but yes I can see your point. Luigi definately has a strong aerial game, but I think that Mario's is slightly better.

Coroxive

Smash Cadet
Pivot grab: When attempting to grab while dashing, press back to get more grabbing range!
And just exactly how do I do this? Every time I try in training it doesn't work; maybe I'm not doing it right :/

vadgama

Smash Journeyman
This guide was helpful when i kept getting pwned by ike and his stupid jabs. When are u gonna be getting to that sonic piece of the post?

Matt07

Smash Master
I think I'd prefer Final Destination as a counterpick against MK. Mario does amazing on platforms, but I think MK does better, and can combo much better with more platforms then we can on him. It's also harder to spam on Battlefield with all the platforms and on FD we can spam much easier (although it's easy for MK to avoid it, it's still more difficult on FD.) Easier to punish his Tornado, or other moves as well on FD.

Anyways, I wanna hear others opinions.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
My main problem with MK is shuttleloop. BF makes that a bit more difficult to do and alot easier to punish. I'm not saying he can't, but you need every little thing vs this guy.

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
For MK. I like alot of stages.

Rainbow Cruise, since I can KO him fairly early if I get lucky.

Battlefeld, Because it's small. You can control the stage on him via Fireball, fludd, an cape.

Smashville, Just an overall nice stage.

Luigi's Mansion. This is like 'The' stage. Jab locking is so easy and convenient to set up. Alot of people get intimidated when you're on the bottom portion of the stage. Other then that, it's a decent stage.

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
Just because I was bored yesterday, I decided to type up a bunch of move descriptions for Mario.

You can use this in your guide if you want. I know you have some already, but... whatever.

Jab- Left Jab (3%), Right Cross (2%), Toe Kick (4%)
This is Mario’s standard jab attack. It comes out very quickly. Each of the three hits counts as a separate hit, so it helps with move decay. However, if your goal isn’t to freshen up other moves, then it’s usually best not to go through with the entire attack, and instead cancel after the first jab. Jab canceling helps in a lot of things, including Jab locks.

Forward Tilt- Plumber Kick (8%)
A roundhouse kick. Has pretty good range, fairly quick, and great for poking at shields. It can kill, but only at quite high percents, so only resort to it for that purpose if nothing else works. This move can set up kills, too.

Up Tilt- Uppercut (7%)
Mario’s signature juggling move. Quick, tacks on 7%, and juggles most characters at least three times, and really racks up damage on heavies. Also has good range. After juggling with the move, it can still be used to start combos. Once your foes damage gets too high though, it becomes fairly useless (you can kill at very high percents, but there are better options out there).

Down Tilt- Leg Sweep (5%)
This move is quite appropriately recognized as Mario’s best move. You’re highly advised not to use it. The damage and knockback are minimal, the range is meh, and there aren’t too many options out of it, either. Use it very seldom, if ever.

Dash Attack- Slide (9% initially, 7% afterwards)
A high-risk, high-return move. Laggy if it misses, setting you up for easy kills by foes. If it hits though, it can start combos and sometime set up kills. Hit at the beginning and you knock your foe into the air, usually behind Mario. After that you’ll lose knockback and your foe will just fly straight.

Forward Smash- Fire Glove (Up to 25%)
This move is Mario’s most powerful killer, and it’s gotten buffed in Brawl. This move has Mario bending forward releasing a ball of flame. Opponents who touch the fire take more damage and knockback than opponents who hit the hand (this time around, though, the sour spotted attack can still kill). The range on the move is also great. You can aim it, and it gets stronger when aimed up (25% max), weaker when aimed down (22%). It’s a bit slow, though, so you’ll need to set it up first.

Up Smash- Lead Head butt (Up to 19%)
Mario’s Up-Smash has a variety of great assets. It’s fairly fast, starts combos at very low percents, kills at high percents, has deceptive horizontal range, and has a sweetspot on the back of his head. You may find yourself having a hard time killing heavies with this, though.

Down Smash- Breakdance Sweep (Up to 21%)
A double-sided leg sweep(weaker on the back). It has good knockback, can kill at high percents, hits foes behind him(great for roll-happy enemies), comes out very fast, and has great range.

Neutral Air- Plumber’s Boot(10% initially, 5% afterwards)
Mario kicks out in the air. It’s a sex kick. Lacks good knockback and range, though. You won’t be able to kill with it, but it is a good combo move, and can sometimes help with an approach.

Forward Air- Plunger (13% sweet spotted, 10-12% if not)
This move, usually called the Epic Spike, is actually not a guaranteed Spike. If you connect at first, you’ll do more damage and Spike foes, but after that you do less damage and can’t Spike. A powerful attack, but it’s slow. Used in a short hop, it’s got some punishable lag, too.

Back Air- Drop Kick (12%)
Arguably Mario’s best aerial, tied often with the U-air and sometimes D-air. This move is fast, has good range, throws out good damage, and deals nice knockback. It’s a good combo move and also can kill at high percents. A nice spacer that can even perform a semi Wall of Pain. Use it and abuse it.

Up Air- Bicycle Kick (11%)
Mario’s fastest aerial. A great combo move (Mario’s arguable best), it’s quick as lightning, deals out decent damage, and combos into many other moves. Sadly it lacks horizontal range and leaves Mario completely vulnerable from below, though this isn’t often a problem.

Down Air- Mario Tornado (1%,1%,1%,1%,1%,7%)
Mario’s Down-B of Melee, this move is a great aerial. It scores multiple hits and applies great shield pressure. You can use it to approach and combo, plus the last hit has great priority(takes out Meta Knight’s Mach Tornado for starters). It knocks foes into the air. Sadly it really can’t kill…

Grab Pummel- Clutch Head butt (3%)
Once your enemy’s in your clutches try maybe throwing in one or two of these to tack on just a little more damage. It isn’t too fast, but better than nothing.

Forward Throw- Heave-ho (9%)
Just toss the victim out there in front of you. Not that great as a throw or a move in general, but can be decent for comboing and setting up kills.

Back Throw- Airplane Swing (12%)
Mario’s nerfed-from-Melee back throw. Spin ‘em around and toss ‘em back. Good (if somewhat random) knockback. Doesn’t kill too well until pretty high percents, but can get your opponent off the stage, which is where Mario likes them to be.

Up Throw- Mario Launch (8%)
Pretty much just a toss upwards. It’s good for starting combos, but it pretty much overshadowed by the D-Throw. Knocks out more damage, though. At very high percents, you can try to kill with it if you want.

Down Throw- Down the Drain (6%)
It’s weaker than the U-Throw, but superior in combo starting potential. Pretty basic move. You can’t really kill with it, but that’s not your primary focus here anyways.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Not sure if it's known, but at around 40-50% (depending on character weight and fall speed) Mario's F-air is a true combo starter (test out training mode) into Jab, Up-B, D-smash, U-tilt, F-tilt (angle it upwards for best results), and U-smash.

F-air -> *insert above attacks* does over 20%, which is pretty good. F-air -> D-smash does 27% in particular.

Not that I'd rely on this since Mario's F-air is very situational onstage, but if you do ever get off a F-air within that percent range, you can get in a pretty nice combo and take your opponent to the 60-70% range.

vadgama

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if it's known, but at around 40-50% (depending on character weight and fall speed) Mario's F-air is a true combo starter (test out training mode) into Jab, Up-B, D-smash, U-tilt, F-tilt (angle it upwards for best results), and U-smash.

F-air -> *insert above attacks* does over 20%, which is pretty good. F-air -> D-smash does 27% in particular.

Not that I'd rely on this since Mario's F-air is very situational onstage, but if you do ever get off a F-air within that percent range, you can get in a pretty nice combo and take your opponent to the 60-70% range.
F-air is also easily punishable so if you start to use it more offensively watch your timing and spacing.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
I don't know too much about everyone but an explanation of a matchup you didn't put up.

Ness: Mario's advantage. You can't fireball spam cuz he can absorb it. Most of Ness's aerial moves are stronger, but yours are quicker. His smashes can't really kill except for his f-smash, which isn't fast at all. You can easily gimp him when he tries to recover by caping, hitting him, FLUDD (best choice in my opinion), or even purposely get hit by PK thunder cuz he can't do anything after if you are close enough to him. You can also gimp him by pushing him off with FLUDD if he is using PK flash or PK thunder. Some of Ness's aerials are pretty good, like b-air if it sweetspots, his d-air can do something but your u-air comes out quicker. Imo, FLUDD is one of your best weapons against him.

Top Bottom