• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mario Match-up Index (Updated as of 1/14/10)

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Now that I think about it..maybe we do have enough reason to boast a non-exsistant match up. Still, maybe we don't.
Ness is decent, just not very good against Mario. However, to avoid being hypocritical, we can try discussing the match-up again.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
WTF is it with Mario and Ness...

It's like we always argue about the match-up even though we already know it's 100-0 FLUDD.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
I was just looking at the index and I have one question: Why has Mario vs. become 45-55? I remember us saying that it was even.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
if you are around the middle of the tier list down to above the bottom 4 tier, you'll likely have a lot of evens and slight (dis)advantages, with a handful of great matchups (probably falcon/ganondorf/someone else maybe) and poo matchups (mk/dedede/marth/falco/snake being most common).

i've noticed this with mario, pt, and sonic now. basically, matchups rarely matter for you, it's mostly dependent on player skill. with the exceptions of your character's top 3 worst matchups in the top 10 of the cast. imo tier placement is then mainly just dependent on how you do against the best characters in the game.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
I wonder where Hero is, he always talks highly of his match-up experience against Olimar.

pizzapie7

Smash Ace
I always thought we were at the worse even with Olimar. But that's just my opinion.

BEAST_

Smash Rookie
Ok sorry for being noob....but:

So versus DDD/MK/GW/Marth seeing as they are pretty bad matchups...is it worth playing as mario in these matches or should you switch characters?

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Ok sorry for being noob....but:

So versus DDD/MK/GW/Marth seeing as they are pretty bad matchups...is it worth playing as mario in these matches or should you switch characters?
I'd think about a secondary for MK and DDD, but you don't really need one for Marth and G&W.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Marth isn't unwinnable bad. That's for sure.

Mario isn't as solid as Marth may be, but he does have an answer to everything Marth has. Many of Marth's attacks are situational in the sense that they all have a punishable opening to something. If you're close enough, you can B-air out of shield to punish tons of Marth's stuff. Up-B out of shield can break Dancing Blade IIRC. Fireball camping brings Marth closer to you. N-air, FLUDD, and Cape are all very useful in edgeguarding Marth. Juggling Marth is always a good idea too.

And best of all, stutter step F-smash > Marth's F-smash in range. If Marth ever smashes your shield, it's a free F-smash for you. Just turn around and F-smash and it will always hit him.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Marth isn't unwinnable bad. That's for sure.

Mario isn't as solid as Marth may be, but he does have an answer to everything Marth has. Many of Marth's attacks are situational in the sense that they all have a punishable opening to something. If you're close enough, you can B-air out of shield to punish tons of Marth's stuff. Up-B out of shield can break Dancing Blade IIRC. Fireball camping brings Marth closer to you. N-air, FLUDD, and Cape are all very useful in edgeguarding Marth. Juggling Marth is always a good idea too.

And best of all, stutter step F-smash > Marth's F-smash in range. If Marth ever smashes your shield, it's a free F-smash for you. Just turn around and F-smash and it will always hit him.
Highly agreed. You couldn't say any better then this A2 lol. Stutter step fsmash beats out Marth's? I don't remember that.. IIRC, they can stutter step fsmash as well. If they like to Dtilt the crap outta them, make them eat a OOS Upb.

Just looking at this explation, makes me really do agree that mario is a balanced character and has an answer to basically almost every situation out there. That's what make Mario is imo. haha good ****

babybaby 12 (banned)

Smash Rookie
Mario actually has an advantage against Marth. He can punish everything Marth does. He's a better edgeguarder. The one thing that makes Mario so unique is that he doesn't have a single bad matchup.

The Marth matchup is 90-10 in Mario's favor. Don't believe me? Well, my brother beat a guy who used Marth. Mario KILLED him.

Unfortunately, I don't have any vids

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
*Drops bags*

Wow...what happened in the G&W discussion guys? Nobody even mentioned G&W's light weight. He KOs us about the same time we KO him with Usmash.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
More =/= better. G&W also doesn't have any lead-ins for his primary killers; you practically have to run into them. I'm not saying Mario KOs better by any means, but it's not some huge marginal thing like they were making it out to be. Mario kills G&W with Dsmash for God's sake.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Highly agreed. You couldn't say any better then this A2 lol. Stutter step fsmash beats out Marth's? I don't remember that.. IIRC, they can stutter step fsmash as well. If they like to Dtilt the crap outta them, make them eat a OOS Upb.
The problem is that the definition of stutter stepping is skewed, but Mario's is longer since he gets the additional boost from the "C-stick trick"; some describe stutter stepping as canceling your inital dash into a Fsmash, some just say it's just the extra distance from using a Fsmash the opposite direction your character is facing, and some claim it's both. I think the SBR got in a dispute over the official definition, but I don't remember what the final agreement was.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
MY definition is simply doing an Fsmash while your back is turned. Whether it's actually called pivot smash or whatever isn't really relevant; worse names have been made up for Brawl's techs. The point is that it has deceptive range because of that huge step he takes to turn around. If more of the attack were disjointed, it'd be one of the better smashes in the game.

Marth has one. Ness has one. A bunch of other characters have them. There are only about 4 characters that have "stutter steps" that actually make a difference. 2 of those characters are Sonic and Mario. Both of them take a huge step when they start their Fsmash with their back turned.

Geou

Smash Apprentice
Ice Climbers

They grab and I die. I run (and fireball spam), but I can't hide.

Heeeeeelp

Top Bottom