• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mario Video Collection

Omari

Smash Journeyman
@A2Z: More?s4u[COLLAPSE="Questions:"]1. Mario can duck DK's rising b-air, okay I understand that but can he duck falling b-air?

2. Doesn't Mario u-smash beat DK b-air?

3. Why would you want to challenge his airs by going airborne? Mario v heavy characters generally the goal is to get them diagonally above you.

4. Only reason I mentioned high angle fire balls are because they're difficult for DK to clash with. Unless, that's what you want him to do. But then the question(s) becomes, "how can we followup this up & why"?

5/6/7. Can you punish DK tilts on shield? What are the most beneficial punishes? Which one create ambiguous setups? That's what I wanna understand/master. =D I believe I know/can prove but still, I love hearing from others.

8/9/10. You didn't thoroughly explain (I understand, but not fully) why you'd wanna condition him to remain grounded? How does this limit him? What are we setting up?

*Eh, I'm not the type of player who believes in luck or likes to rely on it. I'm straight facts meaning I play by what is proved to work (not what I think works...not even what I think I know works..........just what gets the job done.)

11/12. Would you consider sh rising d-air>dj n-air a frame trap. What does frame trap mean in your own words?

13. Do you do believe sh d-air>dj n-air should be used when enemy is on lower platforms (BF4example)? Our best options (2my knowledge) are sh b-air@apex of jump (jab/tilt/fire ball lock setups), sh d-air (catching landings), u-tilt (racking damage while being least exposed) & u-smash for catching enemy attempting to attack though platforms (beating Link's d-air with u-smash is confirmed).[/COLLAPSE]Thanks

Flameleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valthiel_Malus
-@Easy: Lul x9

If anyone wants to improve their metagame, i recommend to everyone to watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO1wdLa92SM

most of the advanced things that Mario has are done there, so, if you are looking for something advanced, feel free to look at it, maybe you can learn something good that helps your game overall...-

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
@Omari:

DK has to commit heavily on his jumps to actually hit Mario with B-air if you crouch. Yes he technically can hit you with B-air if you're crouching, but the timing required for it is easy to see coming and can be powershielded on reaction assuming he commits to it. Assuming you powershield, you could punish him with D-smash in that situation.

You could beat his B-air with U-smash too, but it's not that practical to try doing that unless it's part of juggling DK. Trying to hit him out of his SH B-airs is more about crouching under them and whiff punishing or powershielding if he tries to SHFF a B-air.

I'm not sure if you're confused by the purpose of fullhop aerials in this matchup. Against most tall characters, you want to poke them with fullhop aerials simply because it's easy to do and hard for them to punish. Fullhopping a fireball at the wrong range can be fairly telegraphed and DK could opt to B-air through that.

As for punishing DK's tilts on shield, obviously you need to know your ranges, but his F-tilt is about -20 on block or so. Not quite laggy enough to F-smash out of shield, but laggy enough that you can usually B-air or tilt him back, and you have plenty of time to get out a fireball as well to get control. D-tilt you can't really punish on block, but when he D-tilts he's also very vulnerable to you approaching with fireballs. The goal against DK is consistency, which can be achieved by either keeping him above you or offstage, so don't get disheartened by making punishes may appear to do low damage. Putting DK in a bad position is the priority, so if punishing him with F-tilt gets him offstage, that's good news for you. You can chip at DK all day as long if you have him in a bad position and landing the KO move should never actually be difficult.

And in the neutral position you want DK to remain grounded because your fireball and Jab game is very good against his ground game, and when he stays grounded, you also have much more freedom to take advantage of fullhop vertical spacing with your aerials. His B-air is not easy to anti-air directly but can be suppressed by crouching which forces him to think twice about throwing it out recklessly.

A frame trap is a gap between moves that is very difficult for the opponent to interrupt or escape safely. SH D-air -> N-air is a decent frame trap if the opponent doesn't have a particularly fast N-air, and I think it's fine to use on DK. Fireball -> Jab/grab/F-tilt is also very good in this matchup.

On low platforms, I practically always SH D-air. It shield pokes like 75% of the time, and a lot of people who try to squirm out of it if they manage to shield the D-air will get hit by double jump U-air.

steep

Smash Lord
Can we talk about DK's jab perhaps? My roommate mains DK and he just started using jab as a mix-up, and I'm having a hard time dealing with it. It successfully blocks fireballs and I've found that it's relatively hard to punish on shield. Plus, the first jab pulls you in and slightly above him which can lead to a good read for his dsmash or just the second jab which then pushes you away and out of range of punishing him. Am I just doing it wrong or…? Thanks in advance for the help!!!

Omari

Smash Journeyman
@Eazy: Great sense of humor. No (video). I'm open to constructive criticism if you have.
*I'm aware of my errors in our set & am focusing on how not to make the same ones while building upon the good tactics.

@Flameleon: It'd be much better if you point out what part(s) in this video you believe to be helpful regarding Mario's meta-game. If anything, I'm asking. May you explain why do did what you did? Questions like, what were you looking for your opponent to do?

@A2Z: I'll edit if need be but I'm at a stand-still currently, thanks.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Can we talk about DK's jab perhaps? My roommate mains DK and he just started using jab as a mix-up, and I'm having a hard time dealing with it. It successfully blocks fireballs and I've found that it's relatively hard to punish on shield. Plus, the first jab pulls you in and slightly above him which can lead to a good read for his dsmash or just the second jab which then pushes you away and out of range of punishing him. Am I just doing it wrong or…? Thanks in advance for the help!!!
I look at your question and I ask this. Why is DK being allowed to Jab? You should practically never be in that range without having a fireball to guarantee you can grab or Jab him before he can retaliate. Angle your fireballs differently and camp more if he's trying to play the clash game and retaliate with fullhop B-airs or F-smash baits when he gets close. Duck accordingly if he starts B-airing.

SKidd

Smash Master
I didn't watch the whole thing, I just felt like saying that =D

That Olimar was pretty garbo IMO
good **** none the less

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Nice match, Skidd.

You could had been more alert/focus on using the cape & fludd tbh.
You could've counter every beam & gyro he was using from long range.
I can tell he's not good in close range kombat.

You had the match won too. @ the end were you was fireball approaching him
you hit him with the second fireball, you miss that d-smash attempt.
He was over 200% as well.

Omari

Smash Journeyman
@SKidd: Critique below (several of these examples happened +than1time)[COLLAPSE="0:15"]Cape (when reacted with) hinders Mario(meaning when you react to most if not all of what your enemy does with cape). Don't assume R.O.B. mains will throw something @ you, best thing you're able to do is read when they love to use w/e move & stay either out of max range or get in.[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="1:27"]Why didn't you wait2read? By you f-smashing you're letting them recover 4free (technically a free punish on you). Even if you don't wanna wait, at least cover their options. It's much more scary when you're not doing something because you're able to do anything rather than attacking when you're not sure how they'll respond. In this MU, Mario can't afford to fight ROB offstage anyway (especially when he's on the ledge). Best thing you can do is throw fire balls, wait, bait & read...ye it sucks.............[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="2:13"]Excellent read (usually I'll ask myself when critiquing, "where did they read this from"? questions similar to that help tremendously) BTW![/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="2:25"]Charge smash after locking enemy because it's guaranteed (force getup is confrimed after 1 lock so there's no need2rush).[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="3:24"]You can't pick up ROB's gyro when it's on slanted terrain & you're above it regardless of what you attempt. It's impossible (I probably shouldn't be telling you this...). 1 of ROB's major gimmicks.[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="Extra:"]*You have one of my old bad habits (cape away when hit). Yes, you want to have an extra option (b-air) but think about the risk/reward 1st at least because you're exposing yourself for free.

Reason why you don't wanna use cape so early? Mario remains static 2nd cape & sink after + capes (negates potential stage spiking against enemies attempting edge-hog Mario). Generally, you want that extra boo from the 1st cape.

Don't be afraid of ROB (any character/player) but at the same time know when you have to respect them which you weren't in this MU like TG stated.[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="Ideal position:"]Ideally, you wanna be diagonally hugging under ROB due to max damage regarding u-air stringing/combo/setup etc. He's not stopping that until you let him so why stop? What's ROB gonna do?
D-air? No!
N-air? No!
Air dodge? We wish (that's what we want since we're versatile with our lingering attacks) f-air? Not if you're diagonally hugging under ROB[/COLLAPSE]Excluding ^, great job bruh!

SKidd

Smash Master
Thanks lots guys, honestly, I feel like I did bad that match, and I've improved lots since then. That ending is painful to watch.

And if you're wondering, it was $1, I took game 1, VERY close, game 2 is the match you just watched, I got ***** game 3, I really, really dropped the ball...

steep

Smash Lord
I'm going to a smash tourney on Sept. 24, and I have some sick MM's coming up. I'll try to get some good vids saved. Whoo :mario2:!!

SKidd

Smash Master
You play really wreckless. I guess that's acceptable on wifi though.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Using boss's tag will lead into "Doom consequences" xD

j/k.....i got nothing to say about ur mario really. *walks away epicly*

@SKidd: my :mario2: always play with a chip on his shoulder with something to prove. :cool:

ThatGuy

Smash Master
For Irios:

Good Mario. Some issues stand out:

1) Aggression. I myself like being aggressive too, as it allows you to push the pace and put your opponent on their heels. Irios however seems to only have 1 gear; at times, he needs to turn it down and think a little before holding the joystick in the opponent's direction. Way too many times was he caught trying to attack the Pit's shield, while the Pit jumped OoS with a (delayed) retreating Fair and nailed him every time. This is a pretty hard read. Sometimes he needs to just take his time and pick his spots accordingly instead of jamming his way through.

2) Smashes. I guess this sort of ties into aggression. When he sees a kill percentage and wants to land a smash attack...that's all he wants to land, haha. At least TRY to mask the fact that you want to land it, because all he did was spam a smash as soon as he appeared within range. This is incredibly easy to defend against with a little vigilance, and Irios will be taking a lot more damage than he needs to with this approach. Hell, if the opponent starts spammng sidesteps then you get countered every time (although it opens the window for charged smash attempts). He would land the kill faster if, once again, he picked his spots accordingly. Throw some fireball approaches to make the opponent move into a position where he can get hit. Use other moves (aerials, tilts, jabs) to disguise that a smash is coming and to unstale your kill moves (moves get staler on shield I believe).

3) Edge game. The Pit player came back every time, the same way, by jumping onto the stage with an airdodge. Again, this is tied to aggression. The reason this worked is because Irios used a smash attack every time when the Pit player was trying to get back on stage, and it was easily detected and avoided. He should pick his spots, and maybe go for grabs or a more conservative edge guarding location.

4) Fireballs. Oftentimes, he fireballs way too close to the opponent to make anything happen out of it (aside from getting hit back). This is again tied to aggression, because his constant moving forward allows no room for proper fireball setups. However, this is more of a spacing fundamental error than anything else. He can make much more happen out of a fireball if he tries chasing them a bit longer. Additionally, he shouldn't use too many in such close range.

I'll look at the other vid after, I have to run. Also, that Pit player is AWESOME! I feel he should be the one winning those matches most of the time...

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Irios got a nice mario....but i didn't see him use tilts or fludd one single time. :/
I do understand that it's a friendly match & all.

Fludd is legit for defense, spacing, edge guarding & FHIL.......just saying.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
@Kudemo:

Your Mario is more balanced than Irios's, I think you just have trouble adjusting to what the Yoshi player is doing; you don't try to read him that much but instead react to what the situation gives you. This Yoshi player (as well as most Yoshis in general) caught you in too many traps. Yoshi is a great counter-punching character with those pivot grabs and egg lays. You have to accept that any time Yoshi has room to run away, you run the (very high) risk of getting grabbed and you shouldn't approach recklessly in this situation. Use more fireballs and try to get him to come to you, or at least have the Yoshi player feel extremely awkward staying grounded, as his shield game is terrible so fireball spamming is very good here. When the Yoshi player was jumping away from you, 90% of the time he B-reversed an egg lay; try to realize he is doing this ingame and either punish it more or get punished by it less. When you trap him in his shield, just stand next to him and do nothing until he does something; his roll, shieldgrab, and sidestep can be punished on reaction, and he can't jump OoS.

Jimmyfosho

Smash Hero
Being sarcastic and pointing out the obvious.
Here's one of my sets from KTAR6 v Eazy.

Omari :mario2: vs Eazy :dk2:

Feel Free to critique/comment & enjoy! Skip to 0:50, C-Stick messed up I'm not sure why (I usually check it at the character select screen).
Hey guys, I didn't even know this match got uploaded until now. This was game 3 of a tournament set two weeks ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLmoeXlFrD4

Criticism appreciated.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxjZf1Vhq4E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKlI9fYaeVw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRfvxhEpiSA&feature=related

^ fresh clips :mario2:'s Two of the three clips were from last season's aib ladder against
the peach & olimar.

Critique if you guys want to.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-_CyM_rhDM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvhPEq1uRQ0

Check out my Mario. I don't really use him often, but I decided to break him out.
Hi guys, i would like to show you Irios' matches recently done :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFUOGPTQ-2Q

And mine :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNMBuRpD0pg

updated the thread with all of these, i skipped over the zeta video because the video description said it was from 2010 so yea.

finally lol

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
i posted the 2011 clip of zeta's mario.....jimmy.

that 2010 was just to show everyone, not to get on the op. lol

- Theelitebrawler -

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theelitebrawler
Good stuff MP8, looks like you've improved much from our previous battles!

Just a few things, like in situations like 2:32 when Ike is going for an aether and you are on the ledge you generally want to go for the ledge-drop nair situation, yours wasn't risky either as you can see because you had invincibility frames while he aether'd his sword above you, and probably would have led to a gimp.

You generally want to have your F.L.U.D.D charged (all the way is good, but I personally prefer 3/4 charged) so you can FHL his aether which is usually but not ALL the times a gimp.

at 0:09 you d throw'd, (from my experience) Ike will generally air dodge for fear of juggling, although sometimes he could Fair you, so may want to keep your shield up in case he does, and you could punish his air dodge with a Up Smash OOS, (or shield grab his aerial unless spaced correctly)

Use a lot of Fireballs to annoy him, don't air dodge out of fear, Ike eats air dodges for breakfast.

Sorry just a few things I thought you might want to take note I guess.

MP8

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the useful info TEB! I'll keep all that in mind. I know I should work on DI and reads especially. I should learn to be more conservative with FLUDD and I need to be more aggressive with edge guarding.

For some stupid reason though, I struggle against Ike on wifi. What do you suggest I do about his jabbing? Everytime I shield it and try to go for a grab or something, I still get hit by the jabbing. What's the best direction to DI in to escape his jabs?

Thanks for the tips in advance though.

Top Bottom