• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

the music thread

Brian

Smash Journeyman

Brian

Smash Journeyman
thats called a weak follow up. im sure the video is cool but as soon as the song started i was out.

yeah that song ***** oscar, i dont think anyone posted it here

Lovage

Smash Hero
is there a new cudi album? i thought i heard about one so i been listening to the one from 09, it's pretty good but no man on the moon :p

Brian

Smash Journeyman
double post to talk about the new kanye
i'm not super into it, but it has some good tracks
i've always felt kanye's albums succeed on their guest spots and too many on this one aren't that good.

for example:
Kanye West - Monster (Ft. Jay-z, Bon Iver, Rick Ross and Nicki Minaj)

Nicki kills it, but Jay-z and Rick Ross have underwhelming spots. And I don't even know what to think about Bon Iver being on this track.

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
chillin here at 5:18AM, regretting that I didn't spend $100 I didnt have back during october to see Gorillaz while they were in LA. its gonna be forever till theyre back out here.

what was the best live show youve been to? who would you recommend seeing preform?

i saw queens of the stone age like a year or two ago. they were pretty good live. mastodon opened for them and that was pretty fun too lol

Brian

Smash Journeyman
Motorhead/Dio (R.I.P.)/Iron Maiden was the best big arena show I've seen
Against Me! are really fun live
I saw Boris and Sleep this year and they both were so ****ing good and loud.
Graf Orlock in a house was a really fun show. The bassist swung his bass into my stomach at some point and the lead singer kicked me in the shins when he was flailing around on the ground. I've never been as sore the next morning after a show. My ears were shot, I had random bruises all over my body. SO punk.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I've been to very few live shows.

The only noteworthy musician I've ever seen in concert was Arthur Lee; I went to a few of the last concerts he had before he died and they were all excellent.

Jun.

Smash Lord
New Girl Talk album is nothing short of amazing. This guy is a genius.

http://illegal-art.net/allday/
whole cd is free because technically he doesn't own any of the music

Genre: Mashup 80s/90s/Top40

I cried a little when I heard the With or Without You mashup on Track 6. Then it went into Lady Gaga...

Brian

Smash Journeyman
still album of the year:
Titus Andronicus - Theme from 'Cheers'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDwltcAo_Bg

Titus Andronicus - The Battle of Hampton Roads
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZYignZ2HfE

Summary of the album and ****:
The lead singer got really depressed, moved from New Jersey to Boston hoping to not be depressed but it didn't help. He ended up back in New Jersey, still feeling ****ty. One of the things that helped him get out of his **** was Ken Burns' "The Civil War", a documentary covering the entirety of the war.

The album is sort of the result of his struggle and features readings of quotes from abolitionists, Abraham Lincoln and Walt Whitman. The music is somewhere halfway between classic rock and punk, with a little bit of alt-country thrown in.

Brian

Smash Journeyman
my take on the new GT:
it's a fine album to listen to, but it progresses so slow it's best as background music. listening to night ripper was an actual experience, because the samples sometime came at you rapidfire and then it would slow back down into a really solid A+B mashup. feed the animals was a little bit slower, but it still had enough different little breaks to keep it interesting. i find myself getting bored of the new GT (what's it even called? I dont feel like checking) about a track or two in.

Jun.

Smash Lord
As a whole its too repetitive. There are individual tracks that shine but listening to the album through it gets quite old halfway through with no real changes. Your eyes will open when you hear a pretty unique mashup of say U2 or Radiohead then you'll just sit back again.

Brian

Smash Journeyman
[I wrote this up for something else, figured I might as well hype one of my favorite albums here.]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8S846Em19Q
The Hold Steady - Stevie Nix

No one writes the view points of the youth quite like The Hold Steady's Craig Finn, and he's never been better than he is on Separation Sunday. The album subtly weaves a complex narrative that includes drug dealers and hoodrats, Catholicism and suspect saviors set to rock & roll that sounds like a harder edged, modern take on "classic rock". It's not an easy album to fully understand (especially since the story is a continuation of their first album Almost Killed Me), but it is still an album that anyone can listen to and enjoy.

I had a hard time picking a track to single out and share, but I decided that Stevie Nix has everything that I love about this band. Craig Finn delivers sharp lines in his trademark sing/talk hybrid. The music swings from style to style, with guitarist Tad Kubler and keyboardist Franz Nicolay getting their chances to deliver amazing solos. As Craig Finn so often does, he references his favorite subjects: religion, drugs, popular musicians/songs and Finn's hometown (the Twin Cities).

She said "You remind me of Rod Stewart when he was young/you got passion and you think that you're sexy and all the punks think that you're dumb"

Top Bottom