• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Myth of the Elitist Competitives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Seriously, who started the rumours and urban legends and why do so many people perpetuate them without ever seeing proof of them?

Who are these elitist competitive players certain people love to complain about and bring up as examples of how the Competitives are putting the Casuals down? And where are they? I haven't seen them post anywhere. MookieRah (who's a mod and therefore has an obligation to sift through all posts) hasn't seen them. And neither anyone else, including the people complaining about them if we are to judge from their responses to me challenging them to bring up examples (either stunned silence or admissions of them never having actually seeing any (this one is rare)).

According to the Myth, there are many Competitives who are Elitist. Some seem to think they're in the majority. Some seem to think they're just many. Some claim they're "few but very loud".

Not even the "very loud" part is true since I haven't seen any of them around on Smashboards, especially not in these parts. I mean, if they're so loud, we should be seeing tons of posts from them.

According to the Myth, the Competitive Elitists hate the Casual Smashers. They put them down simply for being Casual. They view being a Casual as something less than being a Competitive, that Casuals are stupid, that the opinions of Casuals never matter in anything, that all Casuals are trash at the game, etc., etc., etc., etc.

Yet not a single one of my challenges of "Name 5" has been answered. Why is this? Could it be because the myth is, gasp, false. I don't know, maybe some a-hole Competitives are Casual Haters (probably true, there are many Competitives, some of them probably hate Casuals, just like how some of them might be racists, homophobes, chauvanists and/or Republicans, there are idiots among all groups, even MENSA). But they're few and far inbetween. And they don't really post that much, especially not in these parts of the boards.

Note: Stupidity is usually not tolerated. Just because some Competitive Smashers might have flamed some Casuals who've posted some truly stupid things does not mean they're flaming the entire Casual community or hate the Casuals as a whole. There's stupidity everywhere. Just like if I punch a girl tomorrow, it doesn't mean that I hate all women everywhere.

I'm sure there will be people who will challenge my claim of this myth being false. Before you reply, though, take my challenge:
Name 5 Competitive Players (must be verifiable, I mean, Sephiroth Smasher 29449, does that
really sound like a Competitive Smasher to you?) who are Tourneyidiots (do not use the term "f*g" in my presence!) or Elitists.

I mean, if there are so many of them, then you should be able to name at least 5, right?

TheMuffinMan0311

Smash Apprentice
Uhh, Mookierah made a thread just a few days ago to the effect of "it's our duty as Smashboards to PWN ALL TEH NOOBS AT GAEMSTOP TOURNAMENTS" with "OUR MINDGAMES, THEM SCRUBS AINT GOT MINDGAMES, SO MINDGAME IT UP WITH YOUR MINDGAMES, AND THEN THEY'LL CRY"

And the fact that people like Dylan_TNGA were the kind of people Smashboards members looked up to and said "OH MAN, LOL WAIT TILL DYLAN FINDZ THIS THREAD ADN HE PWN TEH NOOBS"

And then the "Smashboards Unite" thread, which was "It's our job as Smashboardians to DOMINATE BRAWLS WIFI AND CONQUER THE CASUALS, so, you know, CROUCH TWICE to inflict FEAR INTO THE CASUALS HEARTS", and "Clearly if the person you're playing does not crouch twice, they are not members of SWF and obviously must not be very good at the game, so rest easy and PWN THEM LOLOLOLOL"

-Linko-

Smash Journeyman
I Know one: Bugball (The same one that sucks at speaking english and has done a Sonic combo video against a CPU Bowser)

He's spanish, and if you allow it, I will link you to the spanish casual forums on which he used to troll.

Bane84

Smash Journeyman
Yuna, it seems like this topic has been popping up quite a bit lately, or is it just me?

kr3wman

Smash Master
IMP-POS-SI-BOOOOOOL!

Caps lock is cruise control for cool

But seriously, I don't even know one real Elitist Competitive Smasher.

Gilgamesh

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think this thread is really useful, and that it'll go somewhere very fast!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
"I mean, if there are so many of them, then you should be able to name at least 5, right?"

Under this logic, I could argue that the state of Missouri doesn't have any KKK members because I can't name five off the top of my head...

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Uhh, Mookierah made a thread just a few days ago to the effect of "it's our duty as Smashboards to PWN ALL TEH NOOBS AT GAEMSTOP TOURNAMENTS" with "OUR MINDGAMES, THEM SCRUBS AINT GOT MINDGAMES, SO MINDGAME IT UP WITH YOUR MINDGAMES, AND THEN THEY'LL CRY"
Link or it never happened.

I Know one: Bugball (The same one that sucks at speaking english and has done a Sonic combo video against a CPU Bowser)

He's spanish, and if you allow it, I will link you to the spanish casual forums on which he used to troll.
I said name five. Is this player even a Competitive Smasher? I mean, does he really dedicate a lot of time and effort to play the game competitively and to improve at the game? Or is he just an a-hole with delusions of grandeur?

Also, a prerequisite is that you have to be any good. Anyone can to go a tournament and two, claim to be a Competitive Player (since they've been to tournaments) and then start trolling. And has he ever actually hated on Casuals players just for being casual?

Pi

Smash Hero
The only thing I see is casual's telling competative players that they are playing the game wrong. I never have seen a 'elitist competative' player say to a casual player that they are playing the game wrong.

I see them maybe say that they are better than them at the game, but it's true isn't it? They may not play with items or on some stages, but I can almost promise you that even with those two factors included the competative player would still beat the casual player.

But that's not what we're arguing about is it? It's about who is putting down who? In that case it's casual players putting down competative players.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
"I mean, if there are so many of them, then you should be able to name at least 5, right?"

Under this logic, I could argue that the state of Missouri doesn't have any KKK members because I can't name five off the top of my head...
Then just name 5 instances where you've encountered such behavior (by 5 different people, the same guy being an ******* several times over does not count).

No names needed, I'll even give you that. Dig deep down inside and be honest. Can you come up with 5 instances where 5 Competitive Players have hated on Casuals simply for being Casuals or who've used Casuals as an insult or any of the like?

Also, you do not know the names of any KKK members in Missouri because you've never come into contact with them. If people have actually seen elitist pr*cks around, they should've encountered them (hearsay does not count). So they should be able to name them (especially if they whine about the perceived rampant elitism going on here on Smashboards... if it's that common, then how come no one can name a single elitist?).

-Aether

Smash Journeyman
All of the competative smashers I know that have improved our community have been nice, accepting of new players, and willing to help.

Competative players get upset when casuals mock them, or claim that they play in an unskillful way. I have never heard of a competative player telling casuals to stop their method of playing. The only thing I have heard from a competative player about a casual is the occasion "newbie, noob" comment. Of course, competative players call other competative players noobs...this is basically part of the gaming community as a hole.

I for one have been a victim to casuals, after I beat them. I've been told what I did was "cheap," it was "********" and wasn't real smash.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
It seems to be perpetuated by trolls and what casuals perceive as arrogance.

Also mad WTF at 5150. I can't tell if he's actually an elitist, a top mark troll or just an @ssmonkey.

TheMuffinMan0311

Smash Apprentice
Also, a prerequisite is that you have to be any good.
Their "skills" at the game is irrelevant, no one is saying that everyone in MLG or anyone that attends a Tourney is Elitist, the term "tourneyf*g" doesn't mean "people who go to Tourneys all act this way", it mostly refers to people who simply adopt the Competitive Rules of the game and are completely douchebags about it and take it to the extreme.

Some guy who has never gone to a Tourney in his life, yet still refuses to play with items or play anything other than Final Destination, even when playing with friends (..assuming he has any) and *****es when they beat him with LOW TIIIEEEER characters, that's a tourneyf*g.

Did Dylan in a world championship playing Melee? No, that doesn't change that he was a gigantic douchebag about Competitive Smash and how the SCRUUUUUUBS were dumbing down his DEEEEP game and he would never touch Brawl if it didn't have Wavedashing.

The tourneyf*gs aren't Ken, or Mew2King, or even you. The Tourneyf*gs are that random kid down the street who's never gone to a tourney in his life, but god forbid you're over his house and you want to play on Big Blue with Pichu, or have Pokeballs on, because the second you do he goes into RAAAGE mode and *****es about LOW TIER and SCRUBS PLAY WITH ITEMS, and if he ever loses he'll come up with every excuse in the universe to justify why you were cheating with your RANDOM ELEMENTS BAAAWW and that if the match was on Final Destination with Fox he'd wavedash circles around you.

Kirby M.D.

Smash Journeyman
It seems to be perpetuated by trolls and what casuals perceive as arrogance.

Also mad WTF at 5150. I can't tell if he's actually an elitist, a top mark troll or just an @ssmonkey.
He's all three, and neither one. Also, QFT. Only trolls and ignorant people believe that competitive players are smug elitists. They may appear to be many things, but elitist is most definitely not one of them.

No, that's not what Mookie was going for. That's what he sounded like, and that's what idiots picked up, but that's not what he meant.

And the fact that people like Dylan_TNGA were the kind of people Smashboards members looked up to and said "OH MAN, LOL WAIT TILL DYLAN FINDZ THIS THREAD ADN HE PWN TEH NOOBS"
Don't even f'ing talk about Dylan f'ing TNGA. Only scrubs and trolls looked up to his pasty arse.

And then the "Smashboards Unite" thread, which was "It's our job as Smashboardians to DOMINATE BRAWLS WIFI AND CONQUER THE CASUALS, so, you know, CROUCH TWICE to inflict FEAR INTO THE CASUALS HEARTS", and "Clearly if the person you're playing does not crouch twice, they are not members of SWF and obviously must not be very good at the game, so rest easy and PWN THEM LOLOLOLOL"
Again, some random f*cker spouting stupid sh*t. Either you're bad at picking strawmen, or you have a tendency to turn sh*t into gospel. Either way, your points are bad and you should feel bad for them.

Luz

Smash Apprentice
Calm down. Getting frustrated at a forum is definitely the way to look foolish. No matter what you do, people will keep arguing and making up claims to perpetuate their side of the fight. So who cares if these people are getting frustrated? I don't think it should be important to anyone.

Everyone plays the way they want, and hate those who oppose their views. That's just the way it is. If you're getting upset about some people calling you names or telling you you're wrong, just sit down and chill out.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Applause for Yuna for trying to end the myth of the Elitist Smasher! (Sounds like something sent in to Mythbusters... lol) Here's hoping that it actually helps. *crosses fingers*

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
delusions of grandeur??
I think this is the real problem. A lot of times an experienced player will make statements that he knows to be true, perhaps pertaining to his skill level in relation to that of "casual" players, and the casuals will label him as elitist. The fact is that he's being elitist at all-- it's just that many people apparently find it impossible to distinguish between someone being elitist and someone being realistic.

You've got two options at that point: tell sugar-coated lies or be "elitist".

Arteen

Smash Lord
Everyone plays the way they want, and hate those who oppose their views. That's just the way it is.
Do you really think that everyone hates everyone else who has different views?

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
He came to mind, actually. I recall several instances of him calling people out because they didn't play competitively/in tournaments. There have been a few others but they were quite a while ago, I don't remember the exact circumstances.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Then just name 5 instances where you've encountered such behavior (by 5 different people, the same guy being an ******* several times over does not count).

No names needed, I'll even give you that. Dig deep down inside and be honest. Can you come up with 5 instances where 5 Competitive Players have hated on Casuals simply for being Casuals or who've used Casuals as an insult or any of the like?

Also, you do not know the names of any KKK members in Missouri because you've never come into contact with them. If people have actually seen elitist pr*cks around, they should've encountered them (hearsay does not count). So they should be able to name them (especially if they whine about the perceived rampant elitism going on here on Smashboards... if it's that common, then how come no one can name a single elitist?).
In the second question of logic you bring up, you assume that people will memorize the names of the people that offended them. Really, they could be some no name at a tournament in a rural area, be retardly good, and constantly win local tournaments. You take out of consideration that they could have run into the person only once, not memorize their name, and that, get ready for a full body shock, they might not have an account here or anywhere online(!!!!) or even openly identify themselves online. Case in point: to say that Elitests don't exist anywhere is rather foolhardy.

side note: I really don't care about the competitive scene. The only reason I responded was because of the flaws in logic. Also, if it doesn't exist, why are their people that complain about it? It has to stem from something. As any socialogist can tell, even the ugliest stereotypes have truth rooted in them.

Luz

Smash Apprentice
Do you really think that everyone hates everyone else who has different views?
:p Good point. Hate is too strong a word, but I did say 'oppose their views', not 'different views'. Doesn't matter though, honestly, this all really shouldn't matter.

-Linko-

Smash Journeyman
I said name five. Is this player even a Competitive Smasher? I mean, does he really dedicate a lot of time and effort to play the game competitively and to improve at the game? Or is he just an a-hole with delusions of grandeur?

Also, a prerequisite is that you have to be any good. Anyone can to go a tournament and two, claim to be a Competitive Player (since they've been to tournaments) and then start trolling. And has he ever actually hated on Casuals players just for being casual?
He made one of the best Sonic combo videos out there:

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=kvWcPzbCsDU

So he can be called "Competitive".

Now, trolling quotes:
From this thread: http://zonaforo.meristation.com/foros/viewtopic.php?t=987061&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
In spanish, I will be traslating the most insulting and/or trolling parts for you. (bold ones)

no insulta quien quiere, sino quien puede amigo, y no confundas caer mal, con envidia, calma esos humos que seguro que tranquilo estas mas guapo
, la primera reaccion de alguien que se siente impotente es la negacion, acto seguido de la agresividad, veo que tu ya vas por esta ultima xD

lo dicho, nos vemos las caras en junio al smash brawl, que yo ya estoy practicando en mi casita a este juegazo, claro esta si algun dia os atreveis a dar el paso a jugar mas enserio, seguro que no gallinicas, jeje ale insultad a gusto que no vuelvo a leer este post xD

en fin que haces aqui que no estas jugando aver quien tira ese pokeball antes!!!! vamos que llega el recreo!!! woshh!!!
I can insult you, but you can't insult me because you suck (at Smash Bros.)
If you dare any day to play seriously, I'm sure that won't happen, you coward scrubs. LULZ
What are you doing here, instead of playing "Who throws the pokéball before", scared kids? C'mon, school break has started!!!
Enough proof for you, Yuna??

I've found one. Three to go, if you include the one a few messages over me.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
In the second question of logic you bring up, you assume that people will memorize the names of the people that offended them. Really, they could be some no name at a tournament in a rural area, be retardly good, and constantly win local tournaments. You take out of consideration that they could have run into the person only once, not memorize their name, and that, get ready for a full body shock, they might not have an account here or anywhere online(!!!!) or even openly identify themselves online. Case in point: to say that Elitests don't exist anywhere is rather foolhardy.

side note: I really don't care about the competitive scene. The only reason I responded was because of the flaws in logic. Also, if it doesn't exist, why are their people that complain about it? It has to stem from something. As any socialogist can tell, even the ugliest stereotypes have truth rooted in them.
I think this highlights another problem-- the people being labeled "elitist" aren't really "competitive" or "tourney" Smashers. People outside of the competitive scene have no idea who is actually a part of the competitive scene they are making generalizations about. The fact is that most of this nonsense is just directed at idiots, indeed perhaps with delusions of grandeur or otherwise just lying about his skill level. These people are not in any way representative of the true legit competitive scene-- but people just can't tell the difference.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Whenever I feel like something isn't being discussed enough around here, Yuna breaks new ground!
Oh yeah, we've seen a lot of meaningful discussion about this topic! As opposed to a lot of Casuals just spewing hatred over Competitives.

Their "skills" at the game is irrelevant, no one is saying that everyone in MLG or anyone that attends a Tourney is Elitist, the term "tourneyf*g" doesn't mean "people who go to Tourneys all act this way", it mostly refers to people who simply adopt the Competitive Rules of the game and are completely douchebags about it and take it to the extreme..
Only, that's not the problem at hand.

A lot (and I can truthfully say that because I have personally read a lot of posts on this subject) of Casual players have claimed that the Competitive Community as a whole are Tourneyidiots, put Casuals down, think they're superior, bl.a., bl.a., bl.a.

They always say "Competitive Players" or "The Tournament Community". And it's almost always clear that they think a majority of or at least a great part of the Competitive Community as a whole are Tourneyidiots.

Only trolls and ignorant people believe that competitive players are smug elitists. They may appear to be many things, but elitist is most definitely not one of them.
Excuse me while I laugh. I could dig deeper for more quotes of you, but here's your latest (posted yesterday, I believe)

Seriously though, this thread is pointless. You (as the collective SWF) don't like someone else's views on Brawl's tournament viability. We get it. You imply that casual players are stupid or vice versa. We get it. You are firmly on your elitist, reactionary high horse. Whoopty-doo. You've said the same bloody thing since January 29. Unless OP likes drama and bickering from both sides (which I'm starting to think is the case), there is no reason to beat this dead horse into undeath.
Or is that (and the other posts I've seen you saying similar things in) just some kind of convoluted sarcasm?

He came to mind, actually. I recall several instances of him calling people out because they didn't play competitively/in tournaments. There have been a few others but they were quite a while ago, I don't remember the exact circumstances.
That's one (and apparently Bugball makes 2). 5150 is also a general asshat whom everyone hates. I don't even know if he's any good at Smash. Is he even Competitive or is he just an idiot who claims he knows how to play the game?

In a reply in this thread, I posed a 2nd (lesser) challenge. Name 5 people (whose names you don't have to remember) who've done this.

Who you've personally seen being elitist/anti-Casual and who were Competitive players as well. Search yourself and be honest. Can you remember 5 different people who've been like that?

themutt22

Smash Cadet
The tourney scene has many people. People are different. Some are elitists, some aren't.

Generalizations are difficult, but I would imagine that overall, tourney players are more elitist than normal players in general. They are better after all. Makes more sense than a noob being an elitist, eh?

To say that NO competitives are elitist lacks a logical basis.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think this highlights another problem-- the people being labeled "elitist" aren't really "competitive" or "tourney" Smashers. People outside of the competitive scene have no idea who is actually a part of the competitive scene they are making generalizations about. The fact is that most of this nonsense is just directed at idiots, indeed perhaps with delusions of grandeur or otherwise just lying about his skill level. These people are not in any way representative of the true legit competitive scene-- but people just can't tell the difference.
Define "competitive" and "tourney" smasher. I gave an example regarding someone who attended local or state tournaments but didn't make themselves known online and yet could still be labeled an "elitest."

@ Yuna: You keep talking to me as if I go to tournaments but I don't. I'm merely giving examples of situations where people could "slip under the radar." For example, think about an online Halo 2 or 3 match? Could most people instantly identify 5 people who have mopped the floor with them and then mocked them for it in that situation? It's basically the same premise.

asdfasdfaw

Smash Rookie
Seriously, who started the rumours and urban legends and why do so many people perpetuate them without ever seeing proof of them?
Do you honestly think that a rumor or urban legend can possibly ever be pinned down to one single person? Tell me who first started the stereotype of the incompetent manager, who invented the wheel and who discovered that sugar can go well with coffee, and I'll show you who came up with this rumor.

Who are these elitist competitive players certain people love to complain about and bring up as examples of how the Competitives are putting the Casuals down? And where are they? I haven't seen them post anywhere. MookieRah (who's a mod and therefore has an obligation to sift through all posts) hasn't seen them. And neither anyone else, including the people complaining about them if we are to judge from their responses to me challenging them to bring up examples (either stunned silence or admissions of them never having actually seeing any (this one is rare)).
I've never directly met someone who lives in Somalia... but I'm pretty sure they still exist.

According to the Myth, there are many Competitives who are Elitist. Some seem to think they're in the majority. Some seem to think they're just many. Some claim they're "few but very loud".
Your point being?

Not even the "very loud" part is true since I haven't seen any of them around on Smashboards, especially not in these parts. I mean, if they're so loud, we should be seeing tons of posts from them.
Maybe they're too elitist to post on here.

According to the Myth, the Competitive Elitists hate the Casual Smashers. They put them down simply for being Casual. They view being a Casual as something less than being a Competitive, that Casuals are stupid, that the opinions of Casuals never matter in anything, that all Casuals are trash at the game, etc., etc., etc., etc.
Thanks for telling me what elitists do. What would I do if you weren't here to tell me what's generally common sense?

Yet not a single one of my challenges of "Name 5" has been answered. Why is this? Could it be because the myth is, gasp, false. I don't know, maybe some a-hole Competitives are Casual Haters (probably true, there are many Competitives, some of them probably hate Casuals, just like how some of them might be racists, homophobes, chauvanists and/or Republicans, there are idiots among all groups, even MENSA). But they're few and far inbetween. And they don't really post that much, especially not in these parts of the boards.
Again, while not an analogy I would have used, the Klan reference still holds in my eyes. Just because you haven't seen something doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Note: Stupidity is usually not tolerated. Just because some Competitive Smashers might have flamed some Casuals who've posted some truly stupid things does not mean they're flaming the entire Casual community or hate the Casuals as a whole. There's stupidity everywhere. Just like if I punch a girl tomorrow, it doesn't mean that I hate all women everywhere.
You're right. There is stupidity everywhere. I'm glad you recognized that.

I'm sure there will be people who will challenge my claim of this myth being false. Before you reply, though, take my challenge:
Name 5 Competitive Players (must be verifiable, I mean, Sephiroth Smasher 29449, does that
really sound like a Competitive Smasher to you?) who are Tourneyidiots (do not use the term "f*g" in my presence!) or Elitists.

I mean, if there are so many of them, then you should be able to name at least 5, right?
No, it doesn't.

I hate to say it, but I can think of one elitist. And it's not that hard to see. This entire diatribe is elitist in itself. Your posting history also reflects that. Every time I see a response with your name on it (dude, the liberal usage of the quote tags doesn't help) is always a rebuttal of somebody's post. You have a very "anything other than my opinion is wrong" mentality is inherently elitist. Some people consider some people elitist. So what. And yet again here we are with you going on and on and on about how everyone else is wrong and how you're right. Remember, one man's "elitist competitive" may not be your version of an "elitist competitive."

Learn to accept other people's points of views and stop dismissing any thought and idea other than your own as immediately incorrect. There's also another group of people in the 1930's and 1940's in Europe that hated people who didn't believe in what they did... but I digress.

But really, what the burning question is in my mind is why you are so angry at everyone?

Since this is my first post I expect you to conveniently ignore this post entirely or I'll see everything here quoted and argued with, thus completely missing the point of why I bothered writing this in the first place. But if you can't figure that out on your own, then I'm not sure how much more I have to say about this.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Guys Yuna is right here, don't bother.

Sure there are some smashers who are elitist and insult casuals, but it really isn't that common.

Merfy

Smash Rookie
Again, some random f*cker spouting stupid sh*t. Either you're bad at picking strawmen, or you have a tendency to turn sh*t into gospel. Either way, your points are bad and you should feel bad for them.
So good examples of tourney elitists don't count? Are you saying that we can only use examples that aren't actually around?

Because Dylan was the quintessential Tourneyf*g, and regardless of who listened to him, he still was just that.

You assume all of us 'casual elitists' hate all of you 'pros,' but that's an incredible example of a part-whole fallacy. We hate a select few.

There are people I have met that would not play 1 match out of 5 with items on.
This is a completely casual setting, just having a gamecube in a gamestore. I put up with tournament rules in a casual setting, and I expect that you (you not meaning you personally, but a personified essence of tourneyf*g) would do me the justice of playing just one map with items, or not berating me for my character choice. I understand I am not very good, but I find your methods by no means cheap. I find your trash talking offensive, as I am having fun, but apparently you cannot unless you are actively insulting the losing player.
This person's name was Kyle.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Define "competitive" and "tourney" smasher. I gave an example regarding someone who attended local or state tournaments but didn't make themselves known online and yet could still be labeled an "elitest."

@ Yuna: You keep talking to me as if I go to tournaments but I don't. I'm merely giving examples of situations where people could "slip under the radar." For example, think about an online Halo 2 or 3 match? Could most people instantly identify 5 people who have mopped the floor with them and then mocked them for it in that situation? It's basically the same premise.
Still, a lot of people talk about elitist Competitives as if there are quite many of them.

If there are so many, then at least one person should be able to remember 5 separate elitist competitives (names not needed). Can you remember 5 people? Can anyone else? I mean, there's supposedly so many of them.

And you don't have to go to tournaments to encounter elitist competitives. You can also encounter them here on the boards. So, putting both tournament experience and board experience together, can anyone remember 5 different people (names not required)?

The tourney scene has many people. People are different. Some are elitists, some aren't.

Generalizations are difficult, but I would imagine that overall, tourney players are more elitist than normal players in general. They are better after all. Makes more sense than a noob being an elitist, eh?

To say that NO competitives are elitist lacks a logical basis.
I never said that no competitives are elitists. I'm challenging the notion that many of them are.

Also, what does the word "elitist" mean? How many times have we not seen Casual players state how wrong the Competitives are for not playing with Items, all stages on, "cheap things", etc.?

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
The funny thing is, from what I can see, people have begun to misunderstand the meaning of the word 'Elitist' at least in it's actual termionlogy... but like most things on the internet it's meaning gets twisted into something else when it suits someone. A 'elitist' on the internet seems to be anyone who suggests something different that you don't like. Even suggesting that something someone says is wrong is enough for someone to start throwing words around. More then anything it's an attempt to throw words around to try to cover up the fact that they can't come up with a better response.

The main cause of ignorance tends to be a lack of experience... which alot of people seem to have a distaste before. People are generally stubborn and don't like being wrong. And it effects both sides Even some competitive lately have stated that the newer competitives have lead some inconsistancies with the actual nature of the tournment scene itself. The problem tends to be when a larger group thinks their right they tend to use numbers to support their point. They tend to think if enough people believe something it can be true. Which is what the mouthy non-competitve players seem to believe they can some how make 1+ 1 = 3.

I admit I had my scuffles here with competitives but not really over what a majority do here. Most of the time I tend to disagree with attitude then play style because I've never considered that even something worth aruging about. But I admit before so I didn't know the termionlogy very well so I had a few misunderstanding with the terms and jargon. Does that mean I agree absolutely agree with it? Nah not really, I'm just willing to admit I was incorrect about something and move on. :laugh: Unfortunely it seems alot wouldn't agree with me on that statment.

To answer your question Yuna, no I haven't met 5, but then again I've never viewed elitism as high spread issue anyway. I've met one, it wasn't from this forum, and it wasn't a Smash Brother's player anyway. It was a SF II player :laugh: So that's probably beyond the point anyway.

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
Still, a lot of people talk about elitist Competitives as if there are quite many of them.

If there are so many, then at least one person should be able to remember 5 separate elitist competitives (names not needed). Can you remember 5 people? Can anyone else? I mean, there's supposedly so many of them.

And you don't have to go to tournaments to encounter elitist competitives. You can also encounter them here on the boards. So, putting both tournament experience and board experience together, can anyone remember 5 different people (names not required)?

I never said that no competitives are elitists. I'm challenging the notion that many of them are.

Also, what does the word "elitist" mean? How many times have we not seen Casual players state how wrong the Competitives are for not playing with Items, all stages on, "cheap things", etc.?
I think Yuna just won....

Iwan

Smash Ace
I haven't seen them either Yuna. I think people just disagree with your opinion that brawl isn't as competitive as melee (which is totally cool, its your opinion...you have the right to think what you want). But perhaps you should hold out on your opinion. Competitive melee wasn't made over nite. It took a long time. A long long long time...advanced techs didn't pop up until (at the very earliest) after a ton of competitions were held. Once AT's were found, word started spreading, people started practicing them, and it became common knowledge that Wdshing, l canceling, and so forth were integral to being a successful melee player. But it took a while, and for all we know brawl could be deeper than melee. it could be multiple times deeper. But it's not going to happen over night. it'll take months and maybe longer of competitive play to fully unearth all the layers of competitive brawl. And i think thats what people (although some in a really rude way), have been trying to say.

i think :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom