• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 'New' British thread, the Brawl scene and UK & Ireland Brawl Friends Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

COEY

Smash Lord
I think the most important thing about the ranking system is that once it's in place no one complains about it either. Also Ed after easter at my uni theres gonna be a student brawl tourney just letting you know as im planning on recruiting any players there who actually want to improve and hopefully will bring them to TKI. And this is just theory atm but me and joe are thinking of holding a tourney in Bolton at some point in the near future, but like i said we need to look into it.

J03

Smash Master
dont get your hopes up too high atm, the ents commitee can turn around at any point and say bolton students only. im on the ents commitee and tbh i should be playing a bigger part in it lol. ill look into it and find out the level of organisation and number of players. on the day me and will shall be recruiting people as best we can =).

coey: i need to talk to you about certain things concerning our level of involvement in the brawl commitee

this thread should be a new level of professionalism. no ridiculous spam or stupid comments please, even my post advertising my fest wasnt in the right place here. unless of course your a newcomer then we'll let you off :)...for now xD

Sonic23

Smash Cadet
Oh and sonic, your only 3 hours away and I know a mate in rugby that could potentially give you a lift if you needed it. If not, coach or train wont be too bad :)
Hum, sounds tempting if that person didn't mind and wasn't going needlessly. Anyway train is so flippin expensive, not to mention 4-5 stops to get to Sunderland. I'll have to see cause with a degree show coming up during that time period I could be hard pushed.

I'll add the new friend codes in tonight hopefully I haven't been online lately cause of work and trying to get my hands on Sonic. I don't know who hasn't added me yet.

Kone

Smash Master
Trains are expensive, i wish our system was more like the dutch. Anyway, the guy i know will definetly be coming up here as hes a member of my crew. Will talk to you on msn regarding it. Other than that you could check coaches?! do take longer but cheaper. Also check going into newcastle upon tyne, its nearby and a larger city so may be cheaper.

I agree with the part of joe's regarding professionlism. Ive started to write small articles in relation to smash such as 'travel', 'UK melee history', 'How to be competitive' and 'How to host a Tournament' in regards to giving helpful advice to new players ive gained through four years involved in melee. Will also write other articles. Wont be up for sometime but im aiming to have them done for pal release.

Im also aiming to host a massive tournament next easter. No real need to say this just yet, but its going to be big :) . Planning is already happening for it.

ed

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
Scotland has had its first Brawl tournament.A small turn-out but a highly competitive one nonetheless:

1 Davemans (Peach)
2 Zeppo (Ptrainer,Ike)
3 GEEK (various)
4 Mr P (Mario,Lucario)
5 Reacher (Cpt Olimar)

All the matches were pretty tight except Reacher who got pasted.Finals were ****ing dramatic,the Zard lost 3-1 in last stock games all round.Davemans Peach is ridiculous.

None of the mafia are wanting to play on WiFi cause we want to see what we can come up with on our own and we'd rather not just be piping camping pricks on lagtastic matches.Sorry lads,no johns though.

CraigUK37

Underscore HERO
NNID
CraigUK37
Sorry to stear the topic off in another direction Kone, but has anyone got skype/a microphone and headset and is willing to play some brawl while chatting?

_________
*Edit*
_________

Infact, msn can voice chat too.

Kone

Smash Master
Craig: This thread is for discussion of brawl in relation to the british scene and a reference point for peoples brawl codes. Theres a reason that ive asked for the inclusion of msns and aims. Please contact people that way otherwise this thread will become spammed with people asking for matches, which will dirupt the flow of convo

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
Ed- Prolly not, opinions are pretty varied up here but I really enjoy the game but am not up for a campfest. Even my matches with David in which we didnt camp,lasted 6 minutes apiece. Cant imagine what its gonna be like playing campy Lucarios and Pits. Im picturing fun.

Kone

Smash Master
Get you Z, however man how many stock did you play? and you realise matches lasted that long in early days of melee. I dont think its a campfest :(. Stocks just last longer imo

Tabris - where abouts in yorkshire?

Mr P

Smash Ace
Get you Z, however man how many stock did you play? and you realise matches lasted that long in early days of melee. I dont think its a campfest :(. Stocks just last longer imo

Tabris - where abouts in yorkshire?
Not true, 3 stock matches in melee never lasted 6-7 mins. We played 3 stock its just a camp heavy game.

Kone

Smash Master
At JD alot of matches lasted 6-7 minutes. Granted they were 4 stock but with the fact that it takes around 150 % in brawl ratther than 100% in melee to kill then you can forget the last stock difference. I know my matches with qz, your bro, dsab all lasted that long. I remember you complaing alot at the start of melee regarding camping.

I dont understand why you think this games camp heavy. Stages are to small for that to be the case except fd. Smaller stages and a limiting time limit prevent it ever happening to the degree your already complaining about. To be honest defence actually matters in brawl unlike melee. You just have to be more patient. This does not mean a defensively player has the advantage though. Just approaching is no longer easy.

Mr P

Smash Ace
The reason those matches might have lasted 6 and 7 minutes was because most of those players were just plain old campers, they didn't have any mindgames just camp camp camp. None of us play like that generally we are pretty aggressive players in style and even when we were playing without camping matches were taking forever, maybe the metagame will develop with brawl in a way that games aren't long and boring but right now brawl is incredibly tedious on a competitive level. The game can certainly be fun but i know when it comes to tournies you're coming up against those same old camping players.

VA

Smash Hero
He's right, Brawl is dull if you are trying for a proper game at the moment, hopefully it will evolve, but really there isn't much to it atm.

Kone

Smash Master
Its because the metagame in brawl hasnt evolved to the point where you know how to play your character efficiently nor matchups. Thus, there slower. It happened in melee and it'll happen in brawl. Just look at how fox evolved. You cant expect to be at that level until the games been out for much longer. The EXACT same thing happened with melee. Robby your just lucky that you turned up and were told how to play the game, not actually work it our for yourself. People are plain lazy. If you want to sit their camping then do it, its the easy option. Thats why campers were good in the early days of melee. But when approaching was cracked, where did they go? the 'old campers' as referred by euan quit.

edit - Ive played wes since brawl release. Initially i also felt skeptical like yourselves. Games began to slow down round the two week mark. Now there dramtically evolving. Wes doesnt even own the game. Either a. give it time or b. wait till you play someone of know quality regularly. As without the above id e struggling.

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
can we exchange mario kat codes here?

when its out

Mr P

Smash Ace
Its because the metagame in brawl hasnt evolved to the point where you know how to play your character efficiently nor matchups. Thus, there slower. It happened in melee and it'll happen in brawl. Just look at how fox evolved. You cant expect to be at that level until the games been out for much longer. The EXACT same thing happened with melee. Robby your just lucky that you turned up and were told how to play the game, not actually work it our for yourself. People are plain lazy. If you want to sit their camping then do it, its the easy option. Thats why campers were good in the early days of melee. But when approaching was cracked, where did they go? the 'old campers' as referred by euan quit.

edit - Ive played wes since brawl release. Initially i also felt skeptical like yourselves. Games began to slow down round the two week mark. Now there dramtically evolving. Wes doesnt even own the game. Either a. give it time or b. wait till you play someone of know quality regularly. As without the above id e struggling.
Yeah and all i can really do is hope that the metagame will develop in a positive way like i said in my last post.

like i was saying on the boards before this game even came out there is real concern that Brawl might not even get that far, you're movement and speed are soo limited compared to melee that you have far less options to deal with the many many good projectiles and keep away options that are available in brawl. It's not even soo much a question of being able to beat players who play to camp or not it's the fact that it is a viable tournament strategy and people will do anything to win. Fun doesn't even come into the equation. I dont know about all of you guys but i like playing to win but it's also equally significant to me that i am having fun playing the game, i dont play smash to a level where i can make a lot of money (none of us do) so being able to enjoy the game is a very important aspect of play. and come on "It is just a game" i hate saying that old cliche but it is true.

I'm not willing anymore to put a considerable effort in to move the metagame along, i dont have the time patience or energy to spend my time looking for advanced techniques in a game where Nintendo have quite deliberately removed as much as they possibly could. Brawl was never designed with competitive play in mind and regardless of whether melee was desgined in such a way or not you canot argue that the game is not a masterpiece of gaming ingenuity. So maybe in six months time when i've been proven wrong and Brawl is found to be deeper than Valles Marineris ill pipe along as part of this scene but not when games like this ------http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxgOkRyG3ho
are still incredibly prevailant in Brawl. If this is tournament play then sorry but i am not interested. F u c k Brawl

Kone

Smash Master
I didnt read your post. Just cant be bothered to have this discussion here :). Just end up with a huge spammed thread like last time.

Time will tell ^^

edit - i did and all id say is that I find brawl very fun :) and lol @ that video. Hope youve got the common sense to realise it just wont happen in a tournament. Timit limit on and reducing stages prevents that. There on japes for ****s sake. I couldve done that with loads of chars in melee :/

VA

Smash Hero
Doesn't mang0 just camp until they make a mistake and then rest them? This is what I hear lol.

DevMBC

Smash Ace
i know what you mean euan but i don't think there's anyway to tell

when i was up in newcastle the games were prompt and intense - but the mindgames are elsewhere. I don't know if this is the case for everyone, or maybe just ike (who's broken to ****KKKKKKKKKKK an i love it) but when you've put the pressure on you've gotta get your spacing and positioning DOWN

I don't think i'll be able to really tell if brawl's actually a far superior game for my tastes or if there's not enough to it for me until we all get together an share what we've got out

but hell, i'll **** ANYBODY in the mafia up in less that 1:30 hahahaha (j/k..) .. (but it'll be fast >:D)

EDIT: my real declaration is that you will have fun playing me - i don't prance about like a little *****, my ike means the buziness! an i hope all yall playing this game make sure your characters mean the business too!

At the same time as getting good at this game, let's make sure we don't evolve the uk style to be the steaming pile of horsecrap that permeates a lot of our melee play lol - play for pizazz y'all! Let's make ourselves FUN to play an make other peeps go 'HOT ****, THIS DUDES EITHER A MADMAN OR A GENIUS!!!' (edit: honestly i'm not pointing any fingers or trying to annoy anybody - my point is that in general i've always enjoyed playing peeps from other coutries a lot more - a-la Wesley who turned up with his badass american self an instilled some flair in us, finally imo!)

Mr P

Smash Ace
i know what you mean euan but i don't think there's anyway to tell

when i was up in newcastle the games were prompt and intense - but the mindgames are elsewhere. I don't know if this is the case for everyone, or maybe just ike (who's broken to ****KKKKKKKKKKK an i love it) but when you've put the pressure on you've gotta get your spacing and positioning DOWN

I don't think i'll be able to really tell if brawl's actually a far superior game for my tastes or if there's not enough to it for me until we all get together an share what we've got out

but hell, i'll **** ANYBODY in the mafia up in less that 1:30 hahahaha (j/k..) .. (but it'll be fast >:D)

EDIT: my real declaration is that you will have fun playing me - i don't prance about like a little *****, my ike means the buziness! an i hope all yall playing this game make sure your characters mean the business too!

At the same time as getting good at this game, let's make sure we don't evolve the uk style to be the steaming pile of horsecrap that permeates a lot of our melee play lol - play for pizazz y'all! Let's make ourselves FUN to play an make other peeps go 'HOT ****, THIS DUDES EITHER A MADMAN OR A GENIUS!!!' (edit: honestly i'm not pointing any fingers or trying to annoy anybody - my point is that in general i've always enjoyed playing peeps from other coutries a lot more - a-la Wesley who turned up with his badass american self an instilled some flair in us, finally imo!)
I pretty much agree 100% but there's always going to be some players that just camp their ***** off for the whole match. and style wise in brawl i dont know if its possible to be very flashy not like in melee anyway. lol Ike tbh i think he is a character that will have SERIOUS problems with camping pits etc I know what you mean about the spacing, it's crazy important in this game because of the lack of crouch cancel etc but just f-airing into jab with the occasional upsmash/tilt with ike isnt gonna cut it against spammers unless you are really patient and dont get annoyed lol. Mafia could deal with that ish of yours no probs :laugh::laugh::laugh:

DevMBC

Smash Ace
hahahaha it's on foo!

see the problem with my ike is the only time you feel safe is when you're being hit - i'll collapse all the space around you , i'll turn your analogue stick to jelly biatch !

the storm is coming britain, pitch your tents

I'LL HUFF

AND I'LL PUFF

AND I'LL BLOW YOUR ISH DOWN

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
Whilst I agree that over time new things will develop, I still think this game is heavily suited for defensive play and camping. Nonetheless Im not going to give my O's here, dont think Im going to be changing the earths orbit imo.

Jam-hopefully we can get some games at Mengfest, that'd be pretty mint imo tbh. Zard vs Ike5, brutal stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom