• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Mario Video Thread Achive

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I might use a little Mario, but yeah, I suck. Also, I don't know how to play the MUs in my pool with Mario, so meh (Except GDX, but I think I'll have a better chance on that one with Kirby too.).

Famous

Smash Champion
Kirin's mario is super legit. Good luck at p4 mang. You and boss will be the only ones representing.
I'll be there as well sir...Idk how I'll do but I'll rep Mario the best I can...

So yea, I got Inui and Sanoscy in my pool...ghey, lol

I wish I could ban 3 stages...

Famous

Smash Champion
Pretty good MK in MD/VA...I have 2 other ppl in my pool that I have no clue on what character they play...I heard one of them played Snake...Ah well, I'll be pretty warmed up before poolsfor sure...You can't make too many mistakes against these characters

I went to a C3 tourney about 2-3 weeks ago and played Sano/Junebug in teams... Had no clue what to expect...I didn't enter singles because...you know, I'm always broke

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Hey...you guys are pretty good at this game.
I'm not a good player. I'm an almost amazing player that still sucks.

All I need to do is get the replay hack on my wii, get some good matches up, and then tell Pierce and you guys about them. Once I get a firm idea exactly what I need to work on, THEN I will be an amazing player.

And from there...I'll proceed to unlock "pro status" on my game and **** all of Mario's bad matchups in tournament. And his good ones too of course.

I'm really ****ing close to being a threat. I just know it.

Big-Omar

Smash Journeyman
A2Z you'll get "Pro Status" someday. You're the only guy I know that knows Mario inside-out. You're a walking Mario encyclopedia.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
lol, this lack of playing is affecting me more than I thought it was. I can say without a doubt that Vato, Bo, Kirin, and prolly a whole slew of u guys are better than I am now. Just don't expect it to say that way for long.

Boss embarrassed the hell out of my Mario last time I played him, lmao.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Meh, I know Kirby better than pretty much anyone on these boards except maybe Kewkky I think, but I still suck (And I know Kirby's a rather straightforward character, but there's still a lot of situational-ish stuff most people don't know about.).

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
lol, this lack of playing is affecting me more than I thought it was. I can say without a doubt that Vato, Bo, Kirin, and prolly a whole slew of u guys are better than I am now. Just don't expect it to say that way for long.
Yeah, I don't expect it to stay that way for long. I intend to also be on the list of Marios that are better than Matador. =P

Not that you suck, quite the opposite. I just intend to be MAD BROKEN.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Hasn't it been like over a year since your wii bricked?
Just about, lol. I've improved in some areas oddly enough, but I can tell just from watching myself play that I have a ton of bad habits I need to break and whatnot.

I really just need to play a bit more.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I think your biggest problem is you lack technical control of the character. I noticed things like unwisely applied fullhops/double jumps, very restrained movements in general, over-reliance on D-smash as a gtfo move (not that it's a bad strategy, it's just there are safer options depending on the situation, and you should always try to do a turnaround D-smash if they land behind you), bad choices of punish options out of shield, no fullhop Fireballs or followups from fireballs. You also got mind-gamed into various big hits from Sonic which could have been avoided through better control of Mario's mobility options and simply shielding over spotdodging (Sonic can't kill you if you shieldcamp until like 200% with B/U-throw).

Ugh, besides that I don't know how to give better critique atm. Maybe later I'll go through the entire match and explain what I would have done in various situations where I thought you made pretty glaring mistakes. But really, what I think is most important is that you spend a lot of time practicing movements, learning Mario's physics/ATs, etc. Mario's full potential lies in his speed, which is something I didn't see abused enough definitely.

Calebyte

Smash Lord
Thanks for the critique, A2Z. Appreciate it. :)

Mario's potential is in his speed? I never thought of Mario as a particularly fast character, except for some of his aerials. How would I abuse his speed?

Other stuff makes sense, I'm just kind of sloppy all around and need to tighten up my game.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Mario's potential is in his speed? I never thought of Mario as a particularly fast character, except for some of his aerials. How would I abuse his speed?
To a large extent, it does hinge on your application of Mario's quick aerials as zoning/pressure/bait tools. However you most importantly really lacked coordination for precise movements and proper spacing. Learning the subtleties of Mario's run/air speed, Cape stalling for vertical spacing, abusing platform drop options, that kind of stuff is stuff you need to implement better. If you watch the way Famous and Boss play, many people describe them as "fast" Mario users. They simply know Mario's mobility options and have trained themselves to abuse them in various ways.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Anyone got a Mario Vid For me to learn from?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
lol go to the first page. Actually there is also a video guide to using Mario linked somewhere on one of the sticky threads.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Thanks Dude i owe you one, i dont wanna main mario,
i just wanna see how other people play as him...

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Okay guys, I FINALLY got a replay up.

There will be more, and I will demand critique for those videos as well as this one. This is my best recorded offline performance to date imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b0JbRB-Sak

I happened to discover I had a new camera with me, and it works really well! Yay!

vato_break

Smash Master
GOOD match a2z i only saw a couple mistakes but, they just input mistakes i think. you played the match well

I'll be uploading some matches from WGF

i suck though >___>

Lightning93

Smash Champion
I was wondering if this was also a critique thread? I saw some previous people were given advice, I would greatly appreciate if I could maybe receive some as well?

I found it funny I played the exact same guy as A2Z, but being relatively new to Mario I'm sure he performed better than me. Matchup specific advice is helpful, but if you have any other info for my Mario in general that would really be beneficial, seeing as I prefer Fox for Wario.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaAf8wGu43s

The title may throw you off a bit, but it's a legit match. You'll see why I named it like that. Thanks guys.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The way you play against Max makes me think you know his general playstyle better than I do lol.

Some tips against Wario:

-Save Up-smash until 130% for kills. If you can pull off sliding Up-smashes, those kill at like 115% or something, maybe slightly earlier.
-Use N-air to edgeguard low recoveries (especially if he is about to jump with the bike).
-F-smash is *usually* not very useful against Wario, due to him being a fast aerial character
-Honestly, I don't know how you got away with that many spotdodges. Wario is one of the best characters at punishing spotdodges, and generally speaking, against characters who are good at punishing spotdodges, spotdodging only forces you to be stationary when you could be moving.
-Try F-throw to Fireball more in general. Very useful tactic, and the reason why I believe F-throw is significantly better than B-throw for damage purposes.
-N-air out of shield is invaluable, especially since Wario has rather low range.

Top Bottom