• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Match-Up Chart v2 - Convert to +/-? ;;>_>

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Keep in mind, just because a combo is harder doesn't mean that it is less viable. I mean, obviously, frame perfect combos are not viable, but a fox 0-death combo that is hard to do but still very manageable should be weighted the same as a simpler Falcon 0-death combo that has similar parameters (e.g. situationality, where it can be performed, etc.). Remember, at high level play, that hard Fox combo soon becomes a standard combo. Obviously really hard combos (even at high level play) can be weighted less than easy combos, but if at high level play, the combo is simple, then it should be weighted the same.

A good example is Yoshi's double jump nair combo. Lots of people can't do it, but at high level play, it's standard. So... yeah.

I think I made too big a post for a simple statement lol.

I should probably also pay attention, as I could add stuff as well. Only problem is I don't play on dreamland often (online I almost always play against people who want Hyrule, and offline, although we always go on dreamland, it's not good matchup experience due to the vast skill gap).

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
I don't think fox has an advantage vs falcon on DL. Grab is too good for falcon, results in a death for fox very often. Also, falcon's deadly combos are far easier. I'd say it's 45:55 against fox, for DL obviously.
agree on 45:55 for fox, you also are taking out the factor that he can't laser pressure as easily, and he doesn't have the rapetent which is most of foxes combos on hyrule.

however, he has those platforms so continuing aerial combos and/or using them for aerial combos is alot easier.

same goes for falcon too, which help him even more.

also because of being a mario main, when i'm playing a fox on hyrule, i really don't feel i have an advantage much, but i feel i do not have a disadvantage.

I can easily get the standard combos i get on hyrule (minus the rapetent) and i feel it's somewhat easier to gimp for mario on dreamland, and then you have to add what fox DOESN'T have on DL compared to dreamland.

however, i gotta add that teir factor, and whatnot, so i would say...almost the same as fox as falcon, only given a lesser disadvantage.

so i would say like..45:50.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Also, I get the feeling that Star King has got jigglypuff's back for this chart.
Eh, not really. I'm not even that avid of a Puff player or anything lol, and my opinion of her in the tier list is probably LOWER than average (I think she's worse than Ness). It's just that I think she's underrated in a few match-ups, namely Luigi and Fox. I actually think she's OVERRATED in some match-ups; glancing at the chart, a glaring one to me is Falcon, who has the advantage without a doubt IMO.

Probably gonna be hating on Mario, if you want to know my future posts are going to be like.

Keep in mind, just because a combo is harder doesn't mean that it is less viable. I mean, obviously, frame perfect combos are not viable, but a fox 0-death combo that is hard to do but still very manageable should be weighted the same as a simpler Falcon 0-death combo that has similar parameters (e.g. situationality, where it can be performed, etc.). Remember, at high level play, that hard Fox combo soon becomes a standard combo. Obviously really hard combos (even at high level play) can be weighted less than easy combos, but if at high level play, the combo is simple, then it should be weighted the same.

A good example is Yoshi's double jump nair combo. Lots of people can't do it, but at high level play, it's standard. So... yeah.

I think I made too big a post for a simple statement lol.
I see what you're saying, but everybody makes mistakes. High level players may make less, but they're there, and the simpler combos are going to be messed up less. I agree that difficulty of a combo becomes LESS of a factor as you get higher in level of play, but I think that factor still matters a bit.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
that's cool star, it's just a character.

besides i might have a biased view of mario so looking forward to it imo.

SilentSlayers

Smash Journeyman
Most of his moves are just ridiculous. If only he had faster movements, like air speed, he'd be REALLY REALLY ridiculous.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Kirby is just really good on Dreamland, people are like 'Dreamland? That's good for Pika/Falcon and awful for Ness/Link'...and they forget Dreamland is Kirby's stomping ground.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
I don't think it is either.

I just feel that's the general vibe from the last matchup thread and stuff

those platforms are amazing for him

Peek~

Smash Lord
My general hatred of this matchup says 85-15 vs Ness

For this thread though its 70, it might be 65 since both have grab + edgeguard but in every other area Fox just beats Ness

Olikus

Smash Champion
Luigi can combo very good on the plattforms, has a solid recovery, good grab and can edguard fox easy with his downsmash. I'd say 60-40/65-35 in foxs favor.

Link and samus pretty much gets ***** by fox. 70-30 for fox vs both of them.

mario, yoshi and DK are all pretty even with fox on DL. Would guess something like 50/50 or 55-45 in foxs favor.

DMoogle

A$
My general hatred of this matchup says 85-15 vs Ness

For this thread though its 70, it might be 65 since both have grab + edgeguard but in every other area Fox just beats Ness
Hmmm, I think I would go 65:35 at maximum, maybe even 60:40. Fox destroys Ness' approach on level playing grounds (I would expect Final Destination to be a nightmare, although I don't recall having tried it yet in this matchup), but the platforms on DL give Ness many viable approach options. I would say DL is a way better place for Ness in this matchup than Hyrule.

As far as edgeguarding goes, they're pretty equal on this stage. If either gets the other off the stage, then they should be dead.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Luigi can combo very good on the plattforms, has a solid recovery, good grab and can edguard fox easy with his downsmash. I'd say 60-40/65-35 in foxs favor.

mario, yoshi and DK are all pretty even with fox on DL. Would guess something like 50/50 or 55-45 in foxs favor.
DK advantage
Mario double advantage
Yoshi probably slight disadvantage

Samus also isn't as bad vs Fox on DL

Olikus

Smash Champion
You think mario is dobbel advantage? hmmm, I dont play that MU much, but I allways felt foxs moves works so great vs mario. Fox can still pressure mario good on DL. So the biggest boost I see for mario on that stage is his great recovery. Not sure if its enough for dobbel though.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I feel like Mario is worse for Fox than Pika on DL. Pika is way easier to combo/kill than Mario, and both gimp Fox ridiculously well. Maybe I just suck vs Mario though.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Fox vs. Mario: Even
Fox vs. Donkey Kong: +1
Fox vs. Yoshi: Even (possibly -1? I have a lot of experience in this match-up, but my opinion on it changes a lot)

I think people like to underrate Fox on DL in general.

Yay for lazy posts.

blaze3927

Smash Ace
mario can abuse fox's recovery.
but mario is combo'd like a ..olike a... cant think of anything, too tired.
i reckon fox mario is like mario falcon except fox is shorter and can shine fireballs.
maybe 55-45?

mmaybe we need a scoring grid before we get over technical and try and draw up comparisons again without real control?
i.e. does mario being able to abuse a fox's recovery mean that fox's small hurtbox is worth null?

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668

I wouldn't say Luigi has a good recovery for this matchup due to it's low-ish priority. It is long but abusable due to fox's b-air and f-air. Luigi isn't bad at edgeguarding fox at all. I don't see how Luigi can get around Fox's priority personally.

its probably 60-40 overall, 65-35 on Hyrule possibly as Fox can run around and laser forever and just wait.

The Samus matchup is worse than the Link one. It is absolutely terrible. I find it to be possibly even the worst matchup in the game along with Pikachu-Samus. I wouldn't call it in the same class as the Link-Fox matchup so I would put the Fox-Link at 65-35 and the Fox-Samus matchup at 70-30.

Sangoku

Smash Master
He can combo non-DIing mario with dair =P. But it is irrelevant here as we're talking about high level play.

How about some utilts to fairs? I know you don't like utilt but I'm wondering...
:phone:

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Kirby 60 Fox
Falcon 55 Fox
Fox 50 Mario
Fox 55 Yoshi
Fox 65 Ness
Fox 60 Luigi
Fox 70 Samus (75?)

Any thoughts on vs Puff?

ballin4life

Smash Hero
He can combo non-DIing mario with dair =P. But it is irrelevant here as we're talking about high level play.

How about some utilts to fairs? I know you don't like utilt but I'm wondering...
:phone:
It works at certain percentages but Mario can get out pretty easily due to being floaty as heck

edit: apparently I got a "spam" warning for the post before this one ... mod misclick?

clubbadubba

Smash Master
So I was thinking about it, and I started wondering why exactly is the fox v puff matchup considered so much worse than the fox v luigi matchup? I may be wrong (and probably am), but here's the way I see it:

Both luigi and puff have bad approaches vs fox, though I'd give the edge to puff because of her airspeed. Puff combos fox much better than luigi, its basically kill off of a low percentage puff grab. Luigi has a slightly better edgeguard game i suppose, but edgeguarding fox can be done pretty easily by both. As far as recovery goes, I don't see a huge difference. The one thing that's really against puff is how early she dies from usmash or uair.

In short, it seems like puff gets punished more easily by fox, but also punishes fox more easily, so I don't understand why such a large difference between the two matchups would exist. Could someone shine some light on this for me?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Shine + edgehog kills Jiggs at ground level after she has used one jump.

U-Smash and U-Air kill Jiggs real early and ignore her good horizontal recovery.

Luigi can combo Fox just as well as Jiggs does when he gets in, and has arguably better edgeguarding.

Fox beats both pretty thoroughly, even without camping.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I agree with all your points except Luigi being able to combo fox as well as jiggs. Fox's small frame can make it incredibly hard for Luigi to get the combo going. Jiggs can hit the grab at 0% however allowing her to hit the combo much much easier.

But then again my Fox is appalling, as is my theory on him so I'm probably wrong.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Luigi can combo Fox just as well as Jiggs does when he gets in, and has arguably better edgeguarding.
No @ both edgeguarding and comboing. In terms of comboing, they both can combo Fox pretty well at medium percentages; the difference is at low percents, at which Luigi's combo game is pretty ****ing limited. Edgeguarding: if Fox is recovering low, both characters should be pretty much able to kill him. Puff is better at edgeguarding when Fox is recovering high because she can float out and hit his start-up animation, while Luigi's terrible aerial mobility doesn't allow him to do the same. If you are in a situation where you can't, Puff is still better at covering options thanks to Luigi's bad speed.

As for my opinion on Fox-Puff compared to Fox-Luigi on DL? IDK, I think they're maybe about the same.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Puff's approach is about a million times better than Luigi's and Puff combos MUCH better than Luigi off her approaches, especially at low percents when Luigi can't combo Fox at all.

Also shine against Jiggs is mad risky since you have to be ridic close to use it, i.e. within Jiggs's grab range

Top Bottom