• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The new Roy Strategem discussion

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
From the video, i'm going to tell you what i would have done after experimenting a lot with Roy in past.

I would like you to try these out for yourself, to see if it helps or not. I'm not a Roy, main but i find his special attack highly unrated.

1 - Use Flare Blade More

Flare Blade is an Complete under used attack which can be used in a lot of tight, and loose spots.
One example of this is aerial attack. Roy's Aerial attack are weak, the only one of any real use is N-air.
So try replace any other aerial attack, other then N-air with Flare Blade, yes B-air included, since it's possible to turn around, and hit with it while in mid air.

Flare Blade is also faster then F-Smash, for those who weave in and out of your f-smash, Flare blade will like catch them.

Also your edge guarding with Flare Blade is off, When edge guarding with Flare Blade the Closer they are to the edge, the farther you should be. The farther they are from the edge, the closer you should be.

The Flare Blade has 5 charge settings, and are visual possible to see the steps by watching the colors, and the flashes Roy changes. The 3 Charge is equal to a full charge f-smash, the the 4, and 5 being stronger.

When to use DED?

You Didn't use DED at all, and killed yourself when you did.

The DED should be used in very optional placing, for example DED, could be used in place of Dash Attack. DED has to be used very quickly so to no let them recover from the first attack of the DED, after the first attack you have choose which to follow with. Depending on the wieght, and falling speed of the character you should choose wither to hit them up, or across.

I find that you should hit up with heavy characters, and across with light. After the first two steps, you now should have them position to complete your combo. But now you have the third step, this step is an trap for both players. Roy has 3 options here, 1 - Finish the Combo, 2 - Toss them into the air, and 3 - Knock them away. Option 1 is the hardest to do, and option 2 and 3 are more safer. Because if you miss, your left open for punishment during step 4.

DED can be use in many ways, including edge guarding to look fancy.

Reading for an counter?

You only used counter 1 time.

There a lot of time you could have counter, but you either Shield, tried to grab, or attack. Roy counter is better the marth's, and should be put into practice to learn to predict an attack.

Stay on the ground

Roy is best when his feet are on the ground, don't chase someone when they're in the air unless you put the there. There are no attacks that shoot directly down from the air that has the knock back to kill you.
don't use flare blade unless it's going to kill. too much lag.

you don't use DED much which can be good or bad, depending on your style. my style is very heavily reliant on it, but yours isn't. that's probably for the best.

counter should not be used very often. edgeguarding with counter is good. if you read aerials properly, it can work. ledgehop counter is very strong. don't use counter more than once or twice a match aside from edgeguards.

i like your use of jab. remember jab, DED 1st hit, and tippered dtilt make amazing shield pressure.

KingClubber

Smash Ace
In a dark underground base in the middle of L.A
don't use flare blade unless it's going to kill. too much lag.

you don't use DED much which can be good or bad, depending on your style. my style is very heavily reliant on it, but yours isn't. that's probably for the best.

counter should not be used very often. edgeguarding with counter is good. if you read aerials properly, it can work. ledgehop counter is very strong. don't use counter more than once or twice a match aside from edgeguards.

i like your use of jab. remember jab, DED 1st hit, and tippered dtilt make amazing shield pressure.
Isn't that the old way of playing with Roy, that has gotten him no where?

Doesn't the title page say NEW STRATAGEM discussion?

Your supposed to be working on new ideas, not repeating old ones.

NewJerusalem

Smash Apprentice
I've been working on resets with Roy, they're difficult but doable and possibly link into Fsmashes or Grabs.

Moves that force resets and are usable from the easiest to most difficult. (Opponents could SDI upwards as you would do with Fox's thunders combo to survive.)

-Uair sourspotted
-1st hit of Nair
- Sourspotted Jab

Also first hit of nair acts as an 'air jab' if fastfallen you could grab someone out of the first hit to continue punishment.

Can anyone toss ideas around for Roy's punishment game? What are ways you like to punish laggy or whiffed moves?

KingClubber

Smash Ace
In a dark underground base in the middle of L.A
Can anyone toss ideas around for Roy's punishment game? What are ways you like to punish laggy or whiffed moves?
This is what i've done.

- During Low Damage

D-Tilt, DED, or F-smash

The reason why i use these is because of the low knock back on the other moves, and they have very little hit stun.

- During Mid Damage

D-Tilt, DED, Flare Blade, or F-smash

Here the have enough damage that you can easily knock the off the stage they should have around 30% to 65% damage.

- During High Damage

Flare Blade, F-Smash, and maybe DED

Around 70% and higher damage, Flare at its weakest should now be able to toss around you enemy, which should be aimed to knock them off the stage. F-Smash for a quick kill on most character at this point, but some can get survive, and DI can prevent the kill, but it should more then likely get them off the stage.

DED should be a lot more effect now with them having all that extra damage, but the chance for miss is now higher with a lot of characters, but those 2 of the fourth step could kill at this lvl of damage.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
I've been working on resets with Roy, they're difficult but doable and possibly link into Fsmashes or Grabs.

Moves that force resets and are usable from the easiest to most difficult. (Opponents could SDI upwards as you would do with Fox's thunders combo to survive.)

-Uair sourspotted
-1st hit of Nair
- Sourspotted Jab

Also first hit of nair acts as an 'air jab' if fastfallen you could grab someone out of the first hit to continue punishment.

Depends on situations.

I use certain moves to cause tech's

What I use:

Jab
Ftilt
SH Dair Tipped
Grab's
F-smash
Turn around SH Bair.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
rising fair resets
technically i think bair will reset as well, but that's kinda useless
at some percents first hit DED will reset

fsmash/dsmash/grab usually for whiffed moves
when i'm feeling creative, i'll try for some aerial shenanigans

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
I'll try to have videos of my progress with Roy, so hopefully you guys can help me.. I'll even make you all an awesome deal... ^^

Teach me Roy, and i'll do my best to teach Yoshi? Remember, I'm trying to make Roy one of my best, like when I announced i wanted to play Yoshi, I wanna do the same w/roy ^^

good deal eh?? lol

<3 you guys..

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
sounds good. I don't really care much about learning yoshi. but i do want to see your roy. also i'm planning on making a vid of cool roy ****. or just things that work with his laggy-*** moves.

NewJerusalem

Smash Apprentice
I'll try to have videos of my progress with Roy, so hopefully you guys can help me.. I'll even make you all an awesome deal... ^^

Teach me Roy, and i'll do my best to teach Yoshi? Remember, I'm trying to make Roy one of my best, like when I announced i wanted to play Yoshi, I wanna do the same w/roy ^^

good deal eh?? lol

<3 you guys..
I approve this.

Haha Can't wait to see some beat Roys.

Anyways any have any advice against floaties?(Specifically Jiggs) Probably switch to another character or disconnect their controller.

Dsmash may work here.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
yes, DED >^^ or >>^ will knock them onto the ground for a techchase fsmash.

other than that, you just have to be very precise with your attacks. you can't just throw stuff out like marth can.

because of roy's crappy air game, you have to do a lot of bait and punish on the ground. most of the time, your aerials won't trade or win. in this case flare blade is a very good mixup.

if you zone with fair and wait for their attacks and then punish itll work best.

also most floaties are typically crappy matchups anyway.

puff- 70/30
peach- 70/30
IC's- 90/10 maybe 80/20
Marth- 60/40 (imo)

Aar

Smash Cadet
so dair can hit for more kb and hl in basically any direction if you do it right its prettyy awesome, also his dair is good for rising platform stomps

Aar

Smash Cadet
Fun Fact; 4th hit of ded up also has the highest rate to shield stab
Since the first two attacks of ded you can do when ever and then time the third you can runn forward jump back while deding towards ur opponent while jumping back then going over on the third then over again and you can get all four sometimes at lower percents cuz it doesnt matter if the crouch cancle if ur jumping away

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
I've known both for a while, but when I sat down and thought about it I thought it was kind of strange that fourth up reaches that high, what with marth not being able to reach it with up tilt and all.

Oooh, are you using the non-floaty overB trick to jump cancel the shield to OOS it? Such a fun trick, just wish it wasn't so situational!

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
yes. but i figured out a bunch of ways to make it work easier. like DED to any aerial will make you able to do it.

ripple was saying something a while ago about using sh DED1->fair instead of marth's sh double fair.

so you can actually jc DED oos using that.

not sure if that was known, but i think it's really useful.

Heart Break Kid

Smash Lord
Niko! Lol Roy is just different. I dnt even have the drive to get better with Marth like that. Ima leave that groundbreaking 2012 Marth stuff to you new fellas like yourself,Dart,Tai etc

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
Ha! I appreciate that, I saw you after the 2nd game...did you catch the entire set? And Im down for Roy dittoes at the next tournies whenever that is.

This my new main btw. Maybe not for teams though, Im not sure how thatd work out though
Roy should stock tank, and if you see your partner getting combo'd Wavedash in dtilt and run away

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Ha! I appreciate that, I saw you after the 2nd game...did you catch the entire set? And Im down for Roy dittoes at the next tournies whenever that is.

This my new main btw. Maybe not for teams though, Im not sure how thatd work out though
I think I love you. No homo.

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
I have been told by everyone I played with to stop playing Roy. . . and switch to Marth.

Has this happened to you? Discuss.
I just get laughs and not get taken seriously and getting told that Roy sucks

Until I beat a Puff just by spamming f-air in place

Something Marth can't do because he doesn't SHFFL fast enough

And IIRC has less hitbox than Roy

crush

Smash Master
i may not main roy, but i play him all the time and hes probably my best character. i am different from most other roy players because i use a ton of moonwalks, dash attacks, and wavelands.

NewJerusalem

Smash Apprentice
If only I could moonwalk :'[.

I like the fact that Roy players all developed their own style of play. Unlike cookie cutter Foxes and Falcos. :p From what I've seen.

Top Bottom