• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The new Roy Strategem discussion

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
So I'm working on switching up my mains. Young Link just isn't doing it for me anymore. How do I Roy?

TLMarth

Smash Ace
This board feels almost dead.

But yeah. You have to know how each move works... dtilt, side-b combos, grab game, edgeguarding options (flareblade, counter (vs spacies), dtilt, jab (vs spacies illusion), even the meteor smash hitbox for dair). A lot of things can lead to fsmash, maybe not guaranteed, but with some patience. Fsmash is the best kill move, though the third hit of DED (side-b) is good as well. General playstyle uses dashdancing and wavedashing to control... space... and first hit DED (which can always lead to the next hits) and dtilt to poke. If the opponent rolls a lot (in response to DED) predict it and grab (or if you know he's going to do a certain action, then respond appropriately) ... If he crouch cancels a lot, which stops a DED and dtilt, and a lot of stuff, try to grab him.

Look through the guides for general pointers on uses of moves... watch videos... and ask for specific character infooooooooo.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
This board pretty much is dead. I've been playing like crap recently and haven't really been coming up with anything new. I think the newest thing I found is that you can recover from SH dair offstage if you're frame perfect.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Alright. I find that Blazer (idk, w/e neutral B is) is pretty good at killing with a slight charge.

Anthon1996

Smash Ace
NNID
AnUglyBarnacle
3DS FC
5301-0385-3871
Well...I've been playing with Roy, and I found that I could keep juggling Fox with d-tilt...against a CPU, which, y'know, don't DI. I also saw this funny match where this Roy kept reverse Up-Bing some Mr. Game & Watch, star KOing G&W instantly, even at 0%.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Well...I've been playing with Roy, and I found that I could keep juggling Fox with d-tilt...against a CPU, which, y'know, don't DI. I also saw this funny match where this Roy kept reverse Up-Bing some Mr. Game & Watch, star KOing G&W instantly, even at 0%.
roy can dtilt to reverse blazer G&W on YS and PS i think.

you can juggle fox/falco at low percents with dtilt, but if they DI away, you have to either be fast enough to WD dtilt, or you can grab.

camerino1

Smash Lord
I wanna get into Roy discussion because I have been playing as Rot for 7 years now, and it hasn't help anyone. So now I wanna help!

So, don't avoid the tip of your blade. It wont hit as far, but just letting the enemy get that close to you for an attack? No. Tipping has enough hitstun to lead into other attacks. Tippered A leads into a D-smash very well. (One of my favorites against the Spacies.) (DED 3-down leads into the next ones if the final burst doesn't hit... same as U-smash into F-smash, make sure that one is near an edge though.)

I don't have anything else coming to mind right now, but I'm gonna be here a lot to learn new things and help, because I want to make Roy seem like a decent character to everyone! (Such a task :p.)

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
would this be weird if I said i've started Roy...

(Like as serious as I was, when I stated, I wanted to play Yoshi...

this guy is FUUUUNNNNN

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
you're going to be mad when someone picks kirby and counters you.

seriously, kirby beats roy

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
that indeed sounds a bit painful...but it'snot enough to stop me...I wonder if i can pull this off...

*goes to study you all*

^^

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
that indeed sounds a bit painful...but it'snot enough to stop me...I wonder if i can pull this off...

*goes to study you all*

^^
I hope you're serious on this one. *does want to see good roy players*

on a different note hariet the guy n I did roy dittos yesterday :D

Aar

Smash Cadet
How well do you think Roy does against the spacies and Falcon?
TOOO GOOOD I kill them all day like give me 20 and i will not die
he has his counter and everything working for him on spacies cuz of his chain throw low knock back on tips and his dair

unlike all u lame i know his dair is his trumpp

moonwalk or just wave dash back to short hop and dair to ledge cancle or l cancle then edge hog follwd by ledge hop to dair to spike or up air to set up for up smash or bair for death watever u want its so sexy and backwavedash to dair to ugrab to dtilt to upair to dair to fsmash SUPER SEX

Aar

Smash Cadet
and you can just fthrow to dash dance cancle with that middle frame thing and fsmash i love that its one of my faves i can just dash to fsmash forget wavedashing roy is the best he can manuever like crazy and VECTORMAN I CHALLENGE YOU MY ROY IS 2 GOOD first one to make super sex combo video is winner

NewJerusalem

Smash Apprentice
Roy mains!

I just got back from No Johns, I only saw one other Roy main-pyro- but I'm sure there must of been one more. Anyways, GG, it was fun. I wish I could play more often.

LOL at G$ being a bipolar cheerleader. Jk :p

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Roy mains!

I just got back from No Johns, I only saw one other Roy main-pyro- but I'm sure there must of been one more. Anyways, GG, it was fun. I wish I could play more often.

LOL at G$ being a bipolar cheerleader. Jk :p
there aren't anymore close by. hariettheguy was there last time from somewhere else.

camerino1

Smash Lord
I need actual people. I can U-Smash > Dash Attack a level 9 computer Falco and just keep on doing that until he gets over 100%. I found a person Falco to play soon though! So I shall inform everyone here what I find out about the match-up against actual people, and not computers :p.

NewJerusalem

Smash Apprentice
cool, i have yet to find a real use for it, other than it looks fancy.
Yup thats pretty much it. It could hypothetically be used in teams to attack one person and then instant ledge guard lol. However that's pointless.

and @ Camerino. Falco is such a pain to fight. Seriously..

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
@aar: roy is the only character that can dash attack the edge and then turn around and drop onto the edge (theoretically yoshi can do it by using his second jump).

the uses i know of:
dash attack can combo into low aerials because of the edge.

dash attack the edge as a mind game, and ledge hop like normal. but you have to have really precise timing so you dont get punished.

Aar

Smash Cadet
thats legit tho cuz you can do the dash hit them up grab the edge edge hop to dair frontside then to dash dance so they face towards the blast zone to mid dash cancle to fsmash

Aar

Smash Cadet
i honestly think roys dair is one of his best moves man ppl dont realize its the real prize

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
the problem is, i'm pretty sure that the turn around is the IASA frames but i dunno. so you're better off just comboing normally. MAGUS.

NewJerusalem

Smash Apprentice
i honestly think roys dair is one of his best moves man ppl dont realize its the real prize
It's pretty useful but very punishable.

I had a hard tijme landing an Fsmash the other day but I used the Dair and sourspotted it. IT popped up the Fox long enough to be Fsmashed to death.

NewJerusalem

Smash Apprentice
Roy players really have to maximize what we have.
I find myself using everything except the Dsmash--
I Just can't seem a use for it.

Does anyone know (at least) one effective use of the Dsmash?

I found a simple use for the dash attack ledgedrop and I think I can force a reset now which is good but not guaranteed.

Aar

Smash Cadet
Roys Dsmash is pretty sweet

I like to use it right away when fighting a fastfaller bcuz you can hit them with both swings and do 40 damage

another use is after you shffl or attack and they are shielding and you dont think you can poke just dsmash and the shield stun and knockback should send them off the platform or edge. not that useful but good for defense. when edge guarding altho id suggest other movs but u can use dsmash to kill them whn EG by hitting them with just the tip. Thats it

oh and with fox when uthrow to dsmash if you get both hits you can uthrow again to another dsmash or f smash and do like 90% to death in a matter of secs

Aar

Smash Cadet
Dair is a great move for roy.

It's useful out of shield, good for combos, and has multiple hitboxes with different trajectory and hitstun.
this guy knows. i love this move it still surprises me sometimes cuz just like today i was playing against ness and i dair and hit him a little to the left werd hed be sweet spotted and spiked. it still spiked like the sound but sent him more up and killed him off the top

oh and the other day i found that roys fsmash can send them in the reverse direction it almost seems stronger lol defny cooler

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
tippered dsmash is really good at shield poking and it sends at a very horizontal angle.

sweetspot dsmash is amazingly useful when fsmash will be too slow to guarantee a hit. most useful against floaties but i find myself using it more and more shiek too. falling uair combos well into it.

also low% dsmash will break a cc better than dtilt, but you have to predict the cc.

Aar

Smash Cadet
Roy IMHO has the most moves of any character and they are all situational so if you do it right i think he can do anything except turn around after using his third jump.

NewJerusalem

Smash Apprentice
Lol i wish that were the case. I need more practical information.

DED is great and all but it's using it's usefulness. People are DIing and SDIing out and being more careful in general.

Anyways, anyone have good advice in the Roy vs Marth matchup?

What about Marth is exploitable ?

KingClubber

Smash Ace
In a dark underground base in the middle of L.A
From the video, i'm going to tell you what i would have done after experimenting a lot with Roy in past.

I would like you to try these out for yourself, to see if it helps or not. I'm not a Roy, main but i find his special attack highly unrated.

1 - Use Flare Blade More

Flare Blade is an Complete under used attack which can be used in a lot of tight, and loose spots.
One example of this is aerial attack. Roy's Aerial attack are weak, the only one of any real use is N-air.
So try replace any other aerial attack, other then N-air with Flare Blade, yes B-air included, since it's possible to turn around, and hit with it while in mid air.

Flare Blade is also faster then F-Smash, for those who weave in and out of your f-smash, Flare blade will like catch them.

Also your edge guarding with Flare Blade is off, When edge guarding with Flare Blade the Closer they are to the edge, the farther you should be. The farther they are from the edge, the closer you should be.

The Flare Blade has 5 charge settings, and are visual possible to see the steps by watching the colors, and the flashes Roy changes. The 3 Charge is equal to a full charge f-smash, the the 4, and 5 being stronger.

When to use DED?

You Didn't use DED at all, and killed yourself when you did.

The DED should be used in very optional placing, for example DED, could be used in place of Dash Attack. DED has to be used very quickly so to no let them recover from the first attack of the DED, after the first attack you have choose which to follow with. Depending on the wieght, and falling speed of the character you should choose wither to hit them up, or across.

I find that you should hit up with heavy characters, and across with light. After the first two steps, you now should have them position to complete your combo. But now you have the third step, this step is an trap for both players. Roy has 3 options here, 1 - Finish the Combo, 2 - Toss them into the air, and 3 - Knock them away. Option 1 is the hardest to do, and option 2 and 3 are more safer. Because if you miss, your left open for punishment during step 4.

DED can be use in many ways, including edge guarding to look fancy.

Reading for an counter?

You only used counter 1 time.

There a lot of time you could have counter, but you either Shield, tried to grab, or attack. Roy counter is better the marth's, and should be put into practice to learn to predict an attack.

Stay on the ground

Roy is best when his feet are on the ground, don't chase someone when they're in the air unless you put the there. There are no attacks that shoot directly down from the air that has the knock back to kill you.

NewJerusalem

Smash Apprentice
From the video, i'm going to tell you what i would have done after experimenting a lot with Roy in past.

I would like you to try these out for yourself, to see if it helps or not. I'm not a Roy, main but i find his special attack highly unrated.

1 - Use Flare Blade More

Flare Blade is an Complete under used attack which can be used in a lot of tight, and loose spots.
One example of this is aerial attack. Roy's Aerial attack are weak, the only one of any real use is N-air.
So try replace any other aerial attack, other then N-air with Flare Blade, yes B-air included, since it's possible to turn around, and hit with it while in mid air.

Flare Blade is also faster then F-Smash, for those who weave in and out of your f-smash, Flare blade will like catch them.

Also your edge guarding with Flare Blade is off, When edge guarding with Flare Blade the Closer they are to the edge, the farther you should be. The farther they are from the edge, the closer you should be.

The Flare Blade has 5 charge settings, and are visual possible to see the steps by watching the colors, and the flashes Roy changes. The 3 Charge is equal to a full charge f-smash, the the 4, and 5 being stronger.

When to use DED?

You Didn't use DED at all, and killed yourself when you did.

The DED should be used in very optional placing, for example DED, could be used in place of Dash Attack. DED has to be used very quickly so to no let them recover from the first attack of the DED, after the first attack you have choose which to follow with. Depending on the wieght, and falling speed of the character you should choose wither to hit them up, or across.

I find that you should hit up with heavy characters, and across with light. After the first two steps, you now should have them position to complete your combo. But now you have the third step, this step is an trap for both players. Roy has 3 options here, 1 - Finish the Combo, 2 - Toss them into the air, and 3 - Knock them away. Option 1 is the hardest to do, and option 2 and 3 are more safer. Because if you miss, your left open for punishment during step 4.

DED can be use in many ways, including edge guarding to look fancy.

Reading for an counter?

You only used counter 1 time.

There a lot of time you could have counter, but you either Shield, tried to grab, or attack. Roy counter is better the marth's, and should be put into practice to learn to predict an attack.

Stay on the ground

Roy is best when his feet are on the ground, don't chase someone when they're in the air unless you put the there. There are no attacks that shoot directly down from the air that has the knock back to kill you.
Thank you very much, this is information I can use. :awesome:

Top Bottom