• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ~New~ SWF GYM! Newbies and New Years Resolution Peeps Wanted!

Solaris1110

Smash Journeyman
For the past couple weeks, I've been going through huge quantities of mussels, (the amino acids in them supposedly boost lutenizing hormone) cycling zinc tablets (50mg a once a week) and then big amounts food right after (and every common food that helps keep the hormones high,)

Oh yeah, and i'm noticing a huge increase in strength obviously.

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer
*insert Estrogen* n____n

Love the new banner, very fly Meno! Nice to see this place get a bit of a refresh!

Over the past year I've managed to lose about 4kgs (about 9lbs?), somewhat unintentionally, which has got me at a weight I'm quite happy with and seem to be able to maintain. I could push to try to lose more but I'm more into this to stay healthy and happy more than anything else.

Right now my only goal would be to try to eventually get to running 8-10km for a fun run in July. n___n (not going to be in the country for Mother's Day Classic this year Attila! :c)

SuperMatt

Smash Champion
18spikes, pull a lance armstrong

get sick and lose all unnessecary weight and then come back and dominate the world

except dont get (testicular) cancer

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Playing basketball for 3 straight hours felt good. Nothing fun like non-stop full court action. Now my legs feel like **** lol.

Underload

Lazy
Hi, I'm Peter. From Colorado, 16 years old (or 12, either way). At this point, I haven't hit the gym consistently for about 3 years. Basically, since 8th grade. I felt that I had too much energy and too much time on my hands, so I decided to get back into lifting. I kinda feel weird in this body. 6'1"-6'2" or so tall, good frame, but just a really skinnyfat type body, y'know? (That and I want all the high school bitties, mhm)

I've really only been working out for two weeks at this point. I still have my old weights and everything from middle school in my basement, so it was painless to get the equipment I needed. After a little bit of studying up on nutrition and proper form and good lifts to incorporate, I started doing the grind.

I basically sustain myself on carbs in the form of oatmeal or bread, all types of meat, fruits, water, and those little 20g-of-protein-a-bar things you get from King Soopers. I need to get a job before I can order pounds of protein powder, so for now I just ride my parents' shopping list.

It's easy for me to keep motivated because I like lifting. It's fun. If I ever feel unmotivated one day, I just watch a movie like Scarface or something and then make bad Tony Montana impressions while I squat or something. ey **** you mayne *snort*

I'm still adding weight every time I got downstairs to lift, so I won't list many. Right now I'm only lifting like 115 pounds benching weight. Bad

I don't have a set workout regimen. I just make sure to always do 5 sets by 5 reps of bench, deadlift, and this other workout (iunno the name, but it's when you get in deadlift position, and then bring the bar up to your chest and do an overhead press). Just lots of compound workouts, and then when I'm bored, stuff like biceps curls and triceps extensions and lateral raises and Arnold press and stuff like that.

That's about it. I'd post a picture, but there are no results to brag about.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
underload is here! welcome welcome <3

@TM: no mother's day classic? looks like we'll have to do the 'run melbourne' 7km when you come back :D

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
nice pic shmot. I was never much of a sprinter with asthma and all :embarrass:

Also I am seriously so unlucky with my health. Now the steroids are failing, my throat is swelling ever-more. Going back to the hospital at 2:15, maybe I'll actually get cut open this time. Still eating only about 300 calories a day.. this morning I weighed in at 179.5. This is not how I wanted to get under 180 :urg:

Fried Ice Cream

Smash Ace
Sign me up! I've been lifting stuff for show for a while, but I never really put any thought into it. My build is okay, but it's fairly skinny. I really just want to put on some muscle/weight! I don't really put thought into what I'm eating and I feel like that's an important factor :\.

I have 2 weights of 3 kg (I combine these to 1 of 6 kg) and a weight of 10kg in total which is adjustable. I really suck at lifting and don't have any other material. I also don't have any knowledge about supplements or anything, but I don't think I want to get into supplements yet.

Ah well, sign up Dourin!

Underload

Lazy
I'm trying to get a consistent lifting schedule / workout plan going. Any help? I want to focus on gains as much as possible, so no cardio for now. I'm tired of this "just work out every other day and do whatever" mentality.

I don't have many machines at my disposal, just a rack and bench to do squats and bench press from, some dumbbells that only go up to 20 pounds (and a single 25 pound one :/), and the floor around me. I own 200 pounds of weights. Help!

edit: oh yeah, and a punching bag.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
Hi my name is Tan. I'm 21, 5' 3.5" and 124-128lbs. I'm currently studying PA in grad school. I started lifting around 6th grade using dumbells. I would do basic curling and that deltoid exercise where you lift the weight up in front of you. At that age, it was just about having fun and something to do. It felt good to do 50 pushups in 1 minute, although one black kid beat me by 1 pushup XD Anyway, I didn't lift in high school due to extracurriculars and stupid busy work aka homework. I've been lifting since my first year of college though I only got serious within the past year and a half. I consider myself to be fit and fairly cut due to my low body fat. My goal is to get bigger and put on weight. I'm starting to fill out my shirts, but genetics still limit my size. While I'm not a fan of jerks, I find having someone to lift with can help my mindset and help me push myself to my limit. I feel like thinking in this mindset INTERNALLY helps me push it TO THE MAX! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC2QLorSKss&feature=related) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g424IGwR3zA&feature=related) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbAmh7hfaBM&feature=related)

As a regular lifter, except during test weeks, I have a lot of pet peeves when I go lifting. My college doesn't have a gym, so we mooch off of a college nearby. Also, I have access to a gym in an apartment complex. Please note, however, that both these gym pretty much suck. They lack a lot of diverse machines to give different workouts. They are both really small. Really small. The college gym gets pack with 7+ people and the apartment gym gets packed with 3-4+ people legit. Anyway, here are some pet peeves:

-Jerks: the people that take you machine when you get a drink of water or go looking for weights to add/decrease from your routine. Though if you tell'em off, they'll give back your machine, but they should ask. I usually ask if someone is done with a weight or machine before taking it unless they clearly go to another machine.

-Jerks who scream: If you need to breath out hard, maybe a lil grunt, or a tssssss, that's fine. There's no need to yell "YEEEAAA" or "GGGRRRRRR" or have your spot yell "YEAAA BRROOO, YOU GOT THIS! COM'ON! YEA! YEA! YEA!" It's just a bother to the people next to you.

-Poor Form: I understand that some people casually lift and that's fine. You can usually tell the difference between someone who pushes their limit to get bigger and those that do it for everyday fitness. When I see people racking on weights only to use their whole body instead of isolate, I tend to cringe inside. If you're gonna use the cables to do tris, don't move your whole arm, keep the elbow stationary and use them tris to pull down. Gonna pull down for lats? Don't use your back to pull back. Keep your back straight and stationary and pull down using those lats with some obvious overlap with arms. The poor form goes on. The worst is not that the person will not effectively strengthen their body part, but they put themselves at higher risk for injury. I've had times where I feel a burning pulling sensation that results from bad form. I usually get a spot and have them observe how to improve my form. If it still burns, I stop.

-Habits: I tend to take breaks between sets, but d*** it, don't just sit there ****ing around. The gym is small enough. Use it or get off. There's another casual lifter I see there and apparently he doesn't know the meaning of personal space haha. Stop pacing between sets and if you do, don't come withing inches of me.

Anyway, besides that rant, I tend to use whey protein. I typically do 1 scoop (~23g or 32g) a day. I can't do those 5 small meals due to class restrictions and need to stay focused when studying for test. My eating habit is pretty meh. I don't drink soda often, but lots of coffee and junk food. I don't eat much though. That's probably a reason why I have trouble putting on weight. As for my schedule, during non-testing sessions I go by this:

- Sets x Reps @ XXX lbs (+### lbs : depends if I have a spot haha) By the way, I hate hate hate those smith machines. They are deceptive as you can put up more weight on them. You don't have to stabilize and you can push up and forward. I prefer free weight, but there are a lack of benches that have racks or benches that can change elevation. I assume the bars I use are 45lbs. I can't tell sometimes :/ A tilde "~" means "approximately" as I don't remember everything. Schmot has an excellent term called "failure." It's when you go till you physically can't push anymore. Also, my schedule changes depending on which gym I go to. some gyms just don't have the necessary equipment.

Warm ups:
Various stretches
Planch pushups/ pushups from the waist - 3 x 20
Various forms of crunches - 1x30 > 1x35 > 1x30

Day 1: Pectorals
Wide grip pullups (palms facing away from face) - 3 x failure
Flat bench - 3 x 10 @ 135lbs (+20lbs)
Decline bench (smith machine) - 3 x 10 @ 155lbs (+20lbs)
Incline bench (smith machine) - 3 x 10 @ 115lbs (+20lbs)
Flys - 3 x 10 @ 35 each hand (+5lbs)
Cable Flys ~ 50-60 lbs each side (+10lbs)
Some exercise my brother showed me - 3 x 10 @ 15lbs (Mainly form and to keep the burn)
Wide grip pull downs (cable) for Latismus dorsi - 3 x 10 @ ~60-110 lbs... I really don't remember what the resistance feels like.
Close grip pull downs (palms facing toward face) - 3 x 10 @ 60-110 lbs...
Those side dips for obliques - 3 x 10 @ 25-35lbs (Form is incredibly important here.)
Abs - medicine ball @ 6lbs tossed > grab > go down > twist and touch both sides of the decline bench > up > toss > repeat - 1 x 15 > 1 x 15 (+5) > 1 x failure

Day 2: Bis and Tris
*Pull ups
Hammer Curls - 1 x 10 @ 25lbs each hand > 1 x 10 @ 30lbs each hand > Burnout (without breaks 1 x 8 @ 30lbs, 1 x 10 @ 15 lbs, 1 x 12 @ 10 lbs) You really feel the burn by not taking breaks AT ALL.
Skull Crushers - 3 x 10 @ 40lbs + bar weight (+10lbs)
Preacher Curls (palm up) - 3 x 10 @ 50lbs + bar weight (+10lbs)
The tris exercise where you hold 1 dumbell and dip it behind your head while sitting straight up - 3 x 10 @ 55lbs (+5lbs)
Preacher Curls (palm down) - 3 x 10 @ 30lbs + bar weight (+5lbs)
Cable Pull downs (tris) - 3 x 10 @ 110-120lbs
Tricep Dips - 2 x 10 > 1 x Failure
*Abs

Day 3: Shoulders, Deltoids, Back
*pullups
~Rows - 3 x 10 @ ??? I can't even guess.
Deltoid side lifts... - 1 x 10 @ 15lbs > 1 x 10 @ 20lbs > Burnout ( 1 x 8 @ 20lbs, 1 x 10 @ 10lbs, 1 x 10 @ 5lbs)
Deltoid front lifts... - Same as above
Deltoid exercise where you side on a bench w/back rest and keep arm at 90 degree angle and push up till the weights touch each other - 3 x 10 @ 35-40lbs each hand (+5lbs)
Shrugs (hold for 1 second > 1.5 seconds > 2 seconds) - 3 x 10 @ 25-40lbs (I go for form and some isometric excercise.)
Same thing above but using a preach curl bar and starting raised and dipping behind the head - 3 x 10 @ 40lbs + bar weight
*Obliques

Day 4: Rest

Back to Day 1

Occassionally I'll do legs which mainly consist of dips 3 x 10 using 45-55lbs on each hand. I don't squat cause I have scoliosis and, more importantly, I'm not used to it. I don't have someone to spot me that knows what their doing, so I don't have anyone to pay attention to my form.

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
Occassionally I'll do legs which mainly consist of dips 3 x 10 using 45-55lbs on each hand. I don't squat cause I have scoliosis and, more importantly, I'm not used to it. I don't have someone to spot me that knows what their doing, so I don't have anyone to pay attention to my form.
No Johns. If you aren't used to it, get used to it. If you use a squat rack you don't need a spotter. Read about form and watch videos and record your lifts if you need help with technique.

And read this article.

http://stronglifts.com/lamar-gant-long-limbs-deadlift/

Omis

my friends were skinny
Well then. I finally got my hand into a cast after a nasty break. That means that today is the first day of my cutting season. Wanted to bulk for a bit longer but you gotta work with what you are given. Any dieting tips? Looking to drop to single digits this time.

Underload

Lazy
Fiber and vegetables. Fresh sun-dried tomatoes, avocado, baby lima beans, green peas, artichoke, edamame, jicama, parsnips, kohlrabi, okra, and endives are the things you wanna be seen eating a lot. Getting your nutrients from sources like that will help tons with cutting. 30 or more grams of fiber a day. Also, eat everything you can raw. I understand eggs and meat and stuff, but really, foods that are safe to eat raw / uncooked should be eaten as such.

That kind of diet will leave you with more energy and a cleaner system, leading to a better run / bike / cardio / whatever.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
Well then. I finally got my hand into a cast after a nasty break. That means that today is the first day of my cutting season. Wanted to bulk for a bit longer but you gotta work with what you are given. Any dieting tips? Looking to drop to single digits this time.
Oh man that sucks, I've been there :( how long is the cast expected to be on? Also props on the cutting mindset, I turned into a lazy *** because I can't willingly give up food and any form of exercise made my cast smell like chemical death.

I'm just about over my tonsillitis so my appetite is coming back. I'm not the kind of person to put any effort into a diet but my eating habits are pretty good. Here's my average day:

Breakfast: Oatmeal, 3-4 packets with 2% milk,
Lunch: 2x Sandwich, either pbj or deli meat or something. Whole wheat oatnut bread for life.
Dinner: I cook a meal if I have time, otherwise it's soup/sandwich/leftovers.
Snacks: Yogurt/hard boiled eggs/fruit/small bowl of raisin bran
2000-3000 mL of water a day. No soda or juice. Sometimes gatorade.

I love eating everything I eat. Is it strange I don't even consider that healthy :oneeye:

Omis

my friends were skinny
They think itll be on for about 8 weeks. I have a huge pain tolerance and only figured that it was time to go to the doctor when I lost control of some of my fingers.

Why do I need all the fiber? I can groovy with some vegs but if I like to keep it low. Im a total paleobro. When I bulked, I just ate meat, cheese, eggs, milk, and fish all day. And I loved every second of it.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
edamame, jicama, parsnips, kohlrabi,endives
o_O I've never heard of those fruits/vegetables/whatever category they belong to. Imma have to google image them to see if I've even seen them before haha.

Breakfast: Oatmeal, 3-4 packets with 2% milk,
Lunch: 2x Sandwich, either pbj or deli meat or something. Whole wheat oatnut bread for life.
Dinner: I cook a meal if I have time, otherwise it's soup/sandwich/leftovers.
Snacks: Yogurt/hard boiled eggs/fruit/small bowl of raisin bran
2000-3000 mL of water a day. No soda or juice. Sometimes gatorade.

I love eating everything I eat. Is it strange I don't even consider that healthy :oneeye:
Wow, that's a great diet. Mine is pretty terrible compared to that. Breakfast: kids sugary cereal w/2% milk
Lunch: toaster oven heated food (deep dish pizza, popcorn chicken, chicken stuffed with broccoli)
Dinner: same as lunch - I rarely cook, but when I do, it's usually just lean chicken or ground beef
Snacks: potato skins, mozzerella sticks, popcorn, sometimes fruit, usually granola bars
I have no idea how much water I drink. I drink 1 cup of coffee if I'm tired, lots of juice and lots of tea (arizona - the less healthy one instead of using a tea bag and boiling water)

Power to ya 18spikes! I respect that.

Ouch. I've never broken a bone. You held off till your fingers stopped functioning? Geeze, manly haha. Does cutting just mean losing weight or something? How do you drop to singles digits/what does that mean?

Omis

my friends were skinny
I'm pretty distrustful of doctors so I just pretended like nothing was wrong with it and that I was just being a biotch by complaining. Heck I even continued to lift a few times. Cutting means losing weight, preferably fat. Dropping to single digits is losing enough weight that my body fat percentage is in the single digits.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
I'm pretty distrustful of doctors so I just pretended like nothing was wrong with it and that I was just being a biotch by complaining. Heck I even continued to lift a few times. Cutting means losing weight, preferably fat. Dropping to single digits is losing enough weight that my body fat percentage is in the single digits.
Ahhhh okay. That makes a lot more sense. I had the sense of losing weight, but when you mentioned single digits, I thought "How could anyone weigh under 10lbs haha." Yea.... :p Do you have something to measure body fat? I'd love to know how to measure it.

Underload

Lazy
@Darkshadow: I'mma guess he uses a caliper.

Why do I need all the fiber? I can groovy with some vegs but if I like to keep it low. Im a total paleobro. When I bulked, I just ate meat, cheese, eggs, milk, and fish all day. And I loved every second of it.
Our paleolithic bruddas ate like 40 grams of fiber a day. I just remember it's a really big number compared to the 5-10 most people get today. The guy in that video I posted mentioned that, I think.

So eat your vegetables! You can't cut with a cast on if you eat lots of dairy and animal products. (I hate that reality. That's why I'm enjoying my bulking time as much as I can :/)

Also

Breakfast: Boiled oats with two teaspoons of honey errday
School lunch: Protein and vegetables, sometimes a fruit
Real lunch: Chipotle if I feel like it, otherwise a sandwich with cheese and deli meat at home, with a side of cottage cheese and a vegetable.
Dinner: Whatever my family decides to cook. Usually meaty and carby, so good for a recovery meal.

I really need to introduce supps to my diet. Protein powder, flaxseed oil, metamucil (lol), etc.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
It appears that I have the most terrible diet. But it's impossible to resist those "caramel delights" girl scout cookies.

UL, I wish I had you initiative at your age. I'd be so much bigger if I cared back then. Good for you!

terr13

Smash Journeyman
5' 4" or so, 140 lbs last I checked. Currently doing undergrad at UCB. I'm currently doing Madcow's 5x5, and I'm starting light so this week is 165 Bench, 205 Squat, 205 Deadlift, 100 Row, 90 OHP. By the end of the semester I hope to hit 225 lbs Bench, 315 Squat, 335 DL, and bodyweight Row/OHP.

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
how far along the program are you? that doesn't sound too "light".

I think I need to get more sleep. I'm beginning to stall on my squats at 205.
'

terr13

Smash Journeyman
I think this is the third week. Before winter break I could already hit 5x225 Squat/DL and 5x175 BP, so I just set that to be the 4th week or so.

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
Wow. Have you lifted before starting your program?

Lol your numbers are putting me to shame; I might need to deload on my lifts soon.

terr13

Smash Journeyman
Lol, I started going to the gym consistenly around 1.5 years ago, and then started adding Squats/DL about 1 year ago. I did 5x5 over the summer, but I was kinda busy last semester, so I dropped from 150lbs to 140lbs and tried to maintain my strength, and the winter break made it even worse :<.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Squat and deadlift weight are very much form dependent; you'll lift at least 30kgs more with poor form. Important to keep this in mind.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Yep. I'm "squating" 165lbs, but if I really do it right I'm struggling with 135lbs.

And damn, Terr. Beast.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Ah, I always forget to take into account height. Yeah, I'm 5'11, and 160...so I definitely do look "scrawnier" compared to him lol.

Top Bottom