• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ~New~ SWF GYM! Newbies and New Years Resolution Peeps Wanted!

etecoon

Smash Hero
just popping in to say that the shake weight is the most hilarious thing I have ever seen in a serious themed television commercial

etecoon

Smash Hero
the spinny chair was goofy but it didn't look like a handjob simulator at least

theeboredone

Smash Legend
South Park did make fun of the shake weight...funny how I ended up seeing the commercials for it after South Park made fun of it z.z...

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
I've always found that I improve in rapid stages like that. Like improving my weighted chin ups by 10 kgs in a week lol. Assumed it was normal...

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
I've always found that I improve in rapid stages like that. Like improving my weighted chin ups by 10 kgs in a week lol. Assumed it was normal...
Question: 1) When did you decide to buy weights for chinups or pullups? How many could you do before the weights? Did you buy a weighted vest or something? There's a jacked guy at my gym that does numerous pull ups and chin ups with a weighted vest. I'm not sure when I should go heavy though. I can do 10 wide grip pull ups > 7 > 5 haha. I'm not sure if I'm strong enough to use more weight, but using more weight will get me stronger than doing more reps. Your thoughts?

Attila_

BRoomer
i've been doing it for years, although i don't feel the need to buy weight vests or similar for them (although i do own a 30kg weight vest). I did normal chins until i could do 12 full range ones (most people don't go all the way down, i think this is important), then i started to put a small dumbbell behind one of my knees and support with my other leg (it kinda looks like i'm kneeling down). i just alternate which leg it's behind after each set.

nowadays i'm not interested in size or strength, just power, so i cut the reps down to six, and complete my chins with a 40 kgs dumbbell.

imo i'd suggest sticking to bodyweight until you can do 3x12; gotta get the base strength level first.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
my awesome hotel gym is now too far away from my temporary home and my closest gym, a fitness first, is a $22 guest pass. FML

Attila_

BRoomer
my awesome hotel gym is now too far away from my temporary home and my closest gym, a fitness first, is a $22 guest pass. FML
you know i've got about a 1000 free passes, right?

Im confused here. How do you differently define power and strength? I always thought of them as the same thing.
power is the exhertion of force with regards to time, the idea being to use a maximal amount of strength in a minimal time to create a greater force. strength, on the other hand, works independently of time, and needs to be able to be maintained.

think of strength for long stuff, and power for short stuff.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer

let's bee fwiendz.

oh, wait. we're already friends. i'll take 10! <3

wubbbbbb

also, would the passes work in singapore and the philippines fitness firsts? there's tons in metro manila and i'd probably be up for a first-world gym over there lol

Attila_

BRoomer
you can have as many as you like <3

not sure if they work overseas, although it doesn't say anywhere that they don't...

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
i've been doing it for years, although i don't feel the need to buy weight vests or similar for them (although i do own a 30kg weight vest). I did normal chins until i could do 12 full range ones (most people don't go all the way down, i think this is important), then i started to put a small dumbbell behind one of my knees and support with my other leg (it kinda looks like i'm kneeling down). i just alternate which leg it's behind after each set.

nowadays i'm not interested in size or strength, just power, so i cut the reps down to six, and complete my chins with a 40 kgs dumbbell.

imo i'd suggest sticking to bodyweight until you can do 3x12; gotta get the base strength level first.
Okay will do. Once I get to 3x12 I'll try seeing how to put dumbells between the legs. Also, I do go all the way down. I see people who down halfway and swing their legs to do the next pull up. Your lats must be beautiful:sadeyes:.

Do you work at a gym?

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
Yeah full ROM and strict body control is really important for pullups imo. Disclaimer that I have nothing against Crossfit and even did their WODs with a friend for several weeks, but they looove kipping pullups which I think are hilarious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh1nV3s4ioU seriously wtf are those.

shmot I agree that it's good to have base strength before going for weighted pullups but I disagree with 12x3, maybe it's cause I'm a bigger guy but large sets of pullups waste me. I can do 12 strict on set 1 but then I sink down to like 8 after that. Despite that I can do sets of 6-8 with a plate on me and can do a pullup with at least 100 lbs. I just started doing weighted when my lats stopped hurting after doing bw pullups :bee:

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
Yeah full ROM and strict body control is really important for pullups imo. Disclaimer that I have nothing against Crossfit and even did their WODs with a friend for several weeks, but they looove kipping pullups which I think are hilarious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh1nV3s4ioU seriously wtf are those.

shmot I agree that it's good to have base strength before going for weighted pullups but I disagree with 12x3, maybe it's cause I'm a bigger guy but large sets of pullups waste me. I can do 12 strict on set 1 but then I sink down to like 8 after that. Despite that I can do sets of 6-8 with a plate on me and can do a pullup with at least 100 lbs. I just started doing weighted when my lats stopped hurting after doing bw pullups :bee:
Multiple things:
1) What does ROM stand for?
2) What does WOD stand for?
3) I seriously hope that guy didn't think he did 49 pull ups hahah. It looked like he was the Worm vertically XD I like that word you used 18spike - "kipping." Imma use that now every time I see a hopped pullup. :)

It's interesting how you and schmot start using weights at different times. I guess I'll just play around with the weights for pullups. If I feel like I'm not strong enough, I'll just keep building a base. The things I want to work on now is just building mass for my pectoralis major, getting my serratus anterior more cut, and mass and cut for my triceps.

4) What do you guys think about P90X?

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
1. ROM is range of motion. I think a pullup should be dead hang, to chin above bar (when I do hammer grip pullups I like to touch my hands to my shoulders to make sure I got all the way up)
2. WOD is workout of the day, Crossfit has a wacky system where you do a variety of occasionally exotic exercises every day, generally as fast as you can ("for time"), for the purpose of comparing your results with others.
3. I have no idea what the history of the term is but I didn't come up with it, I wouldn't be surprised if it was coined by crossfit since they love it so much. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAZaHzd6qAY *shrug*
4. From what I understand P90X is alright, like above gimmick status. It apparently works really well if you put in the effort required (although it's a lot of effort). A smasher friend of mine who looks like this recently started doing P90X with his girlfriend over skype while she's away for college, and he's enjoying it.

Attila_

BRoomer
kipping? i like it also. i've always referred to it as 'caterpillaring', though :D

everybody has different ideas about what works and what doesn't. in my experience, i like a strong, solid foundation before progressing; i don't progress unless i am undoubtedly ready for it. and also, as far as i know shadow isn't a big guy, and he's also looking to put on mass, so the 3x12 seems to stack up nicely (for the record, i am naturally a really mini guy).

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
P90X? More like GAY90X lololololol

But seriously, it's okay to do if you want to get in shape. And what Tony Horton says sometimes is just too good. Be sure to try to get it free though; it's definitely not worth the several hundreds of dollars they sell it for.

If you want to build muscle and get in shape do a beginner strength training program such as Starting Strength or StrongLifts. 90 days of either one will give you better gains than 90 days of P90.

Omis

my friends were skinny
Screw my life. This cast has completely ruined any gains of mine. The cast is on my weak side which has furthered its sub-ordinance to my dominant arm. My arms have dropped a quarter inch and seem to be quickly going down. This is horribly depressing. Cut is going agiht but its still sad seeing how small Im getting/;

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
I've been there man :( you guys remember all my whiny posts last thread. Don't sweat it too much, I bounced back in strength pretty fast. Scariest thing was worrying about whether the injury itself would permanently impact my ability to lift, but my wrist can handle weight quite well now. Size is slower, I think, unless it's just a psychological thing. Although my girlfriend did recently comment that my butt shrank :embarrass:

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
1. ROM is range of motion. I think a pullup should be dead hang, to chin above bar (when I do hammer grip pullups I like to touch my hands to my shoulders to make sure I got all the way up)
2. WOD is workout of the day, Crossfit has a wacky system where you do a variety of occasionally exotic exercises every day, generally as fast as you can ("for time"), for the purpose of comparing your results with others.
3. I have no idea what the history of the term is but I didn't come up with it, I wouldn't be surprised if it was coined by crossfit since they love it so much. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAZaHzd6qAY *shrug*
4. From what I understand P90X is alright, like above gimmick status. It apparently works really well if you put in the effort required (although it's a lot of effort). A smasher friend of mine who looks like this recently started doing P90X with his girlfriend over skype while she's away for college, and he's enjoying it.
Ah interesting. So this Crossfit thing is more than a gym but a workout plan type thing huh. As for their kipping pull up... "More work in less time...means greater intesity...Greater intensity means greater fitness" So many things wrong with that statement. It's so dependent on how much work is accomplished in a give time. I'm not gonna bother giving mathematical examples since we are all smart enough to reason this out logically.

As for P90X, sounds fair enough. My friends used to do it to lose weight. I got no problem with it since it does seem to give a workout and if people need the video for motivation, then power to them, I guess. Tony Horton just gave my friends an unnecessary meathead attitude.

kipping? i like it also. i've always referred to it as 'caterpillaring', though :D

everybody has different ideas about what works and what doesn't. in my experience, i like a strong, solid foundation before progressing; i don't progress unless i am undoubtedly ready for it. and also, as far as i know shadow isn't a big guy, and he's also looking to put on mass, so the 3x12 seems to stack up nicely (for the record, i am naturally a really mini guy).
Pretty true. I don't consider myself big. Being lean =/= big, and my chesticles and lats are pretty weak.

P90X? More like GAY90X lololololol

But seriously, it's okay to do if you want to get in shape. And what Tony Horton says sometimes is just too good. Be sure to try to get it free though; it's definitely not worth the several hundreds of dollars they sell it for.

If you want to build muscle and get in shape do a beginner strength training program such as Starting Strength or StrongLifts. 90 days of either one will give you better gains than 90 days of P90.
"If that's not P90 soup then I don't know what it is!" My friends used to quote him so much. Much to my displeasure they used to walk outside randomly doing and saying "EXXXXXXXX" in public. At least they cooled their jets now haha. Also, yea definitely not worth hundreds of dollars.

Attila_

BRoomer
I've been there man :( you guys remember all my whiny posts last thread. Don't sweat it too much, I bounced back in strength pretty fast. Scariest thing was worrying about whether the injury itself would permanently impact my ability to lift, but my wrist can handle weight quite well now. Size is slower, I think, unless it's just a psychological thing. Although my girlfriend did recently comment that my butt shrank :embarrass:
muscle memory is amazing.

i missed the first half of the track season with a stress fracture, but 10 weeks on, i'm one of the fastest sprinters in the state.

etecoon

Smash Hero
from what I've heard p90x will work for anyone who isn't already on a better training program, but has exercises that can be bad for you, copy pasta

"The choice of exercises are poor. Upright rows internally rotate the shoulders to their limit and aren't a very healthy movement in the long-run. Same with chair dips (which also suck because they have no range). Tricep kickbacks are mediocre because gravity does much of the work for you. They include these two for tris but no Tate press (http://ironechelon.webs.com/TatePress.htm)?

The "Ab Ripper" workout contains sit-ups ("Crossed Leg, Wide Leg Sit Up") which are bad for your back and target the hip flexors, not the abs. There's something even worse called the "V-Up Roll-Up". You can see that at about 1:12 here: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6584463388003516309

That would be even worse on your vertebrae than regular sit-ups. In sit-ups, you anchor your feet down and pull with your back, activating the psoas attachment and grinding the vertebrae in your back. With these, you don't even have your feet to anchor down and pull with your hip flexors. It's all back, and I can see this leading to very herky-jerky tendencies in novices.

There's a weird theme against the posterior chain, which are your hamstrings, glutes, and lower back. Your hammies in particular are very important, moreso than the quads for many respects. The workout "Legs and Back" doesn't mean "back" as in your posterior chain, but your upper back, as in your lats. Huh? Does anybody over there know anything about resistance training? Instead of hamstring movements like bootstrappers, there are more pull-ups and chin-ups. There's something called a "deadlift squat", which is deadlifting on one leg, but by itself that diminishes hamstring usage because you'll have to bend your leg more to balance.

The nutritional plan has unexplainable carb cycling periods for no reason. In one phase you'll go low-carb, and the next will introduce carbs again. This is done without increasing fat intake to compensate for the lack of glycogen you'll be experiencing from the low-carb portions"

Attila_

BRoomer
actually, i just recently found a few study that suggest that increased carbohydrate intake improves protein synthesis and muscle growth, even if the protein intake is concurrently lowered. it does explain why i leaned up after I increased my carbs at the expense of protein, at least.

Attila_

BRoomer
in the best physical condition of my life, and my good hamstring gave way during my sprint warmup. no indication, no sign/symptoms, just bang. season over. sh*t is so gay right now.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
in the best physical condition of my life, and my good hamstring gave way during my sprint warmup. no indication, no sign/symptoms, just bang. season over. sh*t is so gay right now.

Attila_

BRoomer
getting it assessed today.

i've pulled my other hamstring before, and quite frankly, it felt exactly the same. except this time i had done everything right, and no indication that an injury was coming.

i'd also qualifed for state competition, and was vying for a spot at nationals, but its gone now. even a minor strain takes about a month to heal; states is in two weeks. not to mention confidence takes forever to get back.

argh so frustrated. its my fourth track accident in three seasons. not really sure what to do with myself anymore.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Damn shmot that stinks. We're back to injury mode at the swf gym :(

Hopefully it wasn't anything like this :scared: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW6dTdSnDtU
Ouch, that just looks painful.

Sorry to about your injury shmot. Didn't you say you were over training awhile ago? Take a break dude, you're working too hard.

Well, some good news for me. My knee seems to be pretty much back to normal. I can jog again without any pain. :D

Attila_

BRoomer
Yeah, I have been overtraining since the track season is almost over, and I wanted to get the most out of it.

Guess it caught up with me.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
My workouts are getting messed up due to my school gym being closed after school everyday >_<

Attila_

BRoomer
had my body fat measured today by someone who knows how to use calipers... 4.7%...

a bit lower than i thought O_o

Top Bottom