• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The next Generation: Pokemon X and Y confirmed

D

Deleted member

Yes. It's the most expensive of the "Battle ____" items, at 200 BP, but it's a nice thing to have if you don't want to spend forever matching up natures and abilities and IVs, or if you've got a Shiny with a bad ability.
Is it a one time use thing or is it permanent?

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I'm kind of surprised that Chesnaught is part Fighting-type, because it looks more like it would be a Grass/Steel-type with that armor.
the water/fire/grass triangle also parallels a dark/psychic/fighting one. The pokemon also resemble the trio RPG archtype of rogue, mage, warrior so it's not surprise to see him be fighting.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I think it's more that Fighting types are normally associated with offense, not defense.

And water, outside of Swift Swim, is not usually associated with pure speed.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Just had a pretty cool in game moment... Ran into a "swarm" of Serviper and Zangoose. I thought they were gonna pile my Pokemon as usual but to my surprise they started attacking each other.
Makes me wonder if there are any other rivalry swarms out there. Got a good laugh out of it regardless.
While I didn't run into that (though I was with a group of my friends earlier and one of them had it happen to them), I did have something that I thought was kind of...hilarious...happen, if only because with odd swarms of multiple kinds of Pokemon I just assume that I broke up some sort of happening.
Four Nidoran Males and a single Nidoran Female.

Also, Reflection Cave is Nuzlocke hell and everything after has been more difficult for one reason or another. I went from only losing the Caterpie near the beginning to losing my Braixen (who was lvl 35 at the time...yeah I was pissed), Pidgeot, Hippopotas, and Tyrunt. The first two were lost to Wobbuffet, Hippopotas was lost to two crits from a Pinsir, and Tyrunt died from a Heracross using Counter.

I'm glad the difficulty was upped suddenly, but I was most definitely not happy about Braixen and Tyrunt. I was really psyched about using them. ;-;

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
the water/fire/grass triangle also parallels a dark/psychic/fighting one. The pokemon also resemble the trio RPG archtype of rogue, mage, warrior so it's not surprise to see him be fighting.
But would the Steel-type also work if the warrior is a knight? Also, unless the typing chart has changed, Dark-types are immune to Psychic-type attacks.

I think it's more that Fighting types are normally associated with offense, not defense.

And water, outside of Swift Swim, is not usually associated with pure speed.
Oddly, Chesnaught has a stronger defense than attack, based on Smogon's information. And there hasn't been a single Water-type to have a base speed that's greater than 115, until now. Of course, Greninja can't get Swift Swim (unless it's an extra ability that it can't normally get), so it would still get outsped by Floatzel and certain Swift Swim users during a heavy rain.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
That was all kinda the point I was trying to get across. Chesnaught being a defensive fighting type/starter (even moreso than Venusaur, Meganium and Torterra) breaks the standards set by previous Grass/Fighting types.

Greninja's not really anything new. Seen a lot of people comparing it to the reprisal of Sceptile, but with more ninja stuff.

IIRC, they confirmed the hidden abilities of each starter. They are as follows:

Chespin - Bullet Proof: Blocks all damage from "Ball/Bomb" attacks.
Fennekin - Magician: Steals enemy item(s) when attacking. Inverse of Pickpocket.
Froakie - Protean: Changes its type to match the move it last used. Basically Conversion as an ability.

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
That was all kinda the point I was trying to get across. Chesnaught being a defensive fighting type/starter (even moreso than Venusaur, Meganium and Torterra) breaks the standards set by previous Grass/Fighting types.

Greninja's not really anything new. Seen a lot of people comparing it to the reprisal of Sceptile, but with more ninja stuff.

IIRC, they confirmed the hidden abilities of each starter. They are as follows:

Chespin - Bullet Proof: Blocks all damage from "Ball/Bomb" attacks.
Fennekin - Magician: Steals enemy item(s) when attacking. Inverse of Pickpocket.
Froakie - Protean: Changes its type to match the move it last used. Basically Conversion as an ability.
They gave Greninja rapid spin. Now it's much closer to Starmie than Sceptile.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Some sources have confirmed that male Pokemon can now pass on their Dream World abilities.

Notice how the Torchic below has Speed Boost, and is female? Prior to this, every Torchic that has Speed Boost can only be male.

However, 100% male and genderless Pokemon may still not be able to pass on their Dream World abilities onto their offspring, as they need to breed with a Ditto to get an egg of their own species. This would basically mean that Rufflet would still not have access to Hustle, Klink can't get Clear Body, and Golett can't have No Guard outside of the 5th generation's Dream World, which will be closed for good in mid-January.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
do we know if it'll work with cross species

like a dw male poke breed with a female regular poke, if the female could have the DW ability

so we could have something like contrary serperior

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
i'd imagine contrary serp would be obtainable without having to cross species

but still, dw abilities being breedable is a hella nice thing

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
does anyone know what a good level to evolve helioptile at is?
Assuming there's a move rememberer guy in this game, you could just wait until some time in the late 40s or early 50s. That'll pretty much ensure that it gets everything it can, and then you can get anything its evolution might have gotten later.

Or just evolve it when it starts to look very not useful. I doubt you'll miss out on any real necessities.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
was just wondering, i don't have a sun stone yet but my kirlia will evolve in 1 level and frogadier will evolve in 2 and i already have venusaur and blaziken, leaving him all by his lonesome

D

Deleted member

Another game with a game breaking glitch... what is it with Nintendo and big budget games like this having game breaking glitches? Anyway, be careful and be warned to not save in this city or else you will freeze there forever and have to start over.

john!

Smash Hero
> finally catch my legendary bird (zapdos)
> immediately try to trade it for an articuno (my favorite pokemon)
> nobody has articuno
> 3 people have zapdos
> all 3 of them are looking for articuno

why is fate so cruel

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I have articuno as my legendary bird and I'd gladly trade it for zapdos

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Another game with a game breaking glitch... what is it with Nintendo and big budget games like this having game breaking glitches? Anyway, be careful and be warned to not save in this city or else you will freeze there forever and have to start over.
Does this apply to the retail versions, AND the eShop versions? If so, that may prove to be a big problem for anyone who has yet to get either version.

D

Deleted member

Does this apply to the retail versions, AND the eShop versions? If so, that may prove to be a big problem for anyone who has yet to get either version.
This is something that I am unsure of as I can't tell from the video.

Whatever the case may be, I recommend that you don't save and quit in Lumiose City and I hope Nintendo can release a patch for this soon.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
This is something that I am unsure of as I can't tell from the video.

Whatever the case may be, I recommend that you don't save and quit in Lumiose City and I hope Nintendo can release a patch for this soon.
Based on the video, this was done with a retail copy. Has there been evidence of this glitch occurring at other regions as well?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I've seen reports that removing the SD card will resolve the glitch. Resetting the game several times has also proven to work for some people. Some other people state that entering the HOME menu during the save's loading also works to fix it.

Both eShop and retail versions have the glitch.

Anyway, Nintendo and Game Freak should release a patch for this. They did the same for Zelda: Skyward Sword (which also had a game breaking bug) and for Mario Kart 7's Wuhu Mountain glitch.

D

Deleted member

Anyway, Nintendo and Game Freak should release a patch for this. They did the same for Zelda: Skyward Sword (which also had a game breaking bug) and for Mario Kart 7's Wuhu Mountain glitch.
They have to release a patch for this. They can't simply ignore a big issue like this.

Based on the video, this was done with a retail copy. Has there been evidence of this glitch occurring at other regions as well?
Knowing that this game was released worldwide, it's safe to say that this glitch is in every region.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I go for the androgynous look.

Really short hair, neutral color eyes (had blue originally, cycling gray and hazel now), only wear pants (not that I have a choice).

The NPCs, specifically the PR Video guy, said that my style was "Elegant."

john!

Smash Hero
white collar shirt with a black fedora and a black feather in my cap #swag

also, it seems like crits only do 1.5x damage in this game. i caught two dittos this way and one had 1.5x the missing health due to a crit. anyone else noticed?

D

Deleted member

Does anyone know where I can catch a Magikarp? I beat 7 gyms already... but I really, REALLY wish that I had one. (I love Gyarados! It's one of my favorite Pokemon!)

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Does anyone know where I can catch a Magikarp? I beat 7 gyms already... but I really, REALLY wish that I had one. (I love Gyarados! It's one of my favorite Pokemon!)
Fish with Old Rod on Routes 3 or 22.

You could check Serebii.net or the Pokédex in-game if you have battled one before...

D

Deleted member

Fish with Old Rod on Routes 3 or 22.

You could check Serebii.net or the Pokédex in-game if you have battled one before...
Well I did find a trainer who had a Magikarp... I heard that they were somewhere but I just dunno where. I heard that they were on Route 8, but all I got were Luvdiscs. (I didn't want to spend a long time on something on a case where a Pokemon would be incredibly hard to find... I simply don't have the patience to)

I don't want to check Serebii now since I want to be surprised about which Pokemon I will encounter.

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
Is anyone here a breeding master?

I'm just wondering if the masuda method still work if both pokemon have English names?

Got me an American scyther and want to breed shineys (NZer BTW)

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
white collar shirt with a black fedora and a black feather in my cap #swag

also, it seems like crits only do 1.5x damage in this game. i caught two dittos this way and one had 1.5x the missing health due to a crit. anyone else noticed?
The 1.5x damage on crits is confirmed.

I normally sport medium brown hair, hazel eyes, olive outdoor hat with black feather, navy and orange zipped shirt, brown slim pants, olive tote bag, and black and white sneakers. Not sure why I love it, but I do.

If you wear an outfit that consists mostly of a specific color of sales tag though, you get different background effects when you go to change. I can only assume there is a significance to it, but I can't figure out what.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The 1.5x damage on crits is confirmed.
I wonder how that'll affect the Sniper ability. Normally, that ability makes critical hits deal 3x the normal damage, but if critical hits only have a 1.5x multiplier, then that would mean that Sniper would only make critical hits deal 2.25x more damage than normal.

From what I understand, Sniper boosts critical hit damage by 50%, so 1.5*1.5=2.25.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
I caught a shiny graveler in horde mode luckily, with them knowing magnitude and the shiny having rock head...

and the Wi-Fi battles are a lot easier with the hacking gone but now people are abusing the no legendary restriction being lifted...

Top Bottom