• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The North Carolina Melee Power Rankings - February 11th, 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxy

Smash Master
Okay, guys. I apologize for traveling around the country seeing doctors for the past couple of weeks, haven't quite had time to read the arguments in this thread until now, and I caught up. I wish I had gotten here sooner.

I have responses to about everything.

Some people have asked, why am I on the panel?

Back in the old panel, Mike and I were added during the same period, and we began participating. From that point I began keeping spreadsheets of tournament results, rankings, and players in the state, trying to retain extensive statistical data. I've continued that since and every rankings period I provide full and analyzed results for the entire period for us to discuss.

Since the first period I was a part of the panel, I've been mainly the only member who continues tracking the results and statistics in-between individual rankings, and I provide everything needed for every discussion. PP, having lead a number of rankings with myself participating, I suppose saw this as meaning that I was the major contributor and decided to give me lead of the panel.

I want to respond about how the rankings work, and why the past period's rankings had issues. First, we do rankings 100% from results. The previous periods are given zero weight, with exceptions in difficult cases, ties in results, or lack of data. After complete results (ideally) are put together by myself, we discuss how to weigh and view all of the intertwined results and come up with a final solution. The following flaws exist in the system: first, despite being exclusively data-oriented, every ranking position seems more convincing data-wise based on the pathos/ethos/logos of the member presenting the idea, hence some positions may be wrong simply due to longer and more detailed persuasive discussions (human flaws do ruin everything). Second, sometimes it is difficult to get complete results in a reasonable time-frame, and some of that was an issue this time.

Now, I want to discuss this period. Regarding me supposedly "leaving out information" with DJ... I want to clear that up. I did specify the loss to DJ in that same tournament that I lost to Cam at. However, we deal with the ENTIRE PERIOD. We have all of the data, but the only sensible way to look at it is over the full period and your results against a certain player in that timeframe. From the beginning of the discussion we are concerned with full-period results, looking at individual tournaments too much (unless they're regional-national) places distracting mental weight on that piece of data. Anyways, no more rambling. My point is that DJ, in the period, was 1-2 against myself, so when it was said that he only beat Cam "in the whole period", it was true. He did not beat me over the period. But he beat me in a specific tournament, which was countered later.

The other mistakes are due to these three things, as far as I can think right now, in order of importance:

1. We had uncertain information about the records at the Duke tournament. This was the biggest detriment, and one of the reasons why Theo is lower than he should be (if I remember correctly, he did well there). We couldn't get our hands on full results from it, so we had to go with some word-of-mouth personal records to partially include the tournament. I'll be the first to admit that I should have waited to discuss the rankings until I got the Tio file from DJ, but considering Mike was urgent to get the rankings done and it's hard to get us together concurrently, we chose to go with what we had.

2. None of the rankings members have any bias, but when discussing rankings, all data can be presented in a persuasive way. Not that we are pushing for ourselves, or for our favorites, but with such (usually) convoluted data, when someone strikes on a sensible-appearing interpretation, sometimes it's easy to go too far down that road, even if it's inaccurate. I'm not speaking of the panel really, but just of the nature of people in general, and how language and communication corrupts statistics. Point 1 is far more significant, but I'm just throwing this out there for those who haven't really given it much thought.

3. Honestly, we could use another un-biased and motivated participant. 3 should be fine, but it's really 98% from me, which despite my statistical focus, still all carries my personal views when I present it, and can do no good. I get and analyze all of the data, and then we discuss it. Karn is rarely a part of discussions, we just give him our list and he mentions his issues and we work it out. Not that he doesn't do his job, he does, but we usually don't get a hold of him when we are discussing. Mike is more involved, discussing at greater length the data and opinions I document, but it's still usually from my perspective, and I feel that if we had another panelist that could balance and share the statistical perspective, we could lose a lot of the human-bias that comes from me initiating most things. I'm assuming DJ would be good for this role and if people think it's a good idea, I would be really happy with adding him.

DJRome

Smash Hero
this post simply reveals more flaws in the pr procedure than i care to detail at this point. i am greatly opposed to a variety of these statistical methods, and they are contrary to what karn presented and what i thought to be the pr method used. as such, i do not care to engage in any deliberation using these methods

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
What ever u said dosent matter. what does matter..... is that my baby boy is ok :)

edit: this is towards foxy, Dj posted faster than me

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
i mean.... i was just kidding about the whole going over there thing.... but i did want to inform yall about it in case no one saw the thread. :/ sorry for trying to be apart of the melee community :(

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
wait, im confused. what are the new pokemon in them?
ofc i will be getting black lololol

null55

Smash Master
well, along with getting 3 infraction points from Mike Gannggstaaaa (hollllaaaa), i typed up a really, really long message disclosing plenty of information for why i believe the current panel is corrupted.

however, after reserving spots for this big *** post, i decided a better thing to do, just to avoid potentially humiliating someone unnecessarily, was to simply blackmail Dr. Pepper, by showing him the post first, and threatening to send it if he didn't re-join the panel. but he called me and told me he had already planned on re-joining it anyway before i did anything.

so there's no point in making anyone feel bad for no reason.

^proof i'm not trolling

sorry for making the hype hollow. PP i sent you the part of my post that was directed just at you just in case you were interested.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
My inbox says otherwise on the sent part.

This was still fun.

Btw, changes are in order, and I'm making some headway with this entire issue that kicked off the flame war in the first place.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
No one has a concept of legitimate fairness around here. It's ridiculous......seriously. It *almost* makes me not even want to come to another tournament when I get the chance. I read the entire thing... Long *** posts + fallacies + hypocritical bs + people twisting things to their own benefit + etc. I've totally refrained from arguing(an argument that I would undoubtedly dominate in addition to offending several people) because judging by the stupid *** horse **** I just read I don't think some of you are even capable to truthfully understand what I would say. I would probably just trigger adolescent hormones and defense mechanisms. So i'll just stick to pointing out that some don't understand what legit fairness is.

DJRome

Smash Hero
^what is this? is there something to gain by acting auperior? i would invite you to scrutinize anyone here rather than sitting on your high horse and pretending you're too good to even waste your time on us. i realize not everyone is exactly perfect in his reasoning, but this post pisses me off

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Dorsey, tournaments and boards activity are totally different. You should keep coming to stuff, but probably ease up on the boards if they bother you so much.

edit: actually....

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
I don't think I was acting superior dj, that's just how I feel. And come on dude, I remember you making a loooooong post a week or two ago that simply reeked of coming off as superior. If you got pissed off then whatever, I'm not accepting your invitation to scrutinize anyone for reasons I already said for not getting involved. Your posts wouldn't even be the ones i'd be scrutinizing anyway.

In regard to the comment about tournament attendance, Yeah... NC's idea of fairness does discourage me to go. And yeah, the boards and irl are CLEARLY different. I guess taking stuff on the boards too literally is almost as stupid as passionately saying whatever you want online then meeting up every other weekend and pretending it never happened.

and looooool at these comments jokingly about me not attending. haha i'll GLADLY not show up if i'm not welcome.

and pp..... the boards don't bother me.

+11 stingers ptz

DJRome

Smash Hero
yes, but i posted with facts and reasoning. the reason i have a problem with that post if that you basically did this:

hey ur wrong im better. but i wont say anything cause im better.

i don't mind if u think ur right or better but it needs some proof or backing to it. it's not to say you may or may not be right, but the *runs away* strat doesn't appeal to me

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
It doesn't take a works cited page to call people out on not being fair. and I didn't specify who I was calling out for obvious reasons.

and I wasn't saying 'you're wrong i'm better'. I was just saying that my efforts would be futile--or my words would fall upon deaf ears of people too consumed in their own ideas of what's right and fair......which I've already seen on this thread. So yes, i'm satisfied with 'running away' at this point.

plus, pp is going to get his way somehow with all of this so how does anything I say even matter?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I have argued with and reached at least some form of agreement with pretty much everyone involved in this ordeal(except maybe Theo, but that argument was derailed by me getting too nitpicky, and I suppose it would be worth restarting discussion with him again if people really think it's necessary), so I'm not trying to get my way so much as understand what people want out of this and try to give it to them(at least partially if I can).

I can't say I enjoy being painted as a selfish child but I'm not going to respond with similar remarks in hopes that I can clean up my image at least a little. I'm sorry you feel that way about me though.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I told you I would attempt to get to bottom of each issue that was part of the faulty PR this time aroun, and I think I said something else that satisfied you, but I forget what it was.

Should I go look back?

Edit: =(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom