• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The North/West Pennsylvania Thread! HSV 3 October 27th!

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
so I mostly hate to bring this up again, but power rankings never really got settled at all after Smashtality IV.

I really don't care, and I'm really tired of the drama, but the fact of the matter is that nothing ever got resolved and I don't think that's fair to the players who's positions were in question. I think that the melee panel really should have another discussion about the rankings in the interest of fairness.

D

Deleted member

I don't know why you'd want a WD back shieldgrab contest, but even if you did we could just sheik ditto instead.

Scar

#HarveyDent
I don't care when it's done, as I've said I'm happy with the list so I suppose everyone who isn't should show some initiative, since I was the one who basically did everything for the 08/08/08 list.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
what if u just put up the current list that was there when they agreed on it before in august and remake it again after the ANMC

Takumaru

Smash Lord
I don't think I filled out the official paper work for this thread correctly...

Takumaru
AIM: Izumijitakumaru
E-mail: N/A
Cell#: N/A
I'm a student at Univerity of The Sciences for with a major in physical therapy. I just picked melee again after months and months of not playing it. Umm... I actually enjoy playing brawl.

xyt

Smash Lord
so I mostly hate to bring this up again, but power rankings never really got settled at all after Smashtality IV.

I really don't care, and I'm really tired of the drama, but the fact of the matter is that nothing ever got resolved and I don't think that's fair to the players who's positions were in question. I think that the melee panel really should have another discussion about the rankings in the interest of fairness.
I don't care when it's done, as I've said I'm happy with the list so I suppose everyone who isn't should show some initiative, since I was the one who basically did everything for the 08/08/08 list.

Your fellow panelist just clearly stated that the melee panel should have another discussion about it. So make it happen please.

Scar

#HarveyDent
I am not going to do everything like I did last time, since I literally did everything to make rankings happen. Someone else step up, I think we should have a new panel and I recommend

Swift/Scar/Pakman (veterans)
Mogwai (consultant since he's retired and in CT)
Taki or Sheik (Pittsburgh new guy)
GOTM (Philly new guy)

Any other regions that want to be represented (PA smash has basically boiled down to philly and pittsburgh...) should volunteer a panelist.

D20

Smash Lord
Evan is better than GOTM. This isn't a Pittsburgh bias... Evan destroyed GOTM at Smashtastrophe I. He has been to enough tournaments in the ranking period, too. I think Evan, Sheik, and myself are all at the same level. I think the bottom half of the list should look like this...

6. Mogwai
7. Takieddine
8. D20
8. HARM (or dead-aim... I dunno what his tag is now)
8. xyt

However, I'm not smart/cool enough to be a panelist.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
i also wouldnt mind stepping up to be a panelist.

the main prob with these rankings is that the period is too big and something needs to be dealt with that. come on, you cant bring up someone ***** gotm at tash1, i can say without doubt that gotm (along with myself lol) has increased a ridiculous amount since then. that was what, like 7 months ago or something? aren't ranking periods like every 3 months normally?

shouldnt current rankings atleast somewhat be based off current skill? its tough to decide cause we need some sort of backup proof, but with rankings at this point, we need to consider skill changes in players like mogwai, gotm, myself, and more

D20

Smash Lord
Taki... show me GOTM's. If we're going to play that game, the list should be cut to nine.

Also, Sheik and Swift had MMs with Evan within the last week. Ask them how good Evan is.

takieddine

Smash Master
Honestly you dont have a valid argument rob as evan hasnt played smash since smashtastrophe II

Remember the point of the rankings is TOURNAMENT preformance.

D20

Smash Lord
Right... because his MMs the other day were dreams. I'm obviously correct because my character is level 70. What was yours again?

PockyD is right. However, debates are fun.

pockyD

Smash Legend
no reason not to discuss it

but also no reason to post an 'official' list based on nothing

you can discuss/compare skill without producing a list in the end -_-

D

Deleted member

here's my list:

1. me
1. javi
1. D20
1. Cactuar
1. Scar
1. Pakman
1. LK
1. Javi
1. GOTM
1. triad
1. taki
1. mogWAI
1. bass
1. ultimatescrotum
1. SHEIK
1. m2k
1. renth
1. HARM
1. idk, magus420
2. non-TSA New Jersey

screw you, dumpster state!

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
here's my list:

1. me
1. javi
1. D20
1. Cactuar
1. Scar
1. Pakman
1. LK
1. Javi
1. GOTM
1. triad
1. taki
1. mogWAI
1. bass
1. ultimatescrotum
1. SHEIK
1. m2k
1. renth
1. HARM
1. idk, magus420
2. non-TSA New Jersey

screw you, dumpster state!
lol, I like how you have Bass, M2K, Renth and UltimaScrotum on there despite them not being in PA :p. Also, this list gave you 10 cool points in my book.

PS. holy shit, you meant Swiftbass, didn't you? There was a player in NJ named Bass, don't confuse me like that, it's either Swift or Swiftbass, not Bass :p.

EDIT: also, you forgot JAVI on there.

Evan is better than GOTM. This isn't a Pittsburgh bias... Evan destroyed GOTM at Smashtastrophe I. He has been to enough tournaments in the ranking period, too. I think Evan, Sheik, and myself are all at the same level. I think the bottom half of the list should look like this...

6. Mogwai
7. Takieddine
8. D20
8. HARM (or dead-aim... I dunno what his tag is now)
8. xyt

However, I'm not smart/cool enough to be a panelist.
You are too smart and cool to be a panelist.

There is a long list of players that would also require consideration for the list if it weren't for an (admittedly blurry) activity requirement. Players like Will and Dot-Eater and Mow and Velocity have been removed from consideration on the Melee list due to not going to tournies enough. Evan's case is difficult because he does go to local tournaments fairly consistently, but never seems to travel any more. We excluded Will from rankings for the same reason and as much as I think Evan deserves recognition for getting better (he never ceases to impress me when I've gotten to play him), it's hard to rank him based on solely local tournaments and MMs. Again, this is meant in no way to discredit his skill or improvement, I think you're spot on in saying that he's in the same league of player that you and sheik are in, but without a large enough sampling of tournies, I don't think he can be ranked.

But, I'm not going to pretend to know everything he's been to, so why don't you post or PM his tourney results over the course of 2008 + notable MM/tourney wins so that we can be well informed in making that sort of decision?

D

Deleted member

bass is cool. coolest player ever to quit smash IMO is ffrost. No one knows who that is =/

I am still good at melee, and I attended and won 4 out of 4 tournaments last spring. Over the summer I had no opportunities to attend any tournaments, something I plan to rectify somewhat this fall, and probably more in the spring. I also produced probably the most quality zelda play I've ever had taped of myself, something I'm very proud of (I really dislike being taped).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj4jLVVAYXI

GOTM

Smash Champion
lol at stash 1 i hadnt played melee in like FOREVER, lolz

it was a tourney though, but i mean w/e. no johns. i did seriously stop playing smash for like a WHILE before that, and that was my first tourney after i decided to start playing again

Scar

#HarveyDent
Evan was better than GOTM. Yes it is Pittsburgh bias. A lot has changed since then.

Edit: and the tons of people putting Sheik over D20 are doing so because they claim Sheik to be a better player even though D20 has by far a more impressive tournament record. I'm doing the same thing with GOTM, it's a very easy thing to understand when you put it in context.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
Evan was better than GOTM. Yes it is Pittsburgh bias. A lot has changed since then.

Edit: and the tons of people putting Sheik over D20 are doing so because they claim Sheik to be a better player even though D20 has by far a more impressive tournament record. I'm doing the same thing with GOTM, it's a very easy thing to understand when you put it in context.
Well, I dunno about by far a more impressive tournament record. Working under the impression that their tournament records are comparable, I'd put Sheik above D20, but in the face of a glaring disparity in their tournament record, I'd be happy to give D20 the spot. And that's sorta the whole point of using objective evidence to justify positions, because if the tons of people putting Sheik above D20 (are tons of people really of this opinion? I thought it was pretty split on who's better) were to complain, we, as the panel, would be able to just point at their tournament records and be justified.

Anyway, my opinion of Sheik getting the 8 spot and D20 getting the 9 is based entirely on their tournament records being fairly comparable and just giving sheik the edge based on my purely subjective opinion. If you can take away the comparable tournament records assumption, my mind can be easily changed.

Top Bottom