• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The North/West Pennsylvania Thread! HSV 3 October 27th!

UltimaScout

Smash Lord
For the 2nd Edition of PA Brawl Rankings it should go like
PA Brawl Rankings 2

1. Velocity/Vex Kasrani
2. Vex Kasrani/ Velocity
3. Xzax
4. ChiboSempai
5. Rogue Pit
6. Pav
7. UlitmaScout
8. Cless
9. Beat
10. Coldkilr
please dont make posts like this. besides the fact that were no where near making a new rankings list, this has been discussed with minimal people, and you are missing A LOT of people, and various data that would prove the rankings to be otherwise.
Yarly... I'm not #1

GrammarPolice

Smash Rookie
Not as long as one of my secondaries are DDD.
"One" is the noun in your sentence there, not "secondaries." "Of my secondaries" is a prepositional phrase used to modify "one" to describe which "one" you're talking about. As such, the proper verb should be "is" not "are."

In cases like this (ones with prepositional phrases) try removing the prepositional phrase and see if your sentence sounds correct.

In this case:

"Not as long as one are DDD"

This makes spotting the grammatical error much easier, and as such, let's us correct it quickly:

"Not as long as one is DDD"

Adding the prepositional phrase back in:

"Not as long as one of my secondaries is DDD"

This mistake is commonly made by trusting grammar checking tools in word processing applications such as Microsoft Word, and is why you should always double check your grammar even after letting the application check it for you.

pockyD

Smash Legend
Not as long as one of my secondaries are DDD.
"One" is the noun in your sentence there, not "secondaries."
That is not even a "sentence".

In cases like this (one's (sic) with prepositional phrases), try removing the prepositional phrase and see if your sentence sounds correct.

In this case:

"Not as long."

...or possibly even...

"Not."

This mistake is commonly made by pretentious jerkbags.

BrawlLover

Smash Champion
"One" is the noun in your sentence there, not "secondaries." "Of my secondaries" is a prepositional phrase used to modify "one" to describe which "one" you're talking about. As such, the proper verb should be "is" not "are."

In cases like this (one's with prepositional phrases) try removing the prepositional phrase and see if your sentence sounds correct.

In this case:

This makes spotting the grammatical error much easier, and as such, let's us correct it quickly:

This mistake is commonly made by trusting grammar checking tools in word processing applications such as Microsoft Word, and is why you should always double check your grammar even after letting the application check it for you.
let's have the sex, your move

GrammarPolice

Smash Rookie
That is not even a "sentence".

In cases like this (one's (sic) with prepositional phrases), try removing the prepositional phrase and see if your sentence sounds correct.

In this case:

"Not as long."

...or possibly even...

"Not."

This mistake is commonly made by pretentious jerkbags.
Thank you, I'll look out for that one in the future.

GrammarPolice

Smash Rookie
Rats, I thought this would lead to a funner argument
Sorry to disappoint you. I'm willing to acknowledge when my posts are not as technically sound as one would expect from the grammar police and this is such an occasion. I wish you luck in your search for a "funner (sic)" argument.

UltimaScout

Smash Lord

In cases like this (ones with prepositional phrases) try removing the prepositional phrase and see if your sentence sounds correct.

In this case:

You isn't not the GrammerPopo. IF anybody heard you speak to that in real life then you would obviously be laughed right out of the room cause of it.i personally am quite ecksquisite and am worthy of thy name. Back up son.

TheLake

Smash Master
Sorry to disappoint you. I'm willing to acknowledge when my posts are not as technically sound as one would expect from the grammar police and this is such an occasion. I wish you luck in your search for a "funner (sic)" argument.
I may have found my new favorite smasher on boards.

I will continue to lurk everywhere I can every day (Like i always do) just to see this man (or woman?!) in action.

*lurks in a corner*

AlexoftheAura

yaylatias.gif
NNID
AlexoftheAura
AlexoftheAura(in-game:Hebi, irl:Alex)
Yahoo:mikauthezora13 E-mail:mikauthezora13@yahoo.com
County:Northumberland
Area:Central
Main:Lucario
I play casually due to some strange force that causes important band events to fall on the days of tournies,also being 15 sucks when there are none in the immediate area that can be attended.

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
I play casually due to some strange force that causes important band events to fall on the days of tournies,also being 15 sucks when there are none in the immediate area that can be attended.
Ha, ha, you're in a band. Aww, wait, I'm in a band too, a college band nonetheless. Ah well, good news is that I have only one mandatory football game to go to this year and it's this Saturday, in which I don't think there are tournies. Woo for going to Inui's tournament on the 22nd.

P.S. Brawllover, can you send me a PM with your address and a way to get there from a train station? I have this lingering feeling that you are LOL-Master in disguise and thus would never actually play Brawl, but Melee is awesome too once I get the skills for it.

pockyD

Smash Legend
Yeah it's a word but it's not correct and proper grammar, which is exactly what a grammar policeman is paid to uphold.
If you concede that it is a word, then how is it incorrect?

Given that it is a word, present me with one "correct" usage of 'funner'

GrammarPolice

Smash Rookie
Yeah it's a word but it's not correct and proper grammar, which is exactly what a grammar policeman is paid to uphold.

PockyD is correct under the assumption that "funner" is in fact a word. However, it saddens me to think of a word where children grow up thinking that "soccer is funner than baseball," as such a statement will always hurt my ears, regardless of which dictionaries decide to pander to the poor grammar of many. For the record, Microsoft Word's spell checker still doesn't recognize "funner" as a word, so I'd be surprised if "funner's" status as a word was unanimously accepted. I would like to find a copy of the latest edition of the Oxford English Dictionary to see how far "funner's" acceptance has reached.

AlexoftheAura

yaylatias.gif
NNID
AlexoftheAura
Ha, ha, you're in a band. Aww, wait, I'm in a band too, a college band nonetheless. Ah well, good news is that I have only one mandatory football game to go to this year and it's this Saturday, in which I don't think there are tournies. Woo for going to Inui's tournament on the 22nd.
w00t GO BAND!!!:chuckle:

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
PockyD is correct under the assumption that "funner" is in fact a word. However, it saddens me to think of a word where children grow up thinking that "soccer is funner than baseball," as such a statement will always hurt my ears, regardless of which dictionaries decide to pander to the poor grammar of many. For the record, Microsoft Word's spell checker still doesn't recognize "funner" as a word, so I'd be surprised if "funner's" status as a word was unanimously accepted. I would like to find a copy of the latest edition of the Oxford English Dictionary to see how far "funner's" acceptance has reached.
apparently Merriam-Webster also recognizes ain't as a word :p

ain't it funner to change language than to learn it? hahaha

I've decided to open the point up for 2nd review, if the OED doesn't recognize funner, Grammar Police will have scored a point

GrammarPolice

Smash Rookie
The current version of the Oxford English Dictionary does not recognize “funner” as a word. Regardless, Merriam Webster does recognize it, so it appears to be a point of contention among experts of the English language. As such, I took it upon myself to research the topic.

The issue of whether "funner" and "funnest" are words appears to have been thrust into the public eye with Steve Jobs' keynote address at Apple's "Let's Rock" event in San Francisco this past September. Jobs is quoted as saying, "this is the funnest (sic) iPod ever," while unveiling a new ad campaign with the slogan, "The funnest (sic) iPod ever." This has sparked debate among many grammar enthusiasts about whether "funnest" and "funner" are in fact words. The responses vary from progressive minds accepting the words as the next logical step in the evolution of "fun," to hardliners who refuse to budge on the propriety of "funnest" and "funner." While there are merits to accepting "funner" and "funnest," I doubt that I will ever be able hear those "words" without cringing. As such, I find myself on the side of the hardliners here, but I'll grudgingly accept that the matter is up for debate due to the fact that "fun" has become acceptable to most English experts as an adjective as well as a noun.

pockyD

Smash Legend
...well their's a fun fact
Edit: I'm irrationally satisfied with this post. I count 6.5, not counting punctuation or "barlw"
irregardless i could of cared less. arguing things like this are more pointless then playing barlw

Scar

#HarveyDent

There are none.

apparently Merriam-Webster also recognizes ain't as a word :p
It is a word, and is never used properly.

irregardless i could of cared less. arguing things like this are more pointless then playing barlw
...could have* cared less.

Top Bottom