• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The official captain falcon's potential discussion thread

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
He's not your friend, pal!
He's not your pal, mate!

on topic:
I thought about something:
what if one uses Dair on a grounded opponent and the jump up and footstool them in their hitstun to falcon kick

this may be farfetched and pure speculation atm but it could be possible?

Tenki

Smash Hero
an aerial footstool>falcon kick should work.

I do aerial footstool>Sonic D-air all the time, so yeah.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
He's not your pal, mate!

on topic:
I thought about something:
what if one uses Dair on a grounded opponent and the jump up and footstool them in their hitstun to falcon kick

this may be farfetched and pure speculation atm but it could be possible?
an aerial footstool>falcon kick should work.

I do aerial footstool>Sonic D-air all the time, so yeah.
Falcon Kick does have significant startup; it might go over their head (since the footstool will push them down).

Tenki

Smash Hero
Can someone give out Falcon Punch frame data?

It's just a.... little something that I wanna see for myself

normal FP and reverse FP data (startup lag, hitbox out, and ending frames)

Roager

Smash Ace
Tenki:If I remember right (and I probably don't) FP and RFP have the same hitbox and ending times, but the startup is off by about 15 frames, or something like that.

Wogrim: Aerial Footstool to Falcon Kick should work, cuz the lag isn't too terribly long, it's a fairly steep angle, and the hitbox is fairly big. Big enough, anyway.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Yeah, I figured they were the same during/after the punch.

I'd still like to know what frame it comes out.

Zeallyx

I updated the falcon kick>ledgecancel possibilities topic with new info :)

LinIsKorean

Smash Journeyman
Falcon's potential will ultimately be in the hands of the player. We all know us CF mains are going to have to work a lot harder than MK or Snake mains to win or even place in tournaments, but the satisfaction of knowing you earned your win with the "worst" character in the metagame is a great feeling. That being said, just because he sucks doesn't mean we can't bring him some glory come tournament time. Like I said, its going to take a heck of a lot more work than some of the other charactrs, but its possible.

More on topic : Dash Attacks followed by an UTilt seem to work nicely on certain characters. Of course, this is assuming they don't jump out immediately, but its been working for me.

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
I literally see Captain Falcon as a character that brings out a players true potential in the game, since he has changed game mechanics and is claimed to be 100% nerfed in all moves. Remember that Captain Falcon is only as good as you are, I mean I could depend on the priority of his moves. But the majority of it comes from myself, therefore if my decisions, reflexes, co-ordination and etc. were better. Then Captain Falcon would seem better, what I am trying to say is that Captain Falcon focuses more on the players skill. Not the character itself, the study that your fellow Falcon mainers just give you some stylistic manly points for your possesion of our father Douglas Jay Falcon. It is YOU that gives him his major sexy times, so please make him proud (hope you get my post people)

Zeallyx

I literally see Captain Falcon as a character that brings out a players true potential in the game, since he has changed game mechanics and is claimed to be 100% nerfed in all moves. Remember that Captain Falcon is only as good as you are, I mean I could depend on the priority of his moves. But the majority of it comes from myself, therefore if my decisions, reflexes, co-ordination and etc. were better. Then Captain Falcon would seem better, what I am trying to say is that Captain Falcon focuses more on the players skill. Not the character itself, the study that your fellow Falcon mainers just give you some stylistic manly points for your possesion of our father Douglas Jay Falcon. It is YOU that gives him his major sexy times, so please make him proud (hope you get my post people)
lol amen XD

Hiza

Smash Apprentice
On the subject of potential,

let me begin by saying, my name is Hiza, im a longtime player, but have only been maining falcon for a month, I took him to a Southwestern tourney and actually did well. I find him extremely fun to use, and enjoy the fact that no matter the matchup, it will always be an uphill battle. Also its fun to use a character that people dont take seriously, mindgames and all that...plus you get a ton of respect using a character that is supposed to be the worst.

anyway, i have noticed among these boards that an "AT" (it may just be a nifty move, not really an AT) has gone unmentioned. it is what i now call the "Falcon Dash" let me explain;

when you use Cpt Falcon's over-B (or "falcon razor") he does something interesting if you can get the edge of the stage just right....

He will freaking slide, wavedash, whatever you want to call it, OVER 2 dashing paces back onto the stage! Its sexy as hell, and easy to pull a shield or scroll out of, spaces the crap out of people, and is never expected.

I teeter on the edge of Homosexuality everytime I pull it off. I cant do a vid right now, so heres an award winning diagram:

FALCOM DAESH!

The Stage <------- You'll just land and LAG.
______________________________ <------- You'll dash.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXl
___________________________ l <------- You'll grab the edge.
oooooooooooooooooooooooooo l
__________________________l <------- You'll just die.

so go try it out for your self.

LinIsKorean

Smash Journeyman
lol, interesting diagrams Hiza. I believe I have done what you've just described, and I'm not really sure if its at AT, its just using DI to control where Falcon will Dive.

Zeallyx

On the subject of potential,

let me begin by saying, my name is Hiza, im a longtime player, but have only been maining falcon for a month, I took him to a Southwestern tourney and actually did well. I find him extremely fun to use, and enjoy the fact that no matter the matchup, it will always be an uphill battle. Also its fun to use a character that people dont take seriously, mindgames and all that...plus you get a ton of respect using a character that is supposed to be the worst.

anyway, i have noticed among these boards that an "AT" (it may just be a nifty move, not really an AT) has gone unmentioned. it is what i now call the "Falcon Dash" let me explain;

when you use Cpt Falcon's over-B (or "falcon razor") he does something interesting if you can get the edge of the stage just right....

He will freaking slide, wavedash, whatever you want to call it, OVER 2 dashing paces back onto the stage! Its sexy as hell, and easy to pull a shield or scroll out of, spaces the crap out of people, and is never expected.

I teeter on the edge of Homosexuality everytime I pull it off. I cant do a vid right now, so heres an award winning diagram:

FALCOM DAESH!

The Stage <------- You'll just land and LAG.
______________________________ <------- You'll dash.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXl
___________________________ l <------- You'll grab the edge.
oooooooooooooooooooooooooo l
__________________________l <------- You'll just die.

so go try it out for your self.
if with over b you mean up b, this is already known..a long time:p

Zeallyx

he meant over B, you seriously slide if you sweetspot the edge, also up B is falcon dive, not falcon razor. read more carefully.
I might have missed something
what is the falcon razor? you mean raptor boost?
*is confused*
and even if you mean raptor boost, it is still already known..at least I knew XD

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
K will I be the one to end this discussion??

Falcon as of this point has very minimal potential..........but so does the rest of the cast, this game is very new and there may be time for something to break into the competitive scene, but as for now we don't have much potential. The only characters that have potential are the top-tiers (not high, only top) because they have their meta-game already evolved to a point that exceeds everyone else. As for now, the only way for Falcon or any other high-low tier to unlock potential is through time or by good players.

jehonaker

Smash Cadet
Falcon as of this point has very minimal potential..........but so does the rest of the cast,
...okay, I firmly disagree with this statement.
"Potential" is merely how good they can be once their metagame is fully evolved. Several characters are seen as having "potential", the ability to be a lot better if someone comes along and pulls a "Chu Dat" with them. Toon Link and the Ice Climbers are perfect examples of this...on paper, they should maim just about everyone, but nobody has managed to exploit their full efficacy.

With that definition out of the way...how much potential does Capt. Falcon have?
If I were to look at the current Low Tier, I would say that Falcon might be better than Ganondorf, Link, Jigglypuff, and Sonic. That's really it.
Falcon just has so many problems, one needs to abuse perpetually the few advantages he has. He does have some high points, mainly in that he's not starved for power and that he can close the gap quickly to try and limit camping.
I don't think Falcon's the worst character in the game, when all is said and done, but he comes **** close.

Player-3

Smash Hero
Hey guys theres this thing my friend calls the omega combo just as a joke, but its pretty funny

Its Raptor Boost -> Raptor Dive -> Falcon Punch

If the DI right... its quite funny, because you knock them up, blast them away, and pawnch them lolo

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
I'm uniformed regarding Captain Falcon, but from what i hear (and think myself), he'll probably end up as 2nd or 3rd worst at best. If we can see some really good Falcons sprout from nowhere, maybe he could find himself a position at 4th. Either way, though, his potential stops at 5th worst.

Face124

Smash Ace
Edinburgh. Pm for a Brawl and I'll get back to you
THE FALCON!!! Is higher on the rankings list now. I think he definately has the potential to go up instead of being the worst in the game.
Bear in mind these results are not solid at all. Wait until more have come in so we have a broader view. I certainly hope that they wil make some difference to his placement on the next list (January 5th), but facts are facts, and people in the SBR are going to realise this.

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
With everything discovered so far, he is going to go up. He'll probably pass G-dorf, but not link.

The fact is, he is too versatile to be bottom of bottom. There is only room for improvement and thats what has been happening.

Top Bottom