• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Chaingrabbing Thread.

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
@rehab
yes you can still tech it

@bomb
which character where you playing because iirc D3 has an infinite on wolf but only at the edge.

maxmillion

Smash Rookie
In my opinion chain grabs should NOT be banned I think there suppost to be in the game... And not all character can be chaingrabbed.

Talonzz

Smash Cadet
I don't know if this is considered a chaingrab, but wolf can continously d-throw repeat a few fast-falling or large characters. It's kind of difficult to pull off, but it will be eventually be done

As soon as I get a capture card, I will show this.

Ballistaboy

Smash Journeyman
yeah. the D3 infinites don't break the game or over-centralize the game either.

as for the falco chaingrab->spike, you can't tech the dthrow. you SDI towards the stage after the spike and tech it. ill go find a vid right now

EDIT: here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFgf2EKYB4g
Thank you dude. I love you lol. No homo.

I see what u mean now and he was doing it really close to the edge. Should I DI up also so i dont fall as fast making it harder for him to spike me in general?

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
Thank you dude. I love you lol. No homo.

I see what u mean now and he was doing it really close to the edge. Should I DI up also so i dont fall as fast making it harder for him to spike me in general?
depending on the character you play, the spike is almost guaranteed if you are at around 40-45%, you can try to airdodge, but it will still most likely hit you before you regain control of the character, if you are at higher %, then you can try all sorts of DI and AD and the spike most likely won't hit you unless you screwed up somehow.

Denzi

Smash Master
depending on the character you play, the spike is almost guaranteed if you are at around 40-45%, you can try to airdodge, but it will still most likely hit you before you regain control of the character, if you are at higher %, then you can try all sorts of DI and AD and the spike most likely won't hit you unless you screwed up somehow.
Yeah, a lot of the lighter chain grabable characters can DI down and away after the CG to just avoid the spike alltogether. The airdodge isn't even necessary.

voomm

Smash Apprentice
c falcons was epic in melee they cant be banned nintendo will just nerf them

Mattsy

Smash Apprentice
To be honest, a lot of chaingrabs aren't even much worse than some combos (I call them combos, though I've been told time and time again that they're not). If someone finds a 0% inescapable chaingrab (I've minimal knowledge of the Icies' CGs, so perhaps I'm way off here) they shouldn't be banned. No matter what chaingrabbing D3s I've faced, none of them have ever killed me direct from the chaingrab, and many others are fully counterable.

The point, minus the digression, is that chaingrabs to me just seem like repetivive manoeuvres.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
DDD can't kill with dthrow, not at 100~% that is

That's exactly what they are Mattsy, repetitive manoeuvers to rack up damage and potentially kill their opponent.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Don't know if we went over this, but Wario can CG bowser with his down throw. Not sure of other characters, I know most can DI out of it.
Everyone else can DI out pretty easily.
Wario is more of a stringer than a chainer

IrArby

Smash Ace
Ice climbers can chain grab everyone.
Not to be picky, but ICs can't CG anyone. They can Infinite everyone if certain stringent requirements are met including the unlikely prerequisit that they get the initial grab. Their grab sucks balls.

Man, I leave Smashboards for like 15 mins and they go and close the D3 thread. Oh wells.

Also, if any of you D3 thread guys go to this thread, are we gonna do the new thread with the OP containing both sides arguments? I'd just like to know as a matter of interest.

@Hylian: Since you read every page of the D3 thread and you know what I'm referring to, I wonder if you think the new thread is neccesary or advisable. I'd value your opinion on this if you happen to see this post. On the plus side we wouldn't have to hang on to the closed thread or search through all of it to find certain arguments.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Not to be picky, but ICs can't CG anyone. They can Infinite everyone if certain stringent requirements are met including the unlikely prerequisit that they get the initial grab. Their grab sucks balls.

Man, I leave Smashboards for like 15 mins and they go and close the D3 thread. Oh wells.

Also, if any of you D3 thread guys go to this thread, are we gonna do the new thread with the OP containing both sides arguments? I'd just like to know as a matter of interest.

@Hylian: Since you read every page of the D3 thread and you know what I'm referring to, I wonder if you think the new thread is neccesary or advisable. I'd value your opinion on this if you happen to see this post. On the plus side we wouldn't have to hang on to the closed thread or search through all of it to find certain arguments.
I think it would be better to just PM me all the information and I will put it in the first post. I will also update the first post with information on all CG's as they come up. I've got IC's covered but if people want to send me nice displayable info/arguments to put in the first post then feel free.

This weekend I have a huge tournament to attend but I will attend to this soon.

Edit: You can also just post the information in this thread and I can put a link in the first page to the post so it doesn't clutter the first post while still displaying the information.

IrArby

Smash Ace
Sure thing. Only, I think Yuna has all the D3 infinite arguments info so I'm waiting for him to respond to this also. I think I might pm him anyway to let him know. He hasn't said anything about it to me at least since the day he recieved pms from everyone so . . .

But thanks for the suggestions that should work fine. I'd just like something helpful to others come out of that thread really.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Was chain grabbing a mistake in the game?
I honestly believe that chaingrabbing wasn't a mistake, the infinite cg's are.

I mean, yeah, its okay to have one move link together 3 times, I mean, hey, uptilts can be chained a lot of the time anyways, but any kind of infinite is a mistake.

Nintendo did not intend for one move to be able to kill a player. That reminds me of this old snes game I played, where jab->dash->jab->dash... was a infinite. Lets just say we didn't play it after finding this out, because it turned into a lame-fest.

However, Brawl is not a cg-fest YET. I refuse to support banning CG's until a big tournament has a bunch of people infinite their way to the top.

bobson

Smash Lord
So I guess transferring the infinite discussion into the "post here and we will pretend to acknowledge your silly little opinions" thread is an implicit "Yeah, no, not gonna happen" on the question of its banning?

IrArby

Smash Ace
Pretty much, but more so because everything had effectively been discussed. It was very redundant and for some reason everyone started talking about their personal attributes and stuff we were into towards the very end. I mean don't get me wrong how many debates end with people on both sides talking about such normal things so communilly (if thats a word) so on the whole it was a good end.

IrArby

Smash Ace
I really didn't find anything in it. Just subjectivity. I think anchovies and deviled eggs should be banned.

Why? Well you can only assume that its because I don't like them unless I actually give you reasons. For him to post and basically say nothing was a flaw unto itself. Its a discussion thread not a put your two cents in thread.

Xona

Smash Apprentice
1st of all, how easy or difficult a move is has nothing to do with whether the move should be banned. if it over-centralize the metagame or breaks it, we ban it no matter how "hard" it is. the infinites don't over-centralize, so even though they are easy to pull off, a ban isn't warranted.

and 2nd, falco's CG -> spike isn't 0-death anymore. it's techable.
Falco's Cg shouldn't be banned Because It CAN BE ESCAPED. Also, didn't Dedede's infinite ban stages!? A technique that bans stages and creates up to 5 unwinnable match-ups is definitely ban-worthy! Yes, 5. Why 5? Yes, if you're Overswarm, you (supposedly) could escape it with Mario, Samus and Luigi. But what if the Dedede can mash that fast too?! Then you WILL BE INFINITED!

Dedede's infinite's also the only real reason both walls and walk-offs are banned. Ice Climbers have an infinite on all characters anyway, also avoidable in 3 ways. Laser-lock and jab-lock can be avoided even after the initial attack. You can either a.) airdodge or b.) tech. (although ease of use is irrelevant to me too, I agree with you there)

(directed at everyone) Also, if you want to quote Sirlin all the time, then watch his SSBB tutorial video on Shields and grabs, he says his oppinion of this tactic there. I'll edit in the link later.

bobson

Smash Lord
Falco's Cg shouldn't be banned Because It CAN BE ESCAPED. Also, didn't Dedede's infinite ban stages!? A technique that bans stages and creates up to 5 unwinnable match-ups is definitely ban-worthy! Yes, 5. Why 5? Yes, if you're Overswarm, you (supposedly) could escape it with Mario, Samus and Luigi. But what if the Dedede can mash that fast too?! Then you WILL BE INFINITED!
No, no, no. Even with frame perfect accuracy on Dedede's part, it still doesn't become an infinite until 653% on those three. Human threshold is more around 150-200% (Reflex has done it consistently over 100% if you want proof). I do it consistently around 80-90% and my tech skill is shaky at best.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I'm grab happy, this is true. I play as Dededee and Ice Climbers.

Can you use your pivot grab to change the direction of your basic dthrow chain grab for both characters? I've only tried this momentarily and have not yet fully looked into it, but I would like to know if anyone else has tested this yet.

bobson

Smash Lord
Can you use your pivot grab to change the direction of your basic dthrow chain grab for both characters? I've only tried this momentarily and have not yet fully looked into it, but I would like to know if anyone else has tested this yet.
If you could do this you could theoretically just pivot grab them back and forth for an infinite, so I'm guessing no.

Or30

Smash Cadet
I Say that we should Consider a deeper look into D3's ChainGrab, so that maybe just maybe we get a Conclusion, I Mean, I've lost Tournaments just because a selfproclaimed "Pro" uses D3's ChainGrab(instead of using D3 as a Real Pro) And I've lost just because of the ChainGrab:ohwell:

Top Bottom