• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Chaingrabbing Thread.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
Chain grabs shouldn't be banned.
Anyone who says otherwise better give a good 15 page argument as to why.

Theres tons of ways to get around chain grabbing. And some characters are un-chain grabbable.

Edit: thanks for the sticky, btw.
I agree, they shouldn't be banned, just the stages where you can back them into the wall, like Shadow Moses Island. It would suck if you were winning a match with Dedede or Falco and you used down throw 3 times in a row or something, and you got disqualified. But it's really cheap at stages with walls, especially with Dedede since you can do a downsmash immediately after it's over.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
There is already a conclusion. The regular chaingrab just does a fair amount of damage to most characters.

Bowser has a grab-release -> grab chaingrab against Dedede. Get over it.

DK is actually a good character, unlike the other four. He has more tools to get around it with basic stuff than the others. Get over it.

Mario, Luigi, and Samus have to be grab pummeled each time for it to be a real infinite chaingrab. I play Wario, who has it ten times worse, from half the characters in the game. Get over it.

If I can get a release at 129% against Mew2King, you can do it, too. Just practice and find your best method for mashing.

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
Chain grabs shouldn't be banned.
Anyone who says otherwise better give a good 15 page argument as to why.

Theres tons of ways to get around chain grabbing. And some characters are un-chain grabbable.

Edit: thanks for the sticky, btw.
Says the Ice Climber <_<
I wouldn't expect you to say anything otherwise......BUT chaingrabbing is pretty lame I don't think it should be banned...although I think infinites should be banned.

IrArby

Smash Ace
Its a competitive element that adds depth to a game greatly in need of depth. It doesn't break the game or overcentralize it. It makes a few matchups Bowser's matchup with D3 (already very bad) and DK's matchup with D3 (the only outright infinite of the bunch) bad. Bad matchups are part of the game. It doesn't meet the criteria for banning. Why should we? ICs aren't exacly winning major tournaments left right and center so why should we bother with that either? Saying something is cheap is not an argument we find relevant to competitive gaming.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Look, we're not gonna have chaingrabs banned unless there is a huge outburst of tourney winners who FAIL at everything but chaingrabbing.:chuckle:

A quick question: who are the most resistant characters to DDD's Chaingrabbing? I don't play enough DDD's to find out.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Look, we're not gonna have chaingrabs banned unless there is a huge outburst of tourney winners who FAIL at everything but chaingrabbing.:chuckle:

A quick question: who are the most resistant characters to DDD's Chaingrabbing? I don't play enough DDD's to find out.
Characters who can tech it.
Am I right? (Serious question)
When I get chain grabbed by DDD with some characters, they bounce against the floor, allowing me to tech =/

misterpimp5757

Smash Ace
correct if i am wrong but wasnt there a CG thread where they listed all CG's and infinites? im trying to find the thread but i cant. if you have a link can you give it to me?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Characters who can tech it.
Am I right? (Serious question)
When I get chain grabbed by DDD with some characters, they bounce against the floor, allowing me to tech =/
If I'm not mistaken, there are characters that simply fall too far for Dedede to grab again. It's not necessarily that they can tech, so much as they fall too far, period.

I would imagine that if you go too far, but you're left in a neutral stance, you would be the "best" resisting character for it.

That doesn't mean that they're good against Dedede in general, however.

IrArby

Smash Ace
Check the D3 boards they've compiled a list of characters that can be CG or infinitie/quasi-infinited. Its kinda wierd. Like Luigi can be infinited but not CG.

CRASHiC: its I (lower case) "r" Arby: IrArby not I "n" Arby. Honestly, no one spells it right. Are you being sarcastic again. The interent doesn't get you meaning across clearly.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Check the D3 boards they've compiled a list of characters that can be CG or infinitie/quasi-infinited. Its kinda wierd. Like Luigi can be infinited but not CG.
Well, Luigi can be chaingrabbed; it just has to be a standing chaingrab, and it only works five times in a row, unless Dedede pummels in-between each hit, which he won't get to do in a real match.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Guys, Luigi can be chain grabbed, but the D3 backroom has kept this hidden.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE98YeAW68M

And I was serious IrArby. Your thought patterns are the same as mine. Everyone of your post are inescapably logical to me.

And someone in here said they got beat by a D3 who chain grabbed the whole match. If you GOT chained grabbed the whole match, knew they were going for the grabs excessively, and still couldn't escape, then doesn't that make you a scrub.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Then the Luigi vs. Dedede matchup just got even worse than "five free D-Throws". Now it's 6-to-10, really.

BigLøu

Smash Lord

And I was serious IrArby. Your thought patterns are the same as mine. Everyone of your post are inescapably logical to me.

And someone in here said they got beat by a D3 who chain grabbed the whole match. If you GOT chained grabbed the whole match, knew they were going for the grabs excessively, and still couldn't escape, then doesn't that make you a scrub.
O shiiiiiiiiiiiiz thats lame as hell.

Rinehart

Smash Journeyman

lmao. Nice right there.

But i say the CG shouldn't be banned ;]

SeanxFayt

Smash Cadet
NNID
xKintoUn
Switch FC
SW-5031-3151-4071
uh...so what?

nothing in the game is "cheap". it's called playing effectively and playing to win

if it's in their characters' moveset and it works, then they have every right to do it. if you don't like it, too bad (or switch to ICs and do it yourself >_>)
OMG you said it! spamming also isn't cheap :x if you can't get around it then don't complain... practice... and ****... lol i suck against ice climbers b/c of the CG... once I learn to get around it I won't have a problem in almost any matchup :3

Browny

Smash Hater
hey black... if lasers are in fox's moveset, and hyrule temple is a stage in the game, is it cheap to shoot a laser and run away for 7 minutes?

i dont want to know if its banned or anything, just your opinion on what would happen if it was done to you in a tourney situation. Since it was programmed into the game, you cant argue this tactic is not playing to win, if the final result is you losing.

gotta love it how some people claim if its in the game, it should be abused to win. but that only applied to certain tactics, others are banned (mewtwo freeze lol?)

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
hey black... if lasers are in fox's moveset, and hyrule temple is a stage in the game, is it cheap to shoot a laser and run away for 7 minutes?

i dont want to know if its banned or anything, just your opinion on what would happen if it was done to you in a tourney situation. Since it was programmed into the game, you cant argue this tactic is not playing to win, if the final result is you losing.

gotta love it how some people claim if its in the game, it should be abused to win. but that only applied to certain tactics, others are banned (mewtwo freeze lol?)
lol. if circle camping with (insert character here) on hyrule always win you the game(and it worked on a majority of the characters), then stages that allow for circle camping should be banned because circle camping would be a tactic that over-centralized the game. because it would be "pick character had can circle camp well, hit opponent with anything, run away for rest of the match OR LOSE". in which case, the tactic would over-centralize and imo stages that allow for it should be banned. cg's and even infinites do nothing of the sort. they don't over-centralize, so abusing CHARACTER SPECIFIC weaknesses/bad matchups is playing to win.....as long as the tactic doesn't break the game as a whole.

is it so hard to understand?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Why they'd keep it hidden is beyond me. It's not like word won't spread once it's first used in tournaments. And it's not like there seems to be a way to escape it.

So all they're doing is holding other D3's back.

No, it makes you a N00b. Whining about how that justifies a ban makes you a Scrub.

Tero.

Smash Champion
Why they'd keep it hidden is beyond me. It's not like word won't spread once it's first used in tournaments. And it's not like there seems to be a way to escape it.

So all they're doing is holding other D3's back.
We didn't actually "hold it back" ... we were just talking about it and we didnt create a topic to hype it lol ("OMFG DDD CAN CG WEEGEE, DDD 4 MK TIERZ").

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
For someone that knows Dedede's chaingrab quite well:

That running shieldgrab chaingrab on Luigi. Does it work on Mario/Samus? That would be nice to know for sure.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
So finally, the infinite standing D3 chaingrab should be banned or not ?
No, because it only really affects DK/Bowser. Bowser can standing chaingrab Dedede, and DK's a good enough character where he can reasonably stay away from it. (You still probably shouldn't try, however. :laugh: ) The fact that they can do stuff back has nothing to do with whether or not it should be banned, however; I'm just stating a bit of solace.

Not only that, but it's not really a standing chaingrab on DK/Bowser, since you have to more slightly forward each time against them. Just play near the edge, and it won't be -so- bad.

Louisdebou

Smash Cadet
No, because it only really affects DK/Bowser. Bowser can standing chaingrab Dedede, and DK's a good enough character where he can reasonably stay away from it. (You still probably shouldn't try, however. :laugh: ) The fact that they can do stuff back has nothing to do with whether or not it should be banned, however; I'm just stating a bit of solace.

Not only that, but it's not really a standing chaingrab on DK/Bowser, since you have to more slightly forward each time against them. Just play near the edge, and it won't be -so- bad.
I agree for Bowser and DK but D3 can standing chaingrab Luigi, Mario and Samus in addition, samus can't escape the D-throw > D-tilt "combo". You grab Samus, You get a free kill, no ?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I agree for Bowser and DK but D3 can standing chaingrab Luigi, Mario and Samus in addition, samus can't escape the D-throw > D-tilt "combo". You grab Samus, You get a free kill, no ?
Dedede can only standing chaingrab those characters five times before they bounce away too far to regrab. The only way to rectify this is if Dedede pummels you once in-between grabs, and his is so slow that you should be able to shake out of it at any reasonable percentage. A breakout at 129% after a single pummel has been recorded in a real match, so as long as you try to break out, it won't affect you too much. As such, it's only serious trouble for Bowser/DK.

For your convenience: It's at the very end; about 6:20-6:21.

Also, Wario eats lots of attacks out of a grab release from about half of the cast. It's not fun.

bobson

Smash Lord
For someone that knows Dedede's chaingrab quite well:

That running shieldgrab chaingrab on Luigi. Does it work on Mario/Samus? That would be nice to know for sure.
It probably does, but why would you bother? He can chaingrab both of them regularly anyway.

IrArby

Smash Ace
So basically dumbing/slowing down the game's engine has not only made the game easier for noobs but also easier for competitive players to abuse it and do stupid infinites that shouldn't happen.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
So basically dumbing/slowing down the game's engine has not only made the game easier for noobs but also easier for competitive players to abuse it and do stupid infinites that shouldn't happen.
It has nothing to do with the ease of controls or slowed-down speed compared to Melee.

It just happened to be there. As players, we should just deal with it.

IrArby

Smash Ace
So you're saying that the fact that people float in the air or move on the ground more slowly that has no impact of D3's grab and it would work regardless of what engine were using.

Hive

Smash Lord
Dedede can only standing chaingrab those characters five times before they bounce away too far to regrab. The only way to rectify this is if Dedede pummels you once in-between grabs, and his is so slow that you should be able to shake out of it at any reasonable percentage. A breakout at 129% after a single pummel has been recorded in a real match, so as long as you try to break out, it won't affect you too much. As such, it's only serious trouble for Bowser/DK.

For your convenience: It's at the very end; about 6:20-6:21.

Also, Wario eats lots of attacks out of a grab release from about half of the cast. It's not fun.
This isn't true, even with the single pummel it is inescapable at human thresholds.
to clarify:
DDDs pummel takes 29 frames to execute before he can throw or pummel again.
Within this time you must try to take off a certain amount of frames in order to break out of it.
The number of frames you have to take off is 90 plus 1.7 per every percentage point.
DDD can throw you 5 times before he has to pummel you. (about 40%)
The pummel adds 8%. So the least amount of frames you need to break out of (if he grabbed you at 0%, is about 170.)
Each button you press (including one cardinal direction of your control stick and one flick of the c-stick) takes away 8 frames.
I find the most amount of buttons I can hit at one time is 7 (a,b,x,y,l,r, and the control stick in one direction...) so this will minus 56 frames per every repetition.
The human reaction time to hit these buttons is 10-20 frames, the triggers and the control stick being the hardest to hit in this time.... it takes an equal amount of time to return to your original position.
THEREFORE
in the 29 frames you need to break out of the pummel, at the fastest you can expect (10 frames to hit the buttons) you will minus 56 frames on the 10th frame, return to your original position on the 20th frame, and hit them again on the 30th frame. Which, even if the second set goes through you will only have deducted 112 frames from the total you need of 170. Which means that if grabbed first at 0% its not likely you will break out of it if the ddd executes it properly. In fact, even if you can get 3 repetitions in in half a second it STILL wouldn't be enough to break out of.
Therefore, the infinite is unescapable at human thresholds and gets harder as the percentage increases.
which is why you don't see people breaking out of the first pummel on a grab a lot unless the grabber messes up in his timing. (you'd basically need to be able to do 4 repetitions in under half a second.)

Top Bottom