• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
Resting_Fox said:
I think if Geno were put into Smash, even as a secret character, they should give him his own stage designed like the treestump on which he fought Bowyer [right after being introduced.] It would basically be like Final Destination, but have walls that extend to the floor, good for Link's and Samus's grapple, or wall jumps for extra recovery height.

haha, and background music = Genos Woods..YAHHYUHZ.

that has to be my favorite song from SMRPG

Rowe

Smash Cadet
Lord_Deathborne said:
I'm aware of that, but they can always get permission to use him again, right?

With Snake making the cut, the idea's not all that outlandish...
Y'know. I'm very tired seeing Snake as an excuse to consider any character. The real reason he is in there is because of a favor to a friend. Nintendo DID say they may have other partnetships...but come on. If Square were to partner up with Nintendo for Smash they would more likely use a character that represents Square a little more instead of a character they made for 1...and a half (MLSS) Nintendo games. I have to say, I politely disagree with this whole topic.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Geno wouldn't be included as a SQUARE character, he'd be included as a NINTENDO character, in the same way that Diddy is a Nintendo character. Diddy was created by Rare.

Square didn't make Mario & Luigi.

Square wouldn't choose Geno to represent them, Nintendo would ask for permission to use Geno again (assuming that they did not buy the SMRPG characters back from Square, which I'm pretty sure they did.

Wow.

JmcShocker16

Smash Apprentice
McFox said:
Geno wouldn't be included as a SQUARE character, he'd be included as a NINTENDO character, in the same way that Diddy is a Nintendo character. Diddy was created by Rare.

Square didn't make Mario & Luigi.

Square wouldn't choose Geno to represent them, Nintendo would ask for permission to use Geno again (assuming that they did not buy the SMRPG characters back from Square, which I'm pretty sure they did.

Wow.
or maybe they didn't we dont know. alls we can do is wait. what would genos voice sound like? i just thought about that. or no voice

frogfusious

Smash Cadet
Fine, if you can show me a reliable source that says Nintendo bought the rights to Geno, then I'll believe you, but until then...no.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Well, my original point is that it doesn't matter anyway, but I'll scoure the original thread and see if I can find the information.

I searched every single post in the original Brawl thread with the word "Geno" in it.

Either way, I doubt Square would be opposed to allowing Nin to use Geno again.

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
JmcShocker16 said:
or maybe they didn't we dont know. alls we can do is wait. what would genos voice sound like? i just thought about that. or no voice
Well it's obvious isn't it? Geno's voice would sound like a blend of wind rustling through the trees, the faint sound of a star twinkling, and the swirled voices of Lucca and Frog from Chrono Trigger.

Anyway. for a voice actor, I'd like something similar to Alan Rickman's voice. Mellow tenor with a slight edge of cheese. But it's very difficult to say for certain without a little trial and error.

ßruK

Smash Apprentice
Geno's now ALMOST PRACTICALLY confirmed. I could bet he'll be in the next Smash. He was named again in Sakurai's poll (nº86). HURRAY!! We can start celebrating, Japan loves Geno!

On the other hand, I think Geno should have voice, too. I always thought he'd have some kind-of deep and echoing voice. Jedi-master-like. And very polite.

Oro

BRoomer
BRoomer
Think Snape from Harry Potter. That's all I need to say.

D1

Banned via Administration
Oro said:
Think Snape from Harry Potter. That's all I need to say.
This man is the devil incarnate stay away from him! BEWARE HIS WRAAAAATH!

Did Nintendo need rights from Square to use Geno in that lil Cameo for Mario Luigi?

Oh yeah I hope Geno's taunt is where he raises his hands in the air and spins around then stands facing the screen and nods in your direction.

OMFG THAT'D BE SOOOOO SWEET!!!

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
Has Alan Rickman done much voice acting? Only thing I can think of was the Marvin the robot in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Btw, for those of you who are not familiar with Alan Rickman, he was most notably Snape from the Harry Potter series (blech... harry potter...), the Sheriff of Notingham in Robin Hood: Prince of Theives, and Dr. Lazarus from Galaxy Quest. At least, that's what I know him from, the guy's done a good bit of acting.

Anyhow, as pesimistic as I am about more Mario characters, this one might be a good fit. That is, he's far less generic than most Mario characters, and has a personality to boot. He's not a part of the mainstream Mario games, but he's also not from the spinoffs where characters are just different models with slightly altered mechanics (i.e. Mario Kart, Mario Party, ect.). In essence, he seems as though he could function as a character independent of any association with Mario, which is something that almost none of the supporting Mario characters which are not already in the Smash Bros series are (e.i. Waluigi has no significance unless he's associated with Luigi or Wario, Daisy has no significance unless she's associated with Peach or Luigi, these characters are completely defined by their relationships to other existing characters).

All of that longwinded explination to say that I agree with the lot of you and would be pleasantly surprised with the presence of Geno in SSBB.

Andy

Bowser85

Smash Apprentice
Did Nintendo need rights from Square to use Geno in that lil Cameo for Mario Luigi?

Yes they did. It's in the credits. Why the hell should Square keep Geno anyway?

When Rare was bought out by Microsoft, they had to leave the Kremlings and K. Rool's rights behind to Nintendo, despite being something they created. Geno appeared in a Mario game, Mario is obviously Nintendo's property, so shouldn't that mean Nintendo should keep Geno?

D1

Hmm so you're saying Nintendo DID need permission to use Geno. In that case then they would need it again from Square to use Geno in Brawl...

...anyone remember Jinx from Super Mario RPG? He'd probably be a good candidate as well if anyone remembered in Monstro Town you would fight him he'd have those sick moves that'd end in an explosion and you're char might die in the process that sh** was so sexy.

"One of Bowser's students, Jagger, ran off to join Jinx in his dojo. Jinx doesn't respect Mario's style of fighting, but if Mario beats Jinx three times, Jinx will give him a special gift...as well as have a change of heart."

Just a lil tidbit about him sry to go off topic a lil just wanted to remind you guys about Jinx.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Meh, I'm not really a Jinx fan. I'll be the first one to tell you that his small size in RPG wouldn't bring down his chances any. I just don't think he would work as well as Geno or even Mallow.

D1

McFox said:
Meh, I'm not really a Jinx fan. I'll be the first one to tell you that his small size in RPG wouldn't bring down his chances any. I just don't think he would work as well as Geno or even Mallow.
For one thing though, he could be the same height as Pichu. But yeah I could dream : )

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
Well, Seeing the translation of the second article about Geno, I couldn't help but notice that it was seperated into two words. Gee no. Whether that was Sakurai's of the original author's pun is yet to be seen.

Anyway, I just started playing Super Mario RPG again and realized. Mallow uses a staff! And of course my approval of him went up 200%. I mean look at these attacks. The staff alone could make a full A moveset.

I mean, his fists become the same size as his whole friggin body! :O

Mallow for Geno tier.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Lol. When Brawl is released, we should name the top tier "Geno tier," even if he's in the game and not in that tier. :p

Also, I saw the babelfish translation of that page, and needless to say, it was the most ridiculous translation ever (not that I expected it to be good).

Can anyone even basically read Japanese and tell use what's being said there?

Oro

BRoomer
BRoomer
Resting_Fox said:
Well, Seeing the translation of the second article about Geno, I couldn't help but notice that it was seperated into two words. Gee no. Whether that was Sakurai's of the original author's pun is yet to be seen.
It's the work of a shoddy online translator :p The original Japanese text says Geno's name the way it's regularly written in Japanese. I'm surprised that it can't even correctly translate a greeting as common as "Hajimema****e", which it just translates as "Beginning!" LOL

I'm not going to even pretend that I know enough Japanese to try to actually translate this, though.

D

Deleted member

This has gone beyond inclusion. This is worship.

On the topic of translation, I wonder what kind of rubbish the director is reading from bad Babelfish translations...

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Ya ya...Alan Rickman's drawl might fit...But I was thinking someone more along the lines of Kirk Thornton (Jin from Samurai Champloo, Saix from Kingdom Hearts II). Or Maybe George Newburn (Current animated Superman VA, Sephiroth from KHII and FFVII:AC) with his deep voice...

Hmm...Or maybe they'll just leave him with a Japanese voice actor like they did with Marth and Roy...

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Hmm, Geno with Jin's voice. That would also work amazingly well.

Unfortunately, I don't think Nintendo is in the habit of hiring biggerish stars like Kirk Thornton or Alan Rickman to do their games.

GenG

Smash Lord
Geno should be a childish japanese voice, yet a cool one. I think the perfect one is the voice actor for Geno would be the one for Ryoma Echizen (Prince of Tennis).

Card

Smash Lord
Geno wasn't very much of the talkative type of character in SM:RPG was he?
If anything, I think it would be best to just give Geno grunts/screams/umphs/ambiguous sounds... (just like Ice Climbers, Link, Ganondorf, etc..) Afterall isn't his real voice incomprehensible? I'd rather give Geno an ambiguous voice, than giving him speech and leave no room for the players imagination!

Shark X

Smash Lord
Not sure if anyone pointed this out in this topic but...

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=72784

I did search, and what he said WAS true, but I went back half an hour later, and it seemed it was removed. So either Wiki was wrong, or Nintendo wanted to keep it a secret, but I doubt they contacted Wiki and asked them to remove it, so it makes me wonder where they got the idea in the first place, and why they decided to remove it.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Wikipedia doesn't add any information themselves. A "wiki" is a kind of site where ANYBODY can add information. Wikipedia, being the biggest wiki, doesn't allow people to put false information in it. Nintendo didn't contact them, when they saw the false information, they removed it. The info. was added by any random fan who wanted to fool people.

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
Wikipedia is a bad resource,
because articles could be edited by anyone (Or anything!!!).

My friend made a page enitled how to eat a mushroom
without your head exploding.

Yes. WTF.

Shark X

Smash Lord
Yeah wikipedia is sort of new to me, and I only learned about it by accident a few days ago. And after further enpection I noticed what you guys were saying, and I was going to come back and edit that I found that out, but you guys already posted.

In case this is true...

[[Nintendo Power]] magazine has confirmed that in their July 2006 issue, they will confirm more characters, however who they are is not known.

And then he complains...

<!--I AM SERIOUS! STOP REMOVING THIS INFORMATION! It IS true! Buy the magazine and check yourself, it is in there! They said they WILL reveal more characters in issue 205, the July 2006 issue! SO STOP REMOVING THIS!!!-->

If this is true at least, sweet, but I won't buy the mag. Just wait for the comfirmation of characters on this site XD If it's not true, meh, my hopes were shot.

GenG

Smash Lord
I can see it. They'll finish the poll on July, and then reveal some of the most voted characters in that issue.

Bowser85

Smash Apprentice
Shark X said:
Jin would make a good Geno voice, but they'll probably give him some crappy kiddy (or worse, 4kids) sounding voice just to tick us US gamers off.
Meh, if Nintendo's act of recasting and taking over the rights to dub Pokemon are anything to go by, they most likely won't be using 4Kids actors for anything. Though I wouldn't mind if Metaknight had his Mexican "Zorro-ripoff" voice from the cartoon.

Top Bottom