• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Ice Climbers' Video Thread

Aglow

Smash Journeyman
Zero....I am so happy right now after watching that video. Dropping **** aside, you did so many cool tricks there. I loved the wrap around with side-b, grabbing the nade with nana during cg, and smash hobbling on the sv platform. Sooooo sexy.

Smoom77

Smash Master
Omg, that was a great video! The xhaingrabs were great since they weren't hobbles! The NORMAL CGs were better than I expected.

Very good match.

B0NK

Smash Lord
lol you really got into that snake's head....he must have been scared with the mistakes he was making at the end.

Quick note about your first finishers, when ever you are on a platform up smash to finish, no reason not to. Your closer to the ceiling. Also up-smashing with Nana that second time just almost never kills snake until like over 150% if i remember correctly due to the lower knockback nana has compared to Popo. So just be sure to up-smash with popo. (also all this may be obvious to you after you watched the vid or during the match, but i thought i mentions it anyways.)

Also I think snake dies from a slightly charged up-smash at around 110% just for reference.

But MU wise you played very well, didn't see any real mistake and you had no problem reading and punishing your opponent. I also wish I could b-throw CG snake has well as you do lol.

00-Zero

Smash Journeyman
Haha, yeah, about that f smash XD
when I started charging, I was thinking "oh ****, I should've up smashed, and he's probably gonna live because of it."
and he did..
lol
But it was alright because I was up.
But yeah, thanks for the compliments and head's ups

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Can't really critique the mk games as the mk played the match-up horribly wrong. He could have just not payed much attention and beaten that mk easily so I'm not really sure how to critique it heh.

First thing I saw with him playing kisment is that he doesn't know how to transition into doing a bthrow dthrow cg from just sopo dthrows. It's very important to learn otherwise every character will mash out on you at low %'s that you want to bthrow dthrow.

He also needs to get comfortable with cging in tournament. He tries to do the nanax2 smash to kill by just mashing cstick when he grabbed kismet..what? That's HORRIBLE lol. Just bthrow and charge upsmash. You should never be trying the c-stick spam kill from a grab. Also get him to stop dthrow-fairing. It can be DI'ed out of and you have to guess where to grab them if they are good at smashDI. Just do alt grabs and kill, not things that your opponent could possibly break out of.

Whenever he desynch he doesn't really do too much with it. I mean I like the fact that he uses IB's against kismet because they are really good against falco but whenever he desynchs he kind of just sits there. He doesn't transition smoothly into anything, it looks really sloppy and doesn't give him great stage control. He should be using IB's a little more often but be using less of them. He also only seems to pivot desynch, the dash dance desynch is very useful in a lot of match-ups, or at least he needs to learn how to shoot the second IB from nana from the pivot desynch so he can chase it well.

From watching very little I can already tell you he has a LOT to work on. He is playing smart and making good decisions, and since IC's are a very good character it's allowing him to win. He would do much better though if he worked on his versatility. He seems to only have one option for any situation and sticks to the things he learned first about the character. I'm not saying he needs to do tricky things or be fancy or anything like that, just learn more options that he has available to him and how to control the character better. He could have much better stage control and get more grabs off if he just tweaked his desynching a little based on the match-ups and refined his desynching to make it more effective. For example know when it's useful to move your blizzards against mk, you should never really be just standing still unless they are on the edge or something. Learn how to use IB's better in an approaching manner, not just to counteract the lasers. He should be moving and doing things he wants according to the situation. What he is doing now looks like he focuses on exactly what he is doing like it's in steps or something, he needs to just go comfortable enough to do things smoothly on command.

AyatoK26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kaminakid
Hey, do you guys have any combo vids? If so, could you give me the link(s)? Much appreciated.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
Icies havent really made any combo videos, because what is there to show?

If we show **** grab setups all people will say is "thats gay", if we show just opponents running away the whole time it'll just be boring.

AyatoK26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kaminakid
Darn, ok. I'm just looking at combo vids for each character to see who has the best, subjectively speaking.

Thanks though.

Teh Future

Smash Master
every character has moves that link pretty well once you learn how to play them D:

id suggest trying different charaters for yourself and seeing which one fits your playstyle best.

some people like to sit back and camp, other people like to be all up in your bizzzzzz, different characters can do different things better.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
And somehow people still try to convince me that DK vs IC's is even lmao.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
I feel like cable plays the match up much better because hes not too defensive like Will. It's still greatly in our favor

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
It seems like every time I say something about a match-up being in Ic's favor someone tells me I need to play a different character main for that character but whenever I do I'm always disappointed :/. The only exception to this really for me has been ESAM, who beat me very solidly in a MM at MLG Dallas(It was in the morning and I dropped grabs, but I think he probably would have won anyways and he did lots of things I didn't know about or expect so that was cool).

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Just quick things I couldn't really react to. Didn't matter that I could beat what he was doing if I couldn't react to it.

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
I feel like cable plays the match up much better because hes not too defensive like Will. It's still greatly in our favor
lol at greatly in our favor.

its a solid advantage and nothing more.

results and accomplishments cant even back up your statement or mine saying its a solid advantage as dk has had more success vs iceys in high level play than vice versa but speaking from opinion, I think Iceys win 6-4. solid advantage.

but i havent seen an iceys player do the matchup right save lain at Pound 4 vs cable( cable didnt know the matchup back then but Lain wasnt clueless about what to do at all)

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
lol at greatly in our favor.

its a solid advantage and nothing more.

results and accomplishments cant even back up your statement or mine saying its a solid advantage as dk has had more success vs iceys in high level play than vice versa but speaking from opinion, I think Iceys win 6-4. solid advantage.

but i havent seen an iceys player do the matchup right save lain at Pound 4 vs cable( cable didnt know the matchup back then but Lain wasnt clueless about what to do at all)
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pZb6sVKbA90?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pZb6sVKbA90?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I also 3 stocked Ook in tournament when I played him.

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pZb6sVKbA90?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pZb6sVKbA90?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I also 3 stocked Ook in tournament when I played him.
nice linking a video of you beating a garbage dk (that airdodges and does nothing after you mess up the cg and clearly doesnt know the matchup/is good at the game rofl)that got mutilated by inui at siis when inui is the known worst player vs DK LMAO thats like if i linked a video of me beating shippo. hylian is a God indeed.

and cool you beat ook. that does not change anything in my post AT ALL. rofl really man? in top level play, more dk's and have beaten more iceys. thats why the DKs say they win. why dont you go and beat the 2 best DKs in general and at this matchup to change their mind? should be a piece of cake right? definitely was for vinnie and meep when they went up against cable yo.

Vinnie

Smash Master
Kelvin to be fair, I did beat Cable on BF @ ktar3. I switched off g&w after I lost g1, beat him solidly game 2 on BF, then lost game 3 last hit on frigate.

I started on YI against him at VC8, because I heard you could grab him out of his up-B. I found out I didn't know how, and I got ***** for it :x.

I'm sorta confident in ICs vs Cable now. But yeah your point still stands, Cable has a pretty impressive record vs ICs, and he's pretty **** good xD.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
nice linking a video of you beating a garbage dk (that airdodges and does nothing after you mess up the cg and clearly doesnt know the matchup/is good at the game rofl)that got mutilated by inui at siis when inui is the known worst player vs DK LMAO thats like if i linked a video of me beating shippo. hylian is a God indeed.

and cool you beat ook. that does not change anything in my post AT ALL. rofl really man? in top level play, more dk's and have beaten more iceys. thats why the DKs say they win. why dont you go and beat the 2 best DKs in general and at this matchup to change their mind? should be a piece of cake right? definitely was for vinnie and meep when they went up against cable yo.
Uh, Ripple took Lain to a 2nd set in the grand finals of a tournament and you just said Lain was the only IC to play against DK correctly so I showed a video of me destroying someone who has beaten lain with DK. I also thought ripple was a lot better than Ook considering I 3 stocked Ook and almost 3 stocked him with GW as well. :/.

This is just like DDD, people told me I need to play coney because coney beat meep and obviously I couldn't have any idea what I was talking about until I played him. Well I did and it turns out Meep is just bad at the match-up and coney agreed with me after playing me that Ic's win lol.

You think I just say things based off who I've beaten? THINK about the match-up. DK gets grabbed out of practically every one of his moves, is slow, has a huge hurtbox...what exactly can DK do to IC's? Down b? lol. You don't even main IC's or DK why do you care what peoples opinions on the match-up are? And watching that video of Vinne vs Will, will doesn't look like he has any idea what to do, not sure why people are telling me to play him. People are just biased.

Edit: I'm tired of discussing match-ups really. It always ends up pointless because no one ever concedes anything. Ratios are too arbitrary and people seem to hate each other just because they don't agree about match-ups or mk being banned etc, it's all really stupid. I think I'm going to take a break from posting on character boards for awhile. People should learn to respect their peers are try to learn from everyone, a lot of this community just acts like little kids and it's really annoying. If I see you at tournaments feel free to ask or talk to me about anything, people don't have computers to hide behind in person. At MLG dallas almost every person I played told me I did things they had never seen with IC's before, and some didn't believe I was doing those things on purpose. I've tried showing or teaching all of these things to people but they just shrug it off so it feels like wasted effort :/. I'll still read the boards just won't give my opinion on something unless someone asks personally. Just sick of arguing with everyone.

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
when did he beat lain? a year ago or something? link me to the results yo.

results speak for themselves. you guys say greatly in your favor yet have not proven it. i like youre explaining the matchup to me on paper. dam wanna explain all the other iceys matchups to me? becuz on paper, iceys beats everyone. results > everything. if you stop ignoring this fat, maybe youd sound just a LITTLE bit credible

also i do have iceys in my mains. dont speak about something like that unless you like tagging yourself with signs that say "IM IGNORANT IM IGNORANT!" and even if i didnt, if i knew two characters really well with my region being overpopulated by iceys and DK, ill state something. what the ****? since when does me having to main a character affect my decisions. smh.

and no, ripples accomplishments are nowhere near to the calibur of cable ook and will. maybe youre the one being biased because you played ripple in iceys vs dk and thought ripple was better lmao. so good job including youre self in your own last statement. wow people in this community surprises me to no end!!

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
...lol

<dgljhdnbglkihnbdg

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
@ksizzle:
I played cable at vc8.

I almost jv, 2 stocked him round 1.

Round 2 he took me to brinstar and I picked g&w. I was winning the whole time until he got a clutch shield breaker.

Round 3 we went to BF, I went icies. At the very beginning he up b'd my shield(I wasn't even close to the edge) I tried to spot dodge and I got hit, slid off the ledge and some how buffered an air dodged from the spot dodge I attempted earlier. It killed me, at 5 percent.

With my second stock I took off his first and second stock. He killed me and then killed nana stock 3. He easily beat my popo after that.

Imo that was not a fair showing of the match up because of the SD and I most definitely would've beat him if it didn't happen.

It's really tough for DK

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I'm super good at the IC's match up. except when I played Hylian. I was off that set. no johns whatever.

OOK is notoriously bad at the Ics match up btw. and just because I don't have as many accomplishments is because I live over 3 hours from literally everyone. I'm I'm still **** good for that fact

Top Bottom