• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Ike Video Critique Thread

WeretigerX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PentSage
Alrighty, I finally got a new wii. :) I wanna know what you guys think I should work on, I've gotten tips to learn to mix up my approach. Any thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B75ghDuConI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhoHZp-1t74
A lot of punishing mistakes. Especially in the first one with Link. Be careful fighting him, because he can always put the projectile mindgames on you, which he didn't in this particular match. A lot of Link's moves have decent end lag though. Like his Dair on his first stock, you could have Ftilted him. That's about it.

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
Well with Game 1, I see one main problem. That is that you anticipated a lot of movement from Ness that wasn't there. What I mean by that is that you attacked frivolously many times and that hurt you damage wise. You still have to remember that Ike has a good amount of end lag and every move should be with great purpose. You spaced Fair well though. Good effort in the end.

Game 2 you didn't have the same problem which is good. Be careful how liberally you use quick draw though. There were many times you could have been gimped to hell and back while using it. Also be careful about your aether recovery onto the stage. On the third stock, you aethered onto the stage and if he had responded how he should have, you could have been potentially tipper Fsmashed and gimped. You got pretty lucky on the last aether too haha. Had you recovered to the ledge, you might have edgehogged him for a more concise win. A win is a win though, right?
Hey, thanks for critquieing my vids. Just one comment about the end part of vs marth vid though, I'm sure luck made marth die before me in that last stock, but recovering normally with aether (not reversed I mean) would had just gotten me hit by marth's counter.
This is the beauty of reverse aether, the counter move of Ike and marth gets reversed too and that keeps you safe lest they could intercept this linear recovery very easily.

Shinde425

Smash Apprentice
A lot of punishing mistakes. Especially in the first one with Link. Be careful fighting him, because he can always put the projectile mindgames on you, which he didn't in this particular match. A lot of Link's moves have decent end lag though. Like his Dair on his first stock, you could have Ftilted him. That's about it.
Wait...what? Really? =o Thanks, I'll work on my punishing =)

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
So there's this thing called Ike's best move. I'll let you figure out what it is. HINT: You didn't use it. Well, you tossed it out 3 times and never once hit with it. Also, the specific move ***** Luigi.

Recovering with Quick Draw. Experience will tell you when and how you can recover with Quick Draw. You chose neither the "when" nor the "how" correctly.

Nice spike though. I was a fan of that part.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Just gonna add to this and say you seemed a bit indecisive on your jab combinations. Feels like you could have either completed the comp, or done 1, 1 but often had a huge delay after 1.

disasterABDUL

Smash Ace
So there's this thing called Ike's best move. I'll let you figure out what it is. HINT: You didn't use it. Well, you tossed it out 3 times and never once hit with it. Also, the specific move ***** Luigi.

Recovering with Quick Draw. Experience will tell you when and how you can recover with Quick Draw. You chose neither the "when" nor the "how" correctly.

Nice spike though. I was a fan of that part.
yeah, the quickdraw was a bad idea and I knew it right after I did it, at the time I thought it might catch him off guard. but I've definitely stopped doing things like that. I still need to work on spacing with Nairs and Fairs

Just gonna add to this and say you seemed a bit indecisive on your jab combinations. Feels like you could have either completed the comp, or done 1, 1 but often had a huge delay after 1.
I tried to do a jab1 jab2 cancel but I kept getting a roll when I pressed down so I just ROLLED with it :awesome:
I'm still not very good at the jab1 to jab2 cancel that involves holding down the A button

also a side note: that luigi spike at the end completely surprised me.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I'm still not very good at the jab1 to jab2 cancel that involves holding down the A button
You mean combat walking? That only works if the first Jab connects when they're out and above you a bit, and is usually only useful against heavy characters who don't have a fast aerial attack that can hit in front of and below them... like Ganondorf or another Ike.

I noticed the Jab hesitation right away too and it really cost you a lot of potential damage early on. Practice just canceling Jab 1 into another Jab 1 and then finishing the combo as a bread-and-butter Jab routine. You'll eventually get the hang of when different things work and on what characters you can mix it up.

Also you shouldn't be getting too close to Luigi on the ground unless he approaches right out. Keep your distance and pressure him with Nairs; he really doesn't have an answer for Nair if you space it well, and his projectile is indifferent.

:248:

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
Bump :3

I'd like to post some vids, just so you guys tell me what you think, not so much for asking specific advice. I think I'll get them uploaded in a week or two.

-Smash King-93

Smash Apprentice
know im not that much active here but least i can do is contribute SOMETHING >_>
soon ill post a video to critique...soon

-Smash King-93

Smash Apprentice
your choice if you want to take the time to view, critigue, and comment is all up to you.
just feel like i have to be more with this site than AiB

PandaBear724

Smash Rookie
I'll be posting a couple vids on here in a few days, I think that I'm pretty good with Ike but I know I can improve. I've been looking around smashboards for a couple months and I finally decided to make an account(I know I'm slow) I'm thinking of going to some tournaments soon so It would be nice if anyone can critique my vids that I'll post.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
To PandaBear
-Don't mindlessly use aerials like on 6:35. Only use aerials as a fake-out like tricking the opponent for trying to punish our Nair or if you either know it'll hit them or if you hit their shield and know that because it was so well spaced they can't punish it.
-Work on fast falling Nairs a little better as well.
-Your spacing, it's very improvable. I haven't seen any near perfectly spaced aerial. 8 out of 10 times you used an aerial it didn't hit him because you retreated way too far.
-Your jab cancelings don't always have to be with jab 1. You can also mix-up them with jab 2, that may lead into more damage from jabs.
-6:58 Fair would have been better for punishing Fox, or you could at least have moved a bit towards Fox when he was using a get-up attack. Right after I would have stopped jabbing after jab 2 at the very least. Don't mash with jabs, think a little bit more when you jab.

The Fox wasn't good because he should never use Up b onstage lol but you seem to be fairly good with Ike. Just think about what I've said.

PandaBear724

Smash Rookie
To PandaBear
-Don't mindlessly use aerials like on 6:35. Only use aerials as a fake-out like tricking the opponent for trying to punish our Nair or if you either know it'll hit them or if you hit their shield and know that because it was so well spaced they can't punish it.
-Work on fast falling Nairs a little better as well.
-Your spacing, it's very improvable. I haven't seen any near perfectly spaced aerial. 8 out of 10 times you used an aerial it didn't hit him because you retreated way too far.
-Your jab cancelings don't always have to be with jab 1. You can also mix-up them with jab 2, that may lead into more damage from jabs.
-6:58 Fair would have been better for punishing Fox, or you could at least have moved a bit towards Fox when he was using a get-up attack. Right after I would have stopped jabbing after jab 2 at the very least. Don't mash with jabs, think a little bit more when you jab.

The Fox wasn't good because he should never use Up b onstage lol but you seem to be fairly good with Ike. Just think about what I've said.
Thanks that'll help me out, I also play Marth and I was just checking around the boards there and people were talking about not just whiffing out aerials for no reason with the intention of just using them instead of actually hitting(which I do) and now I know that that's something I can improve on.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Okay, here's one. I wasn't really into it that day but still, that's something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsXR1jd456A

My matches start at about 13:25.
Do you play wifi? It was either that or nervousness that made you mess up a few times on inputs. I think you meant to fast fall a few times in the beginning when you double jumped, and one time you would come down beside her...where I think you were trying to jab, but instead F-smashed. If you were just nervous, you need to relax a bit and not rush things in terms of inputs.

One thing I don't like about this match is that it's from a crew battle of sorts, so ZSS starts out with one stock. That changes up how both sides play.

14:25....you air dodge into the ground, see the projectile stun coming, you shield...then you drop your shield?? Shortly after you N-air her...you walk instead of run. Again Wifi or nervousness...just relax. Nice spacing and read on teh f-tilt afterwards.

Nice patience when she was on the platform...caught her well with the up-smash.

VS MK

One thing you wanna do is keep the fight centered. Notice how in the beginning you were on the edge. If that persists, he can get you off stage and gimp you.

15:05 pointless double jump. Against MK, you gotta maintain that extra jump incase you get put in a bad spot

15:48 when you pummel and grab release...Ike has automatic grab release to dash attack on MK.

Shouldn't have reverse aethered. Priority is to get back on stage.

DI up on his grabs or tech the ground when you hit it. You got owned on those grabs.

Overall, you seem to have the MK match up down for the most part. Just focus on staying in the center of the stage, and also make it a priority to not use a double jump and recover on stage properly.

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
@ Bored

Thanks for the critique! I made good note of what you said.

Yeah I tend to fail an amazing amount of simple inputs (beginning of the mk match: run up to him... crouch??) for no real reason.
I think the grab release fail was also an input fail, I must have tried to dash attack and buffered too quickly (tilt cstick)

Some other matches should be up soon.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Alright, I'll get right to it.

0:33 - After those Jabs was a good time to go for a surprise Aether; when Snake DI's your Jabs up like that at low percents and double-jumps it's a good way to rack damage and you could get lucky and catch him pulling out a Nade for extra damage too.

0:39 - That probably wasn't intentional but obviously a roll wasn't the best idea there. Avoid rolling against Snake completely, he has too many ways to punish them effectively.

0:52 - Make sure when you're doing a ledge-drop double jump back onto the stage you also use an air-dodge and put up your shield right away. That Nair shouldn't have hit you. Either that or wait on the ledge a bit if you think he's going to press an attack. This same mistake also costs you a stock at 1:14.

0:59 - Yah you were forward rolling away a bit too much after his Dthrows; make sure to do some regular stand-ups followed immediately by turn-around Jabs to catch him off-guard, most Snake players will not expect that (the first time, then you gotta mix it up).

1:03 - There's no need to be that close to the stage, save your double-jump and keep your distance until you're beneath the stage and then use Aether under the slope to force him back. At 1:06, you always have to make sure you hit the Nade when you first throw your sword... otherwise that happens.

1:34 - You have to think quickly in those situations, he knew you would roll backwards because of the mine so you should either have used a get-up attack, stood-up regularly or waited it out to see what he did. Never react, always keep your head in it. Also, you could easily have SDI'd out of that Dair and punished (with an Fsmash if you were fast enough getting out), practice your SDI.

1:50 - Always be aware of your surroundings, you could have done a Bthrow -> DA here instead of the Fthrow and got him with the DA and his own Nade which was primed to explode behind you.

2:02 - That was a Jab -> Utilt moment; learn to recognize instantly how high in the air and at what % your opponent is when you first Jab them, Utilt after that first Jab would have been an easy KO.

2:29 - When he's that close, do a Jab -> Grab and Bthrow him off-stage, edge-guarding Snake when he's off-stage is one thing Ike excels at in this match-up so get him off the edge as often as possible.

2:36 - Make sure you're prepared to DI up in case he does throw you sideways, and again make sure you're aware of Nades. You could have used that one you were holding to survive there.

4:47 - If you know that a Snake player likes to do that double-jump sweet-spot on the ledge (which most do), be ready to edge-hog him. It often takes them by surprise and they're late taking out their cypher so you can easily get the spike.

Overall you didn't do too bad, just make sure you always know where those Nades are. If you had played the whole match like you played the last stock you could have easily won, just try and keep that last-stock mindset the whole time.

Going to critique yours in just a bit TX7.

:248:

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Alright. Let's see what I can do here. I'm probably going to focus more on what you shouldn't have done in certain situations, so someone else can help out. Bear with me if it seems like I'm coming down hard on you. Serperiority Complex. :p

Game 1

0:28 I'm going to tell you this right now. Use dash attack sparingly. You may have hit the MK this time, but I suspect you're going to miss soon.

0:31 Kinda slow on the jab-canceling, eh? Or were you nervous? Jab1->full jab is an easy 20% on MK, something he doesn't need.

0:39 You dash-attacked. And you got punished. Doing that against higher lvl MKs will cost you a stock if you're not careful.

0:46 I don't know how quick your reaction is, but if you see MK using Grass Mixer nadoing towards you, it's pretty much a free bair. Higher lvl MKs love low shields. I see you were trying to punish him at the end. If MK doesn't auto-cancel nado, it's a free jab punish.

0:54 If you were about a step further from MK, you can f-tilt him out of his f-tilt.

1:02 MK's f-smash has very low cooldown. It's very difficult to punish him while you're in the air.

1:48 You shouldn't have f-aired at MK's shield. It's too slow and MK will shuttle loop you.

2:07 Counter? No. No. No. Not while you're offstage in that situation. You're just asking for a stock to be taken away from you.

2:16 Don't lock up when you're offstage with MK. When you see him drop down that low, he's planning to dair you. Immediately use your second jump and side-b back to the level. That may take a little practice, but it'll save you some stocks in the long run.

2:25 Stop jumping. Relax for a little bit. MK is just waltzing towards you, waiting for you to use an aerial.

2:57 You need to work a little more on your jab-canceling.

3:12 UpB? No. Not here. That leaves you wide open for attack.

3:17 Now you're really unnerved. This was a good opportunity to f-air MK.

3:37 And you f-aired... It cost you a stock this time.

Areas of improvement: Work on your jab-canceling skills. That's key in this match-up (as well as others). Don't dash attack, though I saw that you stopped after your second one. And really, keep a calm mind about it. As soon as you get nervous, you're going to have a more difficult time dealing with this match-up. I don't have any remedies for nervousness, so you're on your own.

I might come back and take a look at Game 2. But for now...

Edit: Okay, I guess I shouldn't procrastinate any longer. Let's get this over with already.

Game 2

0:06 He nadoed towards you. That's your chance to b-air him.

0:16 Again, he nadoed towards you. Free b-air.

0:31 I can't stress this enough, but you have to get your jab-canceling down to a tee. If you don't think that you'll manage, just do the full jab combo instead, like you did here.

0:40 MK's f-tilt is just out of his range. You can f-tilt his if you space it.

0:46 It seemed like you wanted to go for it but you changed your mind at the last second. Being finicky is not good vs high tiers. Either go for it or don't. This slip-up cost you a stock.

0:53 I saw that you were about to dash attack. Don't do it. It'll save you some damage.

1:00-1:15 You seemed desperate to try to hit MK. Rushing in and hoping to hit him is something MK feeds on. He knows you're going to mess up big time, especially since you're literally down by a stock. Plus, that windmill didn't like you either. Slow down, please.

1:21 F-tilt? Not good in this situation. Again, you're down by a stock, and MK wants you to throw out attacks so that he can punish you for them.

1:28 I'm going to hound you about this every time I see you dash attack. Get it out of your system. The only time you should think about dash attacking is after you grab-release MK.

2:01 He nadoed toward you. Free b-air.

2:57 No. Stop countering. You're left open for attack.

3:01 Hey, what's this person's smashboards account name? I need to send him an invitation.

3:18 You dash attacked. And look at where you ended up. Stop doing it.

Ugh... It looks like you were more flustered on Game 2 than you were on Game 1. MK was just playing around with you this game; that's what it seemed from my point of view. MK is the hardest match-up that Ike has, so if you're just starting out playing against MK, I wouldn't fret too much. Patience is key in this match-up. Don't attack him blindly. Use n-air to try to bait him into coming in to attack you. Watch how he reacts after you use n-air. Does MK shield a lot? Grab more. You're almost guaranteed a pummel to dash attack, if he's not at the ledge. Does he try to attack you? Shield and grab, or jab. Usually MK will use dash attack, so chances are he's going to pop behind you if you shield it. Does he dash in and grab? Dash back and pivot grab or b-air him. I've made my b-air stale in this match-up. Jab->Jab->u-tilt usually works, but work on your jab-canceling. That's funny, though. Every time I tried jab-u-tilt, I ended up getting d-aired by MK. Oh well.

Someone else ought to shed some light here. I've left my 2 cents in.

And now that I'm done here...

Esper~

Smash Cadet
We played the 2nd round immediately afterwards and he asked as if I played it like a set. ;-; Then he trolled me I guess.

I'm a bit timid about every situation with Ike because I'm scared that if I goof up I'll take a ton of damage, and alas I did every time I did so.

I'll stop using Dash attack =x

I wasn't aware I did so many things bad. xD thank you for this, I usually can't get an honest opinion from anyone because they say the same thing "you're good with Ike, keep doing what you're doing" so I get lost. =P I'll try and work on these areas, and thanks once again.

Edit: and his smashboards name is Kola (if you were really asking xD)

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Watching you play has sort of helped me see some of my own errors. It kind of felt like I was the one playing against a particular MK there, hence the reason why my critique seemed harsh. If the MK knows the match-up very well, or if he plays really patient, then you're going to have a very hard time against him.

Oh yeah, I sent Kola an invitation. :awesome:

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Double Post because I want TX7Killian to see this.
Okay. It doesn't seem like anyone else has stepped up to the plate, so I'll have to step in. I'll pick out on the things you shouldn't be doing in this match-up (or stuff that you shouldn't be doing period). Bear with me.

Video 1

0:05 F-air? Sorry. Wrong move. Marth is coming towards you. As soon as he jumps, you're at a disadvantage. All of his moves come out faster than yours.

0:09 I'll admit this was a better time to use f-air. As long as you're jumping with Marth and are out of his f-air range, you can hit him with your f-air. Remember that Marth's air-speed is the same as Ike's.

0:16 Use Dash attack sparingly. I don't go for Dash attack unless I know it's going to push either one of us off the ledge. Marth didn't punish you this time.

0:22 You could've grabbed your opponent instead of trying to u-smash him. Jab works here, as well.

0:25 NO! Never Up+B against Marth with your back faced against the wall! You're just begging for a tipper f-smash. Fortunately, he didn't f-smash you. But this is just a warning against higher lvl Marths. Well... I suppose Leon and I are the only ones who hit Ike out of up+B with tipper f-smash consistently.

0:33 I see you were trying to go for the hard read with a charged u-smash. Marth's damage is not high enough for a kill, so I wouldn't use u-smash here.

0:44 Again with the charged u-smash? It's apparent you like to kill with u-smash. A higher lvl marth will see that you're trying to kill with that, so now they're not going to get hit by it. You missed 3 times so far.

0:58 You tried to f-air Marth after he hit you, but it didn't get you anywhere. I've seen many people with that "I gotta hit you back fast" syndrome. Slow down. You're too close to try to f-air Marth.

1:00 Were you trying to get off the platform and f-air again? If so, it wouldn't have worked; you're too close to Marth, again.

1:23 Marth's on the platform. He's running towards you. There's a high chance that Marth will land his next attack. Turns out he went for the spike. Remember how Marth kills you so that you'll be ready for it next time.

1:36 Marth's ahead by a stock. There's no reason for him to approach you, so don't throw out that u-smash.

1:40 Why did you try to u-air him? You think he's going to run into it? He has the stock lead, so he's waiting for you to come to him.

1:44 Again with the f-air after being hit? Get that out of your system. It doesn't work against Marth, especially if he's that close to you.

2:17 You used up-b with your back facing the ledge again. You're asking for a tipper f-smash from Marth. I suppose you don't have much to worry about against this Marth since he has yet to punish you for doing this. But do keep in mind that Marth has a guaranteed tipper f-smash on you if you keep using up-b like that. It's better to take a counter than a tipper f-smash.

2:41 I sent you an invitation because of what happened here.

2:50 That was a very desperate thing to do. I would've lost a stock against the Marth I played against, for he would've edge-hogged me.

3:00 There was ABSOLUTELY NO REASON for you to drop down and b-air him. Let him drop down to his death. Because of that, he lived.

3:00-3:20 This wouldn't be happening if you had just let him fall to the blast zone. You're trying to fish for kills, and Marth knows that. Slow down. He has the stock lead.

3:25 What happened? You suddenly seem scared to go offstage vs Marth. If you had grabbed the ledge while he was trying to up-b, he'd pop over the level, and you'd be able to kill him with ledge release -> second jump -> immediately buffered u-air. Those three steps need to be performed posthaste if you want to land a kill like that vs Marth.

3:27 There was no reason to pivot grab him. He has his shield up, so go up to him and grab him.

3:30 Stop f-airing at Marth at such close proximities. You need to be out of his tipper f-air range if you want to try to f-air him.

3:36 What was that? You should've stayed on the ledge and let Marth drop down to the blast zone.

4:16 Before 4:13, Marth had used his up+b to snap onto the ledge. He now has BSL (Bull**** Lag). At 4:13, Marth used standing b while landing on the stage. He still has BSL. You knocked him offstage and charged an f-smash. If he airdodges, you can hit him after he lands. His landing animation is horrible if BSL is still active. BSL deactivates as soon as he lands on the stage. It wasn't necessary for you to shield after you missed the f-smash.

4:20 Stop trying to f-air Marth at close range, especially since the both of you are coming towards each other. All of his aerials come out way before your f-air.

4:23 Props to you for teching that.

4:30 You probably wondered where your second jump went. I noticed that you used your second jump at 4:28. Pay attention to the game screen. If you look closely, you'll notice some bluish white rings expand from where Ike last was before he was sent flying. That indicates that a double jump has been used.

Areas of Improvement: You tried fishing for kills after you b-aired Marth on his second stock while he was dropping to his death. If you get too aggressive, throwing your sword around like a madman, Marth will back off from you and let your lag punish you. It's rather difficult to catch up if you're relentlessly trying to kill Marth, so take a breather and slow down. Also, you f-aired too much at him while either the both of you were going towards each other or you were too close to him. Stop that. You won't win against Marth that way. He'll rack up too much damage on you too quickly. You played the match decently, but I'm sure you can improve if you keep at it some more.

That concludes the first video. I'll get to the other two videos later if I feel like it.

Edit: Alright. I guess it's time to start on the second video.

Video 2

0:16 You u-aired Marth here, then he fell off. Usually, he can double jump, but if you see him pratfall like he did in this situation, it's a free f-tilt. But you managed to punish him anyway, so good read.

0:31 Marth f-smashed you. I'm not absolutely certain that b-air connects since Marth's f-smash pushes you far enough. You could turn around and attempt to jab him, but be aware that he can up-b you before the hitbox comes out. This is one of those reading situations. Watch what your opponent does.

0:40 I'm surprised dash attack actually connected. Don't get too comfortable using dash attack, though.

Up until 0:43 I noticed that you've been running into Marth without throwing out an attack. What were you trying to do? Were you trying to run up to him and shield?

0:46 Marth is offstage. Now's your chance to grab the ledge and edgehog him. Was there something that some Marth did to you that makes you afraid to go offstage? At least you managed to kill him anyway.

0:54 Don't side-b towards Marth. The hitbox that activates the attack is so large, and if you swing at nothing, you're left open for any type of punishment.

0:57 D-air syndrome. Don't do it. You miss and get punished for it. Your number one priority is landing, since you've lost your second jump.

0:59 Why did you f-air? You had the ledge.

1:07 What happened here? You didn't do anything, except fall. I already sent you an invitation, and I can't send another one to you. Marth is currently at 0% damage, so you should focus on getting back on the stage.

1:31 Stop dash attacking. You're fortunate that he didn't punish you for it this time.

1:42 Too slow on the f-smash. That's a move you need to be absolutely certain about. Miss and get punished severely.

2:02 Marth was in his shield, and his back was facing the edge. If you knock him off with a n-air, he'll slip off and fall.

2:21 There was no reason to u-air right there.

3:07 Put Marth off the stage with f-throw next time. It puts him in a pretty bad position.

3:30 You should've up-b a bit sooner, going under the stage too far puts you in great danger.

3:35 B-throw Marth so that he'll be offstage. He's in kill range now.

3:43 You should've snapped the ledge and force Marth onstage. That would pretty much guarantee a u-air, thus securing your victory.

Thoughts on this game: There were times when you could've killed Marth by edgehogging him, but it seems like you're afraid to go offstage. I suppose the way to remedy that is to play a lot of friendlies and go offstage more often. There's a lot to experiment with while you're offstage, and I can't seem to list them off the top of my head at the moment. You did perform a little better in this round than you did the last one.

That concludes the second video. I'll eventually work on the third one.

Edit 2: Okay, it's time for Game 3.

Game 3

0:04 Bad start. You don't lead with u-smash. Even if you managed to hit Marth, he can still punish you. In higher lvl play, it's f-throw to tipper f-smash that ranges between 20-25% damage.

0:18 What you did was fine here, but just know that you could've f-smashed him here.

0:20 By this time, you should realize that Marth likes to attack a lot. I rarely saw him air-dodge in the last two games, if he did at all. So u-smash wouldn't be good in this situation.

0:27 You keep using f-air towards the ledge. Marth was too low to get hit by f-air, and you lost your stock because he nicked you.

0:34 Why'd you counter here? That's not a move to use, unless you're trolling around.

1:58 It's never good to land near a shielding Marth. He usually waits for you to attack so that he can punish, or he'll just grab you while you land. You have either 2 or 4 frames where you can't shield after you land.

2:15 Stay on the ledge next time and let Marth fall to his death. Because you b-aired him, he lives for a little while.

2:33 U-air? No. Sorry. Not in this situation. He's too far away from you.

3:07 Marth's not near you. There's no need to u-air.

3:24 It's not good to land near Marth. He'll hit you as soon as you land, and you have either 2 or 4 frames where you can't do anything.

Evaluation: You like to throw out attacks while you're nowhere near your opponent. There's no reason for you to do that. You tend to u-smash a lot. Don't do it when your opponent is at low damage. Don't land near Marth. He's going to punish you just about every time you land near him. If you fish for kills, the opponent will just watch you and punish you when your guard is down.

Anyway, that's all I have to say about this critique.

And with that...

TX7Killian

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the critique, Mr.Doom!
Some DA's I just wanted to turn around and Jab, but I push to fast
Bad wifi syndrome
Good **** I stopped playing wifi

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I'll try the one where you lost. I'm not as good as the other guys at this but I'll try.

0:00 - 0:13 : Nice keepaway. You didn't fall for Lucario's dair bait. Usmash is somewhat usesful since it punishes dair, too.

0:14 - If you aren't sure if a grab will work, try jabbing first. It's overall more reliable to use over grab, especially out of shield.

0:18 - You seem to be hesitant when Lucario is above you. If Lucario is directly above you, it's wiser to remain on the ground, but you have the aerial advantage if you come at him horizontally. You can throw a fair or retreating bair to at least pressure him.

0:22 - Again with the grab out of shield of Lucario's dair. It might be wiser to try some other options out of shield like jab or retreating bair, or if you predict a dair, just beat it out with an aerial. If it doesn't work, consider other options.

0:28 - Tried jab, and got him with the kick. Nice. The Lucario is just throwing out moves all over the place. Hopefully we see you beating out his moves.

0:30 - uair is a poor move to use when someone is above if you're planning on hitting. It's good if you predict an air dodge. Otherwise, fair/bair is probably better. Nair is not as effective on Lucario due to lack of range. Save uair for hard reads.

0:49 - when you dthrow Lucario, if you're going to attack, make sure to get horizontal of him. Usmash is also another option since it ducks underneath dair and Lucario doesn't fall fast enough to punish reliably.

1:10 - Got away with the QD, but watch out. It was a necessary risk because of his movements and aurasphere, though. It is easier to recover on here against lucario with aether since aether goes so far into the stage.

1:13 - Grab missed again. Needs more jab. The missed grab would have been okay if you didn't panic roll. Dashing/getting away is usually better, but since there was a wall, the best way to escape would have been to jump and hold down through the windmill.

1:30 Nice up to here. Got away when you noticed danger, DId the aurasphere well. Probably wanted to QD to the platform, though. Hold it too long and you're a sitting duck.

1:39 - Watch out! DA out of shield is not a good option at all since they expect retaliation, retaliate with something quick, not really slow. This is not a good distance so trying to retreat for another try may have worked out differently.

1:42 - Nice staying alive so long. It's not wise to jump backwards facing the enemy when you're so close. Nair/fair is not fast enough to stop a quick Lucario action. If you weren't facing him you could have baird for instance.

1:46 - What happened here? You started to play recklessly, throwing out random moves. Your keepaway was working well up until now.

2:00 - Got your act together a little bit. Jabs began to hit. You predicted Lucario's attack but let go of shield too early. Just make sure to be calm in this situation since you're in total control here.

2:02 - Watch the dash attack. You can't start it when the opponent is so close you'll run through him anways. Dash attack is good against opponents who are just landing, or if they're offstage, or if they're in the middle of an animation (pikmin throw, grenade toss).

2:12 - woah don't blow your lead. You can QD underneath aurasphere, and you can aether underneath the stage. No need to aether right into aurasphere multiple times in a row.

2:30 - you had him! Remember to stay calm. If you feel pressure, just jab or run away, but the opponent completely messed up here.

2:40 - you're starting to nervously spot dodge and roll all over the place in hopes that he messes up and you get your free grab. Remember, Ike can compete with Lucario up close, so just play it normally. Jab can lead to grab anyways. Rolling and spot dodging around only made things worse when the stage was about to transition anyways.

2:44 - Another grab OoS missed

2:52 - That is why I mentioned earlier how it's not good if you jump facing the opponent when they're too close. You get in a disadvantaged position since a quick offensive can get you.

3:06 - woah there! dair into shield? Your keepaway was starting to let you come back a little until then.

3:11 - very telegraphed attack. Remember that if you miss an fair, most dash attacks/grabs will reach you. Trying to regain stage control should be your focus around this time, since you don't want to be stuck near the edge at higher percents.

3:18 - nice, trying to get back to the middle of the stage.

3:27 - Make sure to retreat the aerials, even if there isn't much room (don't fastfall if you're that worried). Almost every time you got up this way you tried to attack him with an aerial, so he probably expected this and punished easily. Watch out when you're doing similar things in a pattern.

4:04 - Ftilt was not wise. If you really wanted to keep pressuring him, fair would have been nice, but there probably was a hint to get away a little when he started to spam that fsmash.

Overall even in the match you lost you played decently. You did well until you started to randomly make really large mistakes. It turned from an easy 2-stock to a loss.
I recommend fleshing out your out of shield options, and spacing under pressure.

I also recommend getting observing more of your options when you're at the edge. I never saw a punishing aether or release hop air dodge/aerial much even as a mixup to the full ledgehop. Probably due to caution because it was PS1.

There were also times when you decided to get greedy and used unsafe attacks. Be patient, and use these high risk moves only when you're really sure of an opponent's pattern at that specific instance.

Some tips on Lucario/ PS1
You can QD underneath auraspheres. It's best not to hope you won't get hit if you aether at a wrong time.
You can go underneath PS1 aether as far as you can, and hold back while spinning and you'll always reach the edge. This makes it harder for Lucario to harass you at the edge.

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
so many things o.o
Yeah I often blow my lead this way, either try risky stuff or go in autopilot mode, or repeat the same thing over and over...
I read all of this very carefully, thanks a lot!

Top Bottom