• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Marth Video Critique Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Ok the Marth, I am going to do an in depth critique:

Beginning to :14- Why did you just run on the platform when it was going over Sheik's head, and then go off and randomly F-smash. The platform is used as a stall tool so you can't get hit if you are far away from the opponent, its great for approaching the IC's. However, you don't stay on it or go on it when it is traveling over someone's head. Same with the random F-smash that would never hit. It does have ending lag.

:15- You full hop your first aerial, after full hopping twice. Learn to short hop or you'll never be good.

:16- You foolishly landed in close range of your opponent, your gonna get ***** if you do this continuously because your putting yourself in a situation where they can punish your small landing lag and go for a jab or F-tilt

:16- You start dancing blade, it hits, you stop and just stand there. Complete it if the first one hits, I prefer the up or normal variety depending on their DI.

:21- Try throwing out a DB there, instead of an F-smash. Fresh F-smash kills, and DB does a lot of damage.

:24- After missing the grab, you roll under your opponent. Not smart a Sheik, even on wifi, especially so close to the ledge. He should have been able to D-smash you and possibly bair you to your death.

:28- You SH and yet for abslutely no reason you double jump, putting the opponent beneath you. Try to make sure you can keep the opponent in front yof you and don't double jump unless its needed, especially if you didn't hit the opponent with with the first aerial.

:33- Because of your roll fest, the Sheik is smart enough to punish you and hits you with an F-smash. Spot dodge more often.

:34 to :39- He F-smashes twice obviously, you have F-tilt use it. He smashed 4 times in a row, and none of them were directed at you, he was stuck near the ledge, he was in range. Attack him.

:41- You fair through him, instead of using a retreating fair. By doing so, you leave yourself much more vulnerable.

:44- Another FH and you try to directly attack him from it. You should have been grabbed, but he didn't shield which he should be done.

:48- Smart D-tilt, now try to follow it up. You had a decent approach with the fair there, but you followed it up with the D-tilt nicely.

:50- What are you doing?? Bair this fool. You had easy frames where he would have died due to bair and it would have been an instant stage spike. Instead you choose to jump and seeing this the guy grabs the ledge while you B-up. If he hadn't footstooled you by accident, it would have been a free aerial.

:52-SH that uair, your not gonna hit an opponent who is near the ground with a FHed uair. Go for a SH uair to U-tilt or U-tilt there.

:56- Way too close to your opponent, if your gonna go over him give yourself space and bair. Instead you DBed, which as an attack in the air isn't that smart.

:57- Complete your DB's, he's got so much less damage as a result.

:58- If he's already jumped, don't do a full DB. Especially the down variety. Your just giving yourself a lot of time to be punished.

1:01- Don't count in this ever happening, he had enough time to shield if he was smart or it was offline. he saw you in the roll but chose to F-tilt again, if you roll under someone, go for a D-tilt, jab, or DB. Your almost never gonna hit a F-smash.

1:03- You telegraphed a fair there and he didn't air dodge, it was FHed too so it would have been easy to avoid. Instead, try to go for a uair and go for a juggle with uair and U-tilt. Get under him and do so.

1:04- Do that F-smash or a D-tilt, normally go for a D-tilt. Faster and more ****. Fortunately, the Sheik did almost the worst DI and decided to approach the ledge and then chain, instead of just grabbing it. He would have been safe if he:

DIed away and chained, DIed away and B-upped, or grabbed the ledge

1:08- Learn to read when your opponent will and will not make the stage. Its crucial to do so. You just put yourself in a position of power, where you should have pushed away and faired, to a position of weakness where he is onstage and your aren't.

I'm done critiquing this for now, I'll do more later. This is constructional advice, don't view it as personal.

The Marth

Smash Apprentice
Ok the Marth, I am going to do an in depth critique:

Beginning to :14- Why did you just run on the platform when it was going over Sheik's head, and then go off and randomly F-smash. The platform is used as a stall tool so you can't get hit if you are far away from the opponent, its great for approaching the IC's. However, you don't stay on it or go on it when it is traveling over someone's head. Same with the random F-smash that would never hit. It does have ending lag.

:15- You full hop your first aerial, after full hopping twice. Learn to short hop or you'll never be good.

:16- You foolishly landed in close range of your opponent, your gonna get ***** if you do this continuously because your putting yourself in a situation where they can punish your small landing lag and go for a jab or F-tilt

:16- You start dancing blade, it hits, you stop and just stand there. Complete it if the first one hits, I prefer the up or normal variety depending on their DI.

:21- Try throwing out a DB there, instead of an F-smash. Fresh F-smash kills, and DB does a lot of damage.

:24- After missing the grab, you roll under your opponent. Not smart a Sheik, even on wifi, especially so close to the ledge. He should have been able to D-smash you and possibly bair you to your death.

:28- You SH and yet for abslutely no reason you double jump, putting the opponent beneath you. Try to make sure you can keep the opponent in front yof you and don't double jump unless its needed, especially if you didn't hit the opponent with with the first aerial.

:33- Because of your roll fest, the Sheik is smart enough to punish you and hits you with an F-smash. Spot dodge more often.

:34 to :39- He F-smashes twice obviously, you have F-tilt use it. He smashed 4 times in a row, and none of them were directed at you, he was stuck near the ledge, he was in range. Attack him.

:41- You fair through him, instead of using a retreating fair. By doing so, you leave yourself much more vulnerable.

:44- Another FH and you try to directly attack him from it. You should have been grabbed, but he didn't shield which he should be done.

:48- Smart D-tilt, now try to follow it up. You had a decent approach with the fair there, but you followed it up with the D-tilt nicely.

:50- What are you doing?? Bair this fool. You had easy frames where he would have died due to bair and it would have been an instant stage spike. Instead you choose to jump and seeing this the guy grabs the ledge while you B-up. If he hadn't footstooled you by accident, it would have been a free aerial.

:52-SH that uair, your not gonna hit an opponent who is near the ground with a FHed uair. Go for a SH uair to U-tilt or U-tilt there.

:56- Way too close to your opponent, if your gonna go over him give yourself space and bair. Instead you DBed, which as an attack in the air isn't that smart.

:57- Complete your DB's, he's got so much less damage as a result.

:58- If he's already jumped, don't do a full DB. Especially the down variety. Your just giving yourself a lot of time to be punished.

1:01- Don't count in this ever happening, he had enough time to shield if he was smart or it was offline. he saw you in the roll but chose to F-tilt again, if you roll under someone, go for a D-tilt, jab, or DB. Your almost never gonna hit a F-smash.

1:03- You telegraphed a fair there and he didn't air dodge, it was FHed too so it would have been easy to avoid. Instead, try to go for a uair and go for a juggle with uair and U-tilt. Get under him and do so.

1:04- Do that F-smash or a D-tilt, normally go for a D-tilt. Faster and more ****. Fortunately, the Sheik did almost the worst DI and decided to approach the ledge and then chain, instead of just grabbing it. He would have been safe if he:

DIed away and chained, DIed away and B-upped, or grabbed the ledge

1:08- Learn to read when your opponent will and will not make the stage. Its crucial to do so. You just put yourself in a position of power, where you should have pushed away and faired, to a position of weakness where he is onstage and your aren't.

I'm done critiquing this for now, I'll do more later. This is constructional advice, don't view it as personal.
O_O Muy gracias. Lol so I got roll less, Smarter DB, spot dodge more, and I need to learn how to SH fairs on wifi... And spam f-smash less.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
You do understand it's not because he's on a high horse, but because wifi is a ****ing terrible display of skill.

:rolleyes:

wifi is really good unless its lagging, a good convenient way to get better.
If said this in the other thread why can't the videos be critique PD explain to me since I don't understand clearly.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
:rolleyes:

If said this in the other thread why can't the videos be critique PD explain to me since I don't understand clearly.
It can help you get better at some things in certain instances, this is true. Matchup exp, some tech skill, yeah. But it will always fail to display the level of skill as offline play. A good place to develop, NOT a good place to show your true prowess. Not to mention lag screws everything up, no matter how small.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
It can help you get better at some things in certain instances, this is true. Matchup exp, some tech skill, yeah. But it will always fail to display the level of skill as offline play. A good place to develop, NOT a good place to show your true prowess. Not to mention lag screws everything up, no matter how small.
Okay so if he's trying to develop his skills or me or anyone else and where using wifi why are wifi vids being ignored if everything is meant to enhance someones skill ?

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
Okay so if he's trying to develop his skills or me or anyone else and where using wifi why are wifi vids being ignored if everything is meant to enhance someones skill ?
The point of a video critique is not to see you practicing skill or matchups.

It's meant to see how you really play, usually when something's on the line, and then try and help you using that. That's why friendlies are bad to critique sometimes, too. It's also very hard to point out some errors when those might not be errors at all but just wifi being gay.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
The point of a video critique is not to see you practicing skill or matchups.

It's meant to see how you really play, usually when something's on the line, and then try and help you using that. That's why friendlies are bad to critique sometimes, too. It's also very hard to point out some errors when those might not be errors at all but just wifi being gay.
I don't think there's two different ways to play from offline to online. Also why does something need to be on the line?

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
I don't think there's two different ways to play from offline to online. Also why does something need to be on the line?
I said the only thing online is good for is for practicing skill. Why would I want to critique you practicing something, because that's pretty much what you should be using it for.

Going to tournaments isn't a luxury. It's part of playing a competitive game. You live in a state that has at least A tournament every weekend if not more. I'm 16 and live in the middle of butt**** nowhere and still find my way to tournaments. Find a ride. Go to tournaments. No johns.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
The only thing I disagreed slightly was online critique. Even though it isn't a good indicator of skill (I get 2 stocked often online by this one guy and don't go under 2 stocking him IRL) but that doesn't mean you can't fix bad habits by watching what you do in practice.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I said the only thing online is good for is for practicing skill. Why would I want to critique you practicing something, because that's pretty much what you should be using it for.

Going to tournaments isn't a luxury. It's part of playing a competitive game. You live in a state that has at least A tournament every weekend if not more. I'm 16 and live in the middle of butt**** nowhere and still find my way to tournaments. Find a ride. Go to tournaments. No johns.
It is a luxury because some people can't even go to tournaments. I don't give a **** how old you are TBH. Things are a lot easier when you're 16 but whatever. You guys all said going to tourneys is a way to improve so if I show tourney vids of my self how is that any different than showing wifi matches. You have it good and you don't understand how nice you have it don't take that **** for granted.

clowsui

Smash Legend
lmao transportation wise and control wise it's not true, at age 16 your life is basically dominated by what your parents want you to do unless they don't really care about you that much

school is also ridiculous at age 16 esp. if you take hard classes, you wake up at like 6:30 and get to school at 7:30 or w/e and you stay in some stuffy-azz building 5 days of the week for 7-8 hours with only one thirty minute break.

with asian parents it's even MORE difficult, i get out to one tourney every like 2 months. the first two tourneys i went to i hosted myself...and that took a LOT of convincing on my part

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
It is a luxury because some people can't even go to tournaments. I don't give a **** how old you are TBH. Things are a lot easier when you're 16 but whatever. You guys all said going to tourneys is a way to improve so if I show tourney vids of my self how is that any different than showing wifi matches. You have it good and you don't understand how nice you have it don't take that **** for granted.
you don't know anything about me, stop making like you do. Kthxbai

If someone is nice enough (like alex) to critique your wifi matches good for you. But you won't get as full a critique as you could if it was irl play. And the main reason we try not to critique wifi matches, is 1) To encourage Marths to get out and go to tournaments and 2)so we don't get flooded with tons and tons of wifi friendlies.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
One day, Mr. Effinawesomepants wanted to play some Brawl. No, not just play, but freakin' WRECK some scrubs. Yeah. But what to do? It was a weekday of no tournaments and he had no friends none of his friends happened to be around. "Ah, hah!" Mr. Effinawesomepants exclaimed. "I will **** other people on the Internets! ALL OF THEM!!" (the Internets, not the people)

And so Mr. Effinawesomepants signed on to Brawl Wifi and found another player. Being as effin' awesome (and pants) as Mr. Effinawesomepants, he naturally selected Marth, and proceeded to face an Ike. "Hah, Ike!" Mr. Effinawesomepants said with glee. "Easy win!" And then his Marth did not stop running, and did not shield, when Ike charged a forward smash. Alas, the curse of 20-frame input lag (a third of a second for you proletariat who don't understand frame time) had stricken Mr. Effinawesomepants, who previously relied on such wonderful abilities such as reflexes and timing (and perhaps as a byproduct, spacing), and ****ing *****slapped him for thinking he could keep relying on those things. 'Cause, you know, it's not like reflexes and timing are actually useful in the real world, either.

****ing scrub.

Don't let Nintendo Wifi input lag happen to you, Marth players! Get some friends (who can drive), get a ride to a tournament, and **** face in a PROPER environment.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
One day, Mr. Effinawesomepants wanted to play some Brawl. No, not just play, but freakin' WRECK some scrubs. Yeah. But what to do? It was a weekday of no tournaments and he had no friends none of his friends happened to be around. "Ah, hah!" Mr. Effinawesomepants exclaimed. "I will **** other people on the Internets! ALL OF THEM!!" (the Internets, not the people)

And so Mr. Effinawesomepants signed on to Brawl Wifi and found another player. Being as effin' awesome (and pants) as Mr. Effinawesomepants, he naturally selected Marth, and proceeded to face an Ike. "Hah, Ike!" Mr. Effinawesomepants said with glee. "Easy win!" And then his Marth did not stop running, and did not shield, when Ike charged a forward smash. Alas, the curse of 20-frame input lag (a third of a second for you proletariat who don't understand frame time) had stricken Mr. Effinawesomepants, who previously relied on such wonderful abilities such as reflexes and timing (and perhaps as a byproduct, spacing), and ****ing *****slapped him for thinking he could keep relying on those things. 'Cause, you know, it's not like reflexes and timing are actually useful in the real world, either.

****ing scrub.

Don't let Nintendo Wifi input lag happen to you, Marth players! Get some friends (who can drive), get a ride to a tournament, and **** face in a PROPER environment.
ROFL.

You have made me laugh. Now go back to your slave work, Ranking Boi! >:O

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Ankoku won the entire thread.

Also almostlegendary I'm not the only elitist here, the BOARD is elitist. The Marth boards are known for it. Emblem Lord declared it as such awhile ago and it caught on. We're the most advanced board on this site because of it. I'm sorry, as much as I do like to help people if you can't handle it, either grow up or leave. You're causing disturbances here which is resulting in a lot of unnecessary posts and quite honestly, making everything look bad.

Other people may critique wifi, but I'm not. Too many factors to take into consideration such as Ankoku's ****mazing post.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Wow@ community isn't the best. Productive boards have a very good community who get together and figure **** out. Marth boards stand at the top here. However, if by community you mean people who hand everything out on a silver platter then nah, that's not us.

When a lot of us Marth's met at COT4 we had an amazing time. If every Marth on this board in the country met we would have non-stop rave parties.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
The community is the only reason anyone here is still playing Brawl competitively.

I'm not saying that because SWF exist that we play Brawl. I'm saying because SWF and AiB have productive communities is why we're still playing it.

Because aside from easy money for the pros, this game is trash.

folk!

Smash Apprentice

****ing scrub.

lol :) :):):):) :)

feardragon64

Smash Champion
The community on the SWF Marth boards is great for certain kinds of people. Generally people who are fairly cynical and/or elitist tend to thrive here. You don't have to be. But you have to be able to tolerate it or you will think the SWF Marth boards community sucks. Sure it's probably one of the most productive character boards on SWF. Nobody semi-intelligent will deny that. But as far as liking the community, that's a personal taste.

As for what viet said, that's the logic of the intelligent people who realize the game is trash(in comparison to other games). The rest of the community is filled with scrubs who actually do think brawl is a good competitive game.

I might be among those scrubs but I can pride myself in being intelligent enough to know that brawl is trash game.

And ya, anko won the wifi debate pretty hard.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Ankoku won the entire thread.

Also almostlegendary I'm not the only elitist here, the BOARD is elitist. The Marth boards are known for it. Emblem Lord declared it as such awhile ago and it caught on. We're the most advanced board on this site because of it. I'm sorry, as much as I do like to help people if you can't handle it, either grow up or leave. You're causing disturbances here which is resulting in a lot of unnecessary posts and quite honestly, making everything look bad.

Other people may critique wifi, but I'm not. Too many factors to take into consideration such as Ankoku's ****mazing post.
Is this supposed to be something your proud of? Its just rather sad that some people get a litttle bit of success at like their **** don't stick and forget where they started at and how they got to where they are. but whatever.

you don't know anything about me, stop making like you do. Kthxbai

If someone is nice enough (like alex) to critique your wifi matches good for you. But you won't get as full a critique as you could if it was irl play. And the main reason we try not to critique wifi matches, is 1) To encourage Marths to get out and go to tournaments and 2)so we don't get flooded with tons and tons of wifi friendlies.
Your right I don't know anything about you however you making it seem easy to go out of state to travel to tournaments is asinine. Especially at the age of 16 some parents don't let people do that. Hell I knew ppl that were 25 with curfews so like I said you should be grateful that you're able to go. If people only have Wifi matches to go to and want to improve there's no harm in critiquing their videos.

Right now the marth boards is just a circle jerk for some well known marth it doesn't even attempt to encourage others Marth and a couple of yall attitudes is **** and it just drives ppl away.

Vitamin_x

Smash Apprentice
Wow I fall asleep and this is what I come back to.
Wifi is good for learning, that is correct. However, it does not accurately show how you play. A wifi video critique will not give you the good feedback that you can get from an offline match. I've never been to a tournament either, but I'm waiting until I can get an offline vid against a decent player before I go asking for a critique.
Seriously, wifi (however much it may teach you) ≠ IRL.
I've lost to lots of people over wifi just to 2 stock them offline.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Am I proud of being a leader of the best community on Smashboards? Yes.

Did I used to suck and not know much about Smash? Yes.

I learned through multiple mentors and reading this board. Maybe everyone doesn't have the luxury of having top players teach and play with them, I just got lucky. But most of what I learned came through reading this board and I eventually caught on and advanced. Then I just got better through playing people. You're going to Viridian City soon. Watch and observe high levels of play and apply it to your own game. Watch their habits and bad habits and see why your gameplay isn't there yet. Don't ***** at us because we're not making it easy for you.

Right now the marth boards is just a circle jerk for some well known marth it doesn't even attempt to encourage others Marth and a couple of yall attitudes is **** and it just drives ppl away.
Wow. I'm usually never ever harsh to members on here, especially new players. But you're making this easier and easier. Go to the allisbrawl boards please.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Wow I fall asleep and this is what I come back to.
Wifi is good for learning, that is correct. However, it does not accurately show how you play. A wifi video critique will not give you the good feedback that you can get from an offline match. I've never been to a tournament either, but I'm waiting until I can get an offline vid against a decent player before I go asking for a critique.
Seriously, wifi (however much it may teach you) ≠ IRL.
I've lost to lots of people over wifi just to 2 stock them offline.
You can get someones general online skill level from online. TBH i don't see how you 2 stock ppl offline that end up losing to them online that doesn't make sense to me.

Am I proud of being a leader of the best community on Smashboards? Yes.

Did I used to suck and not know much about Smash? Yes.

I learned through multiple mentors and reading this board. Maybe everyone doesn't have the luxury of having top players teach and play with them, I just got lucky. But most of what I learned came through reading this board and I eventually caught on and advanced. Then I just got better through playing people. You're going to Viridian City soon. Watch and observe high levels of play and apply it to your own game. Watch their habits and bad habits and see why your gameplay isn't there yet. Don't ***** at us because we're not making it easy for you.

I'm not *****ing at you because you're not making it easy for me. All i said was that wifi matches shouldn't be ignored. I just think that's its real ****ty of you to do that just because a match is on wifi. Thus going back to your elitist attitude which isn't needed. When you went to other ppl for help and then when someone goes to you for help it's oh it's wifi **** off.

OverLade

Smash Hero
You can get someones general online skill level from online. TBH i don't see how you 2 stock ppl offline that end up losing to them online that doesn't make sense to me.
I 3 stocked someone who beat me online. Online is absolute garbage unless the connection is green, and even then it's not any accurate display of who would win. In some cases it may reflect accurately, but not NEAR enough to reflect offline play.

Things that work online may not work offline and things that you can pull off offline may be hard/impossible offline. You'll find yourself playing differently online to take advantage of lag. That may or may not work offline......

That's why online can never be used as an accurate judge of anything....though occasionally it may mildly reflex offline...

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
What the hell is online skill supposed to mean to anyone? Is that something like the skill to play Heavy 300% Metal Brawl? Because here's a hint - they both matter about the same amount.

I'm not *****ing at you because you're not making it easy for me. All i said was that wifi matches shouldn't be ignored. I just think that's its real ****ty of you to do that just because a match is on wifi. Thus going back to your elitist attitude which isn't needed. When you went to other ppl for help and then when someone goes to you for help it's oh it's wifi **** off.
Wifi matches are wifi matches but they're pretty stupid to critique. I once watched a wifi match I didn't know was wifi and I was wondering if the Marth player was like, intentionally doing moves a full second late or something, until one of them taunted.

Unless, of course, you normally play like a kid who has a severe problem processing information at a rate higher than two words a minute. "He just......... back aired.................. at me.................. I should.................... short hop.................... forward air." Whoops, you missed. Better luck next time.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
I'm ignoring them because I don't feel they are worth my time or YOUR time. There are FAR too many factors to consider why you may have made a certain mistake. And I'll be honest, for quite awhile now I've only been critiquing higher level matches. Other good members of our community such as Rukkiko etc have filled my place for your every day critiques. I have a lot of other reasons for not critiquing low level matches anymore, and it's not because I feel you're a waste of time.

However, you ARE wasting my time in having me respond to you. This is the last post I direct towards you unless there's actual, non-common sense and original advice you need from me, which I am happy to give. But for the moment, you're causing too much chaos in my critique thread.

Again, our elitist attitude which you say isn't needed made us the most advanced board on SWF. Something I, and a lot of other members are proud of. Bye

Vitamin_x

Smash Apprentice
AlMoStLeGeNdArY I don't see why you're freaking out about this. People aren't required to give you any critique in the first place. If they don't want to critique your video, then so be it. They have their reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom