• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Marth Video Critique Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shockdrake

Smash Cadet
Not sure if anyone will notice I was skipped:

-------
I've corrected a lot of things and implemented a few more tricks since these replays were saved, but feel free to point anything you see out, in case I missed something:

D3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cnu5wT7TEhw&feature=channel_page

Looking for both a full analysis and general tips if possible.

EDIT: We were both practicing pivot grabs, so don't mind some of the pivot grab lol-games.

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
im sorry i cant critique lool because i cant critique like yall i just go to tourneys and try to win

idk how people can critique without having alot of tournament experience o.o :070:

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
im sorry i cant critique lool because i cant critique like yall i just go to tourneys and try to win

idk how people can critique without having alot of tournament experience o.o :070:
Well I have tourney experienc enow, but before you can know and explain all the technical aspects of what you should, but cannot perform it. And there's so pros who can perform it, but can't exactly explain it since its so common knowledge to them. Quite the conundrum.

And @ uncritiqued vids, hopefully ill be on my comp tomorrow for those.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
1st vid: How did u NOT get edgehogged when u stalled with DB? All the MKs i face seem to anticipate it and speedhug me >.> and im not even using it any different. Either im doing something wrong or taht MK just needs to learn how to edgehog. You think he would get smart after seeing it the first time but.....

2nd vid: (1:14) that is why I always fsmash when i see a glide, oh and ROFL at the way the video ended

3rd vid: (see comment on 1st vid) i stopped watching after 3:00 *facepalm* -.-

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
^ I'm sure that helped him a lot. Try actually helping him out instead of spamming/flaming him for making a mental error.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
No, but at least look like you have an idea of what you're talking about. Giving false information = bad.

VGSteve

Smash Apprentice
You said yourself that you lack tournament experience, I don't care who good you might be, but that's the difference. Tournaments change everything, the way you look at the game, the way you play, think. Also, you don't nair out of a grab release, a fair is fine.

180sx, very impressive round, wifi and all. I couldn't pick anything out, but I'll have a closer look later. But you won, and that's what matters for now.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
You said yourself that you lack tournament experience, I don't care who good you might be, but that's the difference. Tournaments change everything, the way you look at the game, the way you play, think. Also, you don't nair out of a grab release, a fair is fine.

180sx, very impressive round, wifi and all. I couldn't pick anything out, but I'll have a closer look later. But you won, and that's what matters for now.
Why wouldn't you Nair out of grab release fair is stale and nair has greater knock back and ko potential.

VGSteve

Smash Apprentice
Grab releasing into a nair can be a little tricky and awkward. Fair was fine, it was a guaranteed hit that gave guaranteed damage. Better be safe than sorry.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Grab releasing into a nair can be a little tricky and awkward. Fair was fine, it was a guaranteed hit that gave guaranteed damage. Better be safe than sorry.
I was testing some things to make grab release come out and I found something wierd. If I tried to grab release MK without pummeling him b4 the grab release, then when i tried to dash after letting him go then it wouldnt work. But if i pummeled him once then grab released him i could get the dash to come out about 90% of the time (this move is wierd with the human reaction factor). Maybe I screwed up but this shocked me. Has any one else noticed this?

P.S. A trick i do when i grab release to make the dash come out is to double tap forward to dash instead of single tap the instant i realize MK has been released since buffering with single tap doesnt seem to work.

Vitamin_x

Smash Apprentice
I was testing some things to make grab release come out and I found something wierd. If I tried to grab release MK without pummeling him b4 the grab release, then when i tried to dash after letting him go then it wouldnt work. But if i pummeled him once then grab released him i could get the dash to come out about 90% of the time (this move is wierd with the human reaction factor). Maybe I screwed up but this shocked me. Has any one else noticed this?

P.S. A trick i do when i grab release to make the dash come out is to double tap forward to dash instead of single tap the instant i realize MK has been released since buffering with single tap doesnt seem to work.
LoL I double tap too. It doesn't seem to work to well unless I double tap dash.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691

That happens to me I just figured I sucked so thats why the dash wouldn't come out. I think I started double tapping I don't remember though. I need to practice it more. Although that may still be the reason why it's not working I guess I need to pay more attention to detail.

C.J.

Smash Master
It has to do with how the game buffers. There was a thread on it a long time ago somewhere. But yeah, if you buffer it and just hold it the game doesn't read it. If you tap it the game buffers that and then the double tap is what keeps the dash going.

BBoyindo

Smash Ace
Hey ehm, it's a bit late maybe, but about the tournament experience discussion.
Personally i don't think you need tournament experience to critique. If you are good at analyzing, correcting, and giving tips, then you can be a good critiquer. There are just some things you have to watch out for.
Make sure the information you give is legit and/or safe unless you say it isn't (goes for everyone).
Only critique if you are better then the one you critique, or if you simply see a lot of mistakes.
Don't simply point out the obvious, get more in depth and explain some strategies or link them to a thread.
For example, when i look at Almostlegendary's critique on the last page, i see that the post is almost of no use at all.
At the begin you said that he didn't edgeguard enough... IT'S FRIKKIN MK lol. You don't edgeguard MK everytime, it's suicide. The spike opportunities are not safe, and using a dair will most likely get you punished. 180sx just chose the safe route, nothing wrong with that. As said before grab release to fair is best. At those pivot grab moments It wasn't even possible since at the first one, they both shielded at the same time, and at the second one he did an up-smash.
While these are just mistakes, there isn't any info given about his actual playstyle, and what he can change about it. There were only some random tips given, which were all foul. Without tips on his playstyle, how can he improve?
I think all critiquers should think twice before they post their critique. I'm seeing a lot more "bad critiques" lately. Also Almostlegendary i just took your post as an example, no offence to you or anything.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
This is why Steel said critiquers step it up and some people feel you need tourney experience, so you actually KNOW what your saying. However, if people could critique w/o tourney experience by learning from the match-up threads, playing Wi-Fi, and watching vids of the good players.

I'm home all day, rainy day, gimme a vid to critique.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Critique: Shockdrake

Summary: OK basically you were better then your opponent and this was a testing friendly, we've established that. However, there's still some corrections in your play. In your testing, and sometimes when you weren't going for a pivot grab, you gave up too much space for D3 on the stage. A good D3 would camp and gay you for this. Next, your approach as predictable, I could tell what you were gonna do most of the match. Even though it clearly worked for you, some moves you chose to do weren't the safest, most efficient moves. But hey, it's a friendly. Finally some other minor things, if your DB strikes shield twice, discontinue it, as you'll get shield grabbed quite easily. Oh and I think you were trying to go for it, but FThrow x3 --> Fsmash *****. Good Marth man, next time make it a more serious match though just in case!

The Marth

Smash Apprentice
Hey 2nd I am thinking about putting up a video, and was wondering is it okay if I post a me vs. CPU match or must it be vs. a decently skilled smasher?

Thanks in advance.

The Marth

Smash Apprentice
Yeah wifi would be the only way I could get one up I think... and Marth+Wifi= Fail...

I'll just play that kid with the broken arm...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom