• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Ninja Spike Thread (Last Update: 11/12/09) Potential PS1 Tech Discoved.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Good job making a thread on something you can't test yourself.
Come onnnnn.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Why is that? I mean, I have the same problem. I play my friends and just feel like chucking my Brawl disc out the window.

Let me know if you ever feel like helping out...

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Middle platform, far right. I could only repeat this 3 times.

Thanks for trying. :mad:
Sonic, I could do consistently. Ike I only got it to work 3 times on.
He'll bounce off the top of the far right platform and land in the water. Hope for a klaptrap.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
My experience was you could Uthrowcide every character on PS1 while the windmill is out. I know for a fact that Kirby and DDD can be.

Also please explain more about jungle japes to me. It is very very intriguing.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Well Gonzo, you know the lowest part of Jungle Japes in the center? On the right ledge, upthrow Sonic at a certain angle, he'll bounce up to the far right platform, and land in the water. The only good use I can imagine for this is having your opponent hit a klaptrap and being spiked straight down.

I'm still trying to do this with more characters, but so far, Sonic's been the easiest.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
what do you mean angle??? i thought u could only Uthrow ... well upwards
I worded that wrong, I guess. If you stand in a specific postion, almost as close as you can get to the ledge, then upthrow, it'll get the stagespike.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
How would you DI it? It sounds like it works just like the other ones...

Also, the Klaptrap is on a timer. Everytime the seconds end in 7-9, try for the stagespike. He appears under the right platform at 7.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
You can go ahead and try DI'ing with a real human, but at 80%, it happens too fast for you to do anything.
I only tried this twice with another human, but that doesn't mean you can't disprove it.

See for yourself, get off that bawrl strike.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Bawrl, my good chum.
Bwarl sounds like something a walrus would mumble.

Why are you on strike anyway? o_o

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Oh god... A1 has gone stupid[er]!

Thrilla, that sounds great. By all means, please do.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Thanks! I'm not very fond of doing this all by myself. :(
I need you to test for yourself.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
Okay, I was looking at the list of levels that work, and remembered that the spacies have recovery trouble at PS1. I got the idea to try this out on Lylat against Lucario and got it to work right off the bat! Looking back at the footage, it seems to work if you start the u-throw when the stage is at it's lowest tilt. By the time you land, the stage starts to right itself and Lucario gets stage spiked. I got it to work on ZSS too.

This tech may deal directly with levels where the spacies have sweet-spot trouble. I know that PS1 and Lylat are on the list. Does anyone know the other stages? Also, this is just a theory, but Lucario and ZSS are decently thin. The reason why this works best on them may have something to do with the way they are built and the location of their hit boxes on impact.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
Okay, I was looking at the list of levels that work, and remembered that the spacies have recovery trouble at PS1. I got the idea to try this out on Lylat against Lucario and got it to work right off the bat! Looking back at the footage, it seems to work if you start the u-throw when the stage is at it's lowest tilt. By the time you land, the stage starts to right itself and Lucario gets stage spiked. I got it to work on ZSS too.

This tech may deal directly with levels where the spacies have sweet-spot trouble. I know that PS1 and Lylat are on the list. Does anyone know the other stages? Also, this is just a theory, but Lucario and ZSS are decently thin. The reason why this works best on them may have something to do with the way they are built and the location of their hit boxes on impact.
I'm in a bit of a rush tonight, but I'll add those to the list tomorrow.

So far, I've heard 2 theories:

1. When kirby lands on certain edges from the uthrow, the character's hurtbox extends slightly below the edge, resulting in a stagespike. (someone's theory, on previous page)

2. Kirby moves back when he uthrows, even when on the edge. This creates an "invisible floor" directly next to the edge, and the opponent crashes into the edge (t1mmy's theory; on AiB).

Nice find about Lylat...

And yea, I've suspected that people with strange hurtboxes like ZSS are more susceptible to this, though I'm confused as to why Sheik isn't.

Wait...I just thought of something...

I'm almost certain t1mmy's theory is right. That's the only way this makes sense...

alright, I was playing a sheik online, and I stagespiked them on PS1, which, when tested, epic failed. Since Sheik's hurtbox should always remain the same when uthrowed on impact, the only way that could've possibly worked is if my opponent had altered their flight into the edge, AKA DI'd, hence why I think you land slightly offstage. Some simple testing could be done, preferably in a slow brawl, which would determine whether or not t1mmy/myself are right...

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
2. Kirby moves back when he uthrows, even when on the edge. This creates an "invisible floor" directly next to the edge, and the opponent crashes into the edge (t1mmy's theory; on AiB).
This makes the most sense to me. Consider how if you're on Battlefield, or some stage with platforms, and you use Upthrow when you're not quite below the platform, but your back is next to it. You'll land ON the platform, whereas you won't if you're facing forward. It's something I learned long ago when I was trying to upthrow people on the platforms: you need to have your back to the edge or else you'll miss it.

Also, I'd like to say that thrillagorilla is amazing because his name is thrillagorilla and he has a Donkey Kirby avatar.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
alright, I was playing a sheik online, and I stagespiked them on PS1, which, when tested, epic failed. Since Sheik's hurtbox should always remain the same when uthrowed on impact, the only way that could've possibly worked is if my opponent had altered their flight into the edge, AKA DI'd, hence why I think you land slightly offstage. Some simple testing could be done, preferably in a slow brawl, which would determine whether or not t1mmy/myself are right...
Sounds good to me. I'll put in some testing time tomorrow. After reading the AiB thread, I have to say I think t!mmy's theory is right too. If the only requirement was getting the opponent's hurtbox under the stage, this tech should be working on characters like DK and Bowser with their over-sized hurtboxes.

Also, I'd like to say that thrillagorilla is amazing because his name is thrillagorilla and he has a Donkey Kirby avatar.
You, sir, rock. I would LOVE to sig this if you don't mind...

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
We got a gorilla for sale, magilla gorilla for sale, for sale...

Thanks for helping me out, Mr. Gorrila. :D

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
I found new stages that it works on! ^_^

A1 asked me to help with this and it looks like I was able to.

Note: I only tested this with Lucario so far. (He can't catch a break, can he?)

Video footage of spikes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PToirD2taKE

-It works on 3 places in New Pork City (Only one kills)

-The chained moving platform on Sky World (ONLY When the platform is rising upward)

-And the Falcon Flyer's nose on Big Blue

It's 6 AM.....I'm not trying anyone else tonight....<_<

Side note:
I'm sure this is already known, but I was seeing if there was a spikeable area on the back of the Rainbow Cruise Ship (there's not). But instead of spiking, I did a Kirbycide Throw. I'm sure I must have hit a platform on the top & it moved me a bit. I couldn't replicate it no matter what, so I'm sure it's a VERY small area, which makes it even more completely useless.
Just telling you it's there if you didn't know.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
New Pork City? >.>

It's a shame no one ever plays there...ever...

Katari, I think that's known. There's also one point where if you uthrow, you land on one of the platforms above you, which is just too epic.

And yea, I think the Kirby v Lucario matchup just became 100-0:laugh:.

Edit: Hey, you never mentioned 3 stages in your vid...

Also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8OlNlcZOII&feature=related

Omni agrees that YI is a good stage. :p

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
That video is over a year old? >_>

It was Kirby..

..with the upthrow stagespike...

...in the Jungle Japes!!

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
I found more evidence to support the thin stage edge theory. I created a stage that used those weird cave-like structures, and you can spike both ZSS and Lucario on top of them. I tried to stage-spike Sheik on slow brawl like A1lion suggested, but to no avail. I don't doubt it's possible, though (its kinda hard to test out opponent DI when there is only one of you...).

@ A1lion: Were there any other circumstances surrounding the Sheik stage spike? Also, I saw that you updated the OP, but you left Lylat off the list for Lucario and ZSS. The circumstances are the same for Lylat as they are for Skyworld.

@ Asdioh: Jungle Japes Spike video? Did I miss something?

Nothing else to report for the moment. I'll try to keep at it though. It feels good to finally be contributing something to the community.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
Clue? Awesome. I've got to work on catching references...

On a side note, I finished Mario. The only spike I could get was off the right side of the Falcon Flyer on Big Blue.

@ Straked: Happy to help!

A1lion835

Smash Champion
The Jungle Japes Spike is when you're on the very giant rock! edge of the main condom! platform and the knockback of the falcon punch! uthrow causes them to spam stone! 2 week brawl break is over! Falcon breakfast

Sorry...I'm a little condomy! right now.

Edit: I'm adding vids to all the characters/stages, and I need you guys to make/post them. Ideally, I'd like to have, say, a vid with one stage and all the characters it works on, i.e. a vid on Lylat with Lucario and ZSS shown, as apposed to a vid of all the stages you can do this to lucario on).

Edit 2: Actually, just one character, one stage would be ideal, but that'll be a pain in the *** to do...

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
I don't have the ability to make videos... :(

I may be able to coax a friend of mine to let me use his equipment, but I don't know if the format he uses is compatible with... well, anything (his words). The soonest I could get his help wouldn't be 'till next Friday 'cause I'm going out of town next week. If someone else can make them it would be great, but if not I can try and get to work on the vids by the end of next week. Sorry!

A1lion835

Smash Champion
I don't have the ability to make videos... :(

I may be able to coax a friend of mine to let me use his equipment, but I don't know if the format he uses is compatible with... well, anything (his words). The soonest I could get his help wouldn't be 'till next Friday 'cause I'm going out of town next week. If someone else can make them it would be great, but if not I can try and get to work on the vids by the end of next week. Sorry!
Whatever. You can just save replays and then send them to KataKiri to upload (pressure!).

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
Ok, no problem. I made the replays and if I can't send them out before I leave, I'll have my brother do it. They are as follows...

1. :mario2: on Big Blue
2. :lucario: on Lylat
3. :zerosuitsamus:on Lylat

I've confirmed two different spots on Lylat already, the one featured in the replay and another on the right side of the ship in the asteroid belt. Seeing how many different places the stage tilts, there should be a lot of places to do this. :)

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Mario...? :(

:mario2:

I'll test this myself soon, at the tip, right?
If it would help, let's work on all counterpick stages first, not any that are banned.

Top Bottom