• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official P:M Edmonton Thread!

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
ron is always a champ with his recording set up

we have some from a tournament 2 weekends ago

i want to play p:m pretty bad

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
if it is such a free game, then learn to play ice climbers, or pick an ice climber counter for the first game just in case. Or don't strike to FD.

no johns

people are so stuck on the idea they should be able to play their "main" for every match
See the thing is, the most important thing about Smash is the character you control. Stages come second in my mind. It was especially a problem in Brawl when you had dominate characters like Falco and Ice Climbers on large, flat stages like Final Destination. But rulesets such as the Japanese one quelled that problem where the three legal stages were Smashville, FD and Battlefield. If FD isn't a big deal for you, you leave it open and strike the others, and vice versa.

You lose a stage you're more favorable on and if that's struck first? You realize "Aw crap. Now I gotta use another character."

There's an art to determining the stage when your characters are confirmed, and usually it leads to a fair and even playing field. What happens if you do stages first and you decide on WarioWare or Yoshi's Story? You've seen the kind of damage that Bowser and Charizard can do on stages like that, and because the stage is already decided it's determined which character you use to better win.

Selecting your characters first and then competing over the final stage though, usually helps compliment the concept of "neutrals" where favorable stages are fleshed out and usually a stage is decided upon that can favor both competitors.

You should be allowed to play whoever you want, and if you want to play your "main" for the first match? That's great. And then if the situation calls for it on a counterpick? Go for the character that'll give you an edge. This is the complex of Smash Bros. Unlike other fighters, stages can make or break some matches.

Due to the influence stages have on characters as a whole, I personally believe it's more fair to select your character and strike after. And THEN counter with a stage/character after the initial neutral battle is settled, setting the ball in motion, the struggle to secure the set.

[EDIT]

wtf is this
This is an opportunity for you to become the best Project: M Random main.

[EDIT #2]

So I posted this in the RPS thread, but I might as well as here too. I know we've got Connor's place for Project: M stuff, but I've been thinking of hosting another Spruce Grove Zone Smashfest.

Anyone interested in that? I'd likely run it this weekend.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I'd have a hard to time making it out of the city for that :<

:phone:

Hard to believe those dunks were 5 years ago, and yet still so vivid.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
I have never seen stevo's sheik before. I've only ever seen his falco, marth, dk, and luigi.

Dem d-smash tech chases with luigi .-.

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
oh hey edmonton PM

hope to meet you guys soon

2.5 hype!!

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
maybe like December

work plans keep getting pushed back and stuff

Luigi is a cool guy

:luigi2: :luigi2: :luigi2:

Frio

Smash Champion
I'm kinda wanting to play PM but i have a Chinese oral to prepare for on friday :(

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
Seems like you guys have a pretty adventurous stagelist, any reason there's so many starters? I'm curious about YI:B & Skyloft in particular.

I like to take a more conservative approach personally, makes things run smooth and is pretty fair all-around. But then again I live in BC, home of the CBC :reverse:

For reference, Conservative BC Stagelist;
11 Stages

NEUTRALS:

Battlefield
Final Destination
SmashVille
Pokemon Stadium 2
Yoshi's Story (Melee)

COUNTER-PICKS:

Dracula's Castle
Pokemon Stadium 1
Dream Land 64
Fountain Of Dreams
Rumble Falls
Wario Ware
Green Hill Zone(Singles only)
SSE: Jungle (Doubles only)

~Stage Strike from neutrals 1-2-1 using Rock-Paper-Scissors to determine who strikes first.

~Winner of gets 3 stage bans for the rest of the set.

~Loser picks a stage from the stages remaining.

ps the stagelist description still says BC instead of AB :p
AB Stagelist said:
STAGELIST/RULES
This has been a hot-topic as of late and we need YOUR help to decide on an official BC stage-list that most people can agree on. It's probably not possible to make EVERYONE happy with one stage list, but we will do the best we can!

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
mark i thought you were retiring from pm?

ah sinisterb, that was just a tentative stage list that we hastily put together for a tourney 2 weeks ago. right now we're in the midst of coming up with a solid list

Here's my proposal, can everyone check it out and tell me what you think?

Okay so for now how does everyone feel about using this as our stage rule set?

17 Legal Stages for Doubles and Singles
Battlefield
Dracula's Castle
Dream Land 64
Final Destination
Fountain of Dreams
Green Hill Zone (singles only)
Kongo Jungle 64
Lylat Cruise
Metal Cavern (singles only)
Pokemon Stadium 1
Pokemon Stadium 2
Rumble Falls
SSE: Jungle (doubles only)
SkyWorld
Smashville
Temple/SkyLoft (doubles only)
Wario Ware Inc.
Yoshi's Island Brawl
Yoshi's Story Melee

Rules
  • Both players choose characters, double blind
  • 7-8-1 Striking system
  • Winner picks character, Loser picks character
  • Winner gets # bans
  • Loser selects stage
  • Repeat

Or something along those lines? That way the winner has an adequate number of bans to choose from.

And it's simple and quick, and not too different from the the standard rule-set that we are used to.

The legal stages should be obvious especially without the need of any classifications like "cp" or "starter"
yeah neko maybe, but i'd like to avoid classifying and organizing stages like that tbh

Limeee

Smash Champion
i just want a basic stagelist with things were used to

but im not going to make a huge post explaining why

whats wrong with the system we use in brawl and melee? -.-

:009:
EDIT: and yes im down for smash but im busy tomorrow lol

sunday would be cool

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
i figured my proposal stays fairly close to the system we use in brawl/melee

the only difference is its a single list of stages

and we have more strikes/bans

Frio

Smash Champion
I was watching M2K play his sheik and he inspired me to give her a try in PM /

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
so you're going from the most recent gay smash character, to the most vintage of the gays

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
speaking of which

andrew was up last weekend for thanksgiving

and his sonic is so good T_T

that spring

the spins

X_X

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
i figured my proposal stays fairly close to the system we use in brawl/melee

the only difference is its a single list of stages

and we have more strikes/bans
The biggest problem I have with these rules beyond just being old school and liking the old system.

Is honestly, it's harsh on casuals, and time constraints, you're adding so much to the pre-match cycle, I will NEVER remember the stagelist, I really don't even in Melee or Brawl, it's just like, I know what stages matter to me. I feel like trying to memorize all this just gets silly. Also counterpick stages will seriously never come up unless someone specifically makes it that way, you strike the majority of neutrals that hurt you, and then the opponent is forced to either pick a set of neutrals that benefit you and some wacky CP's that who knows.

I know the stages are way better, and it's too early to say, and I WANT to try this, I'm just proposing that it would just be really too much time wise and thought wise, it really could be made simple, because really, some stages, as much as I love skyloft, arn't balanced.

Stevo

Smash Champion
yeah, I have to agree with you there.

is it worth going through all this trouble for like 1% of matches to end up on a stage like halberd?

and in those cases, couldn't each player just agree to play there?

Edit: and for the record, I just said Halberd because I don't know the stages, it is very possible that Halberd isn't even a legal stage lol

1% might even be too generous

Top Bottom