• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The *Official* Pittsburgh Melee Weeklies Thread of the LoL WoW Love

Renth

Smash Hero
I'm very interested in playing smash in the near future and attending tournaments again.

I want to meet and play all of you whom I have not met / played.

It's no mystery I'm not in Pennsylvania very often and its no secret I don't like it here very much. I do however enjoy smash brothers and I miss a lot of you.

Ambix

Smash Ace
which crawl? the regular deck/rule sheet, or one of the deluxe ones?
only have the first 3 expansions and the original game right now. gonna swing by the comic shop tomorrow and snag 4-8 and maybe munchkin blender or munchkin fu.

Vudujin

Smash Lord
Renth, How would you like to get picked up Thursday night and smash with the crew in Pittsburgh all day Friday?

gouda

Smash Journeyman
Thomas, what is Cobra-five into garbage can?
If you're asking what the terms correspond to with smash moves,

you'll be sad to know that they don't

CHALLENG ACCEPTED

before the start of duq i will add to the list of smash terminology!

but it actually came from an incident

when i was teaching aaron a new hand shake/high five-esque thing.

we were walkin back to Liz's house from a pizza shop, and i was

demonstrating while walking backwards facing aaron

and i fell into a garbage can.

AprilShaw

aka Logan
If you're asking what the terms correspond to with smash moves,

you'll be sad to know that they don't

CHALLENG ACCEPTED

before the start of duq i will add to the list of smash terminology!

but it actually came from an incident

when i was teaching aaron a new hand shake/high five-esque thing.

we were walkin back to Liz's house from a pizza shop, and i was

demonstrating while walking backwards facing aaron

and i fell into a garbage can.
It was pretty intense

Also... cobra five into garbage can = Sheik jab into fair at super high percent. Equally ridiculous and embarrassing.

takieddine

Smash Master
that isnt ridiculous just maybe slightly embarrassing... its one of her primary killing combos at high percents LOLLLLL shiek's ********...

But whats a Dark PUFF?????

jbro

Smash Ace
jbro things worked out between me and green ranger.

If you want we can team at hope 5 if I go.
aight, it's cool.
hope 5 is a possibility.

YO THOMAS IS IT TIME FOR THE RETURN OF THE RICK SANTORUM ALL STARS

but now named the dark puffs

TheLake

Smash Master
THOMAS COME BACK TO ME BOSSOM!

How late you boys smashin till i got a show till *insert a time thats incovinent and late*

Taki just imagine instead of jigglypuffs face, its darkrains

DARK PUFF!!!

Nakamaru

Smash Master
Vudujin for best luigi. I saw that combo on VaNz's fox. Made me gag a little from all the ****.

I'm gonna try to come down. I have to go to my GF's roller derby game today, but if you're smashing late into the night i'll be there.

Vyke

Smash Champion

gouda

Smash Journeyman
You know what I'm just realizing? As to why there is a lot of hate in competitive smash (for which there are many reasons) is the whole "play gay" thing. I have made a comparison that I think describes it best. Look at the video of m2k playing shiek against some scrub called "you came all this way to get jabbed" and you'll see that playing like that in smash is like a hockey team playing a game with a sumo wrestler for a goalie. Now I realize there are many flaws with this comparison/analogy, like the "there are ways around it" and the "you can still win" bit, but that doesn't take away from the fact that you don't see hockey teams do it, because it's an unspoken rule not to do something that IS within the rules technically (no rule on height/size of players) that gives yourself an unfair advantage.

Thoughts?? I wanna dissect this more with you guys.

Nakamaru

Smash Master
Looking at the game that way will only hinder you if you want to get better. From a competitive standpoint if the game allows you to do it then it is legal. This is changed slightly by the community deeming certain aspects of the game as game breaking. This isn't so much about how gay something is but if it takes away from competitive play.

The sumo wrestler as a goalie analogy is more like if I took ryu from SF instead of falcon. It doesn't really work.

Yes there are thing that are frustrating in this game, but if it is pissing you off it probably means it is a good strategy. Dumb things happen to everyone that plays a game competitively, and what is considered dumb or gay usually depends on the group of players.

At the end of the day smash brothers is a zero sum game. You can't really fault someone for going for the safe, guaranteed, or "gay" option if they are playing to win. Which all of us who take this game even remotely seriously are trying to do. Yes they could go for some crazy edgeguard with a bunch of technical flash, but if they miss the other person is just going to kill them for it. Because you're not just going to let them combo you. They've got to work for it which in my opinion makes combos that much more satisfying when they happen. So when you finally do get that crazy combo it feels good rather than handed to you.

If you can get past things being gay, or feeling like you're getting jipped by the game you'll start to figure out how to beat it. When i'm not tired or hungry i've become pretty good at letting the gay things that happen to me go and accept that it was my fault for falling into the situation in the first place.

In the M2K video he does what all falcons dread, jab reset and tech chase. If we just said, "don't do this because it is dumb and unfun for falcon players" we would've never figured out that you can SDI the jab to get out of it. Because we allowed it it evolved the matchup.

I can talk for hours on the subject because this is something i've thought a lot about. Especially as a falcon main. But players like mango and s2j can get around the things i think are gay or unfun so that just means i need to step it up rather than complain. (which i do, and i'm really trying to stop.)

Hope this helps, and i hope the tone isn't too aggressive. ; )

Top Bottom