• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Random Topic Discussion: Buffered Monkey Kick

Player-1

Smash Legend
Well, since there are so many things that have been discovered or are recently being discovered that haven't came to it's full potential about it, I decided to make this thread. This will mainly be for random things that involve Diddy's metagame this can be for any topic, but there will only be one at a time. Topics can include things like tier discussion, frame data, tactics, ATs, playstyles, matchups, certain moves, stages, etc. (although matchups and stages will usually be left to the proper thread, it just depends if the time calls for it)

Jump Canceled Tossing and Pivot glide tossing (Page 1)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

So the first topic will be Jump canceled tossing.

So from what I hear, JCT is longer than normal glidetossing for Diddy. For those of you who don't know what Jump Canceled tossing is, it's essentially canceling your grouded jump with an item throw and you will slide while tossing it. The input is: Direction on control stick + jump > toss item. It's easiest to hit 'A' for the throw instead of the c stick like glidetossing (which, btw, comes out slower than a normal toss). ToKnee also found a pretty interesting combo, I find that if you JCT a banana at your opponent to trip them off stage then you can barrel spike them, this only works against some of the cast and you have to be close enough as well at your initial position (before the toss). So why don't more people JCT as opposed to GT?

Pivot Glidetossing is done by starting your running animation and then sliding by stopping the dash then cancel the stopping animation with a throw, you can do this in any direction except forward. It can essentially be used in a way like pivot grabbing

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Currently Discussing:

Buffering The Monkey Kick:
Some of you may or may not know this, but you buffer the monkey kick so it comes out ASAP. I don't really know how to describe the timing, but go into training and try to find it and just practice.

One of the biggest weaknesses of the monkey kick is the ability of it to be shield grabbed easily, but when you buffer it [and space it right] it's not even possible because, like the monkey flip, you can use your midair jump before landing (You can also air dodge to get minimal lag) IMO, this will be one of the key things to Diddy's metagame so better start practicing.

Lazee

Smash Apprentice
Lol I love pivot tossing,I'm also gonna be creating a thread for the new at I discovered.just don't have the time,anyways good stuff in here guys we're evolving ;)

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
jump cancelled throw is quicker than glidetossing. You don't have to shield, so yeah. not by very much, but still useful.

Player-1

Smash Legend
*an attempt to get this maybe just past the first page so I can move on*

I've been practicing JCT on wifi, and it helps a lot against MKs nado which diddy already destroys =D

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
A regular throw will hit him and you can punish with anything considering metaknight isn't that fast during his tornado or go that far after.

Player-1

Smash Legend
A regular throw will hit him and you can punish with anything considering metaknight isn't that fast during his tornado or go that far after.
but JCT would be just as fast and you get slide so you can smash him if he gets too for a regular throw.

napZzz

Smash Hero
but what lkind of (smart) meta knight would tornado you while you're holding a banana to even allow this :|

DUB

Smash Lord
but what lkind of (smart) meta knight would tornado you while you're holding a banana to even allow this :|
Realistically none. Although it will happen occasionally.

@P1: As far as using it over GT to break oncoming naders, I think this could be a little useful, but nothing major. I don't know the frame data for the JCT but if it is faster and longer then a GT, then it can put you closer to MK with more time to spare so you have less of a chance of getting hit by a speedy move before you can punish.

Dekar173

Justice Man
JCT- Very useful, and worth learning. Its faster than glidetossing if you're retreating, so why not learn it? There's no reason NOT to.

pivot tossing- I may or may not do this. Honestly, I usually just dash dance when I'm at the end of my pivot, because we have anti-trip here in NM XD

DFEAR

Smash Hero
JCT- Very useful, and worth learning. Its faster than glidetossing if you're retreating, so why not learn it? There's no reason NOT to.

pivot tossing- I may or may not do this. Honestly, I usually just dash dance when I'm at the end of my pivot, because we have anti-trip here in NM XD
dash dance might make u trip T,T hence pivot tossing can be a high risk low reward situation.

jct is lol to me it feels funny doing it on a controller but yes its useful :3

Player-1

Smash Legend
New topic:
Buffering The Monkey Kick:
Some of you may or may not know this, but you buffer the monkey kick so it comes out ASAP. I don't really know how to describe the timing, but go into training and try to find it and just practice.

One of the biggest weaknesses of the monkey kick is the ability of it to be shield grabbed easily, but when you buffer it [and space it right] it's not even possible because, like the monkey flip, you can use your midair jump before landing (You can also air dodge to get minimal lag) IMO, this will be one of the key things to Diddy's metagame so better start practicing.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
^i agree.

some cool things when u buffer the kick is that u can use ur midair jump then pull off some funny mindgames with reverse peanut gun canceling in the air :3 is very lolzy to look at ur opponent trying to read through all this .

liljp112

Smash Cadet
Is this also useful for getting bananas back out by doing a double jump to confuse them for a second?

Dekar173

Justice Man
dash dance might make u trip T,T
I usually just dash dance when I'm at the end of my pivot, because we have anti-trip here in NM XD
^i agree.

some cool things when u buffer the kick is that u can use ur midair jump then pull off some funny mindgames with reverse peanut gun canceling in the air :3 is very lolzy to look at ur opponent trying to read through all this .
Just an FYI, you CAN'T do B-moves after using the Diddy Kick. Maybe you're ledgecanceling into it? I'll give you the benefit of a doubt, I guess, but for future reference what you just said isn't possible as of yet. :)

@Discussion- Buffered Diddy Kick > DJ > uair

is honestly one of my favorite strings. It works up to insane percentaqes, and when you catch a naner out of it, oh lawd do people get raged.

Coyn3Masta

Smash Journeyman
Just an FYI, you CAN'T do B-moves after using the Diddy Kick. Maybe you're ledgecanceling into it? I'll give you the benefit of a doubt, I guess, but for future reference what you just said isn't possible as of yet. :)

@Discussion- Buffered Diddy Kick > DJ > uair

is honestly one of my favorite strings. It works up to insane percentaqes, and when you catch a naner out of it, oh lawd do people get raged.
I thought you could use peanuts after a monkey flip, i guess i was wrong =S

Dekar173

Justice Man
After the flip you can, but NOT after the kick.

That's why sometimes people will say "AH **** I KICKED!!!" and then rage. :D

Dekar173

Justice Man
You never said anything about ledgecanceling, which would probably hint at "pulling things out of one's ***" but I don't want to assume do I?

DFEAR

Smash Hero
instead of buffered kicks why not side b attach/Jump attack then side b attach/jump again as a tech chase then perhaps side b attach attack/ kick one more time as a final tech chase...useful :p?

DFEAR

Smash Hero
you fly too high after the jump attack so you cant tech chase
oh but uuuuu caaaannn its major lolz man try it...it all depends whether or not ur opponent forsees it again but if he does ur sooo ****kkkd, its high risk low reward high lolz

Top Bottom