• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The official "RATE MY KIRBY" and "HELP WITH A MATCHUP" thread!

Is this thread useful?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Thnx! I hadn't played a brawl for a couple months before this video either so I kinda got owned the 1st game if you want an example of how not to beat diddy lol.

Diddy always seemed like one of the easier top tier matchups to me. I'd much rather play a diddy than a metaknight, snake, or d3.

Bees!

Smash Ace
Kirby boards seem kinda dead...

Anyway this was the last time I played brawl:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gox777#p/u/233/sk3gHtxGMYk

Rate my Kirby from 7 months ago! Kinda feel like playing some brawl again lately.
Ya I never got replies from mine but thats okay. Once I get a capture card I will upload more. Hopefully they get rated and advice.

I noticed it when you were back-airing is why i asked. The motion was different. The bairs werent spaced as well. It explained why you were getting grabbed against the IC's after b-airing. Also, I wouldn't really use stone at all competitively, but thats my own personal preference. Too many consequences and WAY to little rewards. But once again, personal preference. You play well.
I guess it is personal preference. I don't use it much either however its good to spot the ledge with it, if you can time it correctly. Its also good to punish predictable recovery moves. Marth, Snake, ROB, Tink, Fox and Falco upB, pretty much any character that might have a linear, gimpable, and or punishable recovery move. Thats just me though. It really doesn't matter too much though, as WOP is just as good at gimping if not better.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I haz some vids. Generally in a tourney I will use R.O.B. against Snake. But friendlies are different well let me know what you think. I am still fairly new to competitive smash. Also lack some exp on MUs(MK in particular) So at least take that into consideration. Well enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZBUEpL508E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXq-NV4oR8A
Looks good man. Seems like your go to move when snake is close to you is a spot dodge then uptilt. I'd suggest spot dodge then vulcan jabs instead. Way less easily punished.

Thats the only thing I noticed that I would switch up. Also maybe try sucking snake up when hes near the edge and walking off. I get countless gimps on snake using that.

Dru2

Hail to the King
NNID
DruetheDruid
3DS FC
0189-9845-3398
I need help with Olimar's grab of death. every time he grabs me with his insane range he'll throw me and do a litlle hop, start using the Uair and just juggle me up with it above the scrren until i'm KO'd. I've tried dodging it, Dair, and trying just to evade it, but nothing's working! how do i avoid that Uair?

Also, YAY! my 50th post! ^(^_^)^

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Well Cadet, I can suggest something... I'd like a video though. Since you're asking about help on something specific and not a vague thing like "critique my kirby and tell me what to improve on", I can help. Before you read on, I'll just tell you that I'll try my best to explain as simple as possible, and I don't know how big or small the post will be. Bring me a video or two whenever possible, please.

What you should do against Olimar is stay in the air angled at about 30 degrees [30*] (recommended height), and bair while waiting for him to whiff an attack/grab. Once he runs out of space or whiffs an attack to close to you, land immediately and grab him, then throw him offstage. Keep forcing him to stay offstage or with little to no space near the ledge, DON'T let him regain distance! If you stay in the air and avoid landing as long as possible, he won't be able to pivot grab you as easily. If you keep bairing while waiting for a chance, he won't be able to jump and attack you. If you stay below 45* and 90* while avoiding both of these, then he won't be able to retaliate as reliably as he does against grounded approaches. If you've got him near the ledges and he's shielding on the floor, land with an aerial hammer so you push him to the ledges, where he will now struggle to get back offstage... And if you're trying to touch the floor to regain your jumps, use downB to touch the floor and get past Olimar's uair. I'd suggest some downB mindgames by playing around with his maximum uair range, but I can't really explain that... Just downB and then aim for the ledges before you take too much damage. Once you know you're gonna get juggled, downB to the ground, get thrown back up again, then aim for the ledges where he CAN'T hit you... Then it's all a matter of thinking what to do next. Hell, you could even inhale him and spit him out under the stage, then bair/uair him and stagespike him. Easy KO for you, since you have 4 more jumps and your upB while his upB sucks and his jump will be used before you hit him.

Sadly, messing around with opponents needs some great reactions, and this MU, since it's a disadvantage, requires exactly what I just siad: great reactions. You need to keep an eye on what Olimar does, and IMMEDIATELY have the answer and capitalize on whatever you can do. You can't 'predict' as much as other MUs because Olimar punishes you if you fail, and punishes you pretty hard. Whenever you play your olimar friend, don't try to win, instead look at how he plays, see what he does when you get too close... They're friendlies, so there's nothing on the line, so play to learn and not to win.

Dru2

Hail to the King
NNID
DruetheDruid
3DS FC
0189-9845-3398
Well Cadet, I can suggest something... I'd like a video though. Since you're asking about help on something specific and not a vague thing like "critique my kirby and tell me what to improve on", I can help. Before you read on, I'll just tell you that I'll try my best to explain as simple as possible, and I don't know how big or small the post will be. Bring me a video or two whenever possible, please.

What you should do against Olimar is stay in the air angled at about 30 degrees [30*] (recommended height), and bair while waiting for him to whiff an attack/grab. Once he runs out of space or whiffs an attack to close to you, land immediately and grab him, then throw him offstage. Keep forcing him to stay offstage or with little to no space near the ledge, DON'T let him regain distance! If you stay in the air and avoid landing as long as possible, he won't be able to pivot grab you as easily. If you keep bairing while waiting for a chance, he won't be able to jump and attack you. If you stay below 45* and 90* while avoiding both of these, then he won't be able to retaliate as reliably as he does against grounded approaches. If you've got him near the ledges and he's shielding on the floor, land with an aerial hammer so you push him to the ledges, where he will now struggle to get back offstage... And if you're trying to touch the floor to regain your jumps, use downB to touch the floor and get past Olimar's uair. I'd suggest some downB mindgames by playing around with his maximum uair range, but I can't really explain that... Just downB and then aim for the ledges before you take too much damage. Once you know you're gonna get juggled, downB to the ground, get thrown back up again, then aim for the ledges where he CAN'T hit you... Then it's all a matter of thinking what to do next. Hell, you could even inhale him and spit him out under the stage, then bair/uair him and stagespike him. Easy KO for you, since you have 4 more jumps and your upB while his upB sucks and his jump will be used before you hit him.

Sadly, messing around with opponents needs some great reactions, and this MU, since it's a disadvantage, requires exactly what I just siad: great reactions. You need to keep an eye on what Olimar does, and IMMEDIATELY have the answer and capitalize on whatever you can do. You can't 'predict' as much as other MUs because Olimar punishes you if you fail, and punishes you pretty hard. Whenever you play your olimar friend, don't try to win, instead look at how he plays, see what he does when you get too close... They're friendlies, so there's nothing on the line, so play to learn and not to win.
Thanks for all the help dude! I don't have any recording equipment for a video though :(. Sorry
also, i kinda had to win instead of learn on the match this occured on cuz it was a tournament. Oh well. Thanks again!

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
most recent kirby match(offline)

now in **** quality!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2eZUsrfjKg
Nice game SNO. Things I noticed.

-Your background has long strings of binary. FREAKING BINARY. <3

-You roll a little to much through your opponent (it only happened once or twice, but still).

-You don't set up your fsmashes very well (I've noticed this in some of your other vids, too). Bair->fsmash, dtilit->fsmash, dthrow->walk out from under->reverse fsmash, grab release->fsmash (last two as mixups) are all good ways of setting it up.

-Around 1:44 (where he sits there charging his fsmash) final cutter is a great way to punish. Depending on the range of the opponent's attack, you can go for the whole thing or just the projectile.

-You recover too high. Against a lucas, recover low/around edge level and try to auto-sweetspot from a reasonable distance away (or land onstage to mix it up). If he comes offstage when you do this, he's probably going for a bair or dair, neither of which are very difficult to see coming. **** him for trying to edguard you >:D .

-When you momentum cancel, bair is slightly better than uair and may have saved you on your first stock.

-When you have a PK thunder coming at you, a cool way to punish is to shield it and punish with a grounded hammer. You probably shouldn't try it if you haven't learned the timing though.

-Nice ending.

Awesome Kirby! :D

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
Nice game SNO. Things I noticed.

-Your background has long strings of binary. FREAKING BINARY. <3

-You roll a little to much through your opponent (it only happened once or twice, but still).

-You don't set up your fsmashes very well (I've noticed this in some of your other vids, too). Bair->fsmash, dtilit->fsmash, dthrow->walk out from under->reverse fsmash, grab release->fsmash (last two as mixups) are all good ways of setting it up.

-Around 1:44 (where he sits there charging his fsmash) final cutter is a great way to punish. Depending on the range of the opponent's attack, you can go for the whole thing or just the projectile.

-You recover too high. Against a lucas, recover low/around edge level and try to auto-sweetspot from a reasonable distance away (or land onstage to mix it up). If he comes offstage when you do this, he's probably going for a bair or dair, neither of which are very difficult to see coming. **** him for trying to edguard you >:D .

-When you momentum cancel, bair is slightly better than uair and may have saved you on your first stock.

-When you have a PK thunder coming at you, a cool way to punish is to shield it and punish with a grounded hammer. You probably shouldn't try it if you haven't learned the timing though.

-Nice ending.

Awesome Kirby! :D
thanks this helped a lot.

TaterSalad0811

Smash Lord
Doing flying chaingrabs across southeast PA
Well, while I'm no doubles expert (ask anyone who's played doubles with me >.>), I'd have to say that you really shouldn't be trying to do F-throw combos even at low percents, because their partner will always take advantage of your vulnerability and punish you.

Also, don't just stand around waiting for your opponent to recover, either gimp them quickly or help out your partner, I saw a clip where you literally just stood still while the MK and R.O.B. were fighting right in front of you.

Also, in a situation like that, always take a good power. Either Laser or Tornado (irony FTW) would have helped out a lot.

And one last note, in doubles, if you're at a high %, use that stock to try Kirbiciding an opponent with low %. Basically a free kill when you're about to die anyways.

Lol, MK self-destructed trying to glide under the stage.

Jon?

Smash Champion
I usually do the F-throw combos when I see that his teammate was pretty fair away.

Is there a reliable way to edgeguard a MK while offstage? I told my partner I would help fight against MK since I know the more indepth matchup than he did.

I always forget about taking people's powers when I play Kirby in teams. I used to playing with him against people who have pretty bad B-moves.

I usually do go for Kirby-sides, but they were people who knew I would do that given the opportunity. They played it safe when they freshly spawned.

Thanks for the response.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Soooo... Why isn't this stickied anymore?

Also, I'll try to start giving feedback again, but I've been ridiculously busy lately, so I can't promise anything.

BOLT08

Smash Lord
Okay all, here we go. Little background on my kirby.
I mostly use him for teams (I am a falco main) I only want to use kirby in singles against Pika(maybe)

I have a TON of videos if you want to watch them all. Just go to kaitenuser's channel and look for any with the name Debo or BOLT in the title and that's me. But for now I am only going to post a few, I would appreciate any advice. Keep in mind, I'm trying to play a unique kirby. I'm aware that rock isn't always a good decision, but it's very unpredictable because no one ever uses it. Also, I have only been playing kirby for about a month, and this is like the 2nd time I've even been to the kirby boards.

Once again, I would greatly appreciate any criticism/compliments.
Good ones of me (I think)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCOQ1-5Saik
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLrO1cXuoi8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnsMR7MNadY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEt-DzeDyas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiKHz435RwU

Bad Ones(I think)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p8sd_chIBo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3E2erfsVNk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ipmdgzdVx0

Once again I'm DeBo. If you watched all the other vids of me I'd appreciate it too. My teammate is pretty effing legit, so it's entertaining to see him to do some crazy stuff. Thanks!

Triple R

Smash Lord
you obviously aren't a kirby main.... you don't know the timing for the klaptrap on japes and you ran into it twice....

lol jk decent vids

I'll leave the real critique for the more helpful kirby people. :D

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Way too much DA. It's a move that requires more commitment than it's worth, especially since they can SDI it and avoid the last hit to punish.

Too much stone. It can work in doubles, but honestly, your opponents could have punished a lot of those, and in singles you will get punished.

Need to use tilts more. Ftilt and Dtilt are good pokes, and more useful on shield than Fsmash, which you use way too much, and as a result is rarely fresh.

FASTFALL YOUR AERIALS! This is a big one. You will seem a lot faster, and be a lot less punishable, if you space correctly and fastfall your aerials, especially Bair.

Momentum cancel more often. You only do it every once in a while.

Try to face away from people when you Utilt: it has more range that way. Also use it when people are behind you.

Grab more, but when you decide to grab, don't just grab till you miss.

BOLT08

Smash Lord
I didn't know he had a momentum cancel? What can I do to do so?

I'm surprised no one said anything about my rolling. It's pretty terible. Thanks for the advice though.

I'm assuming DA = Down air?

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
No, DA is Dash Attack.

Also, check the boards a bit; there's a lot of stage specific stuff you don't seem to know (Like the stone glitches on Pictochat).

Also, I forgot to say before, but when they're at like 160% or over and you grab, do a Uthrow for the kill. Otherwise, I suppose you know the general Fthrow combos, and from 0%, Dthrow>Utilt>shieldgrab>Dthrow>Utilt>whatever (read them and punish!) tends to work a lot too.
When you Bthrow, if and when you do, you can buffer a jump to not have to waste time with that weird landing he does and instead go stright into a second jump out of your throw. This can be good for pressuring their landings or following it up at low %s.

Crap... what else did I forget? Bah, I'll just add more if/when I think of it.

As for rolling, yeah, you probably want to limit that too, but it wasn't *too* bad.

BOLT08

Smash Lord
Oh yeah duh dash attack. Yeah I need to read up more on a lot of stuff, I'm currently very busy with school so it limits a lot of my free time. Hopefully, I'll have more to post here in a bit and will be able to show some of the advice that you have given me.

Edit: I think you missed the momentum cancel

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Oh, my bad!

Yeah, you want to momentum cancel with Uair, though Dair seems somewhat effective too.
Good DI and momentum canceling will help you out a lot considering how light Kirby is.

Also, I know how you feel. Work's what kicks my *** :laugh:

TaterSalad0811

Smash Lord
Well, since you're new, I figure I'll lay down a few things that I saw right away.

1: At low %s, you usually want to start with a simple Fthrow>Uair combo, and improvise from there.
2: Don't use Fsmash until your opponent is at 70% or higher, it's more effective when not stale.
3: Try more Ftilt (when in front) and Utilt (when they're behind) to punish your opponent's mistakes.
4: Practice your timing, everything you did seemed to take place at an incredibly slow place (Falconv, don't even...)
5: Play better opponents, it was hard to tell what you were doing right and wrong mostly because it seems like they didn't know what they were doing either (no offense).

Oh, and no items. But that should have been obvious

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgsbi4Le6fE

Here is some more replays rate my kirby!
this is wifi so it's hard to say. Kirby is very different offline, actually much better. But it's okay, we have to start somewhere. Luigi is buffed like hell on wifi, as some of his "wifi" combos are hard to di out of. Keep that in mind.

You need to work on your u-tilt follow ups, but then again this is wifi, and the connection looked poor from what I could tell. Normally you can follow up a b-air after an u-tilt.

You didn't go for grabs on Luigi, and this isn't entirely bad because he can n-air you out of your grab or gonzo combo.

You seem shy with using u-tilt, dont be afraid to use it more than once esp at low %, it has great juggling ability because it has low knockback. It's also a quick and fairly safe move, altho it can be shield grabbed at times.

You don't seem to know many fundamental Kirby combos, so I would suggest reading Timmy's guide or watching videos.

You got a great read with the hammer, good job. :)

Nice stage spike on the last match, it's good that you know how that works because it's very useful.

Keep training your Kirby, but try to get offline.

yoichX

Smash Apprentice
this is wifi so it's hard to say. Kirby is very different offline, actually much better. But it's okay, we have to start somewhere. Luigi is buffed like hell on wifi, as some of his "wifi" combos are hard to di out of. Keep that in mind.

You need to work on your u-tilt follow ups, but then again this is wifi, and the connection looked poor from what I could tell. Normally you can follow up a b-air after an u-tilt.

You didn't go for grabs on Luigi, and this isn't entirely bad because he can n-air you out of your grab or gonzo combo.

You seem shy with using u-tilt, dont be afraid to use it more than once esp at low %, it has great juggling ability because it has low knockback. It's also a quick and fairly safe move, altho it can be shield grabbed at times.

You don't seem to know many fundamental Kirby combos, so I would suggest reading Timmy's guide or watching videos.

You got a great read with the hammer, good job. :)

Nice stage spike on the last match, it's good that you know how that works because it's very useful.

Keep training your Kirby, but try to get offline.
Ty sniper :p i'll take this advice and apply it to my gaming. Only problem is that i can't play offline with many people so.... that stinks. Thanks for the advice :p

TaterSalad0811

Smash Lord
Yeah, I have the same problem with wifi luigis, I get *****. Still, I'm ha;f-decent online, so I should be quasi-good offline, though my friend is still a scrubby john who no contests when he gets gimped at the start of a match.

I'll be uploading some stuff once I get a Pinnacle. Anyone who has one, can you direct me to a video recorded with it? I wan to see the quality.

And like he she it said, be more open with the up tilt, and you don't have to mash, give your opponent time to run out their hitstun (fun fact: Look closely, Brawl has hitstun, I know, right?), so that during that split second they fall a bit, that way you can squeeze in a few more. And ALWAYS follow up your Uair juggling with a Bair. Can't stress this enough, it has to be the most consistent non-legit combo in the game.

yoichX

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I have the same problem with wifi luigis, I get *****. Still, I'm ha;f-decent online, so I should be quasi-good offline, though my friend is still a scrubby john who no contests when he gets gimped at the start of a match.

I'll be uploading some stuff once I get a Pinnacle. Anyone who has one, can you direct me to a video recorded with it? I wan to see the quality.

And like he she it said, be more open with the up tilt, and you don't have to mash, give your opponent time to run out their hitstun (fun fact: Look closely, Brawl has hitstun, I know, right?), so that during that split second they fall a bit, that way you can squeeze in a few more. And ALWAYS follow up your Uair juggling with a Bair. Can't stress this enough, it has to be the most consistent non-legit combo in the game.
Thanks tater oh and those wifi matchs were with pinncle just to tell yah :p

Afropony

Smash Lord
Wow I played terrbly at the start of that second match lol.
I think the only reason I was able to bring it back was because you were getting desperate for the Fsmash kill which allowed me to shield everything and then punish.

I'll probably be banning PS1 against you next time I play you :).

Tiersie

Smash Ace
You seem to have some good ideas, you just need to execute them faster. I saw some openings that I know you also did and you tried to get in the sometimes but the MK had already covered up. It's something that I myself have to work on aswell, be quicker and more thorough in the punishing. (A good example of this is the missed punish on the MK drill)

This is all on Game1 vs Afropony btw. I think I'll let Kewkky say the rest :p He's without a doubt the best critic in this dump.

Edit: Something you did great versus splice was letting him approach and you really punished everything he did, which was impressive. But for some reason you just stopped doing it all of a sudden to get the kill. And that cost you 2 stocks in the end. You should get too greedy, f-smash becomes really obvious when you're greedy. Just stick to what you're doing and let him come to you and punish accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom