• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The official "RATE MY KIRBY" and "HELP WITH A MATCHUP" thread!

Is this thread useful?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
What is with these...ridiculously long movie reviews for these videos? XD

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
I was wondering about my kirby even thought i only have one match with kirby online. Idk i was told the wario looks as though he knew what he was doing, just that i made him look like crap but, idk. Thoughts anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz02b4BEzKE
You're good. Just a few things you should work on.

1. THIS IS IMPORTANT.USE.BAIR.MORE. I'll take something from fromundaman and say this: imagine your pwning someone with a wall of pain. Now stop imagining and go do it.

2. Your rock usage was half bad. Literally. You had 2 good stones (the one after the footstool and the one that stopped you from being star ko'd). You also had those 2 bad stone usages. Only use stone in the good ways you used it or to edguard.

3. You didn't use throws or tilts, especially tilts, nearly enough.

4. I think I saw a few misplaced dairs on the first stock that could've been punished.

Edit: There are others, like your fair and uair usage/not usage, but fromundaman will get those.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I was wondering about my kirby even thought i only have one match with kirby online. Idk i was told the wario looks as though he knew what he was doing, just that i made him look like crap but, idk. Thoughts anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz02b4BEzKE
That Wario pretty much sucked :p

July 31st...I don't really like reviewing anything older than like 2 months at most, do you have anything more recent, or can you make something?

Nice Kirby though, I don't really have anything important to say that wasn't already said.

Except I don't think that Stone "saved" you from being star ko'd, just helped you get down faster. I could be wrong though o_o

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Ack! Silly people with all your videos! I can't keep up!

Of course, in the same breath, I got 18 recorded yesterday against Istascribble, the best ROB I've played so far. So anyway, don't feel like you have to watch them all, but Kirby vs ROB 4 is too epic NOT to watch. Oh, and our Kirby dittos were awesome. The hammer is indeed mightier than the sword/cutter thing.

Yeah, anyway we played for like 7 hours yesterday, so a lot of unrecorded matches, some of which I actually won, some matches where my Ganon didn't blow and anally violated Jigglypuff and messed up Zelda.

I talk too much, don't I? In these videos I do too.

It didn't let me edit the descriptions...:

http://www.youtube.com/user/fromundaman

I won't link them all individually because frankly, I don't have the patience. The ones where I did good:

Kirby vs Game & Watch.
Kirby vs ROB 2 (Wow... we're ********...)
Kirby vs ROB 3-7 (Generally speaking. I still only win one of those.)
Kirby vs ROB 4 is insanity.
Kirby vs ROB 6 (Take a dreidle, make ROB mad.)
Kirby Dittos (Awesome, but I lost. I reversed my cutter AGAIN by accident as the camera died)

Also, they aren't up yet, but my Mario and Yoshi videos weren't half bad either. Especially Mario vs ROB 1 and Mario vs Ness 2.

Wish we'd gotten the Kirby vs ROB on the Pirate Ship recorded... I love that stage...

Anyway, go ahead, rip my Kirby to pieces (But don't say I lack the gonzo combo. Doesn't work on ROB, and he punishes it hard. I found that out the hard way...)

Self critique section: I spot dodge way too much now, don't I? Just a few days ago I didn't do it, now I do it too much...

Too much rock?

WAY too much FC? (Seems to work on him though, so I keep doing it, but some of them made me cringe... what did I say the other day about FC on a shield!?!)

More Dthrow? More inhale? What do you guys think?

Oh, and I DEFINITELY NEED to get over my charged smash disorder...

Equus

Smash Cadet
Fromundaman, I saw the G&W, Rob 4/6, and Kirby Dittos.

You're probably the best hammer user I've seen. (except for that first one against G&W)^_^

You're right in saying that you spot dodge too much, just remember to mix it up with all your other dodges and stay unpredictable.

Actually, I would say LESS inhale. Save it until you KNOW it will work, or else you WILL get punished, like in that Kirby ditto.

Your thows were good too, just remember to pummel before throwing when you have the chance.

Here's something I just realized in my own game as well: take more advantage of your multiple jumps. You can use them to bait attacks and make opeinings.

Your FC usage was actually pretty good; for the most part, you were able to use it in situations where it wasn't very punishable. The G&W match was a good example.

Speaking of G&W, I have some character-specific critiques for you. First (and I can't stress this enough), LEARN TO TECH HIS DTHROW. It will save you from a world of hurt! Second, I noticed how you tried to use bair to punish his dair, and that didn't work out. Try uair insted; it's safer than bair when spaced right because it can actually hit him through his attack.

That's all I can think of. I'm new to critiques, so correct anything I got wrong.

Edit: I forgot to mention: for your smashes, I would get in the habit of using the C Stick. That might help.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
fromundaman, I'll watch some matches.

Matchest 5 and 1 so far...you go offstage and waste all your jumps twice, and then PHAIL to recover with Final Cutter. Be careful.

I have yet to see you pummel when you grab. Try pummeling every time. Also, try pummeling until he gets grab released, and then try a followup. If he's not expecting it, you might get a free fsmash.

Don't even bother trying to pick up a grounded Gyro, that thing is just ********. Airdodging to catch it is your best bet, and then hold it as long as possible so he can't use it. It's best if you have ROB's power so you can just spam him without worrying about Gyro.

match 2: still a little risky offstage. lol at the camping at the end. I think DI upwards would have saved you on that last throw, not sure though.

match 4: good job. The Kirbyciding was kind of pointless, but you did pretty well. I saw some things that looked similar to my playstyle. He probably could have struggled out of one or both of those though >_>

Try to stay in the air instead of on the ground against ROB, you were often right on top of him, and his dsmash comes out ridiculously fast so it hits you every time you are inside/around him. You missed a lot of dash grabs too, and got punished for those. Nice usage of uptilt and stuff though.

His ROB is pretty good, but I have a feeling I could beat him >_>
/cocky

But yeah, good Kirby XD

T-nuts

Smash Ace
our turn to rate fromundaman???????

anyway, heres what I think based off of videos vs rob 2 and 6. keep in mind those are the only 2 i watched.

lol anyway, you really seem pretty good. I like your use of ftilt and dtilt, as borat would say, VERY NICE!

imo with regard to inhale, stone, and final cutter...you used them all well. I wouldnt use inhale more than you do, i wouldnt use cutter less than you do, or stone. you had a few bad cutters, but it looked like you just messed up and meant lo land them on the edge.

My biggest critique, is the way you approached rob. here are 2 ways to approach rob that I think are better than the way you used.

1) run at him and shield, not spot dodge, when you anticipate a projectile. rob's gyro disappears if you shield its initial toss, whereas when you spot dodged it, not only are you open to a follow up tilt, that tilt occasionally pushed you into the gyro. this is one of the areas where you spot dodged too much.

2) just fly towards him, but be high enough so gyro and laser will go under you. then, when you get close, land with an unpunishible back air.what I mean is, be facing away from him as you land, and use bair right before you hit the ground. there are two ways to do this. either a) do it so the tip of your foot hits his shield, and he cant reasonably follow up after his shield, or b) do it so you are too far away to hit with your bair as you land. often people run in to try to hit you as you land, and you can throw out a bair in anticipation of this.

actually heres a third thing you could do, c): get above him, then fast fall dair at a spot one rolldodge length in front of him or behind him. if he rolls, hes screwed. if he doesnt...then the match resets, no harm done to you. Might not wanna try this if he has a fully charged gyro though.

Next area of critique: your in the heat of the battle follow ups. basically what you do after you spot dodge or shield his moves.

There are four moves you should use out of spotdodge.

1) utilt. this is THE best move out of spotdodge. use this if they are going to be behind you after the spotdodge, or if you're not sure if they're going to be infront of you or behind you, like you would use a dsmash, but its super fast and it pops them into the air. The only time I would use dsmash instead of utilt, is if you want to get a kill and want to take a gamble, or they used a reaalllyyy laggy move you can definitely punish.
2) neutral a combo. use if you know they will be in front of you. they cant spot dodge this.
3) grab. use if you know they will be in front of you, and you know you can land it.
4) fsmash. only if they are in front of you and you can punish a really laggy move, or they are in front of you but too far away for neutral a or grab to reach.

Now: punishing out of shield. if he hits your shield from behind, you need to back air him out of your shield. imo, this is like kirby's best move. not only will this happen throughout the course of the fight, but you can bait it by approaching him with your back facing towards him. incorporate this.

also, come on man, give him back his dreidle. lol

use dthrow all the time. When he tries to land, shield him and dthrow again. repeat until opponent wises up. dthrow may not combo as well as fthrow, but dthrow has the most "followups" that you should still be able to land with good mindgames.

When you roll behind him, follow up with a grab. not fsmash ever, though, ftilt is ok, i prefer grab.

Now, for my final point of advice. every time you got close to rob he played keep away with his tilts. there is one good solution for this: fsmash. if you do fsmash and he does a tilt, you are gonna kick the **** out of that robot arm. use fsmash as a long distance priority move sometimes.

Sorry if i seemed harsh, i just thought you could use a critique as good as the ones you give. Overall, I think you have a great kirby.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Thanks for the in-depth critiques guys. Don't worry about being harsh, that's exactly what I'm looking for.

A couple comments:

Edit: I forgot to mention: for your smashes, I would get in the habit of using the C Stick. That might help.
Any smash that's not Csticked was meant to be a tilt and I messed up XD

You're probably the best hammer user I've seen. (except for that first one against G&W)^_^
Thanks!

Speaking of G&W, I have some character-specific critiques for you. First (and I can't stress this enough), LEARN TO TECH HIS DTHROW. It will save you from a world of hurt! Second, I noticed how you tried to use bair to punish his dair, and that didn't work out. Try uair insted; it's safer than bair when spaced right because it can actually hit him through his attack.
I seem to have a lot of trouble teching that throw for some reason... Can't say I have much G&W experience, but everytime I play one this happens.

Also, Uair goes through the key? This was my 1st time playing G&W as Kirby (And he doesn't really play G&W, which is what saved me), so I found out the hard way Bair doesn't go through it...

I have yet to see you pummel when you grab. Try pummeling every time. Also, try pummeling until he gets grab released, and then try a followup. If he's not expecting it, you might get a free fsmash.
*doh* I ALWAYS forget this for some reason, unless I'm playing Yoshi, in which case I forget to throw (Yeah, I know... XD ).
For the Fsmash comment though, last time I did that, I ate an Ftilt before I could move (Not a recorded match.).

Don't even bother trying to pick up a grounded Gyro, that thing is just ********.
I have an easier time picking it up with DA then with AD. Of course, every time he hits me I go to DI and accidentally throw it >.>

match 4: good job. The Kirbyciding was kind of pointless, but you did pretty well.
Kirbyciding? Pointless? HERESY!
No seriously though, they kind of were, and at the third stock I started thinking I'd screwed myself, but they were just so fun to do, and getting two in a row was just funny.

His ROB is pretty good, but I have a feeling I could beat him
Keep in mind we've been playing each other for quite a while these last few weeks. There's a lot of tricks he doesn't use on me because I'm too used to them for him to land them. Of course, I couldn't really say for sure. You ARE a good Kirby after all.

A lot of you seem to say I should approach ROB from the air, but I might need more specific advice. All the aerial advice I've given on ROB seems to fall apart once they've played you enough to know the matchup, at which point you are outranged/prioritized everywhere, and he seems to mindgame me into neutral air more than I mindgame him into much of anything. The only aerial I can consistently land against him is that Uair. His Ftilt seems to **** shorthops too.
How would you guys suggest going about this?

Now: punishing out of shield. if he hits your shield from behind, you need to back air him out of your shield. imo, this is like kirby's best move. not only will this happen throughout the course of the fight, but you can bait it by approaching him with your back facing towards him. incorporate this.
Wow... I can't believe I have, in the whole time I've EVER played Kirby, forgotten I can Bair out of shield >.< (I'm not being sarcastic. I seriously forgot I even had that option.)
Thanks!

When you roll behind him, follow up with a grab. not fsmash ever, though, ftilt is ok, i prefer grab.
Indeed. This is something I usually remember right after touching that yellow stick. Darn you bad instincts! But yeah, I really need to work on that.

Grabbing after a spot dodge with him tends to start spot dodge battles, which somehow always end badly for me :laugh:
Other than that though, you're right, I need to incorporate that stuff more.

Also, just for the record, Fsmash clashes with his Ftilt, and he has less lag afterwards, which is why I can't just power through it. I know it's gay, but that's how it seems to work.

Thank you very much guys for all your critiques! I'll try to work all this in.

EDIT: Oh one last thing. If I shield a gyro, he can shoot another one right away. If I spot dodge it, it stays out and he can't use it unless he picks it up, and even if he does, it gets less priority/damage, thus why I try to dodge it every time (Though I tried to dodge too much anyway.).

T-nuts

Smash Ace
Also, just for the record, Fsmash clashes with his Ftilt, and he has less lag afterwards, which is why I can't just power through it. I know it's gay, but that's how it seems to work.

EDIT: Oh one last thing. If I shield a gyro, he can shoot another one right away. If I spot dodge it, it stays out and he can't use it unless he picks it up, and even if he does, it gets less priority/damage, thus why I try to dodge it every time (Though I tried to dodge too much anyway.).
really? thats gay about his ftilt, i didnt know that. I know it goes through dtilt at least.

I mainly said to shield the gyro because you seemed to be getting hurt by the stationary gyro after it landed, mainly with his tilts pushing you back into it. Youre right that he can just shoot another one immediately though if you block it. I guess its just a personal choice haha

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
For the Fsmash comment though, last time I did that, I ate an Ftilt before I could move (Not a recorded match.).
Something's not right about that, you should never get punished from grab releasing someone. Maybe ROB's different, but I don't know. At the very worst, you can just shield or move away.

Nothing is guaranteed after Kirby's grab release*, that's where mindgames come in. Like the guy that always shielded my fsmash after grab release, I started grab releasing into a dash grab, essentially getting a few extra pummels in before I dthrew him.

* As far as I know. I don't know much about grab releases for any character, but I'm pretty sure Kirby's isn't good. I don't really understand the whole mechanics behind grab release @_@
A lot of you seem to say I should approach ROB from the air, but I might need more specific advice. All the aerial advice I've given on ROB seems to fall apart once they've played you enough to know the matchup, at which point you are outranged/prioritized everywhere, and he seems to mindgame me into neutral air more than I mindgame him into much of anything. The only aerial I can consistently land against him is that Uair. His Ftilt seems to **** shorthops too.
How would you guys suggest going about this?
I'm not sure. Spacing Bair is always a good option.

Something I've started doing a lot, and it seems to work, is this.

Approach them, facing the opposite direction. Instead of doing back air, do an up air. You should hit them or their shield with the back part of it, and then you can follow up with up tilt.

You might be the one who mentioned it, but I started doing it more after I read it, and it's pretty good to throw in. In fact, I've been using Uair a lot in general lately XD

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Something's not right about that, you should never get punished from grab releasing someone. Maybe ROB's different, but I don't know. At the very worst, you can just shield or move away.
Kirby's grab release is pure garbage in my eyes, since the opponent recovers from it faster than Kirby. In most cases though, the enemy doesn't expect it and doesn't do anything or doesn't have an attack with long enough range to cover the distance between the two of you before you can move again. ROB seems to. That or I'd just messed up that time and it traumatized me...

I'm not sure. Spacing Bair is always a good option.
But his Fair eats through Bair, which is gay and is what completely throws me off vs ROB.

Approach them, facing the opposite direction. Instead of doing back air, do an up air. You should hit them or their shield with the back part of it, and then you can follow up with up tilt.

You might be the one who mentioned it, but I started doing it more after I read it, and it's pretty good to throw in. In fact, I've been using Uair a lot in general lately XD
That's a good idea. I used it like twice maybe in those matches by accident, but now that you mention it, it seemed good. I don't think I mentioned that before though.

Equus

Smash Cadet
I seem to have a lot of trouble teching that throw for some reason... Can't say I have much G&W experience, but everytime I play one this happens.

Also, Uair goes through the key? This was my 1st time playing G&W as Kirby (And he doesn't really play G&W, which is what saved me), so I found out the hard way Bair doesn't go through it...
The matchup thread explains these. It will also tell you how to land the techs.

I want to get critiqued so bad, but I have no way to record my matches. T-T

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Equus, if you can, try to go to a tourny/smashfest near you and get someone to record it.

Also thanks, I'll check it out.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
If you want to learn how to tech Game and Watch's down throw, just go to training mode and use the other controller to control G&W. Just grab and down throw with one controller, and then practice teching with the other one. It's really easy to do, I did it a bunch of times on Friday, and then I could do it pretty much perfectly at the tournament on Saturday.

Playing offline is too good @_@

God asdioh. You're developing too big of an ego.
My ego would be big if I didn't lose every money match I played on Saturday...I'm just being honest, and saying that the ROB is not unbeatable, you just have to be careful.

~Shao~

Smash Ace
I need some help with the Ike match-up. All those jabs, the range on his aerials, those ****ing smashes that kill you so early. The only way I can win is using nothing but b-air, approach with b-air, b-air out of shield, b-air everywhere. I find it really hard to land a f-smash to get the kills, and I can't reliably gimp him, not even his over-b. I think the problem is I have an aggresive playstyle, should I be defensive against him?

I have some vids against my friends Ike. Thanks in advance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfiaU2JvG2c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXyGPvS-O7o

A1lion835

Smash Champion
I don't have a video camera (or local tournaments), but what's some general advice vs ZSS? The first one I played was today, and I got destroyed.

@MakoMako:

You were way to bair happy in the first match, and not enough after that. You didn't have many throws, and you didn't use many tilts, utilt and dtilt especially. You didn't copy him once, and his arrows, while not the best, are pretty good. You used... 2 combos (gonzo and fthrow->hammer)? While Kirby doesn't have many set combos, you have to improvise. Your edgeguarding was basically nonexistant (I might be wrong about that, too lazy to go back and check), while you got edgeguarded twice. Speaking of those edgeguards, while you couldn't do much on the first one, you should've airdodged when he came and footstooled you (though that would require some sweet reaction skills). That Kirbycide at the end: why? It just makes you look like a n00b (not the way I see it, but doing that makes you look desperate, especially against a newbie in the character they're using). Also, I just realized I hadn't said this, your shield usage was bad. Shield is good, but it almost broke 3 times. Try rolling, dodging, or just simply running away.

@Equus: Go to this thread that I conveniently made a few hours before reading your post.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Shao, all I can say against Ike is space well with Final Cutter, be spammy with it if you have to. You have almost nothing to approach a fair/nair camping Ike, except maybe running and shielding his attack. But his nair autocancels so it's kinda hard >_>

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Sorry for the double post. @Shao:

Yes, you should be less agressive. And nothing is cheap (except infinite combos). So if you have to use bair like that, use it like that. You seem to have a common problem with your throws: they're always f-throws. And all of them led to Gonzo combos. Try to be a little less predictable. After the first 2, I could tell right after your grab that it would be a gonzo combo. Or that weird version that had 2 uairs (the one that didn't work at all). Try grabbing at higher percents, and pummel when you do so. Your tilts? Better than most of the people I give advice to, but still lacking. You almost used dtilt enough, but came no where close to that with your other tilts. You have a pretty good instinct when it comes to Kirby, and I don't say that kind of thing often. That will make it much easier to get better. You could also bug fromundaman about his inability to critique people for a while, but that would probably be less sucessful;).

Edit: Okay, I've been ninja'd, so forget about that double post part.

Double Edit: Wow. I must've spent a while on that post.

Pdiamond

Smash Apprentice
Hello, a few weeks ago(before this thread was created) I made a thread asking for advice on how to improve my Kirby. Here is the link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=203956 . Anyway, for the past few weeks I have been working on my Kirby and I once again would like any advice you have to give me. Here is a link to one of my latest Youtube videos that I just recorded tonight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orLRFjDJ74o

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Thank you.

T-nuts

Smash Ace
For the most part it's really hard to tell how good a player is from a video, unless they're playing against someone that you yourself have played.

Or unless its chudat.

(waits for people to run in and say chudat isnt that good)

oh yeah, happy thanksgiving everyone.

smasher?o.0

Smash Journeyman
Pdiamond your kirby is doing a good job of staying in the air but your opp. has to be in the air as well
also when you see edgeguarders use swallow while falling then spit then right before you die so you gimp them.
7 out of 10

Pdiamond

Smash Apprentice
Pdiamond your kirby is doing a good job of staying in the air but your opp. has to be in the air as well
also when you see edgeguarders use swallow while falling then spit then right before you die so you gimp them.
7 out of 10
Thanks, I do try to do that but it doesn't work very well on ZSS.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
For the most part it's really hard to tell how good a player is from a video, unless they're playing against someone that you yourself have played.

Or unless its chudat.

(waits for people to run in and say chudat isnt that good)

oh yeah, happy thanksgiving everyone.
OMFG CHUDAT SUCKS I CN BEET HIM!!!!!1!!!!!1111!!!11

Happy Thanksgiving.

~Shao~

Smash Ace
Asdioh said:
Shao, all I can say against Ike is space well with Final Cutter, be spammy with it if you have to. You have almost nothing to approach a fair/nair camping Ike, except maybe running and shielding his attack. But his nair autocancels so it's kinda hard >_>
A1lion said:
Yes, you should be less agressive. And nothing is cheap (except infinite combos). So if you have to use bair like that, use it like that. You seem to have a common problem with your throws: they're always f-throws. And all of them led to Gonzo combos. Try to be a little less predictable. After the first 2, I could tell right after your grab that it would be a gonzo combo. Or that weird version that had 2 uairs (the one that didn't work at all). Try grabbing at higher percents, and pummel when you do so. Your tilts? Better than most of the people I give advice to, but still lacking. You almost used dtilt enough, but came no where close to that with your other tilts. You have a pretty good instinct when it comes to Kirby, and I don't say that kind of thing often. That will make it much easier to get better. You could also bug fromundaman about his inability to critique people for a while, but that would probably be less sucessful.
@Asdioh: I'll try spacing with FC next time and try not to approach him.

@A1lion: I'll try mixing up my throws, it's just that most of the time when I d-throw they usually DI/jump before I can u-tilt and up and b-throw leads to nothing combo-wise. By using the Gonzo combo, at least I can hit him with a b-air/u-air. I usually pummel, although sometimes I forget. In most match-ups I do my best to use my tilts for spacing, as you can see in some of my videos. It's just that using tilts when Ike is all over you with his freaking jabs it's hard, frequently my f-tilts are overprioritized by his jabs.

Thanks both of you for the advice :D Does anyone knows a reliable way to gimp Ike? Everytime I try to b-air his over-b I end up getting hit.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I know that he's not the best kirby. But I've seen his vids and I've seen your vids and I think you are not quite as good. Although your vids aren't recent? Do you have any more recent vids?

Oh eh.. No offence meant ofcourse. You're still a good guy.
Yeah, I meant just judging from that one vid.

I don't know why I said things like that though, I suck at this game @_@
I lost every money match I played on Saturday...then again, they were against Dingdong (came in 4th) SamuraiPanda (came in 5th) and Anther (came in 1st)
I could put in TV johns since they were all small TVs and I had to view them from weird angles most of the time, but my opponents usually had the same problem too. If only a couple of my games had been recorded though :[
...but maybe I'm glad they weren't recorded, I was so nervous Saturday that I played terribly...just can't win lol.

(my vids are all online though D: I don't have any offline vids since over two months ago, and those are just matches of me losing, and I'm better than I was then)
@Asdioh: I'll try spacing with FC next time and try not to approach him.
My biggest problem is approaching Ike too, once I get a hit in it's pretty easy, but the ones that camp aerials into jabs/grabs are just no fun to approach. Spamming Final Cutter would work, but I hate spamming so I usually fail in that area. Especially since Kirby sounds pretty annoying when you use FC.

Thanks both of you for the advice :D Does anyone knows a reliable way to gimp Ike? Everytime I try to b-air his over-b I end up getting hit.
If you're talking about gimping his Quickdraw recovery, you can either take the hit far enough from the stage so that he freefalls to his doom, or you can airdodge for the same effect, without taking damage. Or Stone.

For Aether, Stone works, or Bair him. It's pretty hard to edgehog that move, unless maybe you have 100% damage or more and use your ledge attack or roll at the right time.

Equus

Smash Cadet
Pdiamond! Remember me? ^_^

Hey, Yyrd! I've played him online!

Looking at both your new video and your old ones, I'm definitely seeing some improvement. Your playstyle is starting to go from blind rushing to high pressure offense (if that makes any sense XD).

Yay, no more stone!

I like how you're mixing up your shield and spot dodges more with your rolls, but I'm not seeing any air dodges. Some of Zamus's attacks could have been avoided with air dodges. With proper timing, they can also be used to catch her armor pieces when she throws them at you, which would be a better way to grab them than rushing to the pile. If she's far away enough, I would even eat some of them to get rid of them.

Don't be afraid to hold our your shield for longer, it's not going to run out THAT quickly. (I only just learned that myself).

I also like how you're using your jumps to avoid and punish Zamus's attacks. Even better would be using those multiple jumps to bait her into attacking so you can punish easily.

Nice final cutter usage in 2:19. FC is great for spacing as long as it's not abused.

Your over-aggression has improved, but still needs work. Remember to pay close attention to what your opponent is doing; if you see that your opponent can easily attack you from their position, going offensive might not be the best option. It might help to look through your opponent's eyes for a split second.

You're definitely improving! The next thing I would work on is your rolling habit. Save it for when you actually NEED to use it. After that, I would focus on reading your opponent's movements and taking advantage of their mistakes. Get into the habit of air dodging while your at it.

I can't wait to see your next video. ^_^

Tiersie

Smash Ace
Yeah, I meant just judging from that one vid.

I don't know why I said things like that though, I suck at this game @_@
I lost every money match I played on Saturday...then again, they were against Dingdong (came in 4th) SamuraiPanda (came in 5th) and Anther (came in 1st)
I could put in TV johns since they were all small TVs and I had to view them from weird angles most of the time, but my opponents usually had the same problem too. If only a couple of my games had been recorded though :[
...but maybe I'm glad they weren't recorded, I was so nervous Saturday that I played terribly...just can't win lol.
I can relate to the nervous bit. My tourney last sunday also went down the crapper because I was playing nervously. :\

Pdiamond

Smash Apprentice
Pdiamond! Remember me? ^_^

Hey, Yyrd! I've played him online!

Looking at both your new video and your old ones, I'm definitely seeing some improvement. Your playstyle is starting to go from blind rushing to high pressure offense (if that makes any sense XD).

Yay, no more stone!

I like how you're mixing up your shield and spot dodges more with your rolls, but I'm not seeing any air dodges. Some of Zamus's attacks could have been avoided with air dodges. With proper timing, they can also be used to catch her armor pieces when she throws them at you, which would be a better way to grab them than rushing to the pile. If she's far away enough, I would even eat some of them to get rid of them.

Don't be afraid to hold our your shield for longer, it's not going to run out THAT quickly. (I only just learned that myself).

I also like how you're using your jumps to avoid and punish Zamus's attacks. Even better would be using those multiple jumps to bait her into attacking so you can punish easily.

Nice final cutter usage in 2:19. FC is great for spacing as long as it's not abused.

Your over-aggression has improved, but still needs work. Remember to pay close attention to what your opponent is doing; if you see that your opponent can easily attack you from their position, going offensive might not be the best option. It might help to look through your opponent's eyes for a split second.

You're definitely improving! The next thing I would work on is your rolling habit. Save it for when you actually NEED to use it. After that, I would focus on reading your opponent's movements and taking advantage of their mistakes. Get into the habit of air dodging while your at it.

I can't wait to see your next video. ^_^
Thanks! I have been trying to use my tilts a lot more but it really isn't shown much in this video. I've known for the longest time that I dodge WAY to often so I am trying to force myself to stop but sometimes I just forget. I haven't added a whole lot of videos lately but I definitely have been practicing. I'll probably record and upload some videos this weekend(Yyrd and I plan to meet up to get some matches in) so feel free to comment on my future videos and fill me in if i'm doing something incorrectly ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom