• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Rate My Mario thread

Mario_ 101

Smash Ace
↑ Too much rolling.
At :16 i duno why you went for that bthrow... imo you should've used dthrow at that time.
Also less jab combos and f tilt. More d air, b air, and up airs should've been used.
Also be sure that you cancel out your RCO lag whenever possible when landing back on stage after grabbing the ledge from a SJP.

Other than those things imo you've got a nice mario. You predicted your foe well at times.

Also the part where you n aired him like 3 times in a row when edgeguarding was lol.

stealth3654

Smash Lord
↑ Too much rolling.
At :16 i duno why you went for that bthrow... imo you should've used dthrow at that time.
Also less jab combos and f tilt. More d air, b air, and up airs should've been used.
Also be sure that you cancel out your RCO lag whenever possible when landing back on stage after grabbing the ledge from a SJP.

Other than those things imo you've got a nice mario. You predicted your foe well at times.

Also the part where you n aired him like 3 times in a row when edgeguarding was lol.
Thanks Mario 101.

By the way, what is RCO lag?

Mario_ 101

Smash Ace
RCO lag is landing lag that you get after grabbing the ledge after using Mario's up b (Super Jump Punch). The lag occurs after you've used up b→ledge grab. Then the next time you jump and land you'll have a bit of lag, which isn't good. There's an easy way to cancel it though... simply use an aerial attack right before you land and the lag will be gone. There was an entire thread devoted to this actually, but idk where it is. >_>

Matt07

Smash Master
vs Marth

0:34 - Really bad DI on fsmash. DI diagonally left (or was it right?) when hit with fsmash. Well if opponent hits me left I DI diagonally up left, if opponent hits me to the right I DI diagonally to the right. Maybe I'm doing it backwards though >_>. But I know DI upwards for sure because you put yourself in a bad position to get gimped. Also don't edgehog Marth, you'll always get stage spiked. I tried caping before too, and I still get stage spiked so maybe my timing is really bad.

2:25 - Nice use of ACE.

Try to approach using shield dashing to stop getting hit by f-air, or use a full hop Fireball. Also d-air works really well vs Marth I think.

vs Toon Link

0:32 - Kirin told me to SDI (Smash DI) upwards and jump, that way you'll always avoid the second hit of dsmash

Watch how you fight when your at low percents. You're very aggresive and you get punished for it because of Toon Link's camping game. When you were at high percents you started playing the match right, you gained the momentum back. Then repeat for the two stocks. Play a bit more patiently at higher, and use more Fireball's. Also maybe a bit more of Cape too, just watch their patterns. I noticed how he would use arrow ->arrow-> approach with z-air. Take note how they camp and catch on to their patterns and punish.

Your Mario is almost like mine, we have very similar playstyles.

Oh and I updated OP.

JUDGE

Smash Lord
^that bowser sux(he probably never heard something called DI lol)

but you still played very well at the beginning
good use of fireballs, good upair chains^^
nice shielddash> grab
but later you got very agressive, didn't use much spacing bairs and stuff
against this guy it's ok^^ but against a good bowser you would definetly
get shieldgrabbed
there are other approaching ways then just fireball aproaching
make use of your dairs and nairs

at 1:02 you got fsmashed from bowser
i saw that you couldn't dodge it because of your missed bair
but you still had enough time to hold your DI
momentum cancel is not all
at higher percent you would have definetly get killed

nice tapDI at 0:36^^
yeah that' that

but again: you still played well dude^^ even if it was a bad bowser

@matt07
a question dude
i will upload some of my fights soon
but should i upload some of my tourney fights or some friendlies??
dunno which is better to critique
aaand i don't have a recorder at home, so i have to record it with a camera :(
is that ok???

thx in advance^^

ps: sry for my bad english lol^^

Matt07

Smash Master
Tournament videos are always better then friendlies, as that's when you should (lol a big should) be trying/playing at your best. Friendlies are good too, just pick ones where you and your opponent thought you've played to your best. Recording with camera's are fine too, as long as we can tell what's going on. Like recording with a cell phone would be a bad idea xD.

JUDGE

Smash Lord
hahaha^^ lol ok cuz i have no recorder^^
but yeah this is another point cuz when i play on tourneys i always play different^^
i try to find out how the opponent reacts on my moves and how delicatly they are on my mindgames and stuff to punish them later you know??

on friendlies i don't have to do this cuz i already know the playstile of my friends^^
i think i will upload tourney and friendlie matches ok??

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928

BrawLBlazer

Smash Journeyman
Wifi Friendlies

Fire! (Mario) vs. Link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqCvFNeNe0M
Fire! (Mario) vs. Link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lkAeP5DKzw

Fire! (Mario) vs. Peach - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlCL2D_dD8w
Fire! (Mario) vs. Peach - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWQQZJ-K5iA

Uploaded them along with my guide video. All of the videos are pretty entertaining. Especially with the new music/texture hacks.
That Link was good. But that first stock in the first match was just embarassing. He could have easily recovered.
Also, sometimes you used FLUDD when it was clear that your opponent wasn't going to be affected by it. Otherwise, great Mario. A lot better than mine, at least.
EDIT: Sorry, forgot "wifi" friendlies. Never mind, your Mario is great.

JUDGE

Smash Lord
fire mario, why do you **** so hard??lol^^

it was on wifi and you still played so well
my mario sucks at wifi^^ i rule offline x'DD

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
A17

First match:
0:07. You should have done a turnaround grab or D-smash (grab is better here imo). Grab from spotdodge in general is a good option.

0:14. Why did you spotdodge here? Not only are you not actually in range to punish him, you spotdodged as he charged Gyro.

0:17. Not a good idea to fireball camp when he has a hold of the Gyro. Or if he shot a laser.

Over the next 10 seconds, you used F-smash to punish him when a turnaround D-smash, grab, or U-tilt would have been the superior option.

0:30. When he D-aired, why didn't you punish it? A simple ledgedrop to doublejump aerial (U-air or B-air) would easily punished this.

Also, why did you recover so high immediately after? It's very easy for ROB to punish this.

I'm noticing in general you throw out fireballs in reeeeealy bad places...

1:16. An Up-smash would have killed him. But you used DA instead. =/

You did kinda better later in the match, but in general, you make a lot of poor choices. You use fireballs in risky positions. You don't turn around before doing "insert move" when he's behind you. And you really don't mix up enough with Mario's quick aerial game.

Oh and Fire! I think you spam Up-smash too much against that Peach, but whatever, it seemed to work lol. I prefer killing her at like 120% with Up-smash.

Matt07

Smash Master
Ooh I love this match-up, me and Sasook have so much fun playing against each other :).

Anyways, Veggi, based on that match-up...you seem to have troubles getting inside of his range. It clearly showed that in the beginning. However in the second/third stock the Link started becoming a little more aggresive, and was being punished greatly for it (good job.) However to get inside of Link's projectile spam is quite tough, but like Kirin said (I think xD) is Link players tend to have a pattern with camping. Pick up on it and punish. There are some things I was suprised about, when you just missed that last hit of usmash I was like "Ooh!", are you followed up on a d-throw at 140%. NOT a good idea, if he d-aired, you would've been flying sky high in less than a second lol. Just work on becoming more campy yourself as well (something I need to work on as well. I'm jealous of Vato's Fireball camping.)

Veggi

Smash Champion
What do you mean I followed up on a dthrow at 140%? I looked through the video again and I didn't see that happen. Just throwing that out there, I don't mean to sound rude or anything. Either way, if I dthrow him, I don't think it's statistically possible to dair before I uair. I think only fast aerials can knock Mario out of dthrow>uair.

Edit: About your videos...

When you were being pressured offstage, you would up b too early and float down, the MK should have charged a down smash instead of just waiting for you to float, but either way, it's a bad idea. Early up b's get punished really hard, especially by other characters.

Charged fsmashes arn't good. Especially when you have no reason to do it other than hope he just blindly runs into the fsmash. A lot of times you would try to approach the MK and then roll dodge away. If he gets used to that, he'll catch you out of your roll dodge. Instead of roll dodging, dash away so you arn't devoted to a task you can't stop until it's finished (aka roll dodging). Dashing away also gives you easy access to your sexy bair and you can pivot fireball while you dash away. Also, don't roll dodge torward people!

Some points when he was roll dodging or devoting himself to some task that wasn't hitting you, you could have up tilted him instead of sitting in your shield. Also, if he's dair camping you just up b his ***. Obviously don't up b right into his dair though, punish his lag. Keep in mind that you can do vertical and reverse up b's in addition to the normal one.

When you get knocked into the air and have nothing to do, charge your FLUDD.

Your DI was really good though and that MK was hella good at punishing air dodges.

Matt07

Smash Master
Veggi, wow disregard that about the Link throw, I had no clue what I was thinking, my bad. And thanks your advice I really need the tips as I have a bi-weekly this Friday, and I will keep them in mind!

And yes my DI is good, in my opinion I think it's one of my best traits with Mario. It's an Ottawa trait you learn if you ever play us haha. And yea, that MK is very good! He get's so aggresive in my fast sometimes I just get wrecked cause I dunno what to do, but eh, it's a really fun match-up and not as bad as I think it is...

Veggi

Smash Champion
As bizarre of an idea as this sounds, if you find yourself falling near MK and have a fully charged FLUDD, FLUDD yourself away from him (remember to hold the stick in the direction you want to go). It increases Mario's airspeed and pushes the opponent away at the same time. It should help against being juggled by him, although in that scenario you won't be hitting him with the stream.

You can also FLUDD MK away when he tries to edgeguard you. Just make sure you have enough distance to make it back and make sure he isn't too close to you when you do it.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Matt07, you are extremely predictable when you air dodge. That's probably your biggest problem.

You also should have attempted to Up-B out of shield against several of those Tornados, which usually works. Trying to stop Metaknight from planking is pretty futile, but if you're going to attempt that, DA and fireballs are your best bet.

Also, I just feel you need more practice spacing F-smash. It's one of the hardest things to learn to do with Mario.

Matt07

Smash Master
Alright thanks A2!

Yea...I hate air dodging period, I feel like if I'm going to air dodge anyways I'm gonna get hit, so I usually try avoid air dodging, and when I do, well I'm predictable.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Okay, Vato!

Against Snake, for starters. I've learned through experience it's unwise to be too campy against him, you wanna rack up damage as quickly as possible, which involves an aggressive camping style. Rather than what I witnessed with your video. (Lots of... camping.)

You also used fireball at some unwise moments (standing right in front of him.) And got punished for it on multiple occasions, don't fireball when you're that close to snake, they like to powershield into Ftilt.

Almost every time you approached him you went for a grab, whether or not you had a fireball in front of you. I'd mix up your game a bit because grabbing can be predicted and punished when used like that.

You should've been looking for a kill alot sooner on Snake's second stock, I would've baited an attack and punished with Usmash OoS, personally.

Otherwise, you looked quite solid. (More Dthrow techchasing against Snake, I forgot about that part!)

Also, don't worry about the grenades, they exist to distract you from the beast.

EDIT: There also might've been more subtle problems I didn't notice, I might re-watch it sometime later.

Matt07

Smash Master
Oh! That reminds my Rate My Mario, and Vato's video thread are mixing together into one thread (if I remember Vato stating correctly) because on this thread by itself it doesn't get much attention, so combined with Vato's video thread it should be 'spark' some more attention.

Javon89

Smash Ace
Hey Xero can I face you and you record, I need you or someone to analyze what the biggest problems with my Mario. This is a good opportunity to get some vids for the archive

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
(Wifi vids can be pretty bad for archives IMO. That being said, they're probably better than nothing.)

Gah Peirce... can't believe no one told me you were in town until after you left. I would have loved to have played/gotten wrecked/hopefully learned something from your Mario.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Hey Xero can I face you and you record, I need you or someone to analyze what the biggest problems with my Mario. This is a good opportunity to get some vids for the archive
Yeah, I don't play online or I would. Only on occasion when I'm bored and feel like doing allisbrawl ladder.

Veggi

Smash Champion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mmq2b7dwsxE

Here's a vid of me...sucking.

I hope to get a video of me offline and not being a ****** soon. I'll rate your Mario Silver.

Edit: Don't be so hasty to waste your second jump to move around the stage because it decreases the amount of options you have for avoiding the opponent's moves. Some things I'm sure you noticed, like charging FLUDD below the edge is a bad idea. If you need to stop charging FLUDD, it's faster to airdodge out of it rather than using FLUDD to stop it.

You used dashgrabs way too much, dash grabs are very easy to punish with a spotdodge, stick to spacing with aerials. Your edgeguarding was kind of obvious and reckless, which is what got you killed at 0% on your last stock. Try standing on the edge and charging FLUDD, then cancel it with a shield and dash into whatever edgeguarding tactic you want. It does something useful with the time they arn't vulnerable to edgeguarding and no one can tell what you're going to do (most people would think you're going to use FLUDD.) Facing away from the edge makes it rather obvious that you're going to bair and jumping out and fair'ing is just too slow to work unless they are dedicated to a slow move or they are in the middle of a recovery move.

Top Bottom