• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official SBR Brawl Tier List v1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
i like the tier list, cuz it shows how badly i can super **** a high tier character like DDD with my "crappy" fox, this list is just gonna make me look so much better lmao..
I'm glad Lucas and Ness got low. That way, when us Lucas/Ness mainers own you, it will be even more humiliating.
That is not the point of the tier list! D=

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
I don't think King DDD is that good for 3rd, Falco and G&W are because they have more **** matchups than him

Nestec

Smash Ace
Yeah, ok, I really wanna see some elaboration on these tier placings. Why each character is where they are, etc.

If the SBR Character Discussion thread reflects their tier list placings, then I guess that'll do as far as explanation goes.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Yeah, ok, I really wanna see some elaboration on these tier placings. Why each character is where they are, etc.

If the SBR Character Discussion thread reflects their tier list placings, then I guess that'll do as far as explanation goes.
Then people would start disagreeing with that >_>

Kami-V

Smash Journeyman
Ty for the tier list. I think its pretty accurate, though I was surprised about a few things (Lucas was quite a surprise for me).

People shouldn't be so down if there character is low tier. This is the first tier list and the game hasn't even been out all that long, so things can change.

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
Yeah!

Game & Watch graduated from bottom tier to top tier! He's my best in both Melee and Brawl. I can't believe my main is both a bottom and a top... =D
Captain Falcon flunked from Melee to Brawl, your opposite :/

I heard Snake and MK are banned in Japan. Anybody got any info on this?
Soft ban or hard ban? If this is true, I will no longer play Brawl competatively (this early for a ban, and to characters that aren't ban-worth, yet)!

And when we crush you, we'll laugh at you for wasting your money to play in tourneys.

:laugh:
Truth. Play at high levels and prove us wrong, or squander from the competative scene.

Ty for the tier list.
Was this referenced to me by any chance? (tier list in sig)
Edit: Nevermind >.<

Jordan178

Smash Rookie
It's a pretty nice...guess Snake does beat Sonic, and Caption Falcon...well...it's kinda sad to see him on the bottom of the "low" list... :(

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I heard Snake and MK are banned in Japan. Anybody got any info on this?
If so my opinion of the Japanese smash scene fell several levels...

MK I could sort of understand I guess (even though it so far beyond too early it's not even funny). But Snake?! No way.

Beside we all know Yoshi is the most bannable character? Am I right?

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
i feel some characters are not placed were they should be but for a 1st list not bad.

a a zelda main its my duty to say she should be a little higher (truth i do think that but were she is not that bad for her ether) i am more shocked by how low toon link is but i guess thats what happens when no one plays him. its just i remember everyone saying how great he was and how he was top tier and then people went silent.

and adumbrodeus and orlanduEX i can't say for sure but i here that is a lie and mk and snake are not banned in japan

NF Alex

Smash Journeyman
MK and Snake are soft-banned in Japan, meaning they're still allowed in competitive play, but using them is highly frowned upon and pretty much no one uses them.

It would be nice if something like this happened in the US but I doubt it would work since Americans tend to not care about this stuff lol :psycho:

Edit: I'm dumb, ignore this post -_-

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
MK and Snake are soft-banned in Japan, meaning they're still allowed in competitive play, but using them is highly frowned upon and pretty much no one uses them.
Which is effectively a ban... again I understand MK but Snake has actual counters, so he doesn't have the functional "destroys counter-picking" attribute that makes MK seem to wreck so many character's viability.

MK is too early, and Snake doesn't deserve it at all and probably never will.

It's totally a scrub move, and they only deserve our scorn for that move. (edit: if it's true, which I doubt)

Tien2500

Smash Lord
Here is the Brawl tier list minus the newcomers. In parenthesis is their tier position in Melee.

1. Mr. Game & Watch (21)
2. Falco (5)

High
3. Marth (4)
4. Donkey Kong (15)
5. Pikach.u (18)
6.Ice Climbers (7)
7. Kirby (24)

Middle
8. Toon/Young Link (17)
9. Fox (1)
10. Zelda (20)
11. Bowser (23)
12. Luigi (14)
13. Peach (5)
14. Sheik (4)

Low
15. Ness (22)
16. Mario (11)
17. Samus (8)
18. Yoshi (19)
19. Jigglypuff (10)
20. Ganondorf (12)
21. Link (14)
22. Captain Falcon (6)

I'm not trying to make any sort of point here. I just thought it was interesting data.

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
I think the list is very good and reflects the current game pretty well for now. The only thing I would say I feel differently on is that I think DeDeDe and Falco should change places. Also it seems like the top tier is pretty large, maybe I don't really think ROB belongs in the same category as Snake.

Just to throw this out there these are my predictions for future lists.

Moving up, Falco(a little), Pikachu, Toon Link, DK.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Which is effectively a ban... again I understand MK but Snake has actual counters, so he doesn't have the functional "destroys counter-picking" attribute that makes MK seem to wreck so many character's viability.

MK is too early, and Snake doesn't deserve it at all and probably never will.

It's totally a scrub move, and they only deserve our scorn for that move.
I disagree.... well... snake might be too far, but MK completely tampers with the metagame (no pun intended) by ****** FAR too many charcters and, thusly, limiting tournament tournament viable characters.... It'd be silly to ban him so early... but I think it's a GOOD thing that the japanese don't take the easy way out with MK and give lots of other charcters chances.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I disagree.... well... snake might be too far, but MK completely tampers with the metagame (no pun intended) by ****** FAR too many charcters and, thusly, limiting tournament tournament viable characters.... It'd be silly to ban him so early... but I think it's a GOOD thing that the japanese don't take the easy way out with MK and give lots of other charcters chances.
Again... too early.

It's stupid to ban characters before you can be sure that they're broken. If they're not played, they'll always be broken because nobody will know how to counter them.

Assuming the sentiment is correct, and this stays true, I'll agree... once we have a mature metagame. Otherwise it is a scrub move.

And yes, Snake, wtf?

BTW, it's not true, Samuraipanda ftw!

kenja0

Smash Apprentice
Japan has those frowning-bans and plays other characters because the Japanese usually fight with honor. Which is kinda ironic because Metaknight is all about honor, which is probably why he wins a lot because he doesn't do anything fancy for attacks other than his specials. He just cuts to the chase.
But then again, Snake (stealthy and unhonorable) is 2nd tier.
Then you have the majority of the remaining characters turning their backs on their enemies doing Bairs to approach (unhonorable, sorry Kirby).

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
Japan has those frowning-bans and plays other characters because the Japanese usually fight with honor. Which is kinda ironic because Metaknight is all about honor, which is probably why he wins a lot because he doesn't do anything fancy for attacks other than his specials. He just cuts to the chase.
Then you have the majority of the remaining characters turning their backs on their enemies doing Bairs to approach (unhonorable, sorry Kirby).
You need skill to be so stealthy like Snake. :)
Brawl isn't about honor and all this stuff. It's about having fun. :laugh:

M@v

Subarashii!
I think ROB should be above Falco. Just because ROB destroys Falco. Can one of you purple names tell me why you put Falco above ROB.
they dont go by that. They go by the character's matchups in general. Falco generally does better than R.O.B, and has been placing better in tourneys.

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
I think ROB should be above Falco. Just because ROB destroys Falco. Can one of you purple names tell me why you put Falco above ROB.
lol

they dont go by that. They go by the character's matchups in general. Falco generally does better than R.O.B, and has been placing better in tourneys.
Yes. While R.O.B. may be good against Falco, he has some pretty bad match-ups with other characters. Falco doesn't have many.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
what the character is SUPPOSED to represent... and what he actually DOES... are two different things.

MK is, for the most part, cheap... considering he has little to no bad matchups, and is not hard to be good with... it's certainly the easy way out to play as him

goodkid

Smash Lord
what the character is SUPPOSED to represent... and what he actually DOES... are two different things.

MK is, for the most part, cheap... considering he has little to no bad matchups, and is not hard to be good with... it's certainly the easy way out to play as him
While MK is really good, I wouldn't say he's the easy way out to win. When I played against my friend's MK who is really good, very tricky, I was using Zelda and I did really horrible(2-stocked). Then I thought, "ooh MK is so good why don't I give him a try." I did virtually the same & was still ***** by the same amount.

MK is good, but it still proves that mindgame/strategy is greater.

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
While MK is really good, I wouldn't say he's the easy way out to win. When I played against my friend's MK who is really good, very tricky, I was using Zelda and I did really horrible(2-stocked). Then I thought, "ooh MK is so good why don't I give him a try." I did virtually the same & was still ***** by the same amount.

Well of course! Then they would be making the game too easy then. It's not all about brute strength-You need a bit of noggins :bee:

brawler15

Smash Cadet
Captain Falcon
Meta Knight
Snake
King Dedede
Mr. Game & Watch
Falco
R.O.B.

High
Marth
Wario
Lucario
Donkey Kong
Diddy
Pikachu
Ice Climbers
Kirby
Pit
Wolf

Middle
Toon Link
Olimar
Fox
Zelda
Zero Suit Samus
Bowser
Luigi
Peach
Ike
Sheik

Low
Lucas
Ness
Mario
Pokémon Trainer
Samus
Yoshi
Sonic
Jigglypuff
Ganondorf
Link
There we go, all better now :)

Zinc Elemental

Smash Journeyman

Ahem. Meta Knight is not easier to get good with than the majority of the characters. He has just as many things you have to learn to really be a good MK as you would with anyone else.

I think where you're confused is that you have to be less good of a MK to win compared to, say, Yoshi.

I realize that it's a confusing distinction (and I apologize if I didn't explain what I meant well enough), but saying it's easy to play a good MK simply isn't true.

There we go, all better now :)
You just put Captain Falcon at the BOTTOM of the manly tier list. He was completely satisfied where he was before.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
wow, it really sets apart Captain Falcon, I knew Captain Falcon was low but not that low.

btw, who develop this list? oh nevermind I see the BR's did so

Bowser King

Have It Your Way

That may be true but....

MK> everyone else

Person with a lot of skill> Person that's not as good who mains MK

MK with more skill> MK with less skill

The main point is that the only way to beat a meta-kinight is

a) play better with your character and try to improve
or....
b) play MK and try to match/surpass your enemys skill.

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
Ahem. Meta Knight is not easier to get good with than the majority of the characters. He has just as many things you have to learn to really be a good MK as you would with anyone else.

I think where you're confused is that you have to be less good of a MK to win compared to, say, Yoshi.

I realize that it's a confusing distinction (and I apologize if I didn't explain what I meant well enough), but saying it's easy to play a good MK simply isn't true.

You just put Captain Falcon at the BOTTOM of the manly tier list. He was completely satisfied where he was before.
lolol. You can't help but feel sorry for Captain Falcon :bee:

Tim_The_Enchanter

Smash Ace
I don't know if I missed this part of the debate but whatever...

I was expecting the official list to put Captain Falcon higher up for some reason. Can someone from the BR please explain why he is bottom tier please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom