• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Solid Snake Discussion Thread

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
i really don't understand why melee was given a T rating when it had the exact same element as ssb64, until i saw peach and zelda...up their skirts...

well, who knows. i mean shadow the hedgehog had tons of swaring in it, but was still rated E10.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
i really don't understand why melee was given a T rating when it had the exact same element as ssb64, until i saw peach and zelda...up their skirts...

well, who knows. i mean shadow the hedgehog had tons of swaring in it, but was still rated E10.
SSBM had a G8+ rating not T

Zombie Cola

Smash Ace
People ignore ratings anyway. The you must be 17 or older to buy an M rated game is never enforced.

Ehh... I worked for EB Games for a year and a half (right up until that God awful merger) and I can gurantee that yes, people DO pay attention to who they sell the games to, because fines are a hassle, ESPECIALLY when they come out of your paycheck.

REØ

Smash Lord
I remember I couldn't rent a game at BlockBuster because it was rated A for adults, stupid ratings.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
No. Just no. Things aren't rated too high and we don't live in past. I just wanted to clarify that.
Where you are it is the 21st of august correct well where I am it is the 22nd so you are in the past :p or am I in the future?

And ok you don't rate things too high you just have a different rating system than we do.

Neonach

Smash Journeyman
It would be cool to have his B> special be a Grab/Choke move..kind of like Bowser's grab and bite move, but you could only do it to players facing away from you. You would be able to drag them of course, opening up a strategy of using other players as meat shields.

I wouldn't be surprised seeing a move like this because Sakurai said they didn't want him using realistic guns.

icymatt

Smash Lord
Yes, but they said they were going to use explosives. So those will likely comprise his entire special moveset.

Zombie Cola

Smash Ace
So just cuz they said they're using explosives you automatically assume they will comprise all of his special moves? I seriously doubt that.
No he was saying that that special doesn't make sense. He is using explosives as specials and I don't think anyone wants a special that forces you to be behind a characer for it to work, that instantly makes his smash B useless.

icymatt

Smash Lord
Well, I assume so because explosives seem more 'special' than just random physical attacks, unless they have some sort of special property added to them...like setting yourself on fire.

Eaode

Smash Champion
Mewtwo has an attack that forces you to be facing him. An attack that onl;y works on an enemy turned away would be very interesting. Imagine a professional match, and the whole thing is very suspensfull, then all of a sudden the opponent SHFFL's in front of snake,m so his back is facing him. And snake uses >B on the opponent and the crowd cheers.

Neonach

Smash Journeyman
No he was saying that that special doesn't make sense. He is using explosives as specials and I don't think anyone wants a special that forces you to be behind a characer for it to work, that instantly makes his smash B useless.
Mewtwo has a special that requires your opponent to be facing you. You just have to have good timing to use moves like that effectively. It wouldn't be useless.

Neonach

Smash Journeyman
Mewtwo has an attack that forces you to be facing him. An attack that onl;y works on an enemy turned away would be very interesting. Imagine a professional match, and the whole thing is very suspensfull, then all of a sudden the opponent SHFFL's in front of snake,m so his back is facing him. And snake uses >B on the opponent and the crowd cheers.
You beat me to the punch on the Mewtwo comparison. It's nice to see someone agree with my idea, though. ^__^

Zombie Cola

Smash Ace
You beat me to the punch on the Mewtwo comparison. It's nice to see someone agree with my idea, though. ^__^
Right, there is a reason Mewtwo is bottom tier, he sucks...plain and simple, plus this doesn't change the fact that the move you are speaking of sounds more like a basic throw than a special.

Neonach

Smash Journeyman
Right, there is a reason Mewtwo is bottom tier, he sucks...plain and simple, plus this doesn't change the fact that the move you are speaking of sounds more like a basic throw than a special.
Just because Mewtwo is bottom tier doesn't mean all of his moves suck. :p

..and I think the ability to use an enemy as a temporary shield makes it a little more useful than a basic throw.

Zombie Cola

Smash Ace
But you have to take into account the technical aspect of an attack, what would the REALISTIC priority be? What about the range he grabs from? Start-up time? I can see this attack working if its a kind of mix of DK's forward throw (guerilla tactics) but it would need more range and some more detail.

Eaode

Smash Champion
Just because mewtwo is bottom tier doesn't mean you can't pull and idea from one of his moves. He's bottom tier, because he's slow, light, and big.

Neonach

Smash Journeyman
But you have to take into account the technical aspect of an attack, what would the REALISTIC priority be? What about the range he grabs from? Start-up time? I can see this attack working if its a kind of mix of DK's forward throw (guerilla tactics) but it would need more range and some more detail.
It would work like Bowser's B> slash move..only you would be choking your enemy a number of times unless that character can escape fast enough. Oh...and the ability to drag them in different directions for defensive purposes. You'd obviously move pretty slow while dragging them, but you would still turn around rather quickly if say, you were being attacked by Fox's laser.

Zombie Cola

Smash Ace
What you aren't understanding is that the move SUCKS, the startup costs too long, the effects aren't great enough and it can be easily reflected. Don't get me started on how utterly weak he is.... but this is all beside the point. I have been a MG fan forever, and I'll be ****ed if they are gonna pull parts of his moveset from bottom tier characters, especially one that is too hard to use with no pay off. Now, as I said before, it could be cool if properly executed, and only with a very high priority, and only if it doesn't have some ridiculous cool down that costs you smash to the face if you happen to miss.

And Z is a throw......

Eaode

Smash Champion
Nobody pulled the move from mewtwo. It was simply said that you would probably need to be behind the person, and a refernce was made to mewtwo's vB. So your rant about Snake being pulled down to bottom tier because of one reference to mewtwo is, in its entriety, irrelevant

Zombie Cola

Smash Ace
Right, well that wasn't the gist of my rant, it was that the attack is stupid, and isn't a special, it's a throw. Secondly, tis attack, whether you agree or not, IS in fact pulled from (as stated above) Mewtwo and Bowsers moves, both of the moves this is being derived from are horrible/useless. Thirdly, at the risk of repeating myself, the move is STUPID, every character in the game can grab you, and then they can hit A and punch/kick you to deal extra damage, why would you want his THROW of all things to be limited to a rear facing character?! It's a horrible idea, this isn't a sneaking game, it's melee. Now am I saying that his sneaking abilities won't be used at all? No absolutely not, in fact it appears already that either his walk will be a creeping motion, (or maybe its the start up of an attack) but to give him a move that requires a rear facing opponent is just pointless.

Neonach

Smash Journeyman
If it was a special, it would naturally do more damage than a throw. Plus, Snake wouldn't even throw the character, it would end with a neck snap. :D

Top Bottom