• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Yoshi FAQ/Q&A Thread -- [Please look here before posting!]

Sharky

Smash Master
but you know that they're going to air release, so can't your teammate just position himself there for the strong hit?

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Grab release sets up for aerials and usmashes, grab hold sets up for fsmashes or dsmashes. (Or Weegee's Shoryuken)

In general fsmashes and dsmashes have more KO power than aerials or usmashes.

Yes, I know that's a ridiculous overgeneralization but it's still kinda true... look at the first few tiers for example

bigman40

Smash Master
Alright Yoshi community. I've looked a little into the Egg lay fake, and now, I might have some uses for it if you guys can find a way to make it easier to work. If you guys find a way to get it easier, then you'll have 30 frames to do whatever you want (I've only been able to test this on Yoshi and Wolf. It might vary, but i won't know unless I can cancel the **** thing easier). So someone find a way to make this move possible.

Sharky

Smash Master
meh, a charged usmash should be able to get the job done, unless you're someone with a really weak usmash. Also, if you're a taller character, you can re-grab from the air release.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Alright Yoshi community. I've looked a little into the Egg lay fake, and now, I might have some uses for it if you guys can find a way to make it easier to work. If you guys find a way to get it easier, then you'll have 30 frames to do whatever you want (I've only been able to test this on Yoshi and Wolf. It might vary, but i won't know unless I can cancel the **** thing easier). So someone find a way to make this move possible.
Those two are definitely the easiest. As far as making it easier just work on your spacing in trainging mode and gradually get used to the distance. The re fake though is the hard part. x_x

bigman40

Smash Master
Those two are definitely the easiest. As far as making it easier just work on your spacing in trainging mode and gradually get used to the distance. The re fake though is the hard part. x_x
Yeah, those are the easiest, but the reason why I'm asking someone to look for a better way to actually be able to pull this move off more than just by mere luck (and a hell of it at that) is cause if we were able to get this fake down, then we will have an easy kill EVERY time we connect it (Fsmash is quick enough to land before opponent regains control). To me, that's VERY important in making the killing problem much easier for Yoshi, and we'll be able to do ALOT of things with it.

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, those are the easiest, but the reason why I'm asking someone to look for a better way to actually be able to pull this move off more than just by mere luck (and a hell of it at that) is cause if we were able to get this fake down, then we will have an easy kill EVERY time we connect it (Fsmash is quick enough to land before opponent regains control). To me, that's VERY important in making the killing problem much easier for Yoshi, and we'll be able to do ALOT of things with it.
Oh wow. I didn't realize Yoshi could move sooner than the opponent. I always assumed both recovered at the same time (like on a grounded grab break), so whenever it happened, I always jabbed immediately, in the hopes that I would hit them before they hit me. It's good to know I have that much time.

.Marik

is a social misfit
We need a new, updated thread about Yoshi's grab techniques.

So, who is ChainGrababble, (lolol) who we can ChainGrab while performing fthrows, Grab combos, etc... etc...

Also a Yoshi Stage discussion thread. =O

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: There should already be a stage discussion thread. The grab thread is coming very soon, haha.

Bwett

Smash Ace
So...I've been working out the kinks...shield grabbing is legit lol. Right now, from my practice with a G&W and marth, you can shield grab G&W's turtle as well as marth's dancing blade (fairly positive yall already knew about this one).

Btw, sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong section, but it seems like most of yall read this one so it should be fine =P

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
So...I've been working out the kinks...shield grabbing is legit lol. Right now, from my practice with a G&W and marth, you can shield grab G&W's turtle as well as marth's dancing blade (fairly positive yall already knew about this one).

Btw, sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong section, but it seems like most of yall read this one so it should be fine =P
Dancing blade's kinda tricky. If they go the full 4 hits, then yeah, easy shield grab. It's more complicated before the 4th hit, though. It's hard to tell if Marth stops after say, 2 hits, since he can delay the remaining hits. If you try to grab even a little late, he can hit you with the next part of the combo before you can grab him. If you're expecting a delayed 3rd hit, and he doesn't do it, then you're stuck in your diminishing shield, with Marth standing right next to you and ready to punish anything you do.

While we're on the subject of shield grabbing, you can also shield grab Zelda's neutral-B, her upsmash, and her downsmash (if you're in her face; if you're too far from her, it'll push you too far away, like her fsmash). Really, I've found shielding in general is much better against Zelda than against most characters for Yoshi, since she has a bunch of multi-hit attacks.

There was a thread a while back that was trying to list all of the moves that Yoshi could shield grab. Too bad it died without much input. Maybe it should be revived? Or all of the shield grab stuff can go into whatever the new grab thread is going to be.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=206654

Chaco

Never Logs In
You have to space it, learn the distance needed. I don't think they're is an easier way to properly fake it. But it would greatly effect the killing %. It could allow Yoshi to kill almost 30% sooner. ;]

bigman40

Smash Master
You have to space it, learn the distance needed. I don't think they're is an easier way to properly fake it. But it would greatly effect the killing %. It could allow Yoshi to kill almost 30% sooner. ;]
Heh, not gonna be as hard now that I've found a method to getting the spacing a tad easier. >:]

Chaco

Never Logs In
Heh, not gonna be as hard now that I've found a method to getting the spacing a tad easier. >:]
Yes, I tried it and it worked a lot easier.

But we need to do this to every characters now and measure the pull back ranges. And make a chart for best follow ups and all that ****.

D

Deleted member

Dude i told you about both of these like 5 monthes ago :p

Tru fax, shield grabbing the turtle rules.

Not to be overused tho.

Metatitan

Smash Master
i think the yoshi boards should start a weekly moveset discussion like the jiggs boards do. like an example would be one week discussing d tilt's uses and the next week egg lay or something. it really helped out at the jiggs boards cuz now i see a lot more jiggs doing OoS nairs :)

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
:yoshi: That is quite nice. The idea of spotdodging to punish OoS. o_o **steals** >_>
I knew about it and even posted it before.

on feb 5th

"I use his shield against mk's tornado and marth's sword dance. What I try to do is shield most of the attack and dodge and downsmash as soon as it's about to end."

Chaco

Never Logs In
i think the yoshi boards should start a weekly moveset discussion like the jiggs boards do. like an example would be one week discussing d tilt's uses and the next week egg lay or something. it really helped out at the jiggs boards cuz now i see a lot more jiggs doing OoS nairs :)
Hmm, we'd probably kill it.

Pikamander2

Smash Rookie
I assume that this has been noticed, but Yoshi has the longest end-shield animation. On the plus side, he's the only character that can sidestep during the end shield animation.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Does Yoshi really have a longer shield drop than everyone else?

We all thought the same thing for Melee, but he has the same shield drop as everyone else in that game.

Could be the same here (that would be nice).

Chaco

Never Logs In
Alright, so I finally full adjusted to playing with tap off. I'm doing great with Yoshi right now, really doing well. So I might get the chance to play some really good people, online of course, in a huge online tournament me and a few people made. With a pretty big prize. So but the people that are in it are Ally, Holy, Samboner, Dabuz (who beat Anther), Hot_ArmS.

So yeah, I'm looking forward to this. But I need to know what to do, to step my yoshi up even more. Right now I'm making use of all my Yoshi knowledge and learning match ups. What works and doesn't. I'm applying skills of different Proshis, such as Bwett's Spot dodge OOS. So I need to help with zoning, how did you guys get good at it. I mean I'll throw out an fsmash sometime. Nearly scrape them, and then get punished. My zning is just fractions off.

Also, re-controlling the match. When your behind, and on the defensive. How would you turn things around without having to wait for them to make a mistake?

D

Deleted member

Dont get impatient.
Theres no rush. Just dont get hit, and camp :)

Dont fsmash to space until u get really good, then you can get away with that.

Bwett

Smash Ace
First off, work on fast falling your bair so where only 2 of the hits come out. It helps out alot to create small chains of combos, easier to pull off, and they won't fly off if they are at high percentages.

Next, after I learned how to do that, I worked on double pivotting into fsmashes and usmashes. Because of Yoshi's natural tendency to charge into some situations, like running to dash grab, the opponent might get used to this and space it, followed by their own grab. The double pivot will bait the dash grab and keep you out of reach. You can then follow into fsmash. If they know about double pivotting and are planning to run a bit further to punish, then use a single pivotted fsmash, it will slide backwards longer.

Example of a Single pivot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq5ti-O4bAc (Last like 10-15 seconds)

When you are behind in a match, there should be only three main things you should be doing: egg toss, pivot grab, and usmash. Space pivot grabs to force them to approach from the air. The second they jump, you can punish with usmash. As they recollect by getting to a better position, spam eggs. Do not try to follow combos under this situation. This is where you will get punished because there are frames in our combos where they can retaliate. Sounds gay but it works wonders.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Alright, thanks. I just played Dabuz. I played horrible, cause my I went into egg roll while doing ECE's around 8 times. I kept slipping my finger. It sucked and cost me matches. Literally the last stock.

Thanks, I'll work on those things Bwett.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Alright, thanks. I just played Dabuz. I played horrible, cause my I went into egg roll while doing ECE's around 8 times. I kept slipping my finger. It sucked and cost me matches. Literally the last stock.

Thanks, I'll work on those things Bwett.
lol, my name is now on the yoshi boards:) and yes you should stop that, lol, such close matches too...

Chaco

Never Logs In
Yeah, I'd do it at like 150-170 range. but it's because of what you side. I was playing to quick and aggressive of an edge game.

.Marik

is a social misfit
We need a thread with all the updated AT's.

Yeah... I need to improve my Yoshi. :(

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Most of the game's B moves are affected by diminishing returns. Yoshi's are no exception.

Top Bottom